PDA

View Full Version : Discrepancies In AT Maps

Gray Blazer
08-08-2006, 10:36
I was looking at Maptech this morning and I noticed they had a tower on Standing Indian Mountain. I haven't been up there in a few years, but, I don't remember a tower up there (maybe there was one at one time, but, it isn't there now unless I missed something). I was at Bluff Mountain Outfitters a couple of years ago and the nice fellow there told me to go look at his new maproom. Well, the 1st thing I looked for on the BIG relief map on the wall, since I had just been up there, was Mt Cammerer. It was listed as Mt Sterling. The correct MT Sterling was also listed in the correct place. Well, to say the least, the owner (I forget his name) was not pleased when I pointed that out as his map was brand new. The map was still there on July 29 when I stopped by if you want to check it out. I was wondering if any of you (who don't have me on your ignore list, obviously) had noticed any other big blunders like these?

weary
08-08-2006, 10:52
I was looking at Maptech this morning and I noticed they had a tower on Standing Indian Mountain. I haven't been up there in a few years, but, I don't remember a tower up there (maybe there was one at one time, but, it isn't there now unless I missed something). I was at Bluff Mountain Outfitters a couple of years ago and the nice fellow there told me to go look at his new maproom. Well, the 1st thing I looked for on the BIG relief map on the wall, since I had just been up there, was Mt Cammerer. It was listed as Mt Sterling. The correct MT Sterling was also listed in the correct place. Well, to say the least, the owner (I forget his name) was not pleased when I pointed that out as his map was brand new. The map was still there on July 29 when I stopped by if you want to check it out. I was wondering if any of you (who don't have me on your ignore list, obviously) had noticed any other big blunders like these?
Maptech maps date back about 10 years, I think. I don't think the original program has been upgraded since it was originally published.

ATC maps are upgraded as soon as sales of the previous edition begin to run out. Maine ATC republishes it's maps every five years or so. Other maintaining clubs have equally broad lead times.

Errors should be reported to ATC and/or the maintaining club that produced the map. That's the best way to ensure that any needed corrections are made.

Keep in mind that this work is mostly done by volunteers in their spare time in between clearing brush and blowdowns, raising money, and doing the numerous other chores required by a volunteer-managed trail.

Weary

max patch
08-08-2006, 10:56
There used to be a fire tower (and telephone wire) on Standing Indian.

Gray Blazer
08-08-2006, 11:00
I didn't mean to step on any toes. Thankyou to all the volunteers. I don't know who published the BIG map on the wall at BMO, but, it's a pretty involved map, fascinating to me as I would like to be able to identify as many mountains as I can when I'm hiking the ridges and Balds in NC/TN, and it just seems to me that they could have gotten Mt Cammerer right.