PDA

View Full Version : Shaved 15 lbs

buckhead
08-10-2006, 18:05
I just finished packing for a 4 days and 3 nights trip. I was able to shave 16 lbs off of my last pack weight. The last time I went it was for two nights and my pack was 54 lbs. Now it's 38. I am even carrying a camera and other luxury items this time. Plus, I am carrying rain gear and pack cover.

Now to go lower I will have to lose the comfort factor.

If I stayed in shelters I could lose the tent, drop cloth and chair. That would be another 6 pounds.

Terraducky
08-10-2006, 18:17
What did you do to accomplish this?

buckhead
08-10-2006, 18:36
New or different items:
Chair, tent, drop cloth, cook system and sleeping pad.

Removed items:
Hammock and misc. items that I never used.

Items not carrying:
Fleece jacket, fleece Pants, steak, baked potato and other heavy foods.

Items added:
Camera, rain gear and all dehydrated food.

bigcranky
08-10-2006, 20:11
Even if you plan to stay in shelters, you'll still need the tent (or at least a tarp). Shelters can be full, you might not make it all the way to the shelter, or you might decide you want to hike a couple more miles after dinner. You might be very uncomfortable with another person in the shelter, and want to move on. In short, while shelters can be nice, you shouldn't count on them to the extent that you don't bring your own.

Other than that, congrats on dropping the 15 pounds. And don't think that you have to give up comfort to get lower than that. You may have to redefine your comfort level on some things, but it's possible to be quite comfortable and happy with much less and lighter gear. It's just a learning curve, and everyone takes it at their own speed.

Good luck.

dloome
08-10-2006, 21:26
38 pounds? For 4 days? Keep trimming...

I'm an @$$hole, I know.

Fiddler
08-10-2006, 21:30
New or different items:
Chair, tent, drop cloth, cook system and sleeping pad.

Chair?????

DawnTreader
08-10-2006, 21:41
16 pounds!! fantastic..
your knees will thank you..

Terraducky
08-10-2006, 21:54
Everytime I go out I wonder how to shave off the pack-pounds. I am toting somewhere around 35 lbs. for a long weekend. I am new at this, so I read all these hiker journals for hints at lightening up...I guess if I had a load of money for ultra-light stuff I could do it. Other than that, I try and take only important stuff. Still, I can't think of what I might do without!

SGT Rock
08-10-2006, 22:00
You could always post a packing list with weights. It is amazing what cool ideas other people can come up with.

Also, check out articles like the Dirt Bagging and Deal shopping or threads like the $300 challenge.

Terraducky
08-10-2006, 22:09
You are right... posting a packing list is the place to start. Meanwhile, I will look into "dirtbagging"-? I already made a sodacan stove and am pleased to join the ranks of "trail trash"...this is the most fun I've had in years! What took me so long?

SGT Rock
08-10-2006, 22:17
Probably standard stuff: past bad advice, bad upbringing, corporate influence, and low education standards :D

Just Jeff
08-10-2006, 22:21
In short, while shelters can be nice, you shouldn't count on them to the extent that you don't bring your own.

I'll go one step further - it's downright dangerous to hike without a shelter (for the reasons you mentioned). It's one of ten essentials.

buckhead
08-10-2006, 23:03
Bleach,

I don't know you well enough to know if you are an @$$hole or not. But, everyone can have an opinion. I don't want to get carried away with the ultra-light thing. I don't get enough exercise, as it is, so a few extra pack pounds won't kill me. I think I am light enough, for now, for a 4 day trip. I was 54-56 on a two-day trip. Carrying steaks, potatoes, shrimp and whatever I wanted. If I were trying to do 100 miles in 4 days I would be a lot lighter.

Fiddler,

Yes a chair. I have a 20-oz aluminum-folding chair. I carry it every time. I would leave my tent at home before I would leave my chair. I was not meant to sit on the ground. If I sat on the ground while in camp I probably would not be able to hike the next day. It’s a simple choice for me.

Dawn Treader,

Thanks. I really needed to drop a few pounds of pack weight. BTW - I also lost 25lbs of body weight since the last time I went backpacking which was last December.

Big Cranky,

I would never go out without some kind of shelter. At least a tarp and rain suit. I do not like shelters. So, I never stay in them. I can not sleep on a platform with a bunch of people rolling around and farting on each other all night. When it comes time to go to sleep, I will find a nice quiet place to lay.

Just Jeff,

You are right! You win a prize, not really. It's true; a human doesn't have enough hair to provide it’s own independent shelter. Well, some of us anyway. Needing shelter is a given whether on the trail or off.

Just Jeff
08-11-2006, 00:51
...I also lost 25lbs of body weight since the last time I went backpacking which was last December...

Best way to take weight off your knees...

...I can not sleep on a platform with a bunch of people rolling around and farting on each other all night....

I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there.

I'm kinda miffed about the prize, though. I thought I'd at least get a stupid dancing banana. I LOVE those things.

River Runner
08-11-2006, 01:29
If you want to go a little lighter, you could consider trading the tent and the chair for a hammock sleeping system, which can be both a shelter and a place to sit. You don't need a drop cloth then either, and depending on night time temperatures you either might not need a sleeping pad or could get by with a thinner, lighter one.

tarbender
08-11-2006, 03:25
Great start man. Keep it up. There is a lot of room for impovement if you are interested. If you are really interested in dropping weight you can post a gear list and solicit weight trimming solutions. I think you can still trim several pounds and be rather comfortable. I dig the chair idea and have been considering packing one once I get my pack weight down a bit. Nothing would beat the looks I would get chilling in a lawn chair on a mountain. I to enjoy my luxury items.

buckhead
08-11-2006, 11:30
Okay Just Jeff here is you prize. :banana:banana:banana

River Runner,

I have tried the hammock in the past. Worked pretty well. I have a touch of acid reflux now and I need to sleep on my side. The hammock doesn't seem very well suited for side sleepers.

Tarbender,

Thanks. I will be looking for ways in the future to reduce the weight. I am going to try and slip a couple pounds into my buddies pack tomorrow.:D

Just Jeff
08-11-2006, 11:52
I actually hate those damn bananas, but it's the thought that counts. :D

I sleep on my side at least as often as my back in my hammocks.

Alligator
08-11-2006, 12:51
Great work on losing the weight in all areas Buckhead.

You might be able to go lighter with a T-rest chair. Depends on what you're using for a sleeping pad.

I've got my summer pack weight w/o food and water at 17lbs. Food and water would drive that up to about 26-27 lbs. That includes a Prolite 4, T-rest chair, and adult beverages. Not ultralight, but any further loses aren't really necessary. I'm pretty happy with the current balance.

buckhead
08-11-2006, 12:59
Cha Cha Boom! Cha cha boom! Cha cha boom! They are three dead bananas now!

buckhead
08-11-2006, 13:01
Anyone have a quart of ice cream and some chocolate to go with the three dead bananas?

jlb2012
08-11-2006, 13:04
don't forget the cherries and whipped cream and sprinkles

buckhead
08-11-2006, 13:27
That's right! Got to have sprinkles!

chicote
08-11-2006, 13:38
Might as well fry up the bananas to boot !

fredmugs
08-11-2006, 15:58
Concur with sleeping on your side in the hammock. About the only thing you can't do is sleep on your belly. I did a 150 hike in 7 days in June and my pack weighed 20 pounds without water. Of course I am perfectly happy eating freeze dried meals. For other food I eat MetRx meal replacement bars, granola bars, and cajun trail mix from Wal Mart. I'm sure I could shave a couple of pounds off of that too.

I have a Go Lite pack that weighs 15 ounces, a Hennessy Hammock (2.5 lbs?), and a 1.5 pound sleeping bag. I carry 2 1-liter water bottles, a filter, a fuel bottle, and the lightest weight MSR stove.

For clothing I bring lightweight rain gear, a light sweatshirt, one change of clothing, and 3 pairs of socks/liners.

I really don't bring any creature comforts other than something good to read.

One of the rules that my hiking group has is "You don't need as much underwear as you think." This probably holds true for other "just in case" items that we all bring and never use - like my hunting knife!

RadioFreq
08-11-2006, 17:01
Anyone have a quart of ice cream and some chocolate to go with the three dead bananas?

Forget the hunka hunka ice cream, just pass the peanut butter. :D

dustin
08-28-2006, 18:43
The Kifaru field chair is only 10 oz. Might be worth looking into if you insist on taking a chair.

http://www.kifaru.net/MG_fieldchr.htm

Skidsteer
08-28-2006, 19:08
The Kifaru field chair is only 10 oz. Might be worth looking into if you insist on taking a chair.

http://www.kifaru.net/MG_fieldchr.htm

You know... it wouldn't be too hard to rig that up with a collapsed trekking pole and save the weight of the support leg. :-?

hikerjohnd
08-28-2006, 19:35
You know... it wouldn't be too hard to rig that up with a collapsed trekking pole and save the weight of the support leg. :-?

Whoa - I was just thinking that and I had not even read your post yet... Great minds!

dustin
08-29-2006, 02:06
though i dont typically carry a chair around, thats a damn good idea

Just Jeff
08-29-2006, 02:17
Collapsible poles aren't made to hold that much weight, so you'd have to do some rigging. But if you hike with two poles, you only have to add one more leg and the seat...that's not much of a weight penalty for the convenience of a chair.

I'm interested to see what y'all come up with!

titanium_hiker
11-13-2006, 05:15
[quote=fredmugs]"You don't need as much underwear as you think."[/quotes]
:gasp: how true is that! It was something mother always emphathises- "have you got enough pairs of underwear?"

TH

Two Speed
11-13-2006, 06:35
I was able to shave 16 lbs
. . . it's downright dangerous to hike without a shelter . . .
. . . I thought I'd at least get a stupid dancing banana. I LOVE those things.JJ, it's painfully obvious that the reason you didn't get the dancing banana on the first attempt is because you failed to point out that if buckhead hadn't shaved 16 lbs of hair he wouldn't need a shelter. Then, to make matters worse you indulged in some of the worst yogiing I've seen since I gave it a shot. You really should be embarrassed. I know I am.

All kidding around aside, congrats to buckhead. Keep it up and there'll be a kludos in your future.

Jaybird
11-13-2006, 07:23
I just finished packing for a 4 days and 3 nights trip. I was able to shave 16 lbs off of my last pack weight. The last time I went it was for two nights and my pack was 54 lbs. Now it's 38. .......etc,etc,etc,.........................If I stayed in shelters I could lose the tent, drop cloth and chair. That would be another 6 pounds.

My God!

54LBS! WOW! i thought you were about to embark on a month-long hike...
38 is better but.....you could get lighter!

i go out for 14 day section hike on the A.T. each year....this year i was down to 32 lbs...

in 2007 i hope to be about 27lbs....:D

otterman
11-13-2006, 08:47
Cha Cha Boom! Cha cha boom! Cha cha boom! They are three dead bananas now!

...but they reproduce so quickly!

:banana :banana :banana :banana

Jim Adams
11-13-2006, 08:56
i don't buy into the total ultralite thing. i buy what works. i use a sil tarp instead of a tent, 0* bag, pocket rocket,etc. everything i need to thru and 4 days food, 1 liter water and a flask of whiskey--24lbs. don't use your bank account, read as much as possible, look at weights and use your head. sure i could get 7 or 8 pounds less quickly with $500 of lighter gear but 24lbs is light enough and $500 is 1-2 months of hiking expense.
geek

aroth87
11-14-2006, 14:22
Jim-
I'm not 'buying' into ultralight either. I used a pocket rocket too, but switched to an alcohol stove that I made out of soda cans I already had. I could pay $300 for a down quilt, but I'm sewing my own instead for just over $100. I could have paid $120 for a silnylon tarp and another $130 for my solo spinnaker one, but I searched around and found someone that sold both to me for $100 total (including the Ti stakes). My point it you don't have to pay the big bucks to lose a lot of pounds off your back. For a just over $200 I saved 8 lbs. In some ways UL is a little cheaper, you don't bring as much stuff with you so you don't have as much to buy.
I can see where you're coming from though, if you are happy with the weight you are carrying there's no reason to change it just because someone else is happy with a lighter pack. I'd be happy with a 9 lbs base weigh, while some people are happy with a 5 lbs base. As always, HYOH. Don't let the opinions of others sway you (too much at least ;)) to the point where you are doing something just because so-and-so does it and says it the only way to go.

Adam

hammock engineer
11-14-2006, 14:38
I'm with you guys on the not super ultralight thing. I am close to 20 lbs sans food/fuel/water. That is light enough for me.

HikeLite
11-19-2006, 18:12
Shaved to 15 pounds? Damn you musta been hairy.

Maddog
07-02-2012, 03:49
38 pounds? For 4 days? Keep trimming...

I'm an @$$hole, I know.
+1 on "keep trimming"! I just got back from a 4 day hike in the Cohutta Wilderness...Jack's River Trail...and my total pack weight was 16lbs! Maddog:)