PDA

View Full Version : Section hike question...

Spcshiznit
08-06-2006, 12:28
I’m starting the first leg of my section hike next May after I graduate from college. My goal is to go from Springer to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:City>Damascus</st1:City>, <st1:State>VA.</st1:State></st1:place> Now, the only hiking/camping I’ve ever done was in the military, so I’m kind of interested in seeing what the trail holds for me. My question is how long should it take to get there? I’ve allotted 8 weeks worth of time, and I’m pretty sure I could get there in that amount of time. Also, realistically how far could someone get in 8 weeks? Including zero days, a slow start to get acclimated, and various other delays that will arise.

Thanks in advance for all the advice. ~spcshiznit~

DawnTreader
08-06-2006, 12:48
pick a starting point and start walking.. the trail will tell you when your done..

map man
08-06-2006, 12:51
Assuming you keep going the entire 8 weeks and aren't sidelined by injury, health, disillusionment, etc., you would in all likelihood end up somewhere in Virginia if you start north from Springer. If you are on a smell-all-the-roses pace (that of a typical thru-hiker taking 7 months to hike the whole trail) you'll get to Damascus or a little beyond. If you're on a pretty-darn-quick pace (like that of a thru-hiker taking 4 months to complete) you'll likely get to just short of Harpers Ferry by then. If you're more typical, you'll land somewhere in between like Pearisburg, the Roanoke area, or Waynesboro. To put it another way, if you average 9 or 10 miles a day, including zero days, you'll get to southern Virginia. Fifteen or sixteen miles a day would take you to northern Virginia. As you are inexperienced and don't know your likely hiking pace it's impossible to pin it down beyond that.

StarLyte
08-06-2006, 13:04
Spcshiznit....

just depends if you want to hike WITH the thru hiker crowd or not.

Go to the ATC website (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.715465/k.9731/Hike_The_Trail.htm) and research your areas.

Attend a hiker event:
The Gathering, PA Ruck, Southern Ruck, Trail Days-but this is in May.

Or, as mentioned, just start anywhere you chose and hike it!

You always have this site to return to for any questions, or opinions ;)