PDA

View Full Version : Longest section without a day off?

Sly
08-07-2006, 08:34
I never really kept track but I do remember hiking all of Maine without an entire day off. Included was five days of slacking, 2 in Andover, 1 in Monson, 1 from Abol bridge to Katahdin stream and 1 from Katahdin stream to Baxter Peak and back. My longest day in Maine was 17 miles, shortest three.

28 days for the 280 miles.

You?

Nean
08-07-2006, 09:09
Funny, I took pride in how many days I took off. Can't recall my longest stretch w/o, but it would have to be in AT9 when I took 20 days off on my thru. By 96 I took 64 0s in under 6 months. Good times fer shore.;)

Lone Wolf
08-07-2006, 09:13
In 2000 I had around 120 days off in 9 months and 1600 miles of hiking. All white blaze too! I've never hiked more than 5 days without a day off.

Sly
08-07-2006, 10:17
You zeros need to start your own thread! ;)

The most I took off in a row had to be in Damascus. Every day I planned to leave someone else would come into town, "Ah come on Sly, let's go have a pizza and pitcher of beer!" I finally snuck out of town about 5:30AM.

The Old Fhart
08-07-2006, 10:44
From having section hiked the trail 11 years earlier I knew I'd go stir-crazy doing a zero in town. What I did on my thru was get into town after noon and do laundry, shopping, mailing, etc., and then either head out before dark to camp or stay in town overnight and head out early the next morning, kinda a NERO.

My first zero day from Springer was Damascus (36 days) and then after reaching Waynesboro I took a scheduled break to go home for a graduation. After getting back from that break, my next zero was Kent (37 days) where I took 4 days to go home, get new gear and resupply. Kent to Franconia Notch was 22 days then after 2 days off it was Franconia Notch to Katahdin in 27.

It all depends on your personal overall plan and logistics so no one way is better than the next as long as you accomplish what you want to do.

Sly
08-07-2006, 10:52
Yeah, many times I'd get into town early and then leave the next day late, especially if I was staying in a motel. Something about getting my money's worth. I'd be taking 24 hours off, but hiking part of each day.

On the CDT, I took 10 zeros but no more than 1 complete day off at a time, except when I took the bus back to NM from MT to finish.

DawnTreader
08-07-2006, 12:17
I didn't take any full zeros in maine.. neros in monson, stratton, rangely and andover.. takin' it easy.. 20 mile top, 3 mile low.. I did like sly.. get into town early, leave early next morning....

The Solemates
08-07-2006, 16:31
we took 9 zeros on our thru of 5 months, with nearly 3 consecutive days off to go into NYC. our longest stretch was about a month without a day off.

SGT Rock
08-07-2006, 17:46
13 days. But hey, I am only a section hiker, that was also my longest trip on the AT.

Cookerhiker
08-07-2006, 20:17
I never really kept track but I do remember hiking all of Maine without an entire day off. Included was five days of slacking, 2 in Andover, 1 in Monson, 1 from Abol bridge to Katahdin stream and 1 from Katahdin stream to Baxter Peak and back. My longest day in Maine was 17 miles, shortest three.

28 days for the 280 miles.

You?

Hey Sly - my Maine experience was almost identical. 28 days total. Longest 17 miles (Sidney Tappen nCampsite to Cooper Brook Falls LT), shortest about 3 (Sugar Loaf to Caribou valley Road), slacking out of Andover. But I took one zero day at the height of Hurricane Katrina.

Johnny Swank
08-07-2006, 21:57
I took way too many zeros on the AT, but we only took 6 full zeros when we paddled the Mississippi. A few Neros, and a I liked that much better

dloome
08-07-2006, 23:01
I went from Erwin, TN to Waynesboro, VA where I was forced to take a zero and wait for a package. I think my next 0 after Wayesboro was Dalton, Massachusetts where I took a zero at the Birdcage because I'd sprained my ankle. I don't like 0's much.

mweinstone
08-07-2006, 23:08
who ever walks right thru damascuss stopping only at doller general and leaving within an hour?

nobody me thinks. its a friccin zero mostel hostel.what with all the song and dances with food.

Johnny Swank
08-07-2006, 23:23
I almost took a zero in Damascus on a four-day trip a while back! That place has some gravity anyway, and Dave and Jeff's hostel is awesome. My ladyfriend, being the smarter of the two of us, talked some sense into me.