PDA

View Full Version : What about a White Blaze hostel?

hopefulhiker
08-12-2006, 10:24
After hiking the trail, I had the idea of opening a hostel, but it really is too much for me to do alone. The idea is this: What if White Blaze could raise the funds, on a bigger scale, like supporting Miss Janet, but to open up a White Blaze hostel somewhere. Members could take turns running it during the season. I think it should be in the South somewhere, probably in VA. You could get other hiking clubs involved and so forth.. Just an idea..

TOW
08-12-2006, 10:26
not a bad idea, but if it were to ever happen then it would have to be ran by a volunteer staff..............

StarLyte
08-12-2006, 10:29
After hiking the trail, I had the idea of opening a hostel, but it really is too much for me to do alone. The idea is this: What if White Blaze could raise the funds, on a bigger scale, like supporting Miss Janet, but to open up a White Blaze hostel somewhere. Members could take turns running it during the season. I think it should be in the South somewhere, probably in VA. You could get other hiking clubs involved and so forth.. Just an idea..

Count me in HH. For sure.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2006, 10:38
No more hostels

Cookerhiker
08-12-2006, 10:43
When Shaw's went up for sale, I mentioned the possibilty of running it as a co-op upon which many WBers threw cold water, pointing out the inherant difficulties in having so many people ijnvolved. I'm not saying that to discourage your proposal, just to let you know the kind of reception you'll likely receive. But it's nice to dream.

As to location, you suggested South - is that because you're from NC? Any location would be OK but a more central siting may bring more volunteers.

On the other hand, I see the greatest need for a hostel between the Hudson River and Hanover, especially where lodging is so expensive. When I section-hiked the southern half of Mass in April, '05, I came to a road crossing near Great Barrington where a house - the only one around in a wooded surrounding - was for sale. Naturally I fantasized about buying it and converting it into a hostel.

Lone Wolf
08-12-2006, 10:54
Just walk. Stay in the woods. No hostels are needed. Earl would agree.

hopefulhiker
08-12-2006, 10:57
Yeah i wanted to open a hostel in the south, plus i saw a need in VA, but they are opening one at the jail in Bland, Plus I was thinking that the AMC has a big production in the Whites... At one point there was a vision where all along the trail, there would be little villiages, utopian educational communities, places to learn about nature in history.
Anyway, I think Baltimore Jack ought to open one in Hanover.....

Lone Wolf
08-12-2006, 10:58
Hanover is not a warm trail town. Get your stuff and keep moving.

SGT Rock
08-12-2006, 11:03
I realized a long time ago I don't want to run a hostel. I think Troll has considered it. But I think he was going to take over an old, existing hostel.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 11:59
I took folks in for several weeks last August, and still enjoy doing so on a selective basis. Half a dozen guys stayed last night and are zeroing today.

But I have no interest, nor do I have the temperment, to run a hiker hostel all the time. Sooner or later I'd probably have to kill someone.

But if anyone else wants to give it a shot, I wish you luck!

Ewker
08-12-2006, 12:08
Just walk. Stay in the woods. No hostels are needed. Earl would agree.

I seem to remember(correct me if I am wrong) that in Earl's book he mention staying in peoples homes along the way. Some gave him a ride back to the trailhead. Could they have been considered the first hostel's?

Just Jeff
08-12-2006, 15:13
We can't even agree on how to keep a thread on topic - how are we gonna agree on what's to be done with volunteer donations, whether or not dogs/pot/alcohol/hiking poles/hammocks are allowed in the hostel, etc.?

Having volunteers from WB staff it is one thing - implying some kind of WB ownership, where volunteers have some input over how it operates b/c of their financial or sweat investment, is something completely different.

But if you can find a way to make it work, and I end up back on the east coast when it's operating, I'll gladly stop by for a few days and volunteer some time.

max patch
08-12-2006, 15:52
On the other hand, I see the greatest need for a hostel between the Hudson River and Hanover, especially where lodging is so expensive.

There used to be several hostels in that stretch -- including a church in Hanover that was a great place to stay -- that are now closed because of improper hiker behavior.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 16:10
Actually the church in Hanover (like the Episcopal church in Manchester Center) stopped taking hikers for all sorts of reasons, Max.

And there are in fact several hostels still extant in this stretch, such as the ones in Vernon NJ and Rutland,VT., and other one near Great Barrington, as well as one in Dalton, MA.

But thanx for another of your always sharp and accurate insights.

max patch
08-12-2006, 18:24
Actually the church in Hanover (like the Episcopal church in Manchester Center) stopped taking hikers for all sorts of reasons, Max.

But thanx for another of your always sharp and accurate insights.

I agree, my comments are usually sharp and accurate. Thanks for noticing.

As for the Episcopal Church in Hanover, it was inappropriate hiker behavior. I was there, I saw it, and anything you say ain't gonna change the facts.

Need another set of eyeballs? How about what L Wolf had to say last year? I've copied it below for your review:

=====

Hanover, NH I stayed at the Episcopal Hostel in 1986. They had bunks on the bottom floor of the Student Center. From the 1990 Philosopher's Guide, "Edgerton House Episcopal Student Center: Due to problems with hikers in 1987 and 1988, you can scratch this place from your list of hostels." Alcohol was involved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------Last edited by L. Wolf : 04-14-2005 at 09:49.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 18:44
Actually, Maxie, that church was taking in selected hikers up until several years ago. Perhaps the official hostel closed, but their hospitality to hikers did not. In any case, this hospitality certainly lasted well past 1988.

When were you last here in Hanover, anyway?

Or Wolf, for that matter?

Thanx again for another sharp, insightful, and most of all, accurate post.
From you we expect no less.

I don't need another set of eyeballs, Max.

But you, maybe, should stick to subjects you know something about.

Sly
08-12-2006, 18:55
But you, maybe, should stick to subjects you know something about.

Which is? ;)

blindeye
08-12-2006, 18:59
i go to hanover for medical reasons(DHMC) although the hospital is world class, i agree that hanover is a little chilly to a lot of people. BRRRRRRRRR

tiamalle
08-12-2006, 19:29
i go to hanover for medical reasons(DHMC) although the hospital is world class, i agree that hanover is a little chilly to a lot of people. BRRRRRRRRRhavin a hostel is really neat,but you have to put your whole heart into it and it is for only about 8 to 10 weeks a year.
You will never please everyone and it is a 16 hour a day job.Yes I know that I'm a inn keeper but I try to run it large hostel style when hikers come thru.
I'm up by 5 or 6 am and hustle til near midnight.We have help sure but I feel responsible if things go wrong and I work like a rented mule at times.I enjoy and look forward to the time of hikers coming thru.Lots of hikers has this idea and they are great,but when you start it you have got to be devoted,and willing to go for the long haul.Expect bad things as some stated,but look for and enjoy the good.The ratio is 100 great people to every bad one.What I'm trying to say is,it's fun but it's not a piece of cake.

max patch
08-12-2006, 20:50
Thanx again for another sharp, insightful, and most of all, accurate post.
From you we expect no less.

You're welcome.

mweinstone
08-12-2006, 21:10
dear miss janet,...please,please,..please,... tell the story about the hiker you trailnamed ,unexceptable. that is a really powerfull lesson in how not to end up the one in a hundred horrable hiker.

and the north needs the white blaze shelter. the idea of this hostel is powerfull. you take the most deppressing strip of trail, say around new york or pa , and you create a learning hostile. a motovation hostle.a place that would by design be way hiker.with no oversight other than a single sitter. modeled after the place with a guy to get your donation .just an idea. i like your thread. this is deffinatly doable. and corperate donations or grant money might work.i envision a massive,(for a trailside hostle) library of trail info. a clearinghouse if you will. i volenteer my entire collection if we do this. its about a hundred books of the highest and some oldest ,order.

attroll
08-12-2006, 21:51
When Shaw's went up for sale and I was worried that it would go away to the hiking community I tried to raise funds to purchase it. I know that I would never come close to what they wanted but I figured if I could get a decent amount I was even willing to sell my house I have now and move there an take it over. Running a hostel has been a dream of mine. But as someone else said it is also a big undertaking. You do not realize what hostel owners do behind the scenes. You only see what they do when your around. Running a hostel is a 24/7 job. No weekends and holidays. I was able to get a large amount committed to putting money towards Shaw's but the problem was I had to worry about how many would have actually have some through with there promises. We did not have to pursue it long because as we all know now a local couple purchase the place and kept with the Shaw's tradition.

Still owning and running a hostel is a dream I will always have. It may never come true but I continue to look. I have my eyes on one place here in Maine, but they are asking more then what it is worth. I feel the same way Starlyte does. I love the Appalachian Trail community and I feel more at home around it then anywhere else.

saimyoji
08-12-2006, 22:01
Sooner or later I'd probably have to kill someone.

Didn't this already happen one year at the Doyle? :eek:

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 22:06
I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Feel free to speak plainly.

saimyoji
08-12-2006, 22:17
I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Feel free to speak plainly.

Uhh, well it was a tasteless jab at the time you walked into your hotel room to find a corpse. Using your quote was meant to make it seem like you had actually killed the guy, hence the tasteless part.

If I'm incorrect that this tale involves you, then I retract and apologize. If it is true, was it something that I became privy to and "let the cat out of the bag" so to speak?

I merely seak to poke fun, not offend.

Now for something completely different:

I propose a name for our WB hostel: The CandyAss Retreat :D

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 22:42
Absolutely no offense taken.

I did indeed discover a profoundly dead gentlemen in the Doyle, tho in the interest of true accuracy, it should be noted that he was in the room NEXT to mine.

There seems to be no secret about this, it was one of the better known Trail tales of '99, especially as it was one of the few good ones that actually happened.

Of course I have no problem with your bringing this up. I was merely concerned that you actually thought I'd killed the guy instead of merely finding him.

I assure you I had nothing to do with his leaving this vale of tears.....I merely helped expedite his leaving the Doyle.

saimyoji
08-12-2006, 22:48
Jack,

I guess if you weren't already involved in several other heated debates tonite you would have immediately seen the humor in my post. But given some of the battles thrown your way, I can understand your being on guard.

So what was it he died of? Heinous stink from his neighbor? :D