PDA

View Full Version : Dummest thing I thought about the trail.....

hopefulhiker
08-09-2006, 16:34
I thought that Wild Cat mountain was just one mountain.. For some reason on the thru last year, I didn't realize that there were multiple peaks. Besides the south end of Kinsman this was probably the hardest unexpected day that I had. On the other hand I really sweated Mahoosic Notch before hand but it really was not that bad at all....

Jack Tarlin
08-09-2006, 16:46
In 1995, I was told by many credible sources......and subsequenly believed......that the Commonwealth of Virginia was predominantly flat.

For those of you planning to hike next year, take note:

I was mis-informed.

Cookerhiker
08-09-2006, 17:09
I'm even more naive...

My first AT backpack was Vermont in '77 from Rt. 30 south to Rt. 9. Because I was familiar with Harriman Park, I assumed that Vermont was more of the same (airy atmosphere, plenty of places to camp, fairly easy footing, dry trail) but instead, I hit muck, mud, black flies, mosquitos, tough ascents up Glastonbury and others, rough footings, and finally some descents from which my knees still haven't recovered.

Almost There
08-09-2006, 21:46
In 1995, I was told by many credible sources......and subsequenly believed......that the Commonwealth of Virginia was predominantly flat.

For those of you planning to hike next year, take note:

I was mis-informed.

Me TOO! So far not much of Va. has been easy! I still stand by my statement that as a section hiker Va is rougher than Ga!

fiddlehead
08-09-2006, 22:32
I'm even more naive...

My first AT backpack was Vermont in '77 from Rt. 30 south to Rt. 9. Because I was familiar with Harriman Park, I assumed that Vermont was more of the same (airy atmosphere, plenty of places to camp, fairly easy footing, dry trail) but instead, I hit muck, mud, black flies, mosquitos, tough ascents up Glastonbury and others, rough footings, and finally some descents from which my knees still haven't recovered.

Someone once told me that Vermont only gets 80 days a year of sunny weather. I believe it. That's one nasty weather state. (but i think NH may be worse)

saimyoji
08-09-2006, 23:17
Well, I wasn't misled by anyone, but by my own naievete (sp?) I thought it would be fun to hike up to Sunfish Pond in October. It was a rather warm day (about 70 in the parking lot when I started). When I got to the pond, with daughter on shoulders, it had dropped to about 45. On the way down it dropped to about 35, with flurries. Fortunately it was still about 50 back down in the parking lot. Needless to say we were surprised, though prepared.

SGT Rock
08-10-2006, 04:30
When I was about 12 or so and found out that the trail took about 6 months to complete I thought that you had to start with all your food and go the whole way - I didn;t realize you could get off trail for re-supply. I was totally amazed someone could carry all that gear and also have that much food. I figured that a hiker had to forage along the trail to supplement it,

But I was only 12 at the time.

Blue Jay
08-10-2006, 05:13
I thought that Wild Cat mountain was just one mountain.. For some reason on the thru last year, I didn't realize that there were multiple peaks. Besides the south end of Kinsman this was probably the hardest unexpected day that I had. On the other hand I really sweated Mahoosic Notch before hand but it really was not that bad at all....

That's not dumb, almost everyone thinks Wildcat is one mountain before they get there. Also almost everyone thinks Virginia is flat, and it is:banana especially Dragon's Tooth. There's a mountain in upstate NY called Sawtooth. I've climbed it many times and still do not know which peak is "The" summit. I worried about the Whites the whole way, when I got there I was amazed that the scary AMC was actually friendly and I did not almost die on Mt. Washington. It's like most things in life, you don't really know anything about anything until you actually do it. If there is anything dumb in thinking about the AT prior to doing it, it's overthinking it. You can't know until you're on it.

Cookerhiker
08-10-2006, 09:02
Someone once told me that Vermont only gets 80 days a year of sunny weather. I believe it. That's one nasty weather state. (but i think NH may be worse)

If so, I was lucky. I hiked the Long Trail in sections over 4 years and only had sustained rain once - in '79, 4 straight days going from Brandon Gap to Lincoln Gap. On the other trips, I had perfect weather for Glastonbury, Killington, Mt. Abraham, Camel's Hump, Mansfield, Jay Peak.

Cookerhiker
08-10-2006, 09:06
...... If there is anything dumb in thinking about the AT prior to doing it, it's overthinking it. You can't know until you're on it.

That's certainly true. Don't underestimate the difficulty (ala Bryson) but don't overestimate it either. I'm going through those same emotions now as I prepare to begin the John Muir Trail in 3 weeks.

Gray Blazer
08-10-2006, 09:16
The dumbest thing I thought about the trail......is when I started backpacking again about 10 years ago (30 years after my last time in the Ocala National Forest in FL, flat as girl scout cookies) and I thought I could carry pots and pans and canned food. After about 300 yards up Standing Indian from Deep Gap, I was ready to give up.

Toolshed
08-10-2006, 09:54
The dumbest thing I thought about the trail...... when I was younger, I thought it was wilderness.

max patch
08-10-2006, 10:34
I thot it was an old Indian Trail that was somwhow already there.

Gray Blazer
08-10-2006, 11:07
I thot it was an old Indian Trail that was somwhow already there.

I believe many parts of it are.

SawnieRobertson
08-10-2006, 11:08
In New Hampshire . . . too much granite.

--Kinnickinic

Mother Nature
08-10-2006, 11:39
I had always been scared to death to go through the Smoky's because of bears. When I younger and found out that all the shelters had bear cages I imagined that the Smoky bears had some special distinction that even out classed grizzlys. Even though I knew better I felt an adrenalin rush when we passed the first sign telling us we were in the Smokys. As in the bears could read and new their boundry lines. :p

I was quite disappointed when I made it all the way through the Smokys and never spotted a bear. The Shenandoah provided 8 opportunities, several quite close and I managed to live. :p

Mother Nature

T-Dubs
08-10-2006, 11:40
[quote=Blue Jay]. I worried about the Whites the whole way... [quote]

'Anxiety magnifies fearsome objects'

Bernard P. Fife

Tom

Alligator
08-10-2006, 12:03
I used to think that people that people who undertook LDH would be pro-environment, conservation orientated, extremely self-sufficient, solitude seeking hippies.

Then I joined Whiteblaze.net:eek: . What a crew of strange folks:D .

Nightwalker
08-10-2006, 12:28
I used to think that people that people who undertook LDH would be pro-environment, conservation orientated, extremely self-sufficient, solitude seeking hippies.

Then I joined Whiteblaze.net:eek: . What a crew of strange folks:D .
You'd be surprised at how many folks you meet out there that have never heard of WB.net

Footslogger
08-10-2006, 12:33
[quote=SGT Rock]When I was about 12 or so and found out that the trail took about 6 months to complete I thought that you had to start with all your food and go the whole way.
====================================
Based on some of the questions I got prior to my thru it would seem that this is a somewhat common belief from those who haven't done any distance hiking.

'Slogger

Alligator
08-10-2006, 12:38
You'd be surprised at how many folks you meet out there that have never heard of WB.netI agree with you, no surprise there. I certainly didn't think that WB mirrors the trail population either. But there are enough examples of err, uhm, well, unique people coupled with just general accounts of trail goings-on to have changed my viewpoint:sun .

I did leave out trailjournals.com too for transforming my silly notions.

hammock engineer
08-10-2006, 12:39
[quote=SGT Rock]When I was about 12 or so and found out that the trail took about 6 months to complete I thought that you had to start with all your food and go the whole way.
====================================
Based on some of the questions I got prior to my thru it would seem that this is a somewhat common belief from those who haven't done any distance hiking.

'Slogger

I got a few of these questions too.

Gray Blazer
08-10-2006, 14:18
In New Hampshire . . . too much granite.

--Kinnickinic
A lot of people take NH for granite.:rolleyes: So sorry, couldn't resist. (slapping own wrist right now).

gsingjane
08-10-2006, 14:22
I'm surprised nobody mentioned this one yet (or maybe I'm actually uniquely unique, even for this board). I thought the trail would be sort of nice, soft loam, maybe 4 feet wide, and wind slowly through the trees and forests. I had absolutely NO idea how many rocks, tree roots, boulders, tree trunks, and other obstacles there would be... how the footing would be rough and rocky virtually the entire way.

I'm going to steal this one from my buddy LiHikers, who told me that he used to think that those stone steps you sometimes see going up and down hills, to and from roads, etc. just luckily happened to be there as tne result of natural formations (sorry Alan but that one was too good not to post!).

I talk to lots of people who are freaked out that you wouldn't carry as much water as you'd need for your entire trip. I don't know if they envision somebody hiking with 20 milk jugs full of water in their pack or what, but that's a common misconception I run into.

Jane in CT

frieden
08-11-2006, 09:27
The dumbest thing I thought about the trail...... when I was younger, I thought it was wilderness.

When I was younger, it was wilderness!

One Leg
08-11-2006, 13:11
Dragons Tooth... Just the mere mention of the name sent chills through me. I'd heard horror story after horror story about it. I went around it on my way North.. When I went back and did it, I thought THIS is what I was afraid of???

We tend to fear the unknown, when in reality, it isn't anywhere as bad as we were thinking.

Kerosene
08-11-2006, 16:57
Dragons Tooth is a bit tougher towards the end of a long warm day heading south, what with that never-ending series of stone steps, but still something to look forward to rather than dread!

I "dreaded" what turned out to be a little ford of Stony Creek in South Central Virginia last spring, especially as I read about a female thru-hiker who had water up to her chest and almost got washed away when she went through a few weeks earlier. I did everything the way I had remembered reading about how to ford a stream: tying my boots together and hanging from my neck, packing away my glasses, unbuckling my hip belt, etc. The path I picked out only had water up to my knees and I got across faster than I thought I would; my feet refreshed by the cold water. Can't wait to do Maine.

I get to hike the Whites next month. Despite all of my years of backpacking and reading, I still have a mix of trepidation and excitement over this challenge. I know that I should be just fine, but it will be weird to see those little white crosses next to the trail.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 12:44
I remember dreading Albert Mountain for days before I got there. Several people had told me it was "the toughest, steepest trail in the South."

Well, the trail up Albert is sorta straight up. But it's only about two tenths of a mile long! Before I knew it, I was on top of the thing wondering where the tough part was.

Don't believe everything you hear, especially if it's from folks hiking in the other direction!

fiddlehead
08-12-2006, 23:05
Growing up near Eagle's Nest shelter just south of Port Clinton, i thought that the whole AT would have rocks jutting up all over the trail. So, i found the trail to be somewhat easier walking than what i expected. It was a bummer to learn that the part of the trail i grew up on, was considered by many to be the part they hated the most.

twosticks
08-14-2006, 17:30
I was almost in the same came as the sarge. I knew nothing of the maildrops, car rides, trail angels and the like. It's nice to know that a community exists out there to help people along. Although to put yourself in the shoes or boots of the first one who undertook this trail must have been an amazing thing.

Disney
08-18-2006, 16:34
I spent a night in the smokies listening to a group of overnighters talk about how incredibly difficult the climb to clingmans dome was going to be the next day. It was so bad you had to rest every few hundred yards. I spent the next day waiting for the climb and went so far as to have a snack and emptied my canteens about a mile south of the dome. Anticipating the killer incline looming out of the fog, I realized it was over when I heard car tourists chatting and laughing.

Toolshed
08-19-2006, 09:48
I took my banker "spoiled rotten high maintenance golfer type" brother-in-law out for an overnight on the ATa few years ago. I was actually taking his young boys, but he wanted to come along. Although I had enough gear for them, I told them they would need water bottles - They showed up with a 24-count case of dannon water to bring with them.
Anyways, after I set them straight we did Fox Gap to DWG - a nice gentle overnight of about 8 miles.
That night we camped at the overlook by Kirkridge and when I pulled the tent out of his pack to set up, a plastic bag full of change (at least $25-$30 worth) fell out - It must have weighed 3 lbs. I asked him what it was for. He said, matter-of-factly "for the pop and snack machines along the way". The look on my face must have clued him in.
He later told me he was sure the AT was paved all the way and he couldn't beleive that they didn't have snack machines and pop machines ever few miles and why on earth would anybody want to "just walk" on this miserable trail...."