View Full Version : Getting married on Spring

08-07-2006, 15:43
My fiance and I are getting married atop Springer Mtn this October (he proposed to me there a few weeks ago!). We're keeping it super simple, then backpacking for the next week for our honeymoon. Easy enough, right?

My problem is-- finding an officiant to perform the ceremony. We are both TN residents and don't attend a church. I've tried contacting the Fannin County Probate Court (handles these things), and the person they suggested did not return my calls. Neither did a company which provides such services in GA. Any suggestions?


Jack Tarlin
08-07-2006, 15:52
I'd get in touch with officials in a nearby town (say Dahlonega) and see if they know of a minister or Justice of the Peace who might be available. If town officials can't help, try the Chamber of Commerce or local newspaper.

Or better yet, try the folks at www.hikerhostel.com who live in the area. Perhaps they can think of somebody. (you can write them at hikerhostel@yahoo.com)

Congratulations, and have a wonderful wedding.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-07-2006, 17:04
Adding my congrats. If what Jack suggested doesn't help you find a minister or other official to perform the wedding, try contacting the Georgia Appalachian Trail Club (http://www.georgia-atclub.org/) which maintains that section of the AT.

08-07-2006, 18:30
Congrats here too--we did the same at the DWG last year, and yesterday was our 1st anniversary (we took a backpacking trip on the AT to celebrate, of course.)

I agree with F.Dinosaurs--perhaps someone in the GATC knows a minister or is a minister who might help you out. Best of luck!

08-08-2006, 10:34
Thanks a lot, ya'll. I'll try contacting them to see if I can get any suggestions/names.

I have already contacted the appropriate courts (Fannin County, since we are not GA residents), and could not get return calls.

If I have any luck, and it's ok with whomever we find, I'll add the person's contact info to this post. And pics from the wedding and honeymoon backpacking trip!

Dances with Mice
08-08-2006, 11:03
Try this organization (http://www.atservants.org/contactus.htm).

08-08-2006, 14:49
KIT......if nothing else works out for you, and I can make travel plans.......I would be honored to perform the service. An AT wedding would be great. Try for someone else first, as I am in PA. BUt I plan to be doing some hiking in TN after the gathering.(OCT 13-15) Who knows, might be able to work something out........

08-09-2006, 15:12
Isn't there a church at the end of the forest service road that heads to Springer off Hwy 52? Perhaps the pastor, after explaining you aren't members but out-of-staters, might do it for you. Never know.

08-09-2006, 17:51
Do you need an actual priest or minister? You'd be surprised who is ordained! When my husband and me got married in June, my hiking friend, Rumidude, married us. It was pretty intense in ways-he is a friend, and that meant a lot to me. And it was outdoors :D Heck, I hiked 70 miles with him this past week. He actually offered to marry us after he heard we got engaged..and I took him up. (He actually was an ordained minister years ago, so I was able to claim "religous ceremony" on our license...lol!)