PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rogers Area

jutang82
08-07-2006, 21:42
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but could anyone suggest a nice 3 day/2 night loop in the Mt. Rogers Area of Virginia? We'd be going weekdays so that would avoid some of the crowding in that area that I have heard of. Also, we'd have a dog with us, in case that would influence anyones suggestions.
Thanks!

bigcranky
08-08-2006, 08:04
The Mt Rogers area is only crowded in certain places, even on weekends. The A.T. going up Wilburn Ridge, the shelters, and some of the obvious campsites -- but there is still plenty of solitude if you want it.

You don't say how many miles you want to cover on this 3-day loop, but there are several options. You'll want to park in the Grayson Highlands State Park, in the Backpacker parking lot at Massey Gap. You'll need to pay the daily park fee to park there, but your vehicle will be safe. There is a blue-blaze approach trail that leaves the parking lot and ascends to the top of Massey Gap. (Note, don't take the horse trail -- the blue blaze leaves from the corner of the parking lot, goes through the rhododendrons and crosses a small stream, then crosses the horse trail and continues up the hill into the woods. It's marked 'no horses.')

When you get to the top, you'll be in the wide open country for which the Mt Rogers area is famous. You will meet the A.T. at the top of the ridgeline.

From here you can do several loops, all of which include the A.T., and depend on how long/far you want to hike. If you go north (right) on the AT, you can stay at Wise Shelter in about a mile, or in campsites along Wilson Creek just past the shelter (highly recommended). If you hike another 2 miles or so, there is an old homeiste clearing on the right side of the trail, complete with a small spring -- makes a great campsite. Another few miles brings you past Scales to the intersection with the Pine Mountain Trail. If you keep going north on the A.T., you'll get to Old Orchard Shelter in about 2 miles, which is a total of 8 miles or so from the car. Again, a nice spot -- camp out in front of the shelter in the open meadow.

From Old Orchard, you have several choices. You can go back up the A.T. the way you came, and take the Pine Mountain Trail across to Rhododendron Gap, where it meets the A.T. again (check your map to figure out how this happens). If you turn left (north), you'll be back at your car in a couple of miles. If you turn right, there are plenty of campsites along the A.T. out to Thomas Knob Shelter, plus you can climb to the summit of Mt Rogers. (Nice spot, bu no view.)

From Old Orchard Shelter, your other choice involves the Lewis Fork Trail and the Mt Rogers National Scenic Trail, bringing you out on the A.T. at Deep Gap. Here, you would turn Left (north) to come up behind Mt Rogers to the Thomas Knob Shelter, and continue on past the shelter to Rhododendron Gap, then down Wilburn Ridge and back to the car.

If all of this sounds confusing, it won't be when you see the map. Note that these hikes are in the 15-25 mile range for the loop. If you want a longer hike, you can combine the AT and the Iron Mountain Trail into loops of up to 60 miles or so.

Of all these places, you are most likely to see people along Wilburn Ridge, at the Thomas Knob Shelter, and at Rhododendron Gap. During the week, of course, it will be far less crowded.

If you get the National Geographic Mt Rogers map, they have a good inset map of the "High Country" which shows all these trails pretty well. The ATC map has much less detail (well, mine does, but it might be getting pretty old).

Have fun -- it's a great area.

jlb2012
08-08-2006, 09:06
bigcranky covered it very well - the only modification I would probably make is to note that if you have a high ground clearance vehicle and/or know how to drive on rock then parking at Scales is free and safe plus it gets you up into the high country faster.

The Solemates
08-08-2006, 11:31
not a loop, but the AT SOBO is an awesome hike. park in damascus, have dave shuttle you to fox creek, and its a 2-3 day walk back to town, with the last day being mostly downhill. we've done this 3 or 4 times and really enjoy it. MRO charges very little for the shuttle.

Lone Wolf
08-08-2006, 11:47
MRO charges $25. I do it for $15.

The Solemates
08-08-2006, 12:15
there ya go...cheap ride.

Almost There
08-08-2006, 14:40
Awesome Hike! If you go SOBO I would say start at Dickey Gap and camp at Old Orchard that first night.

orangebug
08-08-2006, 16:19
I agree with Almost There, as we did that walk last November. I just got back from a honeymoon walk with a newbie hiker babe - Elk Garden to Fox Creek, using MRO for shuttles. AT and I did about that distance in 1 1/4 day, and my wife and I did it in 2 1/2 days.

There are a number of loops available in the area usuing Scales, Rhododendron Gap and other places for good spots to use as a center. The AT maps don't begin to show you how easy it is to move around Mt Rogers and the Grayson Highlands.

Skyline
08-08-2006, 16:36
Another loop hike, starting at Grindstone Campground off VA603 (safe parking, inexpensive daily rate):

Take the blue blaze from the campground to the Mt. Rogers Trail, connect to the MRT and take it to its AT junction just north of Deep Gap.

Take the AT north up into the High Country, past Briar Ridge (views), the side trail to Mt. Rogers (highest point in VA), and Thomas Knob Shelter.

North of the shelter there are campsites on fairly level, grassy surfaces and if you venture off the AT at Rhododendron Gap onto some horse trails you'll find even more. There is a spring behind the shelter plus a corralled spring off the Crest Trail.

Next day, return to the AT and hike north through (IMHO) the best of the High Country. You can stop for lunch at Wise Shelter, then continue north through Scales and beyond to where the Pine Mt. Trail intersects the AT.

Hang a sharp left near the fence and take the Pine Mt. Trail about a mile to another junction with a horse trail. Look for campsites around here, and to your left (if on the PMT) there is a nice corralled spring just over the crest and down a hill (not visible from the PMT, but trust me it's there).

Third day continue on the PMT back to Rhododendron Gap, and retrace your steps back to Grindstone via the AT south and the Mt. Rogers Trail. There is also a shortcut using horse and unblazed trails but if you don't know the area you could get lost.

Get a current map and all of these references will make sense. Have a great hike. I'm jealous.

SawnieRobertson
08-08-2006, 16:40
Please be aware that there is a couple who are living as survivalists between the Atkins and Damascus areas who are now labeled by law enforcement in this area as "armed and dangerous." They have been out in this area for maybe 8-10 months. He does home invasions in the middle of the night, taking food, alcohol, cash, and, more recently, guns. He appears to be moving things up a notch. I would not go for a day hike alone in this area at this time, but a group might be a different situation. The read on him is that he is seeking thrills. Homes between Sugar Grove and Rural Retreat and in Konnarock and in Whitetop have been entered as people sleep. He (they) has used roads and horse trails. The AT is crossed by both.--Kinnickinic

jlb2012
08-08-2006, 17:06
Please be aware that there is a couple who are living as survivalists between the Atkins and Damascus areas who are now labeled by law enforcement in this area as "armed and dangerous." They have been out in this area for maybe 8-10 months. He does home invasions in the middle of the night, taking food, alcohol, cash, and, more recently, guns. He appears to be moving things up a notch. I would not go for a day hike alone in this area at this time, but a group might be a different situation. The read on him is that he is seeking thrills. Homes between Sugar Grove and Rural Retreat and in Konnarock and in Whitetop have been entered as people sleep. He (they) has used roads and horse trails. The AT is crossed by both.--Kinnickinic

Is this the guy you are talking about : picture link (http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/Link.asp?L=200325)

SawnieRobertson
08-08-2006, 17:41
Is this the guy you are talking about : picture link (http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/Link.asp?L=200325)
Yes, that's the guy. Now he does have long hair. There's a third picture at Mountainview with more hair than in these pictures but not "thru hiker length."

The girl is said to have long dark hair and a history of being quite adept at gutting kill even when she was ten years old.

Kinnickinic

Lone Wolf
08-08-2006, 18:34
I'm going on a search and destroy mission over the next few days. Gonna see what I can see. I will be armed and a little dangerous.:cool:

jutang82
08-09-2006, 00:19
I have the National Geographic map that was mentioned, we're looking it over it now with your suggestions. It should be a nice trip.

So is have any campers had trouble with this Goad guy, or has it been limited to home invasions like the local news outlets report? It sounds like he is stealing supplies for his campsite, a couple of weekend hikers really don't have that much to offer... creepy though, wouldn't want to run into them on the trail.

bobgessner57
08-09-2006, 00:36
The parking at Grindstone is safe, do not leave a car at the Fox Creek trailhead as there has been vandalism there. The Grindstone campground has showers for a buck or two. I don't know if the Grayson Highlands campground will let hikers shower. Always nice to ride home clean.

I packed tonight for an early start up there Friday. Can't wait, low temps and lower humidity. Should be some good blueberries too.

orangebug
08-09-2006, 10:11
I just got back from leaving a car at Fox Creek with no problems. We inquired with FS folks taking surveys and locals - and didn't hear of problems with Fox Creek. There were plenty of cars when we left and when we returned.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2006, 10:13
Fox Creek has had a LOT of problems over the years. Vehicles have been stolen from that lot.

Ewker
08-09-2006, 10:27
There is a place before you get to the AT parking lot that I have parked at before. It is gated and the lady charged us 3.00 for the weekend.

Skyline
08-09-2006, 10:32
For very little money, play it safe and park at Grindstone. Or if you don't mind driving around to it, park at Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park (also a small fee). Actually, for a circuit hike, staying strictly in the High Country, Massie Gap is my preference but it does require a lot more driving for most folks.

I would not leave a vehicle overnight at Fox Creek OR Elk Garden. The fact that many do so without problems is no consolation if your vehicle is among those trashed or missing upon your return. It has happened, and not just once, at both locations.

jutang82
08-09-2006, 10:48
For very little money, play it safe and park at Grindstone. Or if you don't mind driving around to it, park at Massie Gap in Grayson Highlands State Park (also a small fee). Actually, for a circuit hike, staying strictly in the High Country, Massie Gap is my preference but it does require a lot more driving for most folks.

I would not leave a vehicle overnight at Fox Creek OR Elk Garden. The fact that many do so without problems is no consolation if your vehicle is among those trashed or missing upon your return. It has happened, and not just once, at both locations.

We're coming in from NC (Mt. Airy), so it probably wouldn't be too much trouble to drive to Massie Gap.

Ewker
08-09-2006, 10:52
For very little money, play it safe and park at Grindstone. .

Skyline, is the place I mention Grindstone. I couldn't remember the name of the place I parked.

bigcranky
08-09-2006, 12:39
From North Carolina, it's easier to park at Massie Gap. And I have parked many times at Fox Creek over the years without any problems, but I no longer do so.

Skyline
08-09-2006, 15:19
We're coming in from NC (Mt. Airy), so it probably wouldn't be too much trouble to drive to Massie Gap.

From where I live, Fox Creek, Elk Garden, etc. are easier but I don't park there overnight. For you, I believe you're right--Massie Gap would be easier or at least equal insofar as drive time.

You'll have to pay upon entering the state park--sort of a daily usage fee. There is no special fee for parking. GHSP has a special lot for backpackers, plus diagonal parking along the road for dayhikers (and overflow from the backpackers lot). I wouldn't have any qualms about parking there for a few days, tho there's a first time for everything I guess.

From where you park, there is about a half-mile hike--most of it uphill--to intersect the AT. NOBO to the right, SOBO to the left.

I'm still jealous.

SawnieRobertson
08-14-2006, 15:06
I have posted the following message iwith other AT groups as a followup to our crime escapade in SW Virginia:

The Smyth County Sheriff spoke to a group to which I belong this morning about Goad and the girl, so I have an update.

One thing is that they have dropped two backpacks containing about 45-pounds each of items one would want on the trail. This was during a chase. The packs contained such stuff as walkie talkies and cell phones as well as necessities. The cell phones apparently provided some helpful information as I'm sure you can figure out.

She has a sexual abuse history, and her mother has washed her hands of her. The girls has no interest in returning to her home. Two calls to the mother showed up on the cell phone history. He was a foster child. Two years ago when this began, he was with his brother who has since dropped out of the activity. The brother refuses to be helpful with information.

They are thought to be holing up in Grayson Country, probably in some vacation home, at this time. He did this for about five weeks once before, leaving it when he had used up all the food, etc., that was there.

The amazing thing to me is that every one of the stories I had heard turned out to be accurate. These people around here are hard realists when you come down to it, not given to lying or embellishing.

He said that neither has harmed anyone else yet. They are considered "armed and dangerous" because they now have firearms, but so far they have not used them.

Oh, yeah. He likes medications and beer. She likes ice cream. So, if you are carrying any of that stuff in your pack, well, watch out. :-|

Sawnie
(Kinnickinic)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-15-2006, 08:44
Sad, sad history on the fugitive couple. That they have survived what life handed them says they are survivors. While violence hasn't happened as yet, it is a real possibility under the right circumstances and that should be taken seriously by anyone who encounters them.

SawnieRobertson
08-15-2006, 09:17
Sad, sad history on the fugitive couple. That they have survived what life handed them says they are survivors. While violence hasn't happened as yet, it is a real possibility under the right circumstances and that should be taken seriously by anyone who encounters them.

Yes, that was one of the points that the sheriff was careful to make. His concern is how they will act if cornered. For those of us who are still just onlookers, I would add that they are quoted as saying that they are going to be "Bonnie and Clyde."

For AT hikers, I just think caution. I'd not be out there with the same confidence that I had going through the South when Eric Rudolph was enjoying his outdoor life. Certainly, I'd never leave my pack in a shelter while I went down for water, which I have done before.

The woman who chased him out of her kitchen with a butcher knife was at the meeting yesterday. He ran like a deer. As long as such stuff is satisfying his need for thrills, there is probably no severe penalty for being unawares.

They are said to spend a great deal of time planning what they will do, just like we do. It's a sickness though. They may think that we are doing the same thing that they are doing and may, therefore, respect us. OTOH, they may not have figured out yet that we are carrying in our packs just about everything that they "need," and we are easy targets.

Because of taking the girl along, if for no other reason, he is now a felon. The alternative to staying out there would be especially unpleasant for someone who enjoys such physical (not mental or emotional) fitness. The certainty of what would follow capture ups his rationale for continuing to live his "free" lifestyle.

ImkerVS
04-08-2007, 16:12
http://www.wcyb.com/newsread.asp?offset=570&newsid=7515

Only news I could find, but it does say Goad was captured.