PDA

View Full Version : Speed on the AT

chris
03-31-2003, 14:06
I can't recall, nor can I find, what the current speed record for a self supported thru hike of the AT is. There was someone a few years back who ran the AT, but he had a support van. I think there was someone the same year who did a mostly (if not all) self supported thruhike in only a few days less. Does anyone recall the exact numbers?

Lone Wolf
03-31-2003, 14:09
In 1990 Ward Leonard hiked the AT in 60 days unsupported. Pete Palmer hiked it in 48 days supported.

warren doyle
09-22-2003, 09:59
Lone Wolf is correct. Ward has the shortest time for an unsupported thru-hike. However, there is some evidence that he road-walked Pleasant Pond Rd. north of Caratunk (rather than taking the Holly Brook relocation of the AT) after using the ferry service across the Kennebec. Regardless of these minor points, he still has the shortest unsupported AT thru-hike. His completing the AT three times in well under a calendar year (unsupported) is a singular achievement of greater significance.
The remaining Appalachian Trail endurance challenge left is walking the entire AT four times in one calendar year.
Pete Palmer's record is 48+ days (but under 49 days). I have the exact time if you want that.

MOWGLI
09-22-2003, 13:09
Weary, a former thru-hiker, and maintainer for MATC met Ward on his way South after completing his 3rd thru-hke in one calendar year. He posted a snippet from the conversation he had with Ward out on the trail. It was kind of interesting, but since I don't recall it exactly, I won't attempt to paraphrase.

You out there Weary?

Youngblood
09-22-2003, 14:26
Speaking of Ward, what ever happened to him?

Youngblood

UberPest
09-22-2003, 16:10
this year an 18-year old from Grand Rapids, MI did it in 89 days. He started right after he graduated high school and started going faster (and longer days) because he was so lonely and wanted to catch up with the rest of the class. He not only caught up with everyone else around VA, but passed them. He was doing 30 & 40 miles a day near the end, and at least one 50 mile day.

A-Train
09-22-2003, 19:10
This year a guy named Overshot hiked the trail in about 76 days.
Started April 11 and finished on July 6th I think. He passed me on Mt Greylock, after starting 42 days after me. He averaged over 25 miles a day and was routinely doing 30's in new england. Highlander II, who has a journal on trailjournals hiked with him a lot. They did a few high 20 mile days thru the whites which i thought was impressive.
A-Train

illininagel
09-23-2003, 00:24
Other notable speed hikes include (SOURCE: Roland Mueser's "Long-Distance Hiking"):

---Jim Adams was reported going 52.4 miles in one day on the AT carrying a full pack in his 1990 hike. He started at Dennis Cove campground in Tennessee at midnight and finished in Damascus, Virginia, at 7 PM some 19 hours later; Not only was Adams carrying a regular pack, but perched on top was his cat Ziggy!

--David Horton hiked the AT in 52 days at an average speed of 4.3 MPH in 1991. He was an ultramarathoner and was van supported.

--Scott Grierson covered the AT in 55 days in 1991---a record at the time and walked over 16 hours a day (van supported).

--Earl Shaffer completed the AT in 99 days in 1965!

--Ward Leonard took 61 days in 1991 (a record trip with no support system).

--Grandma Emma Gatewood took 146 days at age 67.

--Bill Irwin, a blind hiker, took 253 days to complete the trail in 1990.

--Warren Doyle completed the trip in 67 days in 1975 (a record trip, supported). Through 1996, he has made 10 AT trips.

I hope that you have found these tidbits to be of interest.

warren doyle
09-23-2003, 07:48
Just the facts:
My hike in 1973 (not 1975), was 66.33 days (not 67). I had NO support from Springer Mt. to Cloverdale,VA. My Dad then decided to come down (taking his vacation days from work) and provided support for me until Grafton Notch. I then walked almost the entire state of Maine with NO support.
The endurance record for the southern half of the AT is held by Sam Swisher-McClure who walked from Springer Mt. to Pine Grove Furnace State Park in 24 days (w/support) at the age of 19 in 1998.
As of today, 9/23/03, I have walked the ENTIRE AT twelve times.

illininagel
09-23-2003, 08:25
Warren,

Thanks for clarifying the facts. I should know by now that I shouldn't always believe what I read...

Did Roland Mueser interview you at all before writing his book?

Lone Wolf
09-23-2003, 08:33
Scott Grierson's (Maineak) hike was not a record at the time. David Horton finished a few days before Scott and held the record for 7 years. I was Scott's support. I don't think this Meuser guy interviewed anyone.

Blue Jay
09-23-2003, 09:19
Both Roland's and Bill Bryson's books are for entertainment purposes only. Both are fiction.

Highlander II
09-23-2003, 11:08
Overshot finished 10 days faster (not that speed really matters) than I this year. My thru-hike ended up taking 97 days with 2 zeros in Damascus. Overshot also had 2 zeros.

We hiked together from Lehigh Gap to Rangely, ME where Overshot slowed down by a day because of the brutal heat/humdity in June. (The heat hit me real hard too, hiking from 5am to 8 pm one day only netted 25 miles. Then I took a 5 mile "wimp day" in Rangely.)

I had no intention of doing that many miles on the hike this year but it kind of just happened. Sitting around after 20 by 2pm was too boring so I just hiked on.

In 91 when hiking from Damascus North to ME I met up with Maineak (Scott Grieson sp?) in VA and Ward Leonard in PA. In 92 I talked with Ward for a couple of hours. Interesting guy. At the time I couldn't understand how someone could hike 30 miles in a day consistently. Little did I know...

I believe in the "hike your own hike" philosophy. I certainly tried to be totally supportive of every other hiker I met. I certainly hope everyone I met was able to finish this year.

Highlander II

PS: Congrats A-Train! Nice to see another whom I met finishing.

warren doyle
09-23-2003, 12:18
Congratulations to both Overshot and Highlander II for their treks of endurance and discipline. I also appreciate Highlander II for presenting the facts before they get so easily distorted on the info superhighway.
Roland's book and Bryson's book are worlds apart. Roland's book was a good-hearted. sincere, amateur effort to help explain the long-distance hiking experience on the AT. I applaud and respect his effort.
As to Bryson, he was a professional and in it for the money. Someone who has a several thousand dollar advance from his publisher should be expected to not masquerade figures as facts when he hasn't confirmed them with the 'amateur' others who know better than him. I consider his 'book' and how it portrays the long distance hiking community the same as how James Dickey's 'Deliverance' portrays the people of north Georgia.

illininagel
09-23-2003, 17:36
I second Warren's opinion about the two books. Roland's book is based purely on surveys that he conducted with many (over 150 I believe) thru-hikers. It is fact-based to the extent that it reflects the combined wisdom of these thru-hikers. He simply shares their best thinking about a range of issues that people will face on the trail.

Bryson, on the other hand, wrote a best seller that is primarily intended to entertain and amuse people. And, let's give him some credit---it worked! I can't tell you how many people read his book that previously had very little or no knowledge of thru-hiking, or backpacking for that matter. I have not thru-hiked myself and I still found many of his generalizations to be very annoying. However, I must admit that I thought the book was humorous and it spiked my interest in the AT. I just wish Bryson wouldn't have quit---the book lost a great deal once he basically gave up thru-hiking.

Peaks
09-24-2003, 07:53
Well, I'll say something good about Bill Bryson's book. The man dropped out. Now, that makes him just like the 85% of people who don't complete the thru-hike. So, in that regard, he is much more like the majority of hikers than the minority of us who go all the way.

warren doyle
09-24-2003, 09:11
I don't know of many people who start out on Springer heading north who are doing the trail with a $5,000 cash advance from his publisher to write a book about walking the Appalachian Trail.
Bryson's reason/motivation for attempting to walk the trail put him in the 'distinct minority' of northbound pilgrims on Springer.
Model T, Cindy Ross, Steve Sherman/Julia O, and David Brill did not have this reason/motivation to do the trail yet they all completed their journies and wrote wonderful, heart-felt, and more accurate narratives of the long-distance hiking experience on the Appalachian Trail.
All of them have been willing to share their experiences with other long distance hikers as well. Mr. Bryson couldn't even walk across the Dartmouth green to address over 400 long distance hikers at a ALDHA Gathering held after his book had just been published. Steve Newman, who wrote the fabulous "WorldWalk", has presented his program to two Gatherings virtually pro bono.

Blue Jay
09-24-2003, 09:22
Mr. Bryson also made a great deal of money on the trail. His book was a best seller and continues to sell. In an interview I heard on the radio he was asked if he had donated any money at all to any organization involved with the trail. He admitted that he had not. He could be the largest leech on the AT.

Matt Pincham
10-08-2003, 08:18
I read this thread and I can't help myself having to argue my opinion of some of the people who post on this forum.

How can Bill Bryson be considered a leech? He hiked the trail just like millions of others each year. He gave none of his profits from book sales to the organisations that maintain the trail.
That is his choice. Writing books is how Mr Bryson makes his living, if he wants to live the life he lives then it is entirely up to him. I expect there are many like him who give no money.
He may have given nothing to the trail, but how can you say he has taken something (as would a leech)? He hiked parts of the trail...then wrote a book...leech? I think not.

Several people on this forum have a real chip on their shoulder. While the knowledge I am gaining for my attempt to thru-hike in 2004 is very valuable, I cannot believe the audacity of some people on this site. Yes, maybe behind your computer you're King of the Trail but if you were to act the same in real life you'd just be downright rude.
I am only 21, I have unfortunately not been able to hike the AT 12 'ENTIRE' times as I have been busy with such things as growing up and going through school. When I attempt the thru-hike, (if figures are anything to go by) there is a distinct possibility that I may not complete it. I am determined to however, and believe that by next September I will be able to join your little 'elite thru-hiking club'. This is not a club which I would wish to join, if I thru-hike the AT it's for me, not for bragging about on an internet forum!

Lone Wolf
10-08-2003, 08:26
Go Matt!! I liked Bryson's book. I don't give money to the trail or am I an ATC member.

smokymtnsteve
10-08-2003, 09:48
I love the book "a walk in the woods" and I like some of bill ryson other books, such as " I'ma stranger here myself" and "in a sunburned country"....

I assume that If you are thru-hiking and doing big mile days you are not taking the time to meet the characters that are in bill's book ..cause they are out there every year...

chris
10-08-2003, 11:24
A few comments.

1) One can do big mile days and still meet plenty of interesting characters and see lots of fun stuff on the side.

2) I found Bryson's book amusing, but I can see how people might dislike it and the way the author set about writing it. A big reason that the AT exists and is in the shape it is in is because of volunteers giving their time and money in helping to maintain it. When someone comes along whose intent is solely to make a profit off of this volunteer effort, people are naturally a bit upset about it. Whether or not they should is a different argument. This isn't to say that Bryson's book is the only example; but, it is the most prominent, well known one. If Bryson had made some sort of donation to the ATC, even a token one, the ill will feeling would have been lessened. But, he is under no obligation to do so.

3) Having reread some of the posts that so infuriated Matt, I really don't see any instance of bragging or boasting. I started this thread by asking a simply question out of idle curiosity: How fast has the AT been hiked? People responded factually, not in a boastful manner. Warren Doyle has hiked 12 times. That is a fact, not a boast. It is a remarkable accomplishment and bringing it into this forum does not contitute a boast. Several people did very fast, sub 100 day hikes this year. That is a fact, not a boast. A boast would be a hiker trying to imply that their style of hike was somehow superior or fundamentally better to someone else's hike. For example, implying that a fast hike would be more enjoyable, or that by doing a slow hike, one meets more interesting people or has a better time.

With, perhaps, only one exception, none of the responses in this thread have been rude or otherwise uncivil. A rude statement would be something like correcting Larry's grammar. I'm always amazed at how civil and pleasant this forum is, despite the lack of moderators. For a uncivil read, subscribe to the AT-L.

ganj
10-08-2003, 11:48
I think the biggest point of contention is that Walk in the Woods is by far the most well known book about the AT. So I think in a way people might be resentful that the trail is represented by an indvidual who experienced and knew so little about it. I remember they were talking about a TV movie just over a year ago, wonder what happened.

I liked the book. I picked it up between flights in O'Hare back in 99 or 2000. I had thought about doing the AT before but after reading the book I was committed. And I am sure that I was not the only one this happened to.

smokymtnsteve
10-08-2003, 12:02
Originally posted by chris
A few comments.

A rude statement would be something like correcting Larry's grammar.

or my spellin:D

smokymtnsteve
10-08-2003, 12:11
Look I have no problem with how anybody wants to hike the trail...big miles, slow , real slow, zero days , no zero days ,, or like I did in 99, when i took two weeks to do the smokies...

but i'm purty sure that you have moe time to gossip and hang out ....if you not doing as many miles.....

no pain, no rain, no maine,

all run, no fun, just get it done...

go slow, let'em go, see the show...

chris
10-08-2003, 12:18
Originally posted by smokymtnsteve

but i'm purty sure that you have moe time to gossip and hang out ....if you not doing as many miles.....

Can't you talk while you walk? If I go from Fontana to Gatlinburg in a day and a half, and then spend another day and a half hanging out at the Ripleys museum, don't I spend more time chilling than someone who takes 3 days to hike to Gatlinburg? Of course, I can't imagine a sum that would induce me to voluntarily go into Gatlinburg, but that is another matter.

Besides, I can spend alot more time hanging out and gossiping by sitting in a local sports bar and leering at the students than if I go out hiking.

smokymtnsteve
10-08-2003, 14:57
I guess that's why we should all hike our own hikes....

g'burg and ripley's....????? chillin??? I was thinkin more like...time hanging in nice places along the trail eatin blueberry pancakes and such....

chris
10-08-2003, 15:11
Originally posted by smokymtnsteve

g'burg and ripley's....????? chillin??? I was thinkin more like...time hanging in nice places along the trail eatin blueberry pancakes and such....

I was just trying to think of the worst place in the US. Speaking of pancakes, there is a place on the PCT in northern California with a pancake challenge. Eat 5 pancakes, and they are free. I believe approximately 4 people have successfully completed the challenge in the 6 or 8 years it has been operating. I didn't go for, opting instead for a bacon double cheeseburger that I could barely finish. Yes, it really did have that much pork on it.

smokymtnsteve
10-08-2003, 15:19
well you got that right as g'burg is the armpit of tn

Peaks
10-08-2003, 16:58
Originally posted by L. Wolf
Go Matt!! I liked Bryson's book. I don't give money to the trail or am I an ATC member.

Hiking the AT requires several months. Anyone who has done it has benefited from the tireless efforts of many volunteers.

Anyone who does not give back to the trail in some form is a leech. If you are not close to the trail, then at the very least you can support the trail financially by joinging either the ATC or one of the maintaining clubs. And, if you are not close to the AT, then participate with the local trail club in your area. If you are going to the Gathering this weekend, then stay over for the trail work party.

mongo
10-08-2003, 19:35
I think one thing about Bill Bryson's book that we have overlooked is that when he was experincing the AT it was in some really bad weather and out of shape. Those things together can really get you down. Once he had done 400 miles and then realised thathe hadn't even gone a fifth of the distnace everything would have got on top of him.

For many people they would not even start the trail if it hadn't been for his book.

I loved his book and it wasn't until I got on the trail that I realised that he missed the whole point of the trail. In fact so much so that I sometimes wonder if he was ever on the trail or not. However it dosen't make me like his book any less.

Having read this thread I am sure I picked a undercurrent of people who have hiked the whole trail and those who have failed.

Personally I feel sorry for those who never made the whole trail but only because they missed out on experince of the trail. However not finishing the trail isn't a metaphore for life. It could just mean you have found out that you really don't like hiking or you can't stand the smell of mouse droppings!

Lone Wolf
10-08-2003, 19:39
I live 50 yards from the AT. I have done trail maintaining. I have spent hundreds of $ on "magic" and driven thousands of miles giving free shuttles. I pay major amounts of federal tax yearly part of which goes to purchase land to set the AT in stone. Cuz I don't give $30 a year to the ATC makes me a leech? Kiss my a** son.

smokymtnsteve
10-08-2003, 20:08
Lone wolf don't you know that all the nonprofit types who can't or don't make a living in the real world NEED your donations so they can pay thier salary?????

Lone Wolf
10-08-2003, 20:09
Hey mongo. The AT was never conceived, designed or built with a "thru-hike" in mind. Thru-hikers "miss out" on the trail experience.

smokymtnsteve
10-08-2003, 20:11
Mongo personally I feel sorry for folks who don't get to spend whole years running around the smokies and the southern mtns....they miss so much..

mongo
10-08-2003, 20:14
Dear Mr Wolf

I disagree, they get a experince just like everybody else. It is just different. Same as the section hiker has a different experince etc etc.

What I meant is that if you have that stated goal of being a thru-hiker then don't complete you miss out on the experince of being a thru-hiker. Personally I found it to be great and so much fun that I wish other people could share in it.

While the AT was not thought about with thru-hikers in mind, things change.

Yeah Baby!

Mongo the very mellow.
:D

mongo
10-08-2003, 20:16
Dear Mr Steve

It is true that many will miss this, but for most people this is impossible.

So many places to see before you depart this mortal coil!

Mongo

Skeemer
10-08-2003, 20:22
Great comments Matt ...and thanks Highlander II for mentioning "Hike Your Own Hike."

smokymtnsteve
10-08-2003, 20:22
Mongo,

when you have made over 10 traverses of the southern part of the trail and in every season and type of weather....then you can tell me about trail experiences missed ...thanks:eek:

Lone Wolf
10-08-2003, 20:23
Sure mongo. Whatever. You da man.

smokymtnsteve
10-08-2003, 20:28
:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

warren doyle
10-09-2003, 08:59
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matt Pincham
"Several people on this forum have a real chip on their shoulder. While the knowledge I am gaining for my attempt to thru-hike in 2004 is very valuable, I cannot believe the audacity of some people on this site. Yes, maybe behind your computer you're King of the Trail but if you were to act the same in real life you'd just be downright rude."

Matt, I don't consider myself 'King of the Trail' (besides I don't like monarchies). I do consider myself a knowledgeable human resource for hiking the entire AT. In my real life as an educator, I try to present facts as objectively as possible.

"I am only 21,"

Ah, impetuous youth!

"I have unfortunately not been able to hike the AT 12 'ENTIRE' times as I have been busy with such things as growing up and going through school. When I attempt the thru-hike, (if figures are anything to go by) there is a distinct possibility that I may not complete it. I am determined to however, and believe that by next September I will be able to join your little 'elite thru-hiking club'. This is not a club which I would wish to join, if I thru-hike the AT it's for me, not for bragging about on an internet forum!"

There is a good chance that if you do complete the entire AT (which I hope you do) you will mention the fact to someone sometime. I hope they don't think you're boasting because you will probably feel that you are taking a 'quiet pride' by just stating a fact.

Rain Man
10-09-2003, 09:19
Originally posted by mongo
I loved his book and it wasn't until I got on the trail that I realised that he missed the whole point of the trail. ...

Rain Man loved the book too, Mr. Mongo.

Rain Man want to ask Mongo what is _THE_ "whole point" of the trail???

Rain Man under false impression the trail had many, many, many points,-- one for each and every hiker taking that walk in the woods.

Rain Man thanks Mongo for the elucidation, as Rain Man just a dumb beginning section hiker!!! :)

(now, where's that tongue-in-cheek smiley face when Rain Man need it?!)

RenaissanceMan98
10-09-2003, 20:25
you people need to stop typing and go hiking

*grabs pack, shuts off compu-

stranger
10-11-2003, 02:19
Not that he would remember me but I met Warren at the Gathering in Carlise in '97 I believe...and he is probably the last person in the trail scene who I would say is arrogant. I could recommend another webpage for you to check out if you think people on here boast! Good ol Wingfoots place.

Nightwalker
11-21-2003, 12:36
you people need to stop typing and go hiking

*grabs pack, shuts off compu-

That's one of the few upsides of disability. :)
I had a pair of strokes a few years ago, and hiking was my main physical therapy (Doc said "get in better shape, or the next one will probably veg you out or kill you". [not exact words]). I got obsessed, and now I'm on the trail almost as much as at home.

My wife's a real saint, and that's no joke. She's already on mailing lists figuring out how to support me from home while I'm on a SOBO early next June on the AT.

In another thread, someone was saying that it takes less time to do a SOBO, and was wondering why. I can't say for sure, but have some theories.

1. You carry a lighter summer pack.

2. By the time you get to the insane up-and-downs down south, you'll be in the best shape of your life.

Is this just BS? Anybody?

Thanks,
Frank

jackiebolen
11-21-2003, 14:13
I love Bill Bryson's book. I thought it was one of the funniest books I've ever read! I've read it 3 or 4 times and still laugh out loud every second page or so. Who cares if he doesn't want to come speak at conferences or donate money. He's an author, not a hard-core hiker like the rest of you so why impose your standards upon him. He doesn't gripe about some people's atrocious spelling and grammar on trailjournals.com.

Crash
11-21-2003, 17:54
I liked Bill Bryson's book because it was of the AT. Bill has inspired a lot of people to go out on the trail.

I have read his other books and found the thread between all of them. People like Bill are just passing through other people's worlds. Like they are looking at the world in a store front window. Look but don't touch.

So, when you pass thru - try to make a difference. You can make it a better place by becoming part of the AT world. So when you are out on the Trail, pick up the litter, move the branches out of the way, sweep out a shelter even tho you are not staying there. Beome part of our world.

The next sound you hear is me getting kicked off my soapbox. deservedly so.

alpine
12-02-2003, 08:07
with drawn

Blue Jay
12-02-2003, 08:26
Hey, Matt I wonder if some people have spent more time on this forum then on the AT some times. ;)

Alpine, you must be speaking about yourself as your average is 1.43 posts per day.

max patch
12-02-2003, 10:48
Alpine, you must be speaking about yourself as your average is 1.43 posts per day.

Whats your point; you average 1.37 posts per day yourself.

Blue Jay
12-02-2003, 11:01
Yes, but I don't make fun of people who use this forum. Ok, I do, but not just for the fact that they use it.

Nightwalker
12-02-2003, 19:01
Yes, but I don't make fun of people who use this forum. Ok, I do, but not just for the fact that they use it.

Can I quote you on that? :)

Frank

alpine
12-03-2003, 10:59
with drawn

Blue Jay
12-03-2003, 11:51
I'll try my best, but it's hard to meet everyone who threatens me on line. I thought you were going to be in Nepal or Morocco.

Nightwalker
12-03-2003, 13:21
I for one really hope to meet this stand up guy on the trail. :D

I do too, no joke. It should be interesting. Vanilla people aren't nearly so interesting. :)

Lone Wolf
12-03-2003, 13:53
I'd hang out with Blue Jay and toss back a few cold ones.

Blue Jay
12-03-2003, 14:18
Damn, two compliments. I'm going to have to try harder, I'm never going to win AHole of the year now.

Nightwalker
12-03-2003, 21:49
Damn, two compliments. I'm going to have to try harder, I'm never going to win AHole of the year now.

One has nothing to do with the other, believe me! :)

illininagel
12-03-2003, 22:39

Blue Jay,

Don't let it go to your head. Even a blind pig finds an acorn sometime.

alpine
12-04-2003, 05:02
with drawn

Matt Pincham
12-04-2003, 09:23
Some people don't have much in life but the AT and it is sad. Good going Matt! I really don't like Bryson's book much but the last time I checked it was still a free country to make money hike or what ever. Hey, Matt I wonder if some people have spent more time on this forum then on the AT some times. ;)

Have to say I'm guilty of that cos I've never even been to the US. But soon, very soon (well Marchish time anyway! Getting more excited everyday. Got boots, pack etc and most clothing now) I'll be out there with nothing to worry about for 5/6 months (except money, I worry about that but should be ok). I'm so damn excited I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve :D

goshawk
12-04-2003, 10:36
Yes, you should be and welcome to the USA and our trails it nice to run into limey's on the trail I have met a few.Former thruhiker Union Jack sticks out in my mind! :welcome

Blue Jay
12-04-2003, 13:51
Yes, Brits are great. I met one in 2000 in Vermont who was a local UK champion in that sport they have where you tie your pants legs at the cuffs, place two ferrets in your pants, then tie the belt opening shut. Last one to let the ferrets out wins. I was going to try it with a weasel (not The Weasel) but we couldn't find one. He told me the hard part was that you're not allowed to drink while they're in there.