PDA

View Full Version : Cash or Credit?

Grizz
08-07-2006, 21:12
I'm not a big fan of carrying cash around but on the trail I know one will need fundages for misc. resupply, hostiles, etc, etc. I was wondering what is a reasonable amount of money that is needed on trail, baring any major gear foul-ups. I know it depends greatly on your diet and food intake, and many other factors but would be a best guess estimate for planning purposes for a thru trek? Also would you recommend cash, debit/credit cards or both? Thanks for the input...:rolleyes:

Phreak
08-07-2006, 21:27
Tho I'm not thru-hiking til 07, I plan on carrying a debit card/credit card & $50 cash.

mweinstone
08-07-2006, 21:27
i carry about 100 to 500 dollars depending on how long its been since i last made love to an ATM.and i carry two credit cards. a visa or mastercard for general charging and my amex for my ego. in addition i carry 4 ozs of tobbacco and a hell of alot of extra coffie and chocolate witch all are like cash where i go. i also carry 1 oz of ciggerete tobbacco.my corn cobb and my good looks round out my bag of tradeables.i leave change in town and never carry the crap.i also carry my licence to carry a firearm in pa and my pa non driver photo id card.i carry my bank routing number and that way if i do need the 29.50 thats in my account,... i can get it.

mweinstone
08-07-2006, 21:34
this year when i made my decision to stop and start over next year,....i .... uh.... had somthing i couldnt ride home with comfortly. so i left it stashed in the graveyard next to the plase where i slept my last night in pearisburg.im sure its wet as i didnt even try to hide it. i just left all my stash on a gravestone in a leaf. then i took the emplt 8 oz nalge and put it in a hiker box. that sucker smelled good.

Johnny Swank
08-07-2006, 21:40
I liked to have about $200 on me at any one time, either in cash or traveller's checks. I also spent a fortune on ATM fees

mweinstone
08-07-2006, 21:51
i watched a cashere turn two hikers down. they gave no reason. just wouldnt take one.and ya cant wave one while hitchin.

Footslogger
08-07-2006, 22:04
I carried a Debit Card in 2003 and generally had somewhere between $150 and $200 in cash on me most of the time. Some things are just easier done with case and in some cases cash is required. Nice thing about using a Debit Card is that you can typically get "cash bacK" when you purchase something, even at the US Post Office.

'Slogger

Johnny Swank
08-07-2006, 22:24
The Post Office just started doing that towards the end of my trip as far as I knew. I swear I spent $300 in fees!

Sly
08-07-2006, 22:29
I seldom spend money in ATM fees since PO's, most grocery stores, Walmart's ect allow for cash back. However, when faced with a fee I'll grab the max allowed.

Blissful
08-08-2006, 15:15
The money idea is going on another thread too, how much for a thru -(forgot where it is). Made me rethink finances.

Anyway, I plan to take cash, debit card, and credit card.

DawnTreader
08-08-2006, 16:35
I carry a charge card, a debit card and $60 cash.. never needed more

mweinstone
08-08-2006, 17:56
were all gettin chipped soon.666

cannonball
08-08-2006, 18:20
i carry about 100 to 500 dollars depending on how long its been since i last made love to an ATM.and i carry two credit cards. a visa or mastercard for general charging and my amex for my ego. in addition i carry 4 ozs of tobbacco and a hell of alot of extra coffie and chocolate witch all are like cash where i go. i also carry 1 oz of ciggerete tobbacco.my corn cobb and my good looks round out my bag of tradeables.i leave change in town and never carry the crap.i also carry my licence to carry a firearm in pa and my pa non driver photo id card.i carry my bank routing number and that way if i do need the 29.50 thats in my account,... i can get it.

What, no 8x10 glossy of Minnisota Smith?