PDA

View Full Version : Are tarptents hotter than tents?

vaporjourney
08-09-2006, 07:21
pretty simple. assuming you can pitch the tarptent in an area with decent ventilation, are they much warmer than a typical 2 wall tent? There isn't much mesh at all in these Tarptents, which makes me worry that I'd just bake inside in warmer weather, where I can't get enough ventilation. Mainly concerned because while reading a review of the Rainbow (considered the best ventilated by many), a user complained about how it was nearly impossible to sit inside it in the daytime because it was so incredibly hot. With a normal tent, you could always leave off the rain fly to get tons of ventilation. Just wanna know before deciding on a tarptent or not.

FLHiker
08-09-2006, 07:53
I'm changing my rig up on an upcoming trip (two weeks) to Isle Royale - I'm dumping the rain fly on my tent (cabela's xpg) and am carrying a 9x9 Kelty Tarp (I use trekking poles.) This actually is a net savings (very little) of weight, and on most nights I can set it up over the tent (high for good ventilation,) and a nice covered area to sit under - but stop the dew. A little rain, and I can lower it down a bit, a bad storm, and I can completely cover the tent like a rain fly (I hope it's just as waterproof!!)

I absolutely roast in a tent with a rain fly - so I'm hoping this is a better solution.

Jeff

Kerosene
08-09-2006, 08:20
Tarptents typically have much better ventilation than 2-wall tents...the key to reducing interior condensation. However, on a still day in direct sun you're likely to boil in both cases.

mrc237
08-09-2006, 08:50
FLH--I was just thinking about that set-up this week. I have a Tarptent and i'd like to use a tarp over it for sitting/cooking etc. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

hopefulhiker
08-09-2006, 13:23
I used a Tarptent the whole hike last year. I never sat in the tent in the middle of the day. I was never really super hot at night. There seemed to always be shade. I did try to wait a hard rain out on a few mornings. Or set up in the late afternoon to avoid a thunderstorm. The only issue I had was condensation until I learned how to solve that problem by sleeping cooler with just a silk liner in the summer..

bulldog49
08-09-2006, 14:21
Tarptents typically have much better ventilation than 2-wall tents...the key to reducing interior condensation. However, on a still day in direct sun you're likely to boil in both cases.

It's the other way around, 2-wall tents vent better and have less condensation than tarptents. The tarptent advatage is they weigh less.

Two Speed
08-09-2006, 14:36
It's the other way around, 2-wall tents vent better and have less condensation than tarptents. The tarptent advatage is they weigh less.I'll agree that tarptents weigh less, but how do you figure double wall tents ventilate better than single wall tents? Based on my experience with a SD Lightyear and a SMD Lunar you got this half right.

RockyTrail
08-09-2006, 17:16
Tarptents are quite breezy...I have a Squall (original style) and an SD Lightyear. There is no comparison, the Squall is almost open-air so I'd say it's very well vented.

FLHiker
08-09-2006, 19:30
I'll agree that tarptents weigh less, but how do you figure double wall tents ventilate better than single wall tents? Based on my experience with a SD Lightyear and a SMD Lunar you got this half right.

As the theory goes - double wall tents have an interior design that is about 1/2 mesh to keep the skeeters out, then a rain fly that does not go all the way down, allowing everything underneath to vent (much more open venting area) - But I find them to still be hot, hot, hot! They are proported to be much better at exhaling the moisture generated my you sleeping.

FLHiker
08-09-2006, 19:31
FLH--I was just thinking about that set-up this week. I have a Tarptent and i'd like to use a tarp over it for sitting/cooking etc. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

Will do - i'll be back about the 28th - I'll post then.

Jeff