PDA

View Full Version : Living too far from the AT

StarLyte
08-06-2006, 09:16
Depression, anxiety, loneliness, jealousy, sleeplessness, anger, desire.

These things come to mind when I think about living so far from the AT.

Those of you that live close to the AT are fortunate.

The closest point of the AT is 5 hours away from me-Duncannon, then Pine Grove 5-1/2, Harpers Ferry 6.

I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. My father and I have been driving to the Appalachian Trail since I was a child. I know most AT forest service roads better than locals do. I have film of me hiking on the AT when I was 8 years old. I'm 49 now.

I used to sneak out of the house when I visited my grandfather and run to the Trail. I always looked back at his house to make sure I kept it in sight distance. I would run as fast as I could to make it there. Once inside of it's corridor.....the world became a fantasy and I didn't want to leave that. It's still like that for me.

So, I'm used to driving this, but this past year, it is REALLY getting to me.

The desire to be closer is just hitting me like a ton of bricks and I'm tired of waking up wondering what it would be like to view a mountain in my back yard instead of a 1/2 acre of fenced in property.....all the trees in my back yard have white blazes painted on them. I have an Appalachian Trail wall filled with photos and postcards of beautiful friends and memories. I have Earl's pith helmet hanging here. My backpack sits right next to the computer so that all I have to do is grab it and take off!

Tricks would understand me. I hope he reads this.

Does anyone else go thru this?

It's very painful.

I have a beautiful life here in Cleveland, but yet, I don't.

Lone Wolf
08-06-2006, 09:25
Then get your butt to Damascus!

SGT Rock
08-06-2006, 09:25
I've lived in West Texas, Louisiana, Kentucky, and Louisiana while trying to feed my AT addiction. It helps to have other trails to help ease the desire to hike, but they are not always as fulfilling as being in the Appalachians. That said, there are some great trails out there and the AT is not the only game in town so to speak. Getting a taste of other flavors of hiking such as trails that are "wilder" can give one an appreciation of likes and dislikes about certain aspects of the AT and influence hiking styles and attitudes. Imagine eating the same good steak and baked potato dinner every day then one day getting to eat a nice boiled crab leg dinner. Both are great, but you can get tired of one and it makes appreciation of the other that much better.

So how I coped was hiking what trails I could, posting on WhiteBlaze and other sites, and make it to the AT whenever I could.

And as soon as the oportunity arises, move somewhere close to the trail.

JojoSmiley
08-06-2006, 09:36
Starlyte, you have a great trail out there in Ohio, its called the Buckeye Trail. Goes all the way around Ohio and has some really great little pieces in conjunction with the North Country Trail. Hocking Hills has a section named for Grandma Gatewood. Beautiful cave there, huge! Check it out and Savor those moments too!

Lilred
08-06-2006, 09:54
I go thru the exact same thing every time I think about living on a lake. I grew up on a lake and my folks sold the place when I was 18. For 30 years I've dreamed of getting back on one. And you're right, sometimes it darn well hurts. Well, it looks like my dream is about to come true although with a price. We purchased a lake lot 10 years ago. My youngest is now a senior, and my husband and I have decided it's time to do it. The price we'll have to pay is an hour and 15 minute commute. I think I can live with that to have my dream come true.

I highly recommend trying to make your dream come true. If it's at all possible for you, make the move. We're not getting any younger, and I want what I want while I can still enjoy it. I read somewhere that God gives each person a special place that touches their heart in order for us to know Him better through His creation. It's a lake for me, sounds like it's the AT for you. I say go for it. My sister is 53 and she just quit her job as a nurse, sold everything she owned up in Michigan and moved to Key West, Fl. She's loved that place since she was 18. She now sells jewelry she makes at Mallory Square.
Making the decision to move is a scary thing. We're giving up a town I've come to love over the last 15 years, friends we probably won't see again, a lifestyle I've grown accustomed to. I've been weighing all this in my head, but my desire and need to be on a lake is paramount now. I feel like if it doesn't happen now, it never will, and that is NOT an option.
My advice Starlyte, make the move. Move heaven and hell to make it happen. Got a husband? Convince him you need this for your sanity and health. My hubbie knows my 30 year dream. He was there when I broke down in tears of joy when we bought the property. He's seen me shed tears more than once over the loss of that lifestyle. Thank goodness we don't have to quit jobs.
I'm 48 Starlyte, and time is flying by so very fast these days. Ten years from now I'll be kicking myself in the arse if I don't do this. What will you be doing 10 years from now? Staring at that fence?
Did you post this thread to find kindred spirits or to find someone to kick you out of Cleveland and all the way to the mountains?
Consider yourself kicked, from a kindred spirit.

fishinfred
08-06-2006, 10:03
I can relate Starlyte as I am stuck here in Mi. feeling the same way about being so far from the trail.I can feel it calling me back everytime I click this site open ,or every night when I wish I could hear the owls ,or with every sticker or pendant I make it is pulling at me and I want to run back but just can't.I have an elderly mother that keeps me from moving for if i leave the responsability falls on my daughter to care for her grandma,and she is getting married in oct., so I just keep plugging along staying as close as I can to the good thoughts of the trail and the friends Ive made out there .I've just about worn out the 3 CDs i got from Takoma Ted at Trail Days........Calling me back.....
Eventually I hope to move somewheres close to the Trail (like Damascus) and open a little Appalachian Gift and Souvenier store with a bunkroom in the back .......
For now I just have to wait and keep making stuff (to keep my sanity) but I know I'll be making it back someday!
In fact I may try and complete my hike this fall Monson to Harpers Ferry after the FEED . My pack is ready and so am I.... but its not worth making plans as for me plans keep changing so I just go with the flow ...it will happen when it happens .....
Keep dreaming Starlyte and it will happen!
:banana
See ya out there eventually!
PEACE
Fishinfred

Nean
08-06-2006, 10:14
I have film of me hiking on the AT when I was 8 years old. I'm 49 now.

First of all, watch your typos! I'm sure that must be a 3, not a 4.:)
Too bad you missed the post about me moving. We had a mountain in the front AND the back yard while the trail crossed our driveway. It was neat to look out your window and see the hikers. No nieghbors, surrounded by the Pisgah NF. Damn StarLyte, now you got me depressed.:o
We live in hell now, aka New Orleans, but are always looking for a place and dreaming. I can see us w/ a hostel on the Divide by next spring. Life is short, the trails are long.... plenty of room and reason to move!:D

Amigi'sLastStand
08-06-2006, 10:19
Funny I should come across this post now. I have arrived in back in Fl now, and one of my first thought after I laid in bed my first night back was," Damn, gonna be hard getting to any gatherings now." I have the Florida Gathering that frieden and I got organized, so I hope that calms my addiction somewhat, but I sure do miss being 1.5 hrs from the AT. I love the FNST, as I live right on it, but the majesty and grace and history of the AT just aint replaceable. I wish Benton MacKaye had turned south from GE all those years ago. Then he could have ended at Mt. Key West!

Footslogger
08-06-2006, 10:51
The closest point of the AT is 5 hours away from me-Duncannon, then Pine Grove 5-1/2, Harpers Ferry 6.

I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. Does anyone else go thru this?

It's very painful.

==================================

First off ...I was born in Cleveland too.

Second ...if you thing YOU'RE far away just imagine living in Wyoming. Sure, we've got some great trails/hiking out here but if you feel a special connection with the AT like we do it DOES get painful now and then, especially in February/March and again in September/October.

For the past several years we've made the pilgrimage back east, generally for Trail Days, and combined that with some hiking. But ...it ain't cheap and it does get rougher and rougher every year.

'Slogger

Vi+
08-06-2006, 11:31
StarLyte,

Some dreams endure, some pass with time. The problem is, knowing what you’ve got.

I used to hunt deer. I’d scout them for a week or two, then hunt them a week or two. One time I even camped under a very low Fiat, in snow I had to scoop out each morning and evening, to get beneath and out from under the car.

I would sometimes unexpectedly bump into some long-abandoned homestead, while hunting out in the middle of nowhere, and think how much I would prefer to live there.

I’ve lived and worked all other the U.S. and overseas. I moved to a very small house with a great yard, almost a hundred acres. I see the Appalachian mountains and drive to the AT in about 45 minutes.

I discovered I really just wanted to get farther away from people and more into nature. I no longer hunt.

I commuted 66 miles each way, to and from work. Hiking the Appalachian Trail was a dream which helped me cope with working until I retired. I started a Thru-Hike but aborted it shortly after beginning when a knee problem flared up. I day-hike, hike overnight, and section-hike as I prefer. A Thru-Hike is still a dream, but may remain just that. I can live with that.

So, for my wife and me, rural living is very important. Hiking the AT is great - our close proximity to the AT probably has kept us from moving elsewhere - but it’s not as enduring a need as is the rural lifestyle. You may be able to satisfy your needs elsewhere; or not.

Oh, what to do, what to do? That is a problem.

MOWGLI
08-06-2006, 11:44
The grass is always greener.... Relocating to Chattanooga has been nice, but dang, I do miss New York sometimes, and living 5 minutes from the AT. So, what's our next move you ask? Probably Colorado in about 3-4 years. Huh? That makes no sense! Well, actually, I have a sister out there and our eldest daughter is about to move there. So it does make sense on some level.

Like Jo Jo said, these days I focus more on "other" trails. To me, the AT is not the "be all and end all", but then again, I've done a thru-hike. If I was sectioning away, I might feel differently.

Figure out what you want, and make it happen! Ready, aim, aim, aim, aim, aim, aim, aim, aim gets you nowhere. You have to eventually pull the trigger.

StarLyte
08-06-2006, 12:25
Hey JoJo--Yes I'm on the Buckeye Trail frequently. You can't tent anywhere near here so I do travel a bit to backpack. I belong to 3 hiking groups in NE Ohio as well. 3 weeks ago it was too hot to hike and we riverwalked. Rockdancer and I were just on a bit of the Buckeye Trail a month ago: http://tinyurl.com/fnzx5

Nean (http://gallery.backcountry.net/album54/aak) you are so charming.

'Slog - I bet you have a beautiful view in Wyoming! But yes, you are really far away.

Lone Wolf---I'll see you real soon.

Doctari
08-06-2006, 19:25
Hanna Hanger lives in Hawaii, that is a bit further than Cleveland :p

I'm planning a trip next April or May (2007) SOOO, if you only want to drive to Cincinnati, My wife will be dropping me off just south of Roan Mt & (My plan is) I'll hike to Damascus. Wife will stay with friends nearby, & pick me (US?) up in Damascus.

Doctari.

soad
08-06-2006, 19:30
all the trees in my back yard have white blazes painted on them.

I read this quote this afternoon and went out and painted a 2x6 inch white blaze on a tree in the woods behind my house....THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Freeman
08-06-2006, 19:46
I see a cabin in your future.....elec, water, sewage, simple.
A small porch, surrounded by woods, fireplace.
You are in love.
No one else lives around for miles.
There are blue blazes in your backyard leading to......
....stay tuned

Gray Blazer
08-06-2006, 20:14
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I'll try again...I just wrote a long post and the website said I wasn't logged in.......

Try 10 hours! I know it's a choice and one day we intend to move near the trail, probably somewhere near Damascus. Until then I'll be hanging out at Whiteblaze and living the trail vicariously through the rest of you. We just got back from a trip up north. We hiked 20 miles near Dicks Creek Gap, camped out on Albert Mountain (Got some great shots) camped at Beauty Spot and rafted the Pigeon River (a lot of water) ate at Erwin Burrito ..AND...found Miss Janet's hostel. Funny thing, she wasn't home, she was vacationing in FL. One day I'll meet you, Miss Janet! Moonshine, her housesitter was very nice and gave us the tour and told us stories about Miss J and the hikers. It felt funny being in your kitchen w/o you being there. You could call your place "Boot Hill" (I'm sure others have told you that). My son and his girlfriend gave me my 1st real trail name....Viewmaster! I'll go by gray blazer for now. I already had Attroll change my name on this website once. This may be one of my longest post, so, to all of you who haven't put me on your ignore list, thanks for reading. I intend to sponser another thru-hiker feed on Black Bald in March. I'll need some help. I intend to make it an annual event (as Archie Bunker would say, "That means once a year".) Where's Neo? Hi, Larry. I'll post some new pics to my gallery tomorrow.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Gray Blazer
08-06-2006, 20:15
Whoops, I forgot. See ya at the FL gathering.

Programbo
08-06-2006, 20:38
While I don`t exactly live right on the AT I can reach pretty much any point from Northern Virginia thru Southern PA within 60-90 minutes (I actually hiked a section near Pen Mar earlier today and then in the afternoon I drove down near Harpers Ferry and did a small section)...I can understand how you feel though..I`m sure we ALL live far away from someplace we love to spend time and are jealous of those who are there all the time...But please remember that those who live in that place often take those places for granted and don`t give them a second thought...I often drive thru Washington DC and look at the White House or the Capitol building or whatever and think, "Boy these people have come from all over the country and around the world to see this stuff and it`s just background junk to me."

Hitch
08-06-2006, 21:03
I live in a CDT trail town and only abouy .5 miles off the trail but I long for the AT. There's just something about the AT that speaks to me. I'm planning a month in September. Can't wait!!

Shutterbug
08-06-2006, 22:55

It's very painful.

My home is approximately 3,336 miles from the AT and some of the best hiking in the world is less than 50 miles from me. Still, I have to return to the AT once a year to get my "AT fix."

Week after next is my time for this year. I am flying back to Maine to do the 100 mile wilderness again. I can hardly wait.

partly cloudy
08-06-2006, 23:12
Hay ya Starlyte,
I know about distance to the AT. 5 hours to HF, 3 1/2 to DWG. I live
in the Allegheny National Forest, near the NCT. when I get the uncontroable urge, I hit the NCT. I know, I know, not the AT. I was raised in Pittsburgh and had to get out of there. So now, 550,000 acres are my backyard.
Northeast Oh is not far from Northwest Pa. and you can camp anywhere over here.

Ridge
08-06-2006, 23:29
........The closest point of the AT is 5 hours away from me-Duncannon, then Pine Grove 5-1/2, Harpers Ferry 6. ......

Caledonia State Park just east of Chambersburg, PA (south of Harrisburg PA) might be closer from Cleveland.

Jaybird
08-07-2006, 07:48
Depression, anxiety, loneliness, jealousy, sleeplessness, anger, desire. These things come to mind when I think about living so far from the AT.Those of you that live close to the AT are fortunate.............etc.,.........It's very painful.

Yo StarLyte........................MOVE!

hehehehehehehe:D

ASUGrad
08-07-2006, 11:21
It's something that is easy to take for granted. I spent many a night sitting on a porch looking at Angel's Rest Mtn and wondering what it would be like to climb it. Then I went to bed.

Cookerhiker
08-07-2006, 20:23
Depression, anxiety, loneliness, jealousy, sleeplessness, anger, desire.

These things come to mind when I think about living so far from the AT.

Those of you that live close to the AT are fortunate.

I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio. My father and I have been driving to the Appalachian Trail since I was a child. I know most AT forest service roads better than locals do. I have film of me hiking on the AT when I was 8 years old. I'm 49 now.

I used to sneak out of the house when I visited my grandfather and run to the Trail. I always looked back at his house to make sure I kept it in sight distance. I would run as fast as I could to make it there. Once inside of it's corridor.....the world became a fantasy and I didn't want to leave that. It's still like that for me.

So, I'm used to driving this, but this past year, it is REALLY getting to me.

The desire to be closer is just hitting me like a ton of bricks and I'm tired of waking up wondering what it would be like to view a mountain in my back yard instead of a 1/2 acre of fenced in property.....all the trees in my back yard have white blazes painted on them. I have an Appalachian Trail wall filled with photos and postcards of beautiful friends and memories. I have Earl's pith helmet hanging here. My backpack sits right next to the computer so that all I have to do is grab it and take off!

Tricks would understand me. I hope he reads this.

It's very painful.

My sympathies Starlyte. I just returned from visiting my daughter in Champaign, IL where's she's working in a Post-doc position. I couldn't help but think of the distance from the AT and the dearth of mountains in that flat-as-a-pancake landscape. But I hear there's good cycling and canoeing.

I guess we all have to make the best of it.

StarLyte
08-07-2006, 20:54
Hay ya Starlyte,
I know about distance to the AT. 5 hours to HF, 3 1/2 to DWG. I live
in the Allegheny National Forest, near the NCT. when I get the uncontroable urge, I hit the NCT. I know, I know, not the AT. I was raised in Pittsburgh and had to get out of there. So now, 550,000 acres are my backyard.
Northeast Oh is not far from Northwest Pa. and you can camp anywhere over here.

Hey thanx! I hiked there many years ago with my father. He took me everywhere in the surrounding states camping, fishing, but mainly the AT.

A local friend and I are planning a hike in the Allegheny this year.

Kerosene
08-08-2006, 08:28
all the trees in my back yard have white blazes painted on them.I have an AT diamond tacked to a pine tree at the top of a small hill in my yard...I thought I was the only one.

WhiteBlaze helps to "keep in touch" with the Trail, but I really, really look forward to my annual section hikes. Since I now have to be in greater New York on business with some regularity, I've taken to going out for an afternoon or weekend to walk some of the NY/NJ AT when I get a chance.

Ultimately I hope to retire to the Asheville, North Carolina area so I can finally live in the mountains and get to the AT whenever I feel like it.

mrc237
08-08-2006, 10:14
gettin cabin fever reading these posts

Lone Wolf
08-08-2006, 10:18
gettin cabin fever reading these posts
Then come to Damascus and tip a few sociables. We'll do an over-nighter or two.

mrc237
08-08-2006, 10:31
Thinking about Harriman SP and 24 mile Bear Mtn-Suffern Trail--- great pub at the end----leaving mon. I'll have a cupla 2-3 sociables wed pm going to a memorial for Capt Vinnie Brunton on fri. Have a cupla there as well! When you're havin a cupla on fri at Dots toast one to him.

Lone Wolf
08-08-2006, 10:47
Thinking about Harriman SP and 24 mile Bear Mtn-Suffern Trail--- great pub at the end----leaving mon. I'll have a cupla 2-3 sociables wed pm going to a memorial for Capt Vinnie Brunton on fri. Have a cupla there as well! When you're havin a cupla on fri at Dots toast one to him.
I will. And I'll be wearing "the shirt".

otterman
08-08-2006, 11:42
I'm with you Starlyte. The hiking in Ohio sucks. There is Hocking Hills and Shawnee, but otherwise it is hard to find good hills to hike. I'm a little more fortunate since GSMNP is only about four hours away. Part of the problem for me is this weather we've had the past few weeks. It makes it miserable and hard to go outside let alone hike. That is contributing to my bad mood big time. I think that I belong to one of the groups that you belong to in Ohio. I believe I read about your river walk. I'm headed to Shawnee this weekend no matter what the weather. :datz

Kerosene
08-08-2006, 15:05
Hey, the hiking in lower Michigan is even worse.

spandau
08-10-2006, 21:22
My first post on Whiteblaze - here goes nothing. :-)

StarLyte, greetings from another northeastern Ohioan.

I am new to the AT, but I've been running around in the woods since I was small, and when I found out about the AT, it was an instant obsession. With any luck, I'll be hitting the trail next March. Right now, I'm breaking in my new Lowas and hiking up every hill in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, however wimpy they might be, all the time imagining that I'm on the AT.

My Place of Dreams is the Pacific Northwest, especially the Cascades, but if the AT gets a good grip on me, I'm going to have a real dilemma. I'll join the others who have said 'no time like the present.' Go to realtor.com and look at properties near your Place of Dreams; it's what cheers me up when I have a 'can't-stay-in-Ohio-one-more-day!' day.

Best,
Spandau

StarLyte
08-10-2006, 21:49
I'm with you Starlyte. The hiking in Ohio sucks. There is Hocking Hills and Shawnee, but otherwise it is hard to find good hills to hike. I'm a little more fortunate since GSMNP is only about four hours away. Part of the problem for me is this weather we've had the past few weeks. It makes it miserable and hard to go outside let alone hike. That is contributing to my bad mood big time. I think that I belong to one of the groups that you belong to in Ohio. I believe I read about your river walk. I'm headed to Shawnee this weekend no matter what the weather. :datz

I'll be in Hocking Hills the weekend of Aug. 25-27. I'm joining a group there, all of us packing into one cabin, but I'm going to put up my tent. There's only 4 small trails there, and I'll be hiking all of them.

I've been on the Buckeye Trail a lot, but it just doesn't stimulate me. Not only that, you have to be careful where you set up a tent-it just isn't allowed everywhere, nor safe in a lot of places.

I bike a lot, as a matter of fact, I've biked every trail in NE Ohio and working my way south. I live 1/4 mile from Edgewater State Park on Lake Erie, so I'm always there too. If it wasn't for a beautiful view of Lake Erie at sunset, that would suck too. ha ha
PM me if you'd like to hang out somewhere. I just mapquested you. Take care.

StarLyte
08-10-2006, 22:03
My first post on Whiteblaze - here goes nothing. :-)

StarLyte, greetings from another northeastern Ohioan.

I am new to the AT, but I've been running around in the woods since I was small, and when I found out about the AT, it was an instant obsession. With any luck, I'll be hitting the trail next March. Right now, I'm breaking in my new Lowas and hiking up every hill in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, however wimpy they might be, all the time imagining that I'm on the AT.

My Place of Dreams is the Pacific Northwest, especially the Cascades, but if the AT gets a good grip on me, I'm going to have a real dilemma. I'll join the others who have said 'no time like the present.' Go to realtor.com and look at properties near your Place of Dreams; it's what cheers me up when I have a 'can't-stay-in-Ohio-one-more-day!' day.

Best,
Spandau

Ein schönes Gedicht, das Sie geschrieben haben. Hier ist ein Ende für es:
Und nur wie die Bäume,
Wir waren geboren allein
Und wir werden allein sterben

Greetings to you neighbor.
I'd like to follow you on your hike. Will you have a journal?
I've been hiking in CVNP for many years. I love it there. I have yet to visit the hostel though, meant to do this on my last hike.
I remember when I broke in my new Merrills, I wore Dr.Scholl's high impact insoles and it felt like I was walking on clouds! Try that.
Let's keep in touch okay? I'm going to PM you.
Marsha
"StarLyte"

spandau
08-11-2006, 00:01
Vielen Dank!

Those lines are from a poem that I learned years ago because I loved it. I cannot remember the author's name, unfortunately. I believe the title of the poem is "Im Nebel."

I've also walked or biked by the hostel, but have never visited. It looks like a neat place, though. Am I wrong in thinking that there is nowhere in the CVNP that allows camping? I may end up trying out my new gear at my MIL's place out in Medina County. (It backs up onto the Rocky River.)

I got your PM, and sent you an email. Great to meet you, and great thread.

spandau

jpepper
08-12-2006, 20:03
hey yall, im all the way in san diego, we hardly have trees out here! i think of the trail about 10-15 times a day, so much that i think im making up images now. when i get into that dank forest again my life will be complete:rolleyes: