PDA

View Full Version : PocketMail

WhoAh
08-09-2006, 23:29
I'm planning on staying in touch with the family & friends using PocketMail. Anyone else looking at using one of these gizmos?

Smile
08-10-2006, 08:07
I have one, used it last year, terrific. Weighs 10.5 oz. including the drypack case - a luxury item. IMHO Nice to have a night when you want to record the details of the day that may be lost, and also to write down who you saw/passed hiking. Great way to keep up with a trailjournal as well - and you can use it off trail as well - no waiting for the computer in a hotel or cafe, email from any phone.

Not all hikers think the weight is worth it, but for me it was a fun addition to the whole experience , but on the other hand, at night alone in my tent with the glowing green-lit screen, it was like some sort of weird umbilical cord to the 'techno' world out there that sort of went against the grain of the whole backcountry experience.

So as with everything on a thru - to each their own!

StarLyte
08-10-2006, 08:28
Pocketmail is the next best thing since the cell phone. I am transcribing for a pct hiker right now, hardly any cell phone coverage from the trail so he uses it to send me the journals. It's great. I want one too, just waiting for the opportunity to REALLY being able to utilize it.

peanuts
08-10-2006, 10:16
StarLyte who are you transcribing for????

eArThworm
08-10-2006, 13:44
I'm planning on staying in touch with the family & friends using PocketMail. Anyone else looking at using one of these gizmos?
Yep, got one. Used it last year on a hike. Plan on using it next month hiking the Northville-Placid Trail. I love it. Allows email contact using phones when you're not around computers.

RITBlake
08-10-2006, 15:33
Can someone explain how a pocketmail actually communicates with the internet. Can it dial out itself, or does it require a cell phone or a pay phone to work?

RITBlake
08-10-2006, 15:34
I'm asking because I kept a hand written journal during my entire thru, but I'm finding it very time consuming to retype all of it on to the computer. Sometimes its hard to read my own hand writing and the journal jumps around a lot. Pocketmail would solve all this for me.

QHShowoman
08-10-2006, 16:01
It requires a phone connection to work. Basically, you hold pocketmail up to the receiver, dial the toll-free pocketmail #, and transmit the data.

Ewker
08-10-2006, 16:09
looks interesting. http://www.pocketmail.com/us/

Frosty
08-10-2006, 17:56
Yep, got one. Used it last year on a hike. Plan on using it next month hiking the Northville-Placid Trail. I love it. Allows email contact using phones when you're not around computers.Gonna give it another try, huh? When you going?

Jack Tarlin
08-10-2006, 17:57
Quick comment, as this one's been said before:

As PocketMail and similar devices become more popular, there've been significant problems with hikers tying up public telephones for unreasonable ammounts of time in order to transmit their mail, journal entries, etc. This has been a particular problem where pay phones are few and far between....Neels Gap, Fontana Dam, Hot Springs, etc.

If you are contemplating using one of these devices, please have consideration for others who may be needing to use the phone, especially when it's the only one for miles around. Your right to check your E-Mail or upgrade your trip journal doesn't transcend the right of someone else to call their wife, kids, whatever.

Keep your calls short from public phones, whether they're on the street, in a hostel, etc. If your calls are gonna be more than ten minutes at a time, and if people are liekely waiting to use the phone, do your business, including your PocketMail business, either late at night or better yet, from your own motel room.

Nobody has the right to monopolize a public phone merely because they're carrying cool gadgets.

Footslogger
08-10-2006, 18:03
That brings up a question, at least in my mind, since I don't own a Pocketmail thingee and have never used one ...

For anyone who has/used one ...on average, how long does it take to transmit a page or so of journal text or an average e-mail using Pocketmail ??

'Slogger

stumpknocker
08-10-2006, 19:13
I've used one now for several years and they work great for staying in touch with family and sending in journal entries to a transcriber to post for you.

Your family or friends can send you an email and you can recieve it any time you get to a phone....or you can send email.

Much nicer than waiting until you get to a computer.

They work quickly....usually one to three minutes.

It's been my experience that the nobo's tie up the phone much, much longer. :)

WhoAh
08-10-2006, 20:37
Quick comment, as this one's been said before:

If you are contemplating using one of these devices, please have consideration for others who may be needing to use the phone, especially when it's the only one for miles around. Your right to check your E-Mail or upgrade your trip journal doesn't transcend the right of someone else to call their wife, kids, whatever.

Good point, Jack. I've also been around users of these in the shelters while section hiking, and some people are not real wild about having someone typing their journal into one while they are trying to chill or get their heads around a wilderness experience.

So along with being courteous with the phones, be a little discreet or considerate of the other shelter-mates.

ivanputski
08-10-2006, 20:44
I found mine to be nice to have. Work off pay phone, cell phones and it's a toll free call so even hostel will let you make the call. 1-3 minutes is about right to transmit. Having said that I no longer have a use for it so if anyones looking to buy one let me know.

stumpknocker
08-11-2006, 05:29
I just read a couple replies to this thread and can't believe what Jack and WhoAh wrote.

Jack, my right to tie up a phone to check my email DOES transcend another hiker's right to call his family if I got to the phone first.

That's how I communicate with my family and friends.

That other hiker can wait until I'm done with the phone.

WhoAh, if I happen to be in a shelter and typing away on my Pocketmail and you don't like it, use those things called feet that brought you into the shelter in the first place and walk on somewhere else.

Holy smokes Batman, I guess there really are people out there that want to hike my hike for me.

frieden
08-11-2006, 08:11
Jack, my right to tie up a phone to check my email DOES transcend another hiker's right to call his family if I got to the phone first.

That other hiker can wait until I'm done with the phone.

WhoAh, if I happen to be in a shelter and typing away on my Pocketmail and you don't like it, use those things called feet that brought you into the shelter in the first place and walk on somewhere else.

I didn't know about Pocketmail, until this thread. It looks like a great way to communicate to family and friends. It would also be a quieter option, verses yappin' on the phone. We won't be staying in shelters, but I don't understand why someone would be upset about someone else quietly typing on a keyboard. If it's late, I could see where the light might get annoying.

I'd have to agree about the rights to the phone. I wouldn't hang for an hour on a pay phone, if people were waiting, but their right to communicate to family and friends doesn't override my right to do the same thing, even if I'm using technology instead of my voice. You do not have to become a doormat, in order to respect the rights of others.

Michele
08-11-2006, 08:56
Good point, Jack. I've also been around users of these in the shelters while section hiking, and some people are not real wild about having someone typing their journal into one while they are trying to chill or get their heads around a wilderness experience.

So along with being courteous with the phones, be a little discreet or considerate of the other shelter-mates.

My pocketmail has an option to turn that "clicky" sound OFF when using it, meaning the only other distraction I can think of would be the light from it? I can't see how it would at all be intrusive to someone else's wilderness experience, anymore than a headlamp, and headlamps are WAY brighter than the little green backlight on the Pocketmail. And whereas I've not started the service yet to see how long it takes, I also can't see how 1-3 minutes of transfer time in order to communicate with friends/family is any different than a 1-3 minute long conversation between 2 people, except I'll be communicating with a lot more than 1 person at a time, so that ultimately keeps me off the phone more.

I bought mine on ebay for 1/2 the price of it new...and I think it's going to be an essential part of my hike, because I have always been huge about sharing my experiences w/my family and friends. Also, if you choose to ditch the fancy little case for it and keep it in a plastic ziplock, then it only weighs 8.2 oz WITH the batteries. I'm also planning on keeping track of my expenses w/it too....seeing I (and I'm sure everyone can relate) am going to be on a very strict budget.

As for how it works, you can type emails and store them, then you go to any phone (not all cells work, but a few do from what I understand), and on the backside, there is a little round plastic receiver that you slide up and hold up to the telephone. You dial the 1-800#, and push the big button on the end that says "Send"...and there you have it. A very time efficient way to communicate with those people in your life that mean so much to you. It was my very first purchase for my hike.

Smile
08-11-2006, 09:55
YES! Turn the clicky setting off, but I have to agree with Stumpknocker as far as phone usage and who got there first goes....

I have waited a long time for a phone while somebody yapped to catch up with the past few days, when I had all my thoughts typed in and ready to go - it takes usually less than 2 minutes to send/receive, and I had probably an average of 5-6 incoming and the same outgoing each time, many of my outgoings were on the long side.

Either way, if everyone would have courtesy for one another - it will certainly come back to you in a positive way ;-)

QHShowoman
08-11-2006, 09:58
I'd have to agree about the rights to the phone. I wouldn't hang for an hour on a pay phone, if people were waiting, but their right to communicate to family and friends doesn't override my right to do the same thing, even if I'm using technology instead of my voice. You do not have to become a doormat, in order to respect the rights of others.

Well said. Tying up a public phone for 3-5 minutes while transmitting E-mail to all your friends/family takes up a hell of a lot less phone time than it would to call each person individually.

Jack Tarlin
08-11-2006, 14:53
Hey Stumpknocker, nobody's telling you how to hike your hike, OK?

All I said was that folks should try and be considerate of other hikers, and that they should be aware that other hikers also may need to use publuic facilities, such as phones, public access computers, etc. This is especially important when these services are rare in number or when lots of folks are obviously waiting.

Hogging these facilities and announcing that one's personal needs transcend the needs of other hikers is nothing less than selfish.

Re-read you post.

Nobody's telling you how to hike your hike.

But if this is your attitude towards your fellow hikers, people'd be perfectly justified in telling you to climb off your high horse. You say that your right to check your mail transcends another guy's right to talk to his family, and they can goddam wait til you're done.

Nice attitude. I'm sure it'll make you lots of friends.

And regarding your attitude towards consideration of others in shelters: Do you also think it's OK to come into a shelter at midnight; talk all night; play music loud enough for folks to overhear; scream at someone on your cell phone; and practice the harmonica at midnight? Should folks who object to any of this simply use their feet and hike on out?

Again, nice attitude.

You mentioned you couldn't believe what I'd written earlier. Well I for one can't believe that anyone with your experience on the Trail would be espousing such arrogant, inconsiderate, utterly selfish behavior.

But then again, I don't know you well.

Sly
08-11-2006, 15:04
I think Jack's down on Pocketmail and his post is quite baseless since it generally takes less time to up and download several emails than it takes to make a routine call. Also, no journaling in shelters? The light from a Pocketmail is less intrusive than the normal headlamp.

Of course all hikers should be considerate of others.

Lone Wolf
08-11-2006, 15:08
I agree with Stump. Pay phones are first come first served and if he or anyone else wants to use it for 5 minutes or an hour, that's thier right.

Jack Tarlin
08-11-2006, 15:10
Alright, see we got two thoughtless inconsiderate schmucks present and accounted for.

Anyone else?

Lone Wolf
08-11-2006, 15:11
Alright, see we got two thoughtless inconsiderate schmucks present and accounted for.

Anyone else?
Who the *** put you in charge of pay phones and shelters?

mingo
08-11-2006, 15:25
boys boys, calm down. rudeness here is totally uncalled for. you won't catch me being rude to anybody here.

StarLyte
08-11-2006, 15:31
Let them argue.
They have opinions. They are both good men.
See you both at the Gathering....somewhere shaking hands. :)

mweinstone
08-11-2006, 16:53
i dont know the exact type of device ill use but after watching bone pac use his to post at trail journels and the support and moral boost it generated,...i think i need to use one . my son would love me for it i assume. i felt guilty this year hiking without makeing notes or taking pics. i think one of those devices has a camera. my plan is to wait till february and buy one hoping to catch the newest model.
as a trail journel junky,.. ive made some observations.
pictures of people need to be close ups of there face.
pictures of places need to have something going on in the foreground.
pictures of blazes are allways pleasing.
posts cannot be mundane reporting of events. they need to be interpretations of events.with humor or a sense of struggle written in.
and identifing pictures of flowers and trees and plants and landmarks are important. i find mrs gorps pics to represent the AT best for me.and lion kings movies stand alone as far as im concerned. the other films do not represent hiking as well.

Sly
08-11-2006, 17:36
See you both at the Gathering....somewhere shaking hands. :)

Isn't there a pic of them kissing some where? Oh wait, that was LW kissing a Whiteblaze.

StarLyte
08-11-2006, 17:42
Isn't there a pic of them kissing some where? Oh wait, that was LW kissing a Whiteblaze.

Ummmm, nah, I won't go there. But Dino can. And she's real good at it. :rolleyes:

hopefulhiker
08-11-2006, 17:58
I started using one in Damascus last year and carried it the whole way. In answer to Baltimore Jack. It actually frees up time on a pay phone. It uses a toll free number so you dont have to dial in 16 numbers and it can "call" many people at one time. It has a little pop out acoustic coupler you hold up to the phone. You can pick up many emails at the same time but it doesn't "talk" back. One to three minutes is a reasonable time to contact 5 or 6 people. I found it to be a great morale booster. I kept a notepad in my front pack and looked forward to typing in entries in my pocket mail. Many people liked to follow my trail journal and my wife could just "cut and paste" my entries right to it.. I just used two zip locks for mine to save weight. I liked the backlight too. I did not carry a headlamp last year but could still make entries in the dark... To me the moral boost and the journal thing outweighed the transcendental meditate on nature thing. Plus I admit I love gadgets. I used to manage a Radio Shack......

frieden
08-11-2006, 20:32

Anyone else?

Me! Me! I'm not a door mat! I guess that makes me a schmuck too. I'm in the schmuck line! :banana

eArThworm
08-11-2006, 21:24
Gonna give it another try, huh? When you going?
Right after Labor Day. Gonna try the 1st 70 miles, not the whole thing.

The Old Fhart
08-11-2006, 22:27
Sly-"Isn't there a pic of them kissing some where? Oh wait, that was LW kissing a Whiteblaze."
That's one of my photos (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=2148&catid=searchresults&searchid=4483)!

SGT Rock
08-11-2006, 22:29
One of my favorites. Is that on the telephone pole at the end of his street in Damascus?

Alligator
08-11-2006, 22:40
One of my favorites. Is that on the telephone pole at the end of his street in Damascus?That photo gets discussed every so often. One time a ways back, the discussion came up about what photos had the most hits. I thought it would be funny to get the numbers up on that particular one, [in response to HH post #11, below thread] so I clicked it about 100 times. I remember TOF suddenly noticed it on his own.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=49160&highlight=kissing+wolf#post49160
:eek: ;) :D :banana .

karo
08-11-2006, 22:42
I found mine to be nice to have. Work off pay phone, cell phones and it's a toll free call so even hostel will let you make the call. 1-3 minutes is about right to transmit. Having said that I no longer have a use for it so if anyones looking to buy one let me know.
I might be interested, drop me a line at [email protected]

The Old Fhart
08-11-2006, 22:57
SGT Rock-"Is that on the telephone pole at the end of his street in Damascus?"
Alligator-"I thought it would be funny to get the numbers up on that particular one, [in response to HH post #11, below thread] so I clicked it about 100 times."I believe this was taken at Trail Days in the park but I'm not positive. As to adding to the hits, thanks, but I don't get paid by the click!:D

TOW
08-12-2006, 09:38

Anyone else?yeah, me..................i agree that it is okay to tie up a payphone until i'm finished.............if there are others waiting and i know it, i make it a point to get off the thing in a reasonable amount of time......i don't understand where you came from on your first post on this thread jack.............all the guy was saying was "look at this new thing and what it does, and you come on here scolding the guy.........."

TOW
08-12-2006, 09:38
boys boys, calm down. rudeness here is totally uncalled for. you won't catch me being rude to anybody here.me neither..........

StarLyte
08-12-2006, 10:12
That's one of my photos (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=2148&catid=searchresults&searchid=4483)!

Gosh I love that photo of him.

I have many photos of LW, but that one is a classic.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 12:35
Wolf, nobody put me in charge of anything, but hogging a public facility that lots of folks depend on is simply rude.

Would you take a one-hour shower at Miss Janet's or Kincora if you knew a dozen folks were waiting to use it? I don't think so. If you found a cooler by the Trail with a dozen cold drinks in it, and you knew there were folks right behind you, would you take them all? I don't think so. Would you spread your stuff all over three spots in a shelter depriving someone of a place to stay? Would it be cool to do this because you got there first? I don't think so.

Nor is it cool to be inconsiderate when using such things as pay phones, public access computers in libraries, etc.

It's ultimately a matter of courtesy and respect for one's fellow hikers.

Some people understand this and I guess some don't.

Skidsteer
08-12-2006, 13:43
Hell, the point is that it apparently only takes a few minutes to upload your pocketmail. If that's the case, what's the difference from using the phone for a conversation?

If I were in line behind folks I knew hadn't talked with family and friends for a while I wouldn't expect the conversation to be less than 5 minutes.

Courtesy and consideration works both ways.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 14:57
How long it takes or doesn't take to unload a Pocketmail is no longer the point.

A hiker made the statement that if he got to a phone first, his right to check him mail transcended anyone else's right to use that phone, and that since he got there first, he'd damn well stay on the line as long as he wished.

I made the observation that this was a singularly rude, selfish thing to do, and that I was even more surprised that such an attitude woulkd be held by an experienced, veteran hiker. This sort of ignorance is usually found in those new to the Trail, and not those who've been out there for awhile.

When dealing with public services that are few and far between, and when there are almost always other folks waiting to use them, the comment that other hikers "can wait until I'm done" is an extraordinarily self-centered, arrogant attitude to hold.

Skidster, please re-read my post above. Would you stay in a shower for an hour knowing other folks were waiting, or that hot water was limited? Would the attitutde that "The other hiker can wait til I'm done" be acceptable then?

I don't think so.

Courtesy only works both ways if both parties agree to be courteous.

When one party feels no need to be courteous, it is indeed a one-way street.

stumpknocker
08-12-2006, 16:19
Jack, tell me what's arrogant about using my Pocketmail at a phone.

If a hiker comes up and wants to use the phone, should I hang up and try again later??

All I want to do is check my email and send my email on my Pocketmail.

Is it arrogant for me to type on my Pocketmail?? :-?

If that bothers you....use your feet and go somewhere else.

You even cussed for me on one of your posts when you said and I quote;

****"You say that your right to check your mail transcends another guy's right to talk to his family, and they can goddam wait til you're done."****

At least if you feel the need to speak for me, clean up what you say because I wouldn't cuss on a public forum.

Here's what I actually said;

****"Jack, my right to tie up a phone to check my email DOES transcend another hiker's right to call his family if I got to the phone first.

That other hiker can wait until I'm done with the phone."****

And I still stand by that.

Oh yeah......I really appreciate you calling me a schmuck, but I'll stick with my trailname of Stumpknocker. :)

An apology????.......because now my feelings are hurt. ;)

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 16:24
Stump, untwist your knickers.

You weren't mis-quoted.

You said your rights transcended the right of others, and folks can wait til you're done.

You can stand by your attitude, I'll stand by mine.

Any hiker that ever says, for any reason, that their "rights" are more important than anyone else's, needs to deflate their head a bit.

TOW
08-12-2006, 16:27
Gosh I love that photo of him.

I have many photos of LW, but that one is a classic.you just love LW, just admit it.............

StarLyte
08-12-2006, 17:16
you just love LW, just admit it.............

and thank you for taking us back to Lone Wolf here Only Wanderer....how dare Stumpy and Ol Jackie Boy take our stage away......even if the thread was about pocketmail........

Yes I love Lone Wolf. I love Gypsy too.

I love Stump and Jack too but they're too busy to notice ;)

Hell I love everybody even Matthewski.

stumpknocker
08-12-2006, 17:32
You DID mis-quote me and you're DOING it again.

You said and I quote;

****You said your rights transcended the right of others, and folks can wait til you're done.****

Again, would you like me to hang up in the middle of my call if another hiker walks up and wants to use the phone without a Pocketmail???

Here's what I actually said.....read slowly.........

****"Jack, my right to tie up a phone to check my email DOES transcend another hiker's right to call his family if I got to the phone first.

That other hiker can wait until I'm done with the phone."****

I'm still waiting for an apology because my feelings are still hurt......Ha!!! ;)

OK, gotta go check out the Lone Wolf photo........:-?

Skidsteer
08-12-2006, 17:42
Skidster, please re-read my post above. Would you stay in a shower for an hour knowing other folks were waiting, or that hot water was limited? Would the attitutde that "The other hiker can wait til I'm done" be acceptable then?

I don't think so.

You're right Jack, I wouldn't. But I wouldn't drop everything and run out of the shower with soap in my eyes if somebody suddenly appeared in line behind me and that appears to be Stumpknocker's point.

I doubt the issue would ever come up between you two on the trail. By all accounts you both are courteous individuals.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 18:00
We can do this all day long, Stump, but it's getting old.

You said your rights transcend the rights of others and that if you got to the phone first, you could spend as much time on it (doing your Mail or whatever) and that the rest of the world can damn well wait til you're done.

If you don't wanna have to spend so much time explaining or rationalizing arrogant, selfish, self-centered, comments, well, there's a simple remedy:

Don't say them.

But don't make 'em and then whine about being mis-interpreted.

What you said was quite clear: Your needs transcend the needs of others.

Thanks for letting us know.

stumpknocker
08-12-2006, 18:36
You mis-quoted me again.

Well, this arrogant, selfish, self-centered individual is out of here.

Too bad The King Of Arrogance is still going to be on White Blaze.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 18:56
You were quoted perfectly. Several times, in fact.

But if you wanna leave, by all means go.

Geez, Stump. All I said was that hikers should be considerate of others when using public services that everyone depends on, especially when folks are waiting to use them.

I'm sorry this simple suggestion is such a difficult concept for you to grasp. To most people, it's called "common courtesy." Evidently, you were absent from charm school the day they were teaching this one.

But believe it or not, Stump, courtesy and consideration is something most of us learned as small children.

Too bad at 53, you still don't get it.

Sly
08-12-2006, 19:03
The only thing I can think of is, somehow, someone with a Pocketmail caused Jack to miss his shuttle! :rolleyes:

TOW
08-12-2006, 19:36
and thank you for taking us back to Lone Wolf here Only Wanderer....how dare Stumpy and Ol Jackie Boy take our stage away......even if the thread was about pocketmail........

Yes I love Lone Wolf. I love Gypsy too.

I love Stump and Jack too but they're too busy to notice ;)

Hell I love everybody even Matthewski.watch out guys, she's on a role.................!

stumpknocker
08-13-2006, 00:25
Nope, guess not.

Hey Jack, here's a quote from you talking about me and I AM quoting what you said about me:

****"You were quoted perfectly. Several times, in fact."****

I say you never once quoted what I said, much less several times. If you did, show me.

If you want to quote me, then quote me....don't twist things around to fit in that arrogant mind of yours.

I'll check back in a day or two to see if your arrogance persists.

The Old Fhart
08-13-2006, 08:29
*Waiting to use the payphone-time consuming
*Others telling me to get off the payphone - annoying
*Waiting to get the payphone again- pain in the butt
*Talking as long as I want on my cell with unlimited anytime minutes- PRICELESS:D :D :D

TOW
08-13-2006, 08:39
That's it! I'm going to go back to using my own ham station when I go out for a hike!

Smile
08-13-2006, 08:40
But believe it or not, Stump, courtesy and consideration is something most of us learned as small children. Too bad at 53, you still don't get it.

This is not a kind thing, nor courtous or considerate to say to Stumpknocker, you two obviously disagree, so how about agreeing to disagree?

I do not think he is inconsiderate or discourteous - perhaps you can both see some good in each other somewhere ;-)

As for people learning this as small children, it seems that there is another thread that was started about the hiker "Poisoning the Well" that says different, as well as MANY others.

I think the point of the thread was to discuss PocketMail and whether anybody else was considering using them on trail next year - some will and some won't - just like many of the payphones along the way....some work and some just don't.

;-)

The Old Fhart
08-13-2006, 09:01
The Only Wandering-"That's it! I'm going to go back to using my own ham station when I go out for a hike!"For less weight than a 2M HT you can carry a full featured PDA with WiFi card and have complete internet service. On our last trip to Trail Days we used the WiFi connection while in the Doyle, near the Waynesboro Public Library, and in Dave's Place in Damascus so it is getting more and more common.

stumpknocker
08-13-2006, 09:01
Thanks for the kind words, "Smile". :)

Hey "The Only Wanderer"......You might want to call that "ham station" by another name. You just might get lots of hungry hikers showing up. :)

Maybe I'll gett a cell phone just like "The Old Fhart's". Yeah, that's a good idea. :-?

Hey "Old Fhart", what's a good cell phone for the trail??? :rolleyes:

The Old Fhart
08-13-2006, 09:07
The Only Wanderer -I appologize for butchering your name in my previous post. I didn't use cut-and-past 'cause I said: "I can type 3 word without screwing up." Apparently not!:o

Smile
08-13-2006, 18:06
I'm sure as time passes and technology becomes smaller, lighter and easier to access there will be several options - embraced or not - to keep in touch with family.

;-)

TOW
08-13-2006, 18:56
The Only Wanderer -I appologize for butchering your name in my previous post. I didn't use cut-and-past 'cause I said: "I can type 3 word without screwing up." Apparently not!:oi didn't even notice...........:confused:

HapKiDo
08-13-2006, 19:04
Too many electronics weigh down the pack. GPS, Cell Phone, Pocketmail, iPod, Radio, Digital Camera, Digi-Movie Camera, Notebook and I guess someone will carry a television.

Is there a place for pocketmail in a wilderness setting?

Is there a place for wilderness in a pocketmail setting?

Just how many gadgets on the Trail are too many gadgets on the Trail?

2007 should be an interesting year.

HapKiDo :cool:

Sly
08-13-2006, 19:10
For less weight than a 2M HT you can carry a full featured PDA with WiFi card and have complete internet service. On our last trip to Trail Days we used the WiFi connection while in the Doyle, near the Waynesboro Public Library, and in Dave's Place in Damascus so it is getting more and more common.
Old Phart, if you ever make it to Black Mountain (better hurry up, I'm moving soon), you can use my wireless. SSID "Hikertrash"! Can you handle WPA encryption?

What's a 2M HT anyway? How much for a decent PDA with wireless?

For those that have the PDA's or bump laptops, Ron Haven in Franklin recently got wireless for his motels....

Sly
08-13-2006, 19:16
Pockemail is one gadget. Paper, pen, envelopes, stamps, loose change, calling card? You do the math.

Smile
08-13-2006, 19:25
You got that part right Sly, it sure does add up to more weight. Every hiker has some sort of 'gadget' that somebody else wouldn't be caught carrying ;-)

Sly
08-13-2006, 19:32
I used a Pocketmail before, they're great for staying in touch with lots of friends and family. One 800 number and you can send out a group email or even post to a blog or journal in less time than most talk on the phone.

StarLyte
08-13-2006, 19:53
The Only Wanderer -I appologize for butchering your name in my previous post. I didn't use cut-and-past 'cause I said: "I can type 3 word without screwing up." Apparently not!:o

Hey Old Fhart!!! You butchered this entire paragraph! ha ha But you take pretty darn nice photos---so we'll overlook it. Just don't post another one of those bare butt cheek photos again :o

StarLyte
08-13-2006, 20:23
Too many electronics weigh down the pack. GPS, Cell Phone, Pocketmail, iPod, Radio, Digital Camera, Digi-Movie Camera, Notebook and I guess someone will carry a television.

Is there a place for pocketmail in a wilderness setting?

Is there a place for wilderness in a pocketmail setting?

2007 should be an interesting year.

HapKiDo :cool:

Very good point HapKiDo !! However... I love getting email from hikers via pocketmail. It holds more characters than a text message does from a cell. As for myself, I only carry a cell phone, a phone card and a tiny radio with earphones to block out the sounds of mice crawling :D I suppose if I ever decide to thru, I might go with a pocketmail.

I wonder what Bill Bryson would carry.

Smile
08-13-2006, 22:00
My guess? A G5 :eek:

The Old Fhart
08-13-2006, 23:11
StarLyte-"Just don't post another one of those bare butt cheek photos again:o "I'd like to point out to those who haven't seen the photo you're referring to in the Whiteblaze gallery is that it could be worse- the cheeks in contention could have be mine!:eek:

Sly
08-13-2006, 23:38
Can we do a multiple choice/category poll?

Electronics on the trail?

Trail/town:

flashlight
watch
altimeter
radio/mp3
camera
digicam
pocketmail
PDA
cellphone
laptop
charger
disk burner
GPS

other (explain)

highway
09-01-2006, 07:30
In spite of the useless drivel and senseless static to the contrary about pocketmail on this thread, I have decided to go with one when I start in April '07. I have always kept a hand written journal on my hikes but not always done so promptly, sometimes waiting for days until I encountered a comfortable and apropriate moment to update my little book, and then finding i had forgotten to much of what i wanted to remember. I hope pocketmail will at least help me to overcome that little obstacle. I seem to have become much more comfortable writing by gently pushing in these little black keys on a keyboard, rather than a pen across paper. I'll just have to stop sooner to do it, I suspect.

stumpknocker
09-01-2006, 09:38
I seem to have become much more comfortable writing by gently pushing in these little black keys on a keyboard, rather than a pen across paper. I'll just have to stop sooner to do it, I suspect.

Highway, the last thing I do each day is write my journal. I often walk till 8 or 9pm and I just lay in my tent with my headlamp on it's low setting and write. It usually takes me an hour or so to write all my thoughts for the day. I find it's a great way to wind down. I also enjoy listening to the sounds of the night for that hour. I love hearing owls, loons or the small critters dashing around in the leaves outside my tent. :) Those are usually the only sounds I hear because I stealth tent almost always.

I don't use the backlight on the pocketmail because I've had friends that told me it uses up the batteries too fast.

I use the lithium batteries and they last me about 3 months...and I use that little device everyday.

Sly
09-01-2006, 09:52
Stumpknocker, I know my old Sharp TM-20 was limited to 5000 characters without a countdown and some of my emails were cut-off. Is this still the case with the newer models?

Alligator
09-01-2006, 10:03
In spite of the useless drivel and senseless static to the contrary about pocketmail on this thread, I have decided to go with one when I start in April '07. I have always kept a hand written journal on my hikes but not always done so promptly, sometimes waiting for days until I encountered a comfortable and apropriate moment to update my little book, and then finding i had forgotten to much of what i wanted to remember. I hope pocketmail will at least help me to overcome that little obstacle. I seem to have become much more comfortable writing by gently pushing in these little black keys on a keyboard, rather than a pen across paper. I'll just have to stop sooner to do it, I suspect.
Another option is a voice recorder, these are common on digital cameras and MP3 players.

stumpknocker
09-01-2006, 10:05
Stumpknocker, I know my old Sharp TM-20 was limited to 5000 characters without a countdown and some of my emails were cut-off. Is this still the case with the newer models?

Yeah, but if I'm that long winded with my journal, I just send another email.....part 2. :) It happens!!!

Also, I just download the headers of incoming email. That way I don't stand at the phone downloading a "forward" that someone sends. Those can take 4 or 5 pages to download with all the "computer talk" that comes with them. I always delete forwards anyway without reading them.

I then pick the "real" emails that I want to read and retrieve them. That also keeps me from downloading spam. I get lots of Viagra spam....hummmm. :confused:

Sly
09-01-2006, 10:12
Another option is a voice recorder, these are common on digital cameras and MP3 players.

I think a voice recorder would work great for taking notes during the day. When I did journal, which wasn't very often, I sometimes took hand written notes in order to remember the events of the day.

Sounds like a good excuse to get a MP3 player also!

Alligator
09-01-2006, 10:26
I think a voice recorder would work great for taking notes during the day. When I did journal, which wasn't very often, I sometimes took hand written notes in order to remember the events of the day.

Sounds like a good excuse to get a MP3 player also!It would seem an easier way to overcome the reluctance to break out the pen and paper and a quick way to record information. I haven't been able to do this either though:o.

Footslogger
09-01-2006, 10:30
It would seem an easier way to overcome the reluctance to break out the pen and paper and a quick way to record information. I haven't been able to do this either though:o.
==============================

Plus the small digital voice recorders are very small and light. The MP3 I carry (Creative Zen) is about the size of a bic lighter and uses a single AAA battery. Holds 1 Mbyte of data and has a voice recording feature.

'Slogger

stumpknocker
09-01-2006, 10:32

Sounds like a good excuse to get a MP3 player also!

My "good" memory for the trail names of those I mention in my journal is called a Sony Digital Recorder. :) It's very small and easy to use.

Since I've been off trail for a few weeks, I was convinced to get an MP3 player. I got one that also has an FM reciever, so I've replaced my heavy little Radio Shack radio with that MP3 player.....saved weight and volume and have more options for music if I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep for a while. I love gadgets!!! :)

Pacific Tortuga
09-02-2006, 14:33
Has anyone used a Sharp TM-20 style pocket mailer. What are the differences,cost,durability + or - ? I'll be ordering one or the other soon ,thanks.

Pacific Tortuga
09-02-2006, 14:34
Has anyone used a Sharp TM-20 style pocket mailer. What are the differences,cost,durability + or - ? I'll be ordering one or the other soon ,thanks. sorry, tried to delete this one