PDA

View Full Version : Silnylon Pack Cover, Sleeping Mat & ULA Catalyst

Michele
08-09-2006, 13:46
I was wondering if anyone else has tried this or can share what they do. I've got a ULA Catalyst pack, which means that I strap my sleeping pad on the outside at the bottom. I also ordered the large silnylon pack cover that Brian makes for his packs. So, upon putting my mat on the outside, if I hook the pack cover on the way I'm "supposed to" with the elastic only holding it on top and clasps on bottom, it pulls off the top of my pack, because of my sleeping mat.

So, I decided to flip the pack cover upside down and use the clasps to hold it on over the top and then just stretch the elastic down around my sleeping mat, which seems to hold it in place pretty good. Only problem I can see w/this is that there is a small portion of the pack (closer to the bottom/sides) that will not be protected by the pack cover, but I also plan to use a trash compactor bag on the inside of my pack for double protection. Does anyone have any experience w/this set-up and if so, what did you do?

Sly
08-09-2006, 16:55
What kind, size of pad are you using?

I have a P-2 and just use a plastic trash bag fitted over the outside with holes where the the shoulder straps are attached to the top of the pack. During times when it wasn't raining, but threatening, I'd roll it up and stick it in the lift loop.

The "cover" which fit near perfect, lasted the entire trail with a couple patches using duct tape.

Michele
08-09-2006, 18:52
I've got a Thermarest Ridgerest, and it's rolled a little larger than normal, because I'm rolling my 16.9 oz fuel bottle and my frogg toggs up in it as well...stuff I don't mind if it gets wet in other words, and allows for easy access. I may have jumped the gun purchasing the pack cover, but if push comes to shove, I'll just sell it here on WB and use a heavy duty trash bag I guess.

dloome
08-09-2006, 22:05
Don't store stuff in it, then strap your pad on vertically using the shock cord. I like carrying my pad this way anyway since it's a narrower profile and you'll have better side coverage from your rain cover. Definitely use the garbage bag anyway though.

rswanson
08-10-2006, 12:51
I also plan to use a trash compactor bag on the inside of my pack for double protection. Does anyone have any experience w/this set-up and if so, what did you do?
A pack cover and a compactor bag liner are overkill. My suggestion is to go with the compactor bag alone. Give it a test run in the rain just to assuage your concerns, you'll be fine.

RockyTrail
08-10-2006, 14:17
Michele, be careful about wrapping things in a Ridgerest outside the pack could cause you to lose them, especilly a smooth fuel bottle.
Eight hours of walking can do a lot to shake them out...:-? and you probably won't hear the thud when it hits the ground.

Sly
08-10-2006, 16:54
A rolled up ridge rest is a little bulky. You may be better off with a 3/4 Thermarest or Z-rest. Store your fuel bottle in one of the mesh pockets and the Frog Toggs inside or slashed on top of your pack depending on the weather.

FishBone
08-10-2006, 17:18
I've got a new Catalyst and use the pack cover "upside down" clipping it to the "lifting strap" on the top of the pack and stretching the pack cover over and down to cover the entire pack.

Sly
08-10-2006, 17:40
I wish I had a new Catalyst! There's several improvements from the P-2 which have to make a great pack, even better.

MosaicMaker
08-11-2006, 00:31
Hi,

I just returneed from a Sierra trip with my new ULA Circuit, I was unsure which pack cover to get, and went with the larger "Jeff's Gear Hammock" from "Jacks are Better".

I got to use it right away during afternoon thunder showers. At first it seemed big (large size is designed for packs over 3000 cubic inches I believe). However, I found that the waistbelt pockets were suitably bulky, for the pack cover to be pulled all the way around forward to clamp over them. This not only gave excellent coverage for my pack, it brought the pack cover around the sides of my body as well- up to the front of my hip bones.

The pack did not have anything extra strapped to the outside, but it was filled to it's capacity. I really enjoyed my Jeff's Gear Hammock, although I didn't end up using it in hammock capacity. I did use it to loosely hold the layers of clothes that I shed befor getting into my hammock. This I tucked between the SuperShelter and the hammock bottom to give aded insulation in an area that had been chilly during the first night on the trail. I found it pretty useful and just one more bit of added functionality.