PDA

View Full Version : My First New Pack!

DonQuixote
08-08-2006, 08:56
This weekend I walked into the Atlanta REI, just to look around, and walked out with a new pack. I had never been in an REI and should have known it would be trouble.

I got a Gregory Zulu for $120, and so far I love it! Prior to this I have only ever used my 20+ year old Jansport D3. The difference is amazing!

The really good thing about this pack is that it's designed in a way that will make it perfect for my snowboarding and climbing trips.

We'll see how it performs when I take it out to GSMNP this weekend!

Anyone have any experience with this pack?

Skidsteer
08-08-2006, 09:03
REI is the devil. :D

Gregorys have awesome hipbelts. I've got a Shasta that will carry more gear than I need. The biggest problem with it is that it will carry more gear than I need. ;)

hikerjohnd
08-08-2006, 14:15
Ahhhh the new pack. You will love it and then curse it but so long as it does not fail you, you will use it as long as your previous pack. I had a Jansport Nepali that I loved and used for years. Grudgingly switched to a GG Nimbus Ozone in an effort to save weight and hated the loss of some of the room and all the pockets. Except for the dead of summer (I have an Essence pack for my UL days of Summer) - I wouldn't give up my GG for anything. I still miss the pockets, but I know the GG will be with me for years.

DrewNC2005
08-08-2006, 23:36
Hey DonQuixote - we should get up and go backpacking sometime if you're living in Raleigh. My wife and I are always looking for new hiking friends. Good luck with the pack - I have to stay away from stores like REI or I'll break the bank.

Footslogger
08-09-2006, 09:04
Gregorys have awesome hipbelts. I've got a Shasta that will carry more gear than I need. The biggest problem with it is that it will carry more gear than I need. ;)
==================================

Ain't THAT the truth. I too have a Shasta that's drawing dust in the gear locker. But one thing that can't be denied is that when I was carrying that pack there was NOTHING I couldn't find room for.

While I'm thinking of it ...anyone in the market for a Gregory Shasta ??

'Slogger

DonQuixote
08-09-2006, 09:29
This pack leaves me no room to overpack at all. I can get my gear in it, but it definitely discourages overpacking.

Hey DonQuixote - we should get up and go backpacking sometime if you're living in Raleigh. My wife and I are always looking for new hiking friends.

I would definitely enjoy some people to backpack with, mine and my girlfriend's schedule won't coincide much this year, since we'll be long distance. Drop me a PM so we can chat a bit.

bigcranky
08-09-2006, 12:43
I had my old Shasta out of the closet a few weeks ago. I put it on, checked all the webbing, sighed, and put it back in the closet. I have a lot of good memories wrapped up in that old pack, but it's just too big for hiking anymore. But no, it's not for sale. You never know when you'll need to carry 70 pounds in comfort on the trail, right?