PDA

View Full Version : NBC Comedy "The Trail"

rtfi
08-08-2006, 09:10
Anyone see this?

"Chris and Paul Weitz have set up a pair of comedy projects at NBC as part of their overall deal with NBC Universal Television Studio, according to Variety…

The Trail revolves around a group of friends who, after becoming disgusted with their lives, decide to ditch it all and hike the Appalachian Trail. Duplass brothers will write the half-hour, exec producing with the Weitz siblings."

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/news/26/13926.php

TOW
08-08-2006, 09:18
all they will have to do is get a list of as many of the tru stories of the trail as they can from all of those who have hiked the trail and they will have enough basis for the show to become a smashing success...........

SGT Rock
08-08-2006, 09:19
The good: might be funny and an interesting thing to watch at least once.

The bad: probably will have all kinds of stuff done wrong which will annoy real hikers. It will probably do standard sitcom things in a trail setting. AND it will probably give people the wrong idea about trail life,

Lone Wolf
08-08-2006, 09:28
all they will have to do is get a list of as many of the tru stories of the trail as they can from all of those who have hiked the trail and they will have enough basis for the show to become a smashing success...........
Hiker stories are only interesting to other hikers. Tons of books are written on the AT and only one has been a smashing success.

rtfi
08-08-2006, 09:49
The term "setting up a comedy project" might mean creating a pilot that may or may not make it to the screen. I'm guessing we will never see it as I can't imagine making hiking funny on a weekly basis. Then again, Seinfeld was a show about nothing...

FLHiker
08-08-2006, 10:33
. . . I heard something . . .

Gray Blazer
08-08-2006, 10:40
Let me know if the need a short, fat, dumpy hiker to star in it. I'm ready for a new carrer.

Skyline
08-08-2006, 10:48
If the pilot flies, they will need to hire someone as a technical advisor--much as political shows hire political campaign operatives and cop shows hire cops--to make sure they get it right.

Anyone here want to apply? Anyone here we want to nominate?

SGT Rock
08-08-2006, 10:50
I will. I need a job after I retire

Lone Wolf
08-08-2006, 10:53
If the pilot flies, they will need to hire someone as a technical advisor--much as political shows hire political campaign operatives and cop shows hire cops--to make sure they get it right.

Anyone here want to apply? Anyone here we want to nominate?
I'll do it. I'll make sure it's done right. No BS. Blue-blazing and all. "As the Trail Turns".

Gray Blazer
08-08-2006, 10:54
Whoops, make that career. Let me know if they need a short, fat, dumpy hiker who can't spel.

Lugnut
08-08-2006, 13:26
The trail gets too much publicity as it is. If this ends up being filmed the trail will be over run with "not ready for prime time" hikers. Same holds true for the "Walk in the Woods" movie they want to make.
However, a guy could make a fortune filming the first 50 miles for America's Funniest Videos. :banana

c.coyle
08-08-2006, 13:58
The trail gets too much publicity as it is. ...

Are you kidding? 99% of Americans have no idea what the AT is or don't give a damn. Do a Google Alert on "Appalachian Trail." About all you get is articles about some local person thru-hiking it or someone dying or getting lost on it.

On the whole, I get the impression that the AT is not overrun. It would benefit from an influx of new hikers. Maybe we wouldn't have that racetrack in Pa. if more people were aware of the AT. Maybe local trail clubs wouldn't be hurting for volunteers. Think of any other threat to the trail. I'm sure you didn't mean it, but "not ready for prime time hikers" sounds a little elitist.

We're in our own little universe here.

hikerjohnd
08-08-2006, 15:51
Do a Google Alert on "Appalachian Trail." About all you get is articles about some local person thru-hiking it or someone dying or getting lost on it.
Um... no... you get the ATC first then several hiking sites followed by trail clubs, and WB is at the top of page two. Or do I not have a clear understanding of a google alert?

Which raises the question - Why isn't WB near the top of page one??? I think the admins have not been paying off the right people :-? We certainly shoould be ahead of Wingnut's site!

c.coyle
08-08-2006, 16:12
Um... no... you get the ATC first then several hiking sites followed by trail clubs, and WB is at the top of page two. Or do I not have a clear understanding of a google alert?...

A Google Alert is a free service of Google. Different from a straight Google search. You can tell it to scan the web, news stories, or both, and automatically e-mail you whenever a web page or story containing your search terms appears. I have several alerts that search just the news for articles on topics that interest me. Very cool.

From the main Google page, click on "more" and follow the prompts. Or, go straight to it at Google Alerts (http://www.google.com/alerts)

Skyline
08-08-2006, 16:45
OK, but the way most people use Google the sites that are in the Top 10 are not as you described. Here is my results list this afternoon:

1) ATC
2) ATC
3) Fred.Net/Kathy (a longtime AT site)
4) NPS AT site
5) Trailplace
6) GORP AT page
7) Georgia AT Club
8) Potomac AT Club
9) Wikipedia AT entry
10) Maine AT Club

Not a hiker journal, wannabe, or lost soul in the Top 10. But I agree with hikerjohnd--WB really ought to rate in the Top 10.

SGT Rock
08-08-2006, 16:48
Well we haven't been around as long as some, and Google bases placement on that lists by links from other sites back to hear. So apparently more people link to those sites than they do this one.

Now as to that job, who do I apply to?

c.coyle
08-08-2006, 16:57
Well we haven't been around as long as some, and Google bases placement on that lists by links from other sites back to hear. So apparently more people link to those sites than they do this one....

If you have some time to constructively waste, go to http://www.alexa.com, click on "Traffic Rankings", and enter "whiteblaze.net" in the box. Compare WB's ranking to other AT sites, and get lots of other interesting information, including how many sites link back.

SGT Rock
08-08-2006, 17:05
I wonder how they compute that because it has my website Hikinghq.net with a higher ranking than WhiteBlaze.net:

Traffic Rank for whiteblaze.net: 242,389

Traffic Rank for hikinghq.net: 520,461

And I know that WhiteBlaze has a hell of a lot more traffic than I do.

Sly
08-08-2006, 17:20
I think you can bump your ratings by adding mega search words or something like that.

c.coyle
08-08-2006, 17:27
I wonder how they compute that because it has my website Hikinghq.net with a higher ranking than WhiteBlaze.net:

Traffic Rank for whiteblaze.net: 242,389

Traffic Rank for hikinghq.net: 520,461

And I know that WhiteBlaze has a hell of a lot more traffic than I do.

I think HHQ is lower. The world's most popular website would be 1, as I understand it.

BTW, a non-hiker, serious outdoorsman friend asked me about my hammock. I gave him the link to Hammock 101 on your site.

SGT Rock
08-08-2006, 17:30
OK I get it
so like Trailplace which came in at 926,191 is lower than me? I don't know, still doesn't sound right. I mean I am a popular fellow and all, but I assume old WF has more fans and traffic than I do.

SGT Rock
08-08-2006, 17:32
And I still need to know where to apply to be a consultant for that show :D

Lugnut
08-08-2006, 18:00
Are you kidding? 99% of Americans have no idea what the AT is or don't give a damn. Do a Google Alert on "Appalachian Trail." About all you get is articles about some local person thru-hiking it or someone dying or getting lost on it.

On the whole, I get the impression that the AT is not overrun. It would benefit from an influx of new hikers. Maybe we wouldn't have that racetrack in Pa. if more people were aware of the AT. Maybe local trail clubs wouldn't be hurting for volunteers. Think of any other threat to the trail. I'm sure you didn't mean it, but "not ready for prime time hikers" sounds a little elitist.

We're in our own little universe here.

I couldn't agree with you more that the trail could use a a lot more volunteers but this show is going to be a comedy and as easily as some are influenced I think you would be swamped with Katz's.
The trail would benefit from more serious hikers, read serious, and not someone trying it just because of a comedy on TV
The "not ready for prime time" comment was an attempt at humor due to the TV tie in.
According to the ATC something like 4,000,000 people hike on some part of the trail each year so it looks like more than 1% of people know about it.

SGT Rock
08-08-2006, 18:02
Yea!, that is more like 1.3% :p

swift
08-08-2006, 18:46
I like the idea of being in our own little universe and not getting a lot of attention and most people not knowing what the AT is. It seems anything that gets too culturally popular now gets destroyed by the attention. I do understand that more awareness means more sympathy, clout, support, maybe funding etc. Where is the line that you sell your soul to the devil for the cause?

In my alter-ego as a caver I've visited many amazing places few people will ever see, wild, pristine, perfect. And then I've walked into commercial caves on a concrete sidewalk where they have a concession stand and souvenir shop outside, handrails, lights all over the place, people break off pieces to take home. Litter. That's what happens when a place gets too popular. I'd really be upset if my trail got that much attention.

karo
08-08-2006, 18:52
I like the idea of being in our own little universe and not getting a lot of attention and most people not knowing what the AT is. It seems anything that gets too culturally popular now gets destroyed by the attention. I do understand that more awareness means more sympathy, clout, support, maybe funding etc. Where is the line that you sell your soul to the devil for the cause?

In my alter-ego as a caver I've visited many amazing places few people will ever see, wild, pristine, perfect. And then I've walked into commercial caves on a concrete sidewalk where they have a concession stand and souvenir shop outside, handrails, lights all over the place, people break off pieces to take home. Litter. That's what happens when a place gets too popular. I'd really be upset if my trail got that much attention.

Even tho I would like to see a show like that, I totally agree with ya swift. But if they do make it, I hope they use Sgt Rock, Lonewolf, and maybe someone like Miss Janet as technical advisors.

Lugnut
08-08-2006, 19:31
Yea!, that is more like 1.3% :p

Seems like where ever you go there's some wiseguy that can divide! :D

c.coyle
08-08-2006, 20:35
I couldn't agree with you more that the trail could use a a lot more volunteers but this show is going to be a comedy and as easily as some are influenced I think you would be swamped with Katz's. ...

It's just walking in the woods. Will Ferrell would make a great Katz.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-08-2006, 20:46
I'd like to see a 'real world' type show about six hikers who have to live in a shelter together for several months.

ed bell
08-08-2006, 21:11
Considering the fact that the AT (possibly thru hiking) is the most important element to this show's success, I can't see wide viewership. If it becomes a big hit, it's not gonna be due to all the backpackers suddenly showing their hidden demographic. I would hope that viewers wold be more intrigued with backpacking than the AT itself. The AT will always be here, backpacking is what needs promoting.:sun

Skyline
08-08-2006, 21:52
If the NBC show has a good ensemble cast with chemistry, and good writers--like Cheers, Taxi, Friends, Seinfeld--it will work no matter what the premise or what the setting. If not, it will be in sitcom heaven or hell so fast you will miss it if you blink.

Picture the cast of any of the four abovementioned shows attempting to thru-hike the AT. Hilarious! Compelling! But picture the same show with the cast of some of the sitcoms that didn't make it six weeks and wait, don't blink . . .

Newb
08-09-2006, 07:16
I bet they film it all in studio / and outdoors in California. The flora will be all wrong, as will the terrain. Just a prediction.

Gray Blazer
08-09-2006, 08:47
I bet they film it all in studio / and outdoors in California. The flora will be all wrong, as will the terrain. Just a prediction.

You think!?

Skyline
08-09-2006, 09:18

For financial reasons, if this makes it into real production, they might do much of it in Canada. That seems to be the trend. There are places in Canada that could pass for the northern AT, or even some of the highest elevations in the South.

But the real likelihood is that most of it will be done on a silly soundstage a la Gilligans Island. In Canada.

sherrill
08-09-2006, 12:30
I can imagine how the pitch to the network execs went:

Chris: "What did you do when you got up this morning?"

NBC Prez: "I got up, ate breakfast, packed my pack, and started hiking..."

Chris: (clapping his hands) "There you go!! There's an episode!!"

(Paul rolls his eyes and leans back into the sofa)

RockyTrail
08-09-2006, 12:45

Yep..they always do that with TV shows, especially ones that take place in the south. Remember "Dukes of Hazzard"? It was funny watching them drive that car through fields of mesquite and tumbleweeds while claiming to be on a Georgia highway!

I guess they think nobody notices it :-? ???

Smile
08-09-2006, 13:28
how did you hear about it?

TOW
08-09-2006, 13:36
Hiker stories are only interesting to other hikers. Tons of books are written on the AT and only one has been a smashing success.and a lot of it was fiction............that's why it was a success........thanx for reminding me of that, truth doesn't sell too good does it..........?

Lone Wolf
08-09-2006, 14:14
No becuz books written by hikers are basically boring journals. They're all basically the same. How do you figure Bryson's book is mostly fiction? Have you read it?

Undershaft
08-15-2006, 12:46
Bryson's book was NOT fiction. It just wasn't all about Thru-Hiking. "A Walk in the Woods" is a book about the AT, not a book about thruhikers. You ever read "White Blaze Fever"? It was quite dry and dull. How about "On the Beaten Path"? The parts where he actually talked about the trail were ok, but the majority of the book was Rubin whining about his wife and failed career. Oh, by the way Rubin, two and a half states weren't even worth mentioning?
Bryson wrote a book that had universal appeal and it sold well. It was not embellished or fictionalized. It was successful because it talked about history, wildlife, the environment, american attitudes and perceptions towards wilderness, and everyday people in a straightforward and humorous way. "A Walk in the Woods" is, to date, the best book written on the subject of the Appalachian Trail.

Footslogger
08-15-2006, 12:51
"A Walk in the Woods" is, to date, the best book written on the subject of the Appalachian Trail.
================================

Wow ...agree with most of what you said but your final statement is a tad "sweeping". Guess it depends on perspective or what you are looking to get from a book.

My point being, if I was new to backpacking and interested in hiking the AT it seems that "A Walk in the Woods" would be amusing but not very helpful in terms of preparation.

By they way ...I liked the book !!

'Slogger

frequency
08-15-2006, 12:58
Call me Ishmael: Does this mean that every witless trendanista in urban creation will be spinelessly emulating this like the way every dingdong in Overlyprivilegedville got a "Ross (friends)" haircut in 1995? Worse, will we be seeing these folks on the trail? Call me Ishmael.

Newb
08-15-2006, 13:04
Gawd. I just don't understand the Bryson bashers. It was a good book. I also liked his book about Australia. I found it entertaining and informative.

As for the Appalachian Trail comedy, I think the idea is a non-starter. The best idea for an AT show would be a "Reality" tv piece in which a group of "at-Risk" teens hike the trail and their tribulations are dutifully recorded. As a matter of fact, I own the copy right on that idea. :)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-15-2006, 13:06
Bryson's book was NOT fiction......"A Walk in the Woods" is, to date, the best book written on the subject of the Appalachian Trail.My personal feeling is that much of Bryson's book is fictionalized accounts of things that could really happen, but I don't believe they all happened to Bryson.

It is likely the most entertaining book, but the best - not even close. It failed to capture the unique magic of the trail and that is what makes the AT so special.

Almost There
08-15-2006, 13:21
My personal feeling is that much of Bryson's book is fictionalized accounts of things that could really happen, but I don't believe they all happened to Bryson.

It is likely the most entertaining book, but the best - not even close. It failed to capture the unique magic of the trail and that is what makes the AT so special.

Best can be subjective. What I deem to be the best movie of all time you may disagree with. While I agree that it doesn't capture the magic of the trail that most die hard backpackers see or feel, this doesn't mean it isn't a very enjoyable book. Also remember the majority of Americans aren't diehard packers, remember when you started packing all of the stupid questions you would get from dogs to animals, etc., etc.

Do I think he did much of what he claimed. Sure I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He never claimed to have finished, and I have met enough people that saw him out there to know he was. Other than that...he's a writer...what do you expect!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-15-2006, 13:37
Almost There, we are substantially in agreement. Had I been writing about this book in a forum not connected with backpacking or the AT, I would have given the book a higher rating. However, the book isn't all that and a side of ramen for this crowd. I found it very misleading in places and found much of his analyst of the trail community to be lacking both depth and understanding. What I am trying to say is his book is like an account written about a household by someone who looked in all the windows for a couple of months, but never actually set foot in the house.

Rain Man
08-15-2006, 14:54
...What I am trying to say is his book is like an account written about a household by someone who looked in all the windows for a couple of months, but never actually set foot in the house.

Oh, I think he set foot in the house. Indeed, spent a lot of time and study in some of the rooms. But then proceeded to speak about all the rooms and back yard too, even though he never spent time in them. That's how it strikes me. That's a flaw in the book, to me.

Except for that, I love the book. Enjoyed it enough to read the one about Australia too. Bryson is a good writer and can and has out-hiked (and out-written) 99.9% of Americans, I believe.

Rain:sunMan

sherrill
08-15-2006, 15:14
Well, if we're off topic and now discussing Bryson's book, can someone refresh my memory - what was the deal between him and Jensine at Rainbow Springs?

It's been years since I read it, but I recall him clearly stating he was just going to section hike and would drive to trailheads. Why do folks get so angry and say he claims to have thrued? JK.

sherrill
08-15-2006, 15:16
BTW, that should be JC. And I should have stated he started sectioning after he gave up on his thru. Thanks.

saimyoji
08-15-2006, 15:31
Yes, the last paragraph in the book goes something like:

Well, we didn't hike the whole thing, but we got the gist of it, and that's what really matters.

He has also hiked extensively around the UK, at least he claims so.

As far as an AT reality show goes, I don't think it will be as popular with the mass public as the Survivor type shows are. Those shows are much more hardcore than hiking on the AT. I don't think there's a market for it.

However, if they scripted it to be funny and tragic it could become very popular. Would "real hikers" appreciate it? Probably not. But it might draw viewers.

RITBlake
08-15-2006, 16:40
My point being, if I was new to backpacking and interested in hiking the AT it seems that "A Walk in the Woods" would be amusing but not very helpful in terms of preparation.
'Slogger

ya... and it's not supposed to be...

The book isn't titled "how to hike the appalachian trail" That book exists and this isn't it.

Brysons book is about HIS experience with the AT, his observations, stories, and reflections. So many people on WB and in the hiking community get up in arms because 'he never finished.' Well guess what, neither do the majority of people who begin a thru hike.

A Walk in the Woods may not be the 'best' AT book out there, but it is certainly the most universally appealing, and probably the most entertaining.

Sure Model-T's book is great for a hiking enthusiast, but there is a reason why Brysons book was a best seller.

Footslogger
08-15-2006, 16:43
[quote=RITBlake]A Walk in the Woods may not be the 'best' AT book out there, but it is certainly the most universally appealing, and probably the most entertaining.
=========================================

That's the point I was trying to make. You expressed it in better terms.

'Slogger

RITBlake
08-15-2006, 16:44
sorry! cheers!

saimyoji
08-15-2006, 17:23
Whooooo=hoooooooo we all agree. :clap:clap:clap

RITBlake
08-15-2006, 17:55
Whooooo=hoooooooo we all agree. :clap:clap:clap

Yup and Brysons laughing all the way to the bank

Almost There
08-16-2006, 13:31
Almost There, we are substantially in agreement. Had I been writing about this book in a forum not connected with backpacking or the AT, I would have given the book a higher rating. However, the book isn't all that and a side of ramen for this crowd. I found it very misleading in places and found much of his analyst of the trail community to be lacking both depth and understanding. What I am trying to say is his book is like an account written about a household by someone who looked in all the windows for a couple of months, but never actually set foot in the house.

I completely agree...but couldn't the same be said about the thruhikers who will do this once...and have almost zero involvement with the trail or it's community after they're done.

What I am saying is...you can travel through a community and never really be a part of it. Heck many trail angels are more a part of the community than many young twenty something hikers who will hike the AT once, place it like a notch in their belt and go home. Many of us have met, and keep in touch here, or at Rucks, Gatherings, Trail Days, etc. Many have joined the ATC, AHS, ALDHA, etc. Many will never through hike, but are imbedded in the community. Then there is the 22 year old thru hiker who after his hike will never go to a gathering or join a trail organization. He will send in for his patch and certificate and when he gets back to the city he's from. He will brag for the next twenty years about how he hiked the AT...but he will never give back to it!

Bryson got a taste of it, I'll grant him that, but he never ate the whole meal. Sorta like wandering through the grocery store eating the samples and then going home without buying any food!

I don't know if Bryson ever gave money back to the trail...but if he had truly eaten the meal...there's no doubt in my mind he would have, because most of us here on WB have not only eaten the meal but we camp out at the buffet...and return again and again!:banana

Miss Janet
08-16-2006, 20:24
Every year a few thousand people set out to Thruhike the AT... somewhere between 3%(according to a thruhiking guru) and 17%(ATC numbers) at least claim to have completed the trail.
So, A Walk in the Woods is a book about the MAJORITY of each years class of hopeful hikers.

The thought of a "TV SIT COM" scares me more than the movie idea... there would be banjo music in the TV theme music for that show, for sure!

Almost There
08-17-2006, 11:24
Every year a few thousand people set out to Thruhike the AT... somewhere between 3%(according to a thruhiking guru) and 17%(ATC numbers) at least claim to have completed the trail.
So, A Walk in the Woods is a book about the MAJORITY of each years class of hopeful hikers.

The thought of a "TV SIT COM" scares me more than the movie idea... there would be banjo music in the TV theme music for that show, for sure!

Janet don't forget the southern trail angel in overalls with tobacco in his mouth!:D

Smile
08-17-2006, 14:50
IMHO Bryson's book was the most entertaining that I have read. I got very bored with the politics stashed between the pages - seemed like he went off on a tyrade just when things started getting good - but if it reaches even ONE individual who has no environmental conviction, then it was a good thing to get out on the shelves for the masses.

When friend and family found out I was hiking the trail this past spring, I got quite a few copies for Christmas - ended up regifting them!

SGT Rock
08-17-2006, 14:54
What would make a better Sitcom would be a hostel.

Can't you just see it "Miss Janet's House"

The cast would include her, the kids, a couple of the regulars around there, and then guest stars every week hiking through.

Alligator
08-17-2006, 14:57
What would make a better Sitcom would be a hostel.

Can't you just see it "Miss Janet's House"

The cast would include her, the kids, a couple of the regulars around there, and then guest stars every week hiking through.That's a great idea.

SGT Rock
08-17-2006, 14:59
Maybe there is a spin off before it even starts

ed bell
08-17-2006, 15:00
I agree, very nice SGT. Maybe something like Newhart, but with hiker trash. Now I would watch that.:sun

SGT Rock
08-17-2006, 15:04
So would I. And you could film it anywhere with a sound stage and a couple of locations that at least looked like some trail town. You could even make it a fictional trail town so people wouldn't turn a real trail town into some gawky tourist attraction.

Tractor
08-17-2006, 15:45
"What would make a better Sitcom would be a hostel."
"Maybe something like Newhart, but with hiker trash."
"film it anywhere with a sound stage and a couple of locations that at least looked like some trail town. You could even make it a fictional trail town so people wouldn't turn a real trail town into some gawky tourist attraction."

I love it. If the original group doesn't make a go of it you guys should. L.W. needs to be involved as well. Maybe I could assist with casting or some such?