PDA

View Full Version : "Sticking" draw string sleeve

blackbishop351
08-08-2006, 22:36
Just got a new pack (thanks to tarbender) - a Gregory Z. Great pack, just the right size, great condition. Only one minor problem. The drawstring around the windrift collar "jams". It doesn't want to close all the way. The material gathers at the back. I CAN pull it closed, but with a lot of resistance. That makes me nervous; I don't want to damage the material.

Anybody else had something like this happen? Solutions? I can open up the sleeve, but I'm not sure what to do from there, or if there's an easier idea. Thanks!

Fiddler
08-09-2006, 10:12
Try rubbing parrafin or candle wax on the string. Pull the string as far out one side of the sleeve as you can and rub the wax on quite heavy. Then pull the string out the other side of the sleeve and wax it real good. Acts as a lubricant.

bigcranky
08-09-2006, 12:41
Yes. We have two Z packs, and both of them do this. It's a PITA. But it's just not worth the shipping cost for me to send them back to Gregory for repair. Grrr.

blackbishop351
08-09-2006, 13:46
Fiddler - You saved me!! I grabbed a half-burned votive candle (don't tell my wife!) and waxed that thing like there was no tomorrow. After I got the string good and coated, I worked it back and forth through the sleeve, and then coated it again. After doing this a few times, it works perfectly!!!! THANKS!

Uncle Silly
08-09-2006, 13:49
I have a drawstring that's started sticking like that on the stuffsack for my festival/carcampin' tent. Fortunately it's nothing critical. I suspect it's due to aging materials; I've had it for 3-4 years now.

If this pack is brand new, I'd take it back to the store and look at swapping it out for another one. Check others of the same model for that problem; you might have just gotten a bum pack. You could also call Gregory's customer support line and ask them about it. Or you could decide you can live with it not quite closing all the way.

Uncle Silly
08-09-2006, 13:50
Hmmm... thanks for the waxing tip -- I'll have to try that on my sticking tent sack. :)

bigcranky
08-09-2006, 16:01
ok, I am getting out a candle and giving it a shot on the two Z packs. Thanks for the suggestion.