PDA

View Full Version : Frieden, Amigi....re: Florida Gathering

Gray Blazer
08-10-2006, 12:05
:sun :sun Guys/Dolls.....is the FL gathering still on for the last weekend of this month-aug26/27 at Alexander Springs? People want to know....Let's keep this out there if it's still happening. JJ :sun :sun

Amigi'sLastStand
08-10-2006, 12:25
:sun :sun Guys/Dolls.....is the FL gathering still on for the last weekend of this month-aug26/27 at Alexander Springs? People want to know....Let's keep this out there if it's still happening. JJ :sun :sun
Yep, we're still on. I was gonna post something up tommororow, but you beat me to it, GB.

Dates: Aug 25 - 27
Alexander Springs - C Loop
Ocala National Forest
I need a count of who's going by Aug 18. This does not mean that you cant go if you make a last minute decision, but it helps me plan it out better. I will be there Friday the 25th and while I cant pay to reserve the spots, the rangers are real helpful and wont put anyody in our spots unless they have to.
If you have a larger tent, please bring it. If you dont, let me know. It's four ppl per site, but only two tents/hammocks. So, if you need to save some cash, like me, it will be cheaper if we buddy up if you arent already coming with someone. I have a 16x10 tent, so if some one only has a hammock or 1 man, then you are more than welcome to stay with me.
Each site has two tent spots, a grill, and a fire ring.
Anyone have any questions, let me know.

Gray Blazer
08-10-2006, 12:33
I'll be there early on Saturday for sure. I'm just staying for the day, so don't reserve anything for me. Thank you.

Gray Blazer
08-10-2006, 12:35
P.S. Is it true that one of the activities includes a hike to the summit of Mt. Dora?:rolleyes:

Amigi'sLastStand
08-10-2006, 13:12
P.S. Is it true that one of the activities includes a hike to the summit of Mt. Dora?:rolleyes:
Yes, we will be summitting Mt Dora. If you have crampons, bring em with you. Even in August, the snow and ice can get pretty bad.
Mt Dora is part of Fl's only mountain range. It is part of the Appalachian chain that broke off around 50 mil years ago. It's even been called the Rockie's of the East. So, if you dont have any mountain climbing skills, we can tie you to us and drag you up. Elevation is around 12,000 feet. Bring a change of winter clothes for the ascent.

Gray Blazer
08-10-2006, 13:28
Yes, we will be summitting Mt Dora. If you have crampons, bring em with you. Even in August, the snow and ice can get pretty bad.
Mt Dora is part of Fl's only mountain range. It is part of the Appalachian chain that broke off around 50 mil years ago. It's even been called the Rockie's of the East. So, if you dont have any mountain climbing skills, we can tie you to us and drag you up. Elevation is around 12,000 feet. Bring a change of winter clothes for the ascent.

LOL;):rolleyes: Very Funny!

frieden
08-10-2006, 15:53
Man, I needed that laugh today!

This is the last gathering I'll be able to make on the east coast for awhile, so looking forward to it! My daughter and her husband will be here on leave then, and I asked them to come with. My daughter acted like I was nuts - what? camp out in the field on leave? I guess they do that all the time, so it isn't exactly something they want to do on vacation. Supposedly, there are 2-3 hikers coming from Tampa. I doubt I'll get any confirmation from them. They'll just show up. Ed and I will be there Fri - Sun, but we'll bring our own tent. How do we make a reservation? Luckily, my gear boxes are clearly marked "GEAR", so I know where my float bags are. I haven't had the money to buy a bag yet, so no laughing at my sleeping bag! If you need me to bring anything, just let me know. See ya'll there!

Amigi'sLastStand
08-10-2006, 16:04
No reservations available without $$$ and a letterhead of your group. I suppose I could make one up, Mt Dora Mountaineering Club. That would be funny.

frieden
08-10-2006, 16:10
No reservations available without $$$ and a letterhead of your group. I suppose I could make one up, Mt Dora Mountaineering Club. That would be funny.

:D Hehehehe! Yeah, I guess letterhead wouldn't be a problem, but how much $$$ is "$$$"?

Amigi'sLastStand
08-11-2006, 05:48
I dont think we're gonna have enough to worry about reservations anyway. Not that many ppl are gonna be camping in FL in Aug. I am super-psyched about this, and hope everyone makes it.