PDA

View Full Version : 1930s AT guide

joshcampfield
08-09-2006, 19:40
I'm borrowing an original 1931 copy of "Guide to Paths in the Blue Ridge" from a college library. It's basically one of the first, if not THE first, AT guide ever printed, goes from somewhere in PA down to Rockfish Gap.
I'd like to put some of the trail guide data online. Would that be a copyright violation? haha. And also, how much would one of these books be worth if it were sold?

--Josh

fiddlehead
08-09-2006, 21:42
I'd give you $10 for it.
I would think you would be violating the copyright by copying and pasting it.
That's the way i read the rules.
But so many do it on here.
Of course that doesn't make it right.

jlb2012
08-10-2006, 07:39
I'd give you $10 for it.
I would think you would be violating the copyright by copying and pasting it.
That's the way i read the rules.
But so many do it on here.
Of course that doesn't make it right.

A book from 1931 is almost certainly in the public domain and no longer protected by copyright - see link (http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/training/Hirtle_Public_Domain.htm)

The Old Fhart
08-10-2006, 07:56
I'm borrowing an original 1931 copy of "Guide to Paths in the Blue Ridge" from a college library. [emphasis mine]

Although HOI is correct about copying text because that is in the public domain, the fact that it physically belongs to a college library would mean it isn't for sale.;)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-10-2006, 08:16
I'm borrowing an original 1931 copy of "Guide to Paths in the Blue Ridge" from a college library.Ummm... I don't think you could legal sell it and I imagine you would be charged the actual value (which I'm guessing is far more than $10) by the college if you 'lost' it. (Old Fhart and I posted at the same time - great minds think alike :D)

As HOI's link says, unless the copyright was renewed (very unlikely), the book is in the public domain. Just to be on the safe side, I would cite the source. Copyright laws allow material to be shared for informational or educational purposes when cited, but not to be reprinted for profit.

StarLyte
08-10-2006, 08:25
Oh I bet the Appalachian Trail Museum-Larry Luxenberg-would like to see that!

Newb
08-10-2006, 09:00
Many libraries will have books on their shelves for years that are of historical interest and not be aware of it. If the book is truly a collectors item the library should be informed. Ask them if you can speak to the head of special collections and make him/her aware. The book can then be pulled and put on special display or loaned to a museum/research facility. I found a book at the University of Alabama that dated to the 1700s that was out on the public shelves. Apparently it had been part of a private library that had been donated to the university in the 1930s and stuck on a shelf. They were VERY pleased to discover it.

Spock
08-10-2006, 10:11
When a copyright lapses, the material enters the public domain and anyone can use it any way.

Check the status of the copyright. The copyright holder will be listed on one of the first pages. The Library of Congress may be able to help if you can't locate the copyright holder. Again, if it's lapsed, it's lapsed.

Have you noticed the proliferation of 'classic' literature in Barnes and Noble and other large book chains? That's because they can print them free... no royalties because the copyright is lapsed and no problem getting permission. This is how the Gutenberg Project works. Go for it. Have fun. I want to read it.

StarLyte
08-10-2006, 10:16
Whoa-great idea Spock - never thought about that. Yes, research it. I would LOVE to see that book. Keep us informed !

general
08-10-2006, 13:06
depending on the condition of the book, several hundred dollars. it's like anything else though, it's only worth what you can get someone to pay for it.

The Old Fhart
08-10-2006, 13:25
Even an old stained PA game law book (http://www.metrocast.net/~rjb0343/Test/EarlGame1839.jpg) can have some value if the owner make some pencil drawings (http://www.metrocast.net/~rjb0343/Test/EarlBird1840.jpg) inside.;)

MedicineMan
08-10-2006, 14:24
an original map of the entire AT overlayed onto the current AT, i'm wondering how much has changed versus stayed the same, i'm betting 70% of it is different than even what Earl hiked.

hammock engineer
08-10-2006, 15:10
I think you can post some of the excerts. Just make sure you cite the original source. It shouldn't be any different than when I cite other people's work in a paper. You might want to check the laws to make sure.

Ewker
08-10-2006, 21:07
A couple of yrs ago I was in a book store in a small town in Indiana. I was just browsing and found these books:

Guide to the Appalachian Trail from CT/NY state line to Susquehanna River,Pa includes pull out maps for different sections of the trail, dated 1957

Guide to the Appalachian Trail in Maine, includes pull out maps for different sections of the trail, dated 1953

Guide to Trails in the SNP, Appalachain Trail and side trails,no maps dated 1959 (5th edition)
Interesting note in this book. It says that The Appalachian Trail in the SNP is NOT marked by the usual 2 by 6 inch white blaze. Where the trail may not be clear the Park has put up th diamond shaped Appalachian Trail markers.

joshcampfield
08-14-2006, 10:28
Well I just reserved five guides from about 1940 ish, except for that one which was 1931. They should come in 7-10 days according to the library guy. Should show the complete trail as of the early 40s.

Is there anything in particular anyone'd like me to copy? Any sections or areas, anything like that? I can't wait to get ahold of these.

--josh

joshcampfield
10-01-2006, 17:38
I just got:
Guide to the Southern Appalachians, by ATC 1942 (goes from Oglethorpe to Damascus)
and Guide to the AT in New England, by ATC, 1939, with supplements to 1949

I'm starting to scan them in slowly. What sections would you guys want?

jc

emerald
10-01-2006, 19:50
I would like to see a map or written description of the A.T. prior to World War II for the above-listed section. At that time the A.T. followed Blue Mountain through what later became and may still be known as Fort Indiantown Gap Military Reservation.

I'm less than certain when a new route was constructed or what if any official route existed at the time of Earl Shaffer's first thru-hike.

joshcampfield
10-01-2006, 20:23
I'll see if I can get the book for that area. I reserved 5 books covering the whole trail, but only 2 have come in yet, one came from Alabama and one's from Florida. They're in my posession for a grand total of one week.

If I get the others in I'll let you guys know.

jc

mweinstone
10-03-2006, 17:37
the appalachian trail, by ronold m fisher, forward by benton mackaye, hard back .national geographic 1972. it was a gift from a client whos house i painted. cool book. know it?

emerald
10-03-2006, 17:53
the appalachian trail, by ronold m fisher, forward by benton mackaye, hard back .national geographic 1972. it was a gift from a client whos house i painted. cool book. know it?

Were you directing your question to anyone in particular and what is it you would want us to know about that book? I have a copy.

joshcampfield
10-04-2006, 17:07
Never heard of it. Maybe I'll try finding a copy. Is the book any good?

emerald
10-04-2006, 20:36

Never heard of it. Maybe I'll try finding a copy. Is the book any good?

Find out for yourself. You can borrow mine. Gerry Reed Kramer gave me Len's copy recently. When are you coming hiking with BMECC?

emerald
10-08-2006, 06:21
This morning I found some answers to the question I posed in post #18 when a Google search turned up this (http://www.satc-hike.org/history.htm), a page from SATC's website. It's seems Earl Shaffer figured prominantly in identifying the problem, formulating its solution and bringing it to fruition.

I always wondered about the A.T.'s crossing of The Rockville Bridge over the Susquehanna River, once, if not still, the longest stone-arch bridge in the world. The Pennsylvania Railroad apparently wasn't keen on the idea as you will learn by reading the linked SATC page.

Check out ExplorePAhistory.com's Rockville Bridge link (http://www.explorepahistory.com/hmarker.php?markerId=638) for information on this remarkable structure.

emerald
10-08-2006, 15:11
an original map of the entire AT overlayed onto the current AT, i'm wondering how much has changed versus stayed the same, i'm betting 70% of it is different than even what Earl hiked.

Since we know the current route and have it in the form of NPS's *.pdf map, maybe what we need is for interested individuals in different areas, either with maps already in their possession or with access to them to transcribe Earl's route and the original route onto their segments of NPS's map. We should then be able to share our own work with one another and anyone else who may be interested.

Do we have individuals with mapping expertise and/or access to old maps that can make this happen?

I'd take responsibility for attempting to gather that information from the Susquehanna to the Lehigh Rivers.

Josh, are you still alive and did you get any of the guide books you mentioned?

joshcampfield
10-08-2006, 18:04
Still here. I haven't got any of the other guidebooks yet. There are 4 maps folded and bound inside the Southern Appalachians book, but I'm almost afraid to open them in case they rip or whatever. haha.
I know a little bit (and I mean a little bit) about mapping and all that, and i might be able to help with that project, not sure yet. My access to the maps would be limited to getting them from out of state libraries (if i can get them at all...some don't circulate) but if I get anything else or any new books I'll let me know. Sounds like an interesting idea.

Josh

joshcampfield
10-13-2006, 16:30
Ok....for those of you waiting in anticipation (well, me and one other person)

I have the AT guide from the CT-NY state line to the Susquehanna. No idea on the date....it's at the Reading, PA public library marked in library use only, until November 10th.
I'll be stopping up there on Sunday to do some major photocopying.

Still waiting on the AT guide to Maine and the guide from the Susquehanna to Rockfish or so.

Josh

emerald
10-14-2006, 09:29
Ok....for those of you waiting in anticipation (well, me and one other person)

I have the AT guide from the CT-NY state line to the Susquehanna. No idea on the date....it's at the Reading, PA public library marked in library use only, until November 10th.
I'll be stopping up there on Sunday to do some major photocopying.

Still waiting on the AT guide to Maine and the guide from the Susquehanna to Rockfish or so.

Josh

Thank you, I look forward to seeing this guide book!:)