PDA

View Full Version : PCT Bear Question

Mouse
08-06-2006, 11:24
I used Dr Bronners soap on my AT thruhike and had no trouble with bears. Accepted wisdom is that bears there have not learned to connect the strong peppermint scent with food so ignore it.

Is that true on the JMT as well? I am going from Tuolumne Meadows to Red Meadows including a night in Lyell Canyon. I'd hate to wake up with a bear mistaking me and my clothes for a giant snack. Is Dr Bronners safe there for anything but dishwashing or should I leave it at home?

Nean
08-06-2006, 11:31
I'd be safe and stinky if it were me. Why find out the hard way if bears really do like peppermint flavored hikers. Just remember all of those biodegradable soaps degrade in soil, not water.

Hana_Hanger
08-06-2006, 12:12
Aloha Mouse,
When you leaving for the JMT I am on my way in Sept as well.
I have been informed by the Park Rangers here on Island that use to be assigned at Yosemite to not even bring peppermint toothpaste...unless it ALL goes in the bear canister! I use the same soap so I guess its stinky time and I hope my wipe n dipes that say unscented are truly as stated.

fiddlehead
08-06-2006, 21:34
If you camp where no one camps, you won't have any bear problems on the JMT. Learn to stealth camp, above treeline is best.

Hana_Hanger
08-07-2006, 00:22
Looks like the hammock is for sure out!!! ( ahhhhh I knew it was...but bringing it for day time naps)
Thank you fiddlehead for that suggestion!

Nean
08-07-2006, 02:31
Learn to stealth camp, above treeline is best.

I'd add: Facing east and on the eastern side of the ridge. Love those moutaintop sunrises and warm rays on a chilly morn.:sun

Hana_Hanger
08-07-2006, 05:42
Thanks Nean I am writing down this hint as well...senior moments seem to be coming in quickly as I rush to prepare, and waiting for my new pack to arrive.

Sly
08-07-2006, 07:45
First day out from TM if you can make it past Lyell Canyon, just below Donuhue Pass there a nice spot to camp by a small lake. No eastern view though, that's on the other side of the pass. As it is, most of the JMT is on the western slope.

kyhipo
08-07-2006, 08:48
I encountered some bear down off the pct going into sequoia grove area,and well they didnt really bother me!I usually sleep with my food bag tucked inside my pack.I did stay at a campground and they were everywhere lodgepole in sequoia nat park.ky

Ewker
08-07-2006, 09:01
If you camp where no one camps, you won't have any bear problems on the JMT. Learn to stealth camp, above treeline is best.

don't you have to camp at the designated campsites on the JMT?

Ewker
08-07-2006, 09:19
don't you have to camp at the designated campsites on the JMT?

nevermind, I looked it up and you can. There are some places that are off limits though

fiddlehead
08-07-2006, 09:26
Beats me? I don't think so. It's not the kind of question i would EVER ask.
Once when i did the JMT, they closed the park to all unless you had a backcountry permit. (fires) We had just gotten a 20 day one. We got stopped a lot when we were near Yosemite village with angry looking rangers.
We showed our permit and there was nothing they could do. you could tell it bothered them.
But i find that stealth camping is usually always the best way.
Another time we did the JMT we were attempting to do it in 5 days and the little bit of sleep we got was wherever we dropped. I can't imagine someone trying to chase us down to see if we were camping where they wanted us to. We looked like day hikers anyway with our tiny packs. (my buddy must've set a record with his 4 lb pack) and this was back in 2000. We did do a food cache that trip and caught hell for it. WE put the food where no bears could ever get it, but the ranger chewed us out anyway. That was the best trip i did there because we were always up and hiking at dusk and dawn as well as 2 hours before and after. These are great times of day to hike. I have some incredible pictures from that one. Anyway, i'm not the kind of guy that does well with rules. I prefer living in places where they don't have many. (and hiking)