PDA

View Full Version : Where are most '06 Southbounders now

trailangelmary
08-08-2006, 09:15
There has been 4 southbounders through Duncannon so far. The lastest being Z.Hobbitt. He thinks that the first small group is about a week behind him. I also hear that within the last week there were 40 - 50 southbounders in New Hampshire.:welcome

DawnTreader
08-08-2006, 16:40
lots of sobos in NH right now.. A big wave will be coming through Vermont within the week.. Good luck to them all!!!
beater, coppertop, small pot, supernova, Brit, Grit, Wargheyagi, Buddah, Allyson, another Allyson, pie, and the list goes on... All poised to go the distance!!!!

RSWillis
08-08-2006, 17:31
Hey this is Coppertop I am in Hanover about to enter vermont, I am going to be doing low miles through vermont, so these of you behind please catch up so I can meet you. Also one of the allisons is now called Laces. NH was a blast, I hate the AMC though, money grubbing SOB's. looking forward to the easy terrain of vermont.

StarLyte
08-08-2006, 17:47
Two southbounders........

Here's part of an email that Marta sent to me from her pocketmail:

"Yeah, I'm in NH now!!! I'm taking a couple of zeroes to try to get over a cold. Then it's off into the Whites with me.
Ciao!
Marta"
Marta's journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=151385)

One from MrsGorp's cell phone, I was asking her about a little tumble she had:
"Yep i'm ok, we're gonna hike mt wash 2morrmow the rain is letting up
Cindy"
Cindy's journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=150682)

Two wonderful ladies.........

RITBlake
08-08-2006, 17:54
SOBO's in Duncannon???? WOW, they must be haulin'

GO SOBO's!

mweinstone
08-08-2006, 17:59
are you saying its cindy?respond or die

DawnTreader
08-08-2006, 18:25
Coppertop...whats up man, its The Dude.. Back in Mi.. keep on truckin' man.. Hows the hammock workin' out for ya??

StarLyte
08-08-2006, 18:28
are you saying its cindy?respond or die

Matthewski---
Yes, it's MrsGorp. Cindi. I call her by both.
I'll chose death.

Mother Nature
08-08-2006, 20:26
:D :D :D Actually Mrs Gorp prefers to be Yolanda Vega when SOBO

Mother Nature

StarLyte
08-08-2006, 20:34
Actually Mrs Gorp prefers to be Yolanda Vega when SOBO

Mother Nature

Yes, this is true. I stand corrected :)

You are Stumpknocker's friend aren't you. He spoke of you a few times. I remember him saying he was coming over to your house once for dinner. You live(d) near Helen I believe. How did you afford to feed him? :D :D

Hope I meet you someday, being a friend of Stumpy's.

Good people.

Wonder
08-09-2006, 13:37
Hey this is Coppertop I am in Hanover about to enter vermont, I am going to be doing low miles through vermont, so these of you behind please catch up so I can meet you. Also one of the allisons is now called Laces. NH was a blast, I hate the AMC though, money grubbing SOB's. looking forward to the easy terrain of vermont.

Strange question..... Is one of the allysons from the philly area. I heard that a girl they hired to replace me when I left to NOBO, was named allyson and left to SOBO...... just a funny happeneing. 2 servers from the same restaurant both doing the AT:-?

mweinstone
08-09-2006, 19:05
stumpknoker was walking all day into noc when he fell on the last steps to the hard surface. in the resturant that night one table had a big group of high spirits and another had stumpknocker sitting alone, with each of us paying our respects one at a time. his thru was over he said with confidence. it hurt us all.the third secret of fattimah is cindy gorps age andthe final mystery is what does her husband think of her hiking like a,....like a ,..hiker who hikes alot.

StarLyte
08-09-2006, 19:16
stumpknoker was walking all day into noc when he fell on the last steps to the hard surface. in the resturant that night one table had a big group of high spirits and another had stumpknocker sitting alone, with each of us paying our respects one at a time. his thru was over he said with confidence. it hurt us all.the third secret of fattimah is cindy gorps age andthe final mystery is what does her husband think of her hiking like a,....like a ,..hiker who hikes alot.

I will not lower myself to answer any of these hurtful questions.

You however have just opened a very large can of whoop ass.

mweinstone
08-12-2006, 20:25
i am curious?whats offensive or whatever you mean? whats up?

Askus3
08-12-2006, 23:02
Well the direction has finally shifted here at the last shelter in NY southbound (Wildcat Shelter). On this visit to pass out my Trail angel goodies, I had one southbound thru-hiker: Cletis (from Hagerstown, MD).
Also two section hikers: Mr. Bibby & ? . They were hiking a few days from NJ 565 to Bear mountain, NY. It was a beautiful summer evening. Comfortable and clear. Distant music seemd to filter up to the campsite. All local streams were dried up but the water supply at the shelter was still available and OK.

trailangelmary
08-16-2006, 00:00
Well the direction has finally shifted here at the last shelter in NY southbound (Wildcat Shelter). On this visit to pass out my Trail angel goodies, I had one southbound thru-hiker: Cletis (from Hagerstown, MD).
Also two section hikers: Mr. Bibby & ? . They were hiking a few days from NJ 565 to Bear mountain, NY. It was a beautiful summer evening. Comfortable and clear. Distant music seemd to filter up to the campsite. All local streams were dried up but the water supply at the shelter was still available and OK.
Thank You, Askus, for a very informative reply to the thread. I will kep an eye out for Cletis.

astrogirl
09-20-2006, 16:04
I just met Stretch and Super Nova at the 7-11 in Front Royal.

Sadly, I could not give them a lift to Chester Gap due to having too much crap in the car.

Darwin again
09-26-2006, 16:58
Today I met Super Nova and two other sobo thrus eating apples on the tractor seats on top of Bear Den Mountain.

no_granola
10-15-2006, 08:49
I saw Mark and Twain yesterday afternoon (10/14) a couple miles south of Port Clinton, PA.

Kevin A. Boyce
10-18-2006, 13:28
A SOBO'er was spotted yesterday heading to the Telephone Pioneers Shelter here in NY. He started Aug 10 or 11 if I remember right... I wish I remembered his trail name though...

Also two young, as in teenager, about 16 or 17 were out hiking SOBO as well... Normally not too unusual, they said they had been out for six weeks, and were heading to Georgia... But their gear was definately up to par, both wearing down jackets, in the rain, their sleeping bags attached to their packs with bungee cords were soaked and dripping wet, no covering on them.

The folks that caught up and chatted with them wondered if they maybe runaways... The said the girl looked ready to drop from exhaustion and the rain, she did not look like she was enjoying the experience... They were heading to the Telephone Pioneers Shelter as well... I figure I will give them a day or so and I may go check the RPH Shelter... If nothing else to drop some snacks... Note... They are not my concern, but hey, if they are legit, all the power to them. If they are not... Hey all the power to them in what they are searching for...

Creek Dancer
10-18-2006, 13:59
Anyone have an update on Lawnchair and his partner? I think his name was Chords or something. He had a little stuffed animal hanging from his pack. I met them on the AT in the SNP in July and they were hoping to reach Springer by the end of October.

rainmaker
10-18-2006, 18:11
Just came back from a section hike from Waynesboro to Harpers Ferry. Ran into, spoke to , or shared a shelter with the following sobos: Caveman, Tyvek, Cats, Dr. Rudder, JimmyLeg, Dorothy, Goldbond, King Ron, Wayward, Wrongway, Bigfoot, NotBad and others . Section hikers out there or just completing their hikes are Ryan, Ann and Tom, Poco Loco, Mildew, and Chief and Christmas. It was a great hike and as usual we did our best to recharge the springs . It rained like the dickens.

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 18:27
Anyone have an update on Lawnchair and his partner? I think his name was Chords or something. ....

I met Lawnchair on Columbus Day last weekend. Am posting a photo of him in my gallery in just a few minutes. He was with Colby, named after the cheese, I think.

Right in front of them about 20 minutes was Soybone, a vegan female. Looked strong to me.

Also ran into Mellow that weekend. Am posting pics of all of them.

Rain:sunMan

Johnny Swank
10-18-2006, 18:30
Caveman wasn't about 6'2" by chance was he? I hiked SOBO with a Caveman in 2000.

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 18:33
Met Mellow just south of Flint Mountain Shelter, NC/TN, on Sunday afternoon around 1:00, 8 October 2006.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13439&c=530

Notice he has no trekking poles? He forgot them at Miss Janet's! I met her a couple of hours later at Devil Fork Gap and she was asking about where he was.

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 18:40
Met Soybone about 45 minutes south of Sam's Gap, NC/TN on Columbus Day, Monday, 9 Oct 06. She looked strong. Is a vegan from Ohio. Started 3 June 2006.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13440&c=530

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 18:44
Met "Colby" (and "Lawnchair") about 15 minutes south of Sam's Gap, NC/TN on Columbus Day, Monday, 9 Oct 06. From New Hampshire. Started June 1, 2006. Looked to be in good spirits!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13441&c=530

Rain Man
10-18-2006, 18:48
Met "Lawnchair" about 15 minutes south of Sam's Gap, NC/TN on Columbus Day, Monday, 9 October 2006. From New Hampshire. Started 1 June 2006. Hiking with "Colby" when we met them. Looked to be having a good time!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13442&c=530

Creek Dancer
10-18-2006, 19:15
Met "Lawnchair" about 15 minutes south of Sam's Gap, NC/TN on Columbus Day, Monday, 9 October 2006. From New Hampshire. Started 1 June 2006. Hiking with "Colby" when we met them. Looked to be having a good time!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=13442&c=530

That's them! Glad to hear they will probably make it in time for Lawnchair's birthday at the end of the month.

Cookerhiker
11-02-2006, 22:26
Today at the HighTop Shelter in Shenandoah NP, the register indicated a "Frosty" hiking SOBO ME-GA stayed there 2 nights ago, the 31st. Don't think it's the WB Frosty. By now, he's likely exited the Park and is around Humback Rocks.

robebib
11-03-2006, 19:49
Frosty here. I did just pass through the Shenandoahs and am now at the Dutch Haus in Montebello, VA, which by the way in case it hasn't been mentioned elsewhere is closing for 2 months begining sometime in November. I believe they aren't even taking regular guests right now but they are letting me stay.

TJ aka Teej
11-03-2006, 22:20
Hey there Frosty! I see you're hiking towards home, when do you think you'll be finishing?

nails
11-08-2006, 20:38
I was on a section hike in NJ and ran into Chase, a SOBO. He was in the area near the Rutherford Shelter. Very nice man, said he'd be done in February.