PDA

View Full Version : about how to carry a platypus

ncmtns
08-11-2006, 10:22
So do you put your water bag mouth down or mouth up? Which is best? thanx

Footslogger
08-11-2006, 10:28
Actually ...mine lays horizontal (more or less) across the top of my pack, under the pack lid.

That said, in order for the Platy to work when oriented vertically I would say that the hose end would need to face downward.

'Slogger

Alligator
08-11-2006, 10:36
I put the hose end down. If it is facing up, occasionally the bladder bends and flow gets restricted. I'd prefer to have it facing up so that any air can be easily drawn out, but I get aggravated when the flow stops so I just make sure to remove the air out of the bladder completely when refilling. Also, I make sure everything is screwed in right because for me this the most common reason for leakage: loose top or misaligned elbow.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-11-2006, 10:55
Actually ...mine lays horizontal (more or less) across the top of my pack, under the pack lid.

That said, in order for the Platy to work when oriented vertically I would say that the hose end would need to face downward.

'Slogger
Yup, that's how I carry mine. No clogs or leaks, just vent out the air before you pack it away.

DonQuixote
08-11-2006, 12:18
I would think it a bad idea to try and carry a live mammal in your pack. Especially when said mammal has a venomous spur on its foot. Also, I'm sure it is illegal to transport from Austrailia to America without a permit.

Just my thoughts...

opqdan
08-11-2006, 12:19
It wouldn't really work well if it were placed tube up, as the water would try to settle at the bottom of the bag. This would cause the bag to collapse at the top and eventually restrict the flow. By putting the outlet on the bottom, you guarantee that you will always be able to access the water.

Placing it sideways would work too, unless the bag were bent over another object in your pack. Then you would risk splitting the water into 2 sections, with the bag collapsed between them. You would have to **** the bag to get the rest of the water.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-11-2006, 13:56
You would have to **** the bag to get the rest of the water.

You have to fu*k the bag to the get the rest of the water? No one told me that at the A/N store!:eek:

Actually, plats work fine in any position. Once you vent the air it becomes a vacuum and the water is displaced evenly. The only problems occurs if you get air in it from a weak mouth valve. My day pack has a built in CamelBak with the hose out of the top. As long as the air is vented, it works just fine.

orangebug
08-11-2006, 14:15
I would think it a bad idea to try and carry a live mammal in your pack. Especially when said mammal has a venomous spur on its foot.That is true, but when left on its side, you at least create a nice nest for it to lays it's eggs. I'd be sure to close the main chamber of the pack well, to avoid damage to gear should it decide to burrow and hide in there.

Newb
08-11-2006, 16:09
I'd grab it by the tail. Lookout, though, they're poisonous.

mweinstone
08-11-2006, 17:03
i use a 6 litre dromelite with no tube. i dont carry a canteen at all. i lay the water bag on the inside top under the top pocket on its side flat and have to stop and drink and replase it in the pack witch is slow and stupid and leaves me thirsty when im too pressed to stop for water. im so so tempted to join yall and get the tube but i watch them freeze and i worry about the weight and the extra peices of gear and the danger of walking and drinking.can someone please try to convince me to use the tube.the arguments for are , a ,... freezing is stupid cause the idiots went to sleep with water in the tube in the smokeys in march.and ,b,...dehydration is so much less probbuble with a tube. and , c, .. drinking and operating heavy mapackery is a fine thing.

hopefulhiker
08-11-2006, 17:19
i carried my 2 litre plat in a front back. no tube to suck on, I just grabbed the whole front pack lifted it up and guzzled. The front pack was good for camera, map, and snacks too..

FLHiker
08-11-2006, 17:25
I would think it a bad idea to try and carry a live mammal in your pack. Especially when said mammal has a venomous spur on its foot. Also, I'm sure it is illegal to transport from Austrailia to America without a permit.

Just my thoughts...

"marsupials scare me. . . 'cause there fast."

:D

frieden
08-11-2006, 20:17
i carried my 2 litre plat in a front back. no tube to suck on, I just grabbed the whole front pack lifted it up and guzzled. The front pack was good for camera, map, and snacks too..

They used to do the front pack thing in Europe (lg. backpack on your back, and small daypack on the front). I tried that, and about killed myself. Wayyyy too much weight!

Brushy Sage
08-11-2006, 20:58
I've used the same platypus for four years, always carried mouth down, with tube coming out of the pack at the center of the top (both day pack and large pack). This has worked well except for once when a bunch of packs were stacked in Miss Janet's van, and mine got squeezed in a way that emptied most of the water into her van carpet.