PDA

View Full Version : Marmot Helium or Hydrogen

terrestrialnomad
04-01-2003, 03:35
I am looking for a little insight in all around weather on a thru hike I guess. I have been debating between these two bags, 15 and 30 degrees, which is a better pick for a thru hike? would I sweat to death in the summer months with the Helium and Freeze with the Hydrogen during the spring and fall? I am planning to take a silk design sleep sheet as well if that makes a difference. Any insight would be great.

Peter

Youngblood
04-01-2003, 09:11
Originally posted by terrestrialnomad
I am looking for a little insight in all around weather on a thru hike I guess. I have been debating between these two bags, 15 and 30 degrees, which is a better pick for a thru hike? would I sweat to death in the summer months with the Helium and Freeze with the Hydrogen during the spring and fall? I am planning to take a silk design sleep sheet as well if that makes a difference. Any insight would be great.

Peter

You have it pretty much figured out. Pick one and try to make it work...or use a different bag in the summer and spring/fall. Past thru-hikers have made it either way. BTW, some bags allow you to 'shift' the down from top to bottom so that you can do some adjustments to its temperature range.

Good luck and have a great hike,
Youngblood

PS. I used a 20 and 35 degree bag on my thru-hike.

chris
04-01-2003, 09:22
Part of it depends on when you are leaving. If I was starting in March, I'd bring my 25 bag and swap it out when I got clear of Mt. Rogers. If in May, the 40. If I only had the 40 and was starting in March, I would bring slightly warmer clothing. Perhaps a light down vest and heavyweight thermals in addition to my regular stuff. If I only had the 25, I would probably end up shipping it home in June and just going with the liner. I'd probably pick up the bigger bag if I was going to be in Maine in September or October.

I had difficulty with a Marmot Arroyo and so wouldn't use them again. However, if I was, I would probably get the Hydrogen and make it work.

Note that the Marmot Helium won the best overall bag prize in BackpackingLightweight's sleeping bag derby. You can read about it here:

http://www.backpacking.net/gear-reviews/sleeping-bag-review/

Grimace
04-01-2003, 10:11
I too was looking at the Helium/Hydrogen. After reading some reviews from people on this site and others I was swayed to looking at the Western Mountianeering Bags. If you are going to spend the money anyway, I urge to look at the WM bags before you make a purchase. If you do choose to go with the Marmot... I've been told their temperature ratings are quite liberal. The 15 degree bag acts more like a 20-25 degree bag. This is of course all hearsay. I've never used the Marmot bags.

Jeff
04-01-2003, 10:24
I am a section hiker and use the Marmot Arroyo bag which is rated at 30 degrees. I have hiked all of April thru TN and VA including some cold 25-30 degree nights over Roan and cold nights near Mt Rogers. The Arroyo worked just fine without the need to put on extra clothing and without a liner.

Unless I was leaving Springer the first week of March, I would trust the Marmot bag without question.

chris
04-01-2003, 12:24
The Marmot Arroyo is what I have had difficulty with. The long term durability of the down is questionable. I had Marmot restuff it (after about 18 months of moderate use) when I discovered at 18,000 ft in the Himalaya that most of the down was gone from the chest and upper stomach areas. Total time from contacting Marmot to getting the bag back was about 3 months. The restuff worked for about 8 months, during which time things were fine. Now, a large amount of the down has delofted and I am left with a bag that struggles to keep me warm with a liner and hat at above freezing temps. I've washed the bag, which brought back some loft. Rather than having Marmot work on it again, I bought two WM bags and have been very pleased with them.

By the way, my Marmot (long) weighs in at 2 lbs, 9oz, which is significantly different than their claimed weight. This makes my Arroyo a real porker for its warmth. I know of atleast one other person who has had the same difficulties with the Arroyo.

AmazinGrace
04-02-2003, 08:13
Hi Terrestrial Nomad--I would go with the 30 degree bag, and add the liner for the spring/fall parts of the hike. The 15-degree bag will be very warm for most of the hike. The mid-Atlantic states can get really hot and humid in summer.

I sent my 40-degree bag home while I was hiking from Waynesboro, VA to New England, because it was way too hot--in between I just used a piece of fleece that I sewed into a sleeping bag shape with dental floss. That was warm enough except for one night in the Shenandoahs when the temps fell to the 40s.

I am also about to get a Marmot Hydrogen--it looks like a great all-around light bag. I've seen good reports about it. I've had two synthetic bags and both have lost all their loft pretty quickly.

Happy hiking!
Amazin' Grace

steve hiker
04-02-2003, 22:55
Was looking at the Hydrogen on Marmot's website and they claim 900 fill power: "Certified 900 Fill Goose Down the best weight to warmth down in the market; independently tested and certified by International Down and Feather Laboratory in Salt Lake City, Utah. Retested at fill time in Santa Rosa to ensure 900 fill power every time."

First time I've ever seen a rating like that. New standard or more advertising fluff?

rickb
04-02-2003, 23:42
Can someone please tell me if these are the hellium bags that everyone is talking about?

http://www.massmoca.org/visual_arts/index.html#calderon

BTW, this shot was taken 2 or 3 miles from the AT in North Adams, MA.

Rick B

Uncle Wayne
04-17-2003, 08:10
I have the Marmot Arroyo and have been pleased with it. I have the regular length bag and it weighs in at 1 lb. 15 oz. including stuff sack. I have found the 30 degree rating to be accurate.

I bought my wife a Western Mountaineering Ultralite last spring and highly recommend it. If I ever buy another bag it will be a Western Mountaineering Ultralite. Including stuff sack, it weighs 1 lb. 9 oz., rated 25 degrees and even after almost a year of moderate use, still lofts up like new. I believe the rating is conservative.

If you're in the market and looking at a Helium or Hydrogen, consider the Ultralite also.

As Chris has proved by his post concerning the Marmot Arroyo, YMMV and probably will!

Freeze
04-17-2003, 11:15
I too was looking at Marmot bags and having the same debate. Hydrogen or Helium? I decided to go in between with a 20 degree bag. The WM Apache. It's 3 oz heavier that the Helium (2 lbs), but has a full length zipper, and the down can be shifted to suit the temperatures. Plus I hear the micro fibers make it extremely tough and breathable, while giving good water resistance. Also, the WM felt much more confortable than the Helium did when i jumped in them at the store.
According to High Country Outfit in Georgia (404-814-0999), this is a very popular bag on the AT.
I'm getting ready to buy it, so if anyone has good/bad criticism about this bag, please feel free to do so now.

chris
04-17-2003, 12:18
A friend of mine has used the Apache for the past 4 or 6 years and loves it. He uses it more for mountaineering trips than anything else and it appears to be in very good condition still. He even stores it in the stuff sack.

Grimace
04-18-2003, 08:45
The WM Ultralite and the APache are essentially the same bag in terms of cut. They differ in that the Ultralite has a half zip and a lighter/less breathable outer fabric. IT weighs 6-8 oz less in total if I'm not mistaken. If you are a big weight freak go with the Ultralite. If not, the Apache will be an awesome bag for you.

gravityman
04-18-2003, 10:11
Just have to say it. I LOVE my ultralight. Best bag I have ever seen or owned. The loft is uncomparable.

Just must .02

Gravity Man

Freeze
04-18-2003, 15:09
Looks like I’m getting the Apache. My second choice would be a Feathered Friends Hummingbird 20 Degree. I hear that is also an excellent bag (1 lbs 11 oz). One thing I like about Feathered Friends is that you can pick your shell material and add an optional full length zipper. Too bad I’m a little too big for that bag. One thing to consider about Marmot’s “Inert Gases” models is that they come with a half length zipper. I think that would be very inconvenient during summer months if the same bag is to be used throughout the whole hike.

Papa Bear
04-18-2003, 16:33
Originally posted by bigfoot
One thing to consider about Marmot's "Inert Gases" models

Hydrogen is hardly an inert gas. Remember the Hindenburg!

Lithium is also highly reactive, and a metal.

But whatever, they're cute names. :) Will Beryllium be next

Pb

Freeze
04-18-2003, 17:34
You're Right. Hydrogen does not belong to any family and Lithium is an Alkali Metal.
How could I forget? Stupid me! Thanks for correcting me.

Papa Bear
04-18-2003, 17:47
And don't foret that the Starship Enterprise was powered by di-Lithium crystals.

Pretty hot stuff, that! :) :)

Would a couple's Marmot sleeping bag (i.e. a bag for two people) be a di-Lithium bag? (or would that be a bi-Lithium bag?)

Pb

Freeze
04-18-2003, 18:04
Sounds like a trick question. Better keep my mouth shut. I could end up looking bi-stupid! Or would that be di-stupid?

qsilver
12-25-2003, 20:13
The WM Ultralite and the APache are essentially the same bag in terms of cut. They differ in that the Ultralite has a half zip and a lighter/less breathable outer fabric. IT weighs 6-8 oz less in total if I'm not mistaken. If you are a big weight freak go with the Ultralite. If not, the Apache will be an awesome bag for you.

Just bought a WM Ultralite and was shocked to find the bag has a full 2-way zipper yet STILL weighs 1# 10 ounces. I too had narrowed down my choices to the Marmot Helium and WM Ultralite and finally went with the Ultralite due to price, versatility, and full zipper (now that I know!). Cheapest I found the Helium: $300. Cheapest I found the Ultralite: $225(left zip), $250(right zip). Very few people have anything bad to say about WM.... with the price difference, the choice seems easy. Though I don't understand why the right zip bag would cost $25 - $30 more... :-?

Peace, Vinnie

brian
12-26-2003, 01:43
Im looking @ the Feathered Friends Kestrel, with Epic shell and 2oz overfill. Total cost would be $330. Only a little more than the WM and Marmot bags, and I can get a semi-customized size. The big thing is the shell material- Epic rocks for sleeping bags! Hopefully I can use it on my thru hike!

Brian
Future Thru Hiker 2013

yogi clyde
12-26-2003, 22:19
Just bought a WM Ultralite and was shocked to find the bag has a full 2-way zipper yet STILL weighs 1# 10 ounces. I too had narrowed down my choices to the Marmot Helium and WM Ultralite and finally went with the Ultralite due to price, versatility, and full zipper (now that I know!). Cheapest I found the Helium: $300. Cheapest I found the Ultralite: $225(left zip), $250(right zip). Very few people have anything bad to say about WM.... with the price difference, the choice seems easy. Though I don't understand why the right zip bag would cost $25 - $30 more... :-?

Peace, Vinnie

Vinnie
Where did you find the WM for $225

Thanks

sawwhetowl
12-27-2003, 02:12
whoops! my mistake

qsilver
12-28-2003, 21:46
Vinnie
Where did you find the WM for $225

Thanks

Moosejaw.com .... plus I used a coupon/promotion code that I found through Google for 15% off. (original price $265LZ/$295RZ) In addition, Moosejaw is currently doing free Expedited shipping. I'd rather not list all the coupon codes I know for Moosejaw in this post for fear of mass use forcing Moosejaw to retract them. Just search "moosejaw coupon promotion code" in Google. You should be able to come up with about 4 pretty easily. Sorry to sound like a commercial....

Peace, Vinnie