PDA

View Full Version : How far off the Trail have you camped?

rickb
08-12-2006, 10:20
This poll asks how far you have walked into the woods off of the marked trail (either the AT or one of its blue blazes) to camp.

StarLyte
08-12-2006, 10:28
This poll asks how far you have walked into the woods off of the marked trail (either the AT or one of its blue blazes) to camp.

Top of Pine Mountain south of Fox Creek VA 603, blue blaze to your right before the stile, a horse trail/blue blaze "Pine Trail" over to Rhododendron Gap then back on the blue blaze again at Deep Gap and took that over to Elk Garden.

That is 2 SWEET blue blazes.

Hey is the VA Creeper considered a blue blaze at certain points?

TOW
08-12-2006, 10:32
when i was out there between 2000-'03 sometimes i would hike a mile or two off the trail and find a little pond or stream to set up camp in, quite a few times i met locals from the area and hung out with them for the night.....a lot of good sunsets and experiences that way.........

rickb
08-12-2006, 10:40
You walked into the woods that far?

TOW
08-12-2006, 10:42
You walked into the woods that far?sometimes....id be hiking along and something would catch my eye or i'd just get tired at looking at the trail and go off on a whim, most of the time i would just return to the trail but every now and then i'd get far off the beaten path..........

Slojourner
08-12-2006, 10:56
First week of April 2003, was section hiking (SoBo) from Stecoah Gap. Had planned on making it to the 1st shelter at Sassafras Gap. Was meeting lots of NoBos and was told the shelter was already packed. So when the thunder & lightning, rain, hail and wind started, I decided to stop short and spend the night in my hammock a little ways off the AT. Was close enough to hear hikers as they passed by. But far enough away to not be real obvious to others.

SGT Rock
08-12-2006, 17:26
I don't know the distance, but I have regularly gotten out of sight of the trail for camping.

sliderule
08-12-2006, 17:39
I never walk more than halfway into the woods.

TOW
08-12-2006, 19:50
Better not have missed a single foot of the trail!

I've actually pitched my tent directly ON the trail in the trough.i was never a purist, don't believe in it...............i am hiker trash all the way,,,,,,,,whiteblazin, blueblazin, yellowblazin sometimes.............

TOW
08-12-2006, 19:51
I never walk more than halfway into the woods.how long is halfway?

Sandy B
08-15-2006, 20:07
Halfway- is the answer to the old question, How far can you go walk into the woods?

Cause at the 1/2 way mark you are comming out the other side! :)

I know 3rd grade joke.
Sandy B

mweinstone
08-15-2006, 20:24
dont leave the trail.everyone who steps one step off the trail dies. the woods swallow them up. if the old witch doesnt get you the troll under the bridge will.one step is all it takes!sleep directly on the trail. make hikers step over you.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-15-2006, 22:20
I sleep off the trail far enough to be out of sight. BTW, Matthewski, the trolls are good with a little olive oil and salt - even better with ramen.

Skidsteer
08-15-2006, 22:23
I sleep off the trail far enough to be out of sight. BTW, Matthewski, the trolls are good with a little olive oil and salt - even better with ramen.

You forgot the most important part!

Singe the hair off in a small campfire first. ;)