PDA

View Full Version : Katahdin Fever

craigatk
08-07-2006, 23:42
I haven't thought much about thru-hiking lately, but something brought it up again just yesterday and today I spent sometime catching up, reading this forum, some trail journals, etc. Even daydreaming about the PCT.

7 years ago today would be the anniversary of my final day/night spent in the 100 mile wilderness. The next morning I would walk back into civilization before climbing Katahdin with family and friends.

For me the most powerful experience was the food poisoning that I assume came from some greasy and re-heated pizza near Pine Grove Furnace State Park in PA. After spending a horrible night at a shelter and then sleeping away the entire next day. It was a struggle the next morning, to just hobble 10 miles to the next hostel. Thanks to the generosity of another thru-hiker who lived nearby and was commuting home at nights while hiking in the area. I was rescued from the trail to spend a few days recovering. I lost quite a lot of weight and still had difficulty eating any solid foods. My motivation to finish was quite utterly gone. I decided to take a bus home and give up. In retrospect, it seems absurd to let a little illness cancel some major plans, but that's certainly how I felt at the time. However, about 7 hours before departure, as I was slowly falling asleep, I came to my senses in a sudden burst of clarity. I still remember the look of suprise on my friend and his father when I got up to tell them of my change in sentiment.

Now many years later, the clarity of that moment has not been lost. I refer back to it on many occasions to strengthen my belief that I can dream a big dream and actually make it happen. Finishing the thru-hike is where that strength comes from.

TJ aka Teej
08-08-2006, 07:48
7 years ago today would be the anniversary of my final day/night spent in the 100 mile wilderness. The next morning I would walk back into civilization before climbing Katahdin with family and friends.

Welcome to Whiteblaze, and happy anniversary!:welcome

Moxie00
08-09-2006, 08:34
In 30 minutes I head for Katahdin. Try to climb it once a year. Hope to meet a few of this years early bird thru hikers but it is very early. I will climb tomorrow, rain, sun, snow, hail or lightning.