PDA

View Full Version : Thru hiker's gear stolen

Old Hillwalker
08-12-2006, 17:12
I was up on Mooselauke yesterday 8/11, talking to some Thrus and one of them mentioned a guy who reported that he had gotten drunk in Hanover and had all his stuff stolen except his wallet. He purchased all new gear (not in Hanover due to a scarcity of outfitters) and was again headed NOBO. Also, there is a young lady currently sitting at Glencliff Hostel with a broken leg sustained coming down the last pitch of the Kinsman Ridge trail as she finished a short slack in reverse from Lonesome Lake Hut. She walked herself out, and collapsed at the roadside in Kinsman's Notch. Fun times in the Whites as usual:o

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 17:21
Not to rain on such a colorful story, but as I understood it from the hiker in question, this wasn't necessarily a theft.

He got drunk as a monkey and crashed in the woods on the outskirts of town. The following morning he was unable to locate his pack and was sunsequently forced to buy new gear.

At least that's what he told me when I encountered him on Lebanon Street as he was about to head North.

As far as I know, his stuff is most likely still in the woods somewhere waiting to be discovered.

In any case, there is very little chance this incident involved intentional theft.

Sly
08-12-2006, 18:14
How fitting it would be if it's the same hiker with the invalid ID from the bar!

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 18:23
I hadn't thought of that, Sly, but regrettably, it was two different people.

And the guy who lost his pack actually seemed like a very nice kid.

Careless maybe, but nice.

Ender
08-12-2006, 18:24
There is a hiker out there who the exact same thing happened to earlier during the trail, I think in PA somewhere. I wonder if it's the same person, and if the it happened twice to him (or he did it to himself twice), or if he's just modifying the story as he heads north to garner sympathy.

rumbler
08-12-2006, 18:31
Tell whoever finds it to look for some brain cells I believe I lost somewhere in the same vicinity a while back.

Jack Tarlin
08-12-2006, 18:35
Beats me. You're right, every year, there's someone claiming that their pack was stolen somewhere along the Trail.

Usually the stories are nonsense.

Theft on the trail, thankfully, is still a very rare thing.

the_iceman
08-12-2006, 19:05
was the young lady with the brokern leg a through hiker?

Old Hillwalker
08-13-2006, 07:21
Not to rain on such a colorful story, but as I understood it from the hiker in question, this wasn't necessarily a theft.

He got drunk as a monkey and crashed in the woods on the outskirts of town. The following morning he was unable to locate his pack and was sunsequently forced to buy new gear.

At least that's what he told me when I encountered him on Lebanon Street as he was about to head North.

As far as I know, his stuff is most likely still in the woods somewhere waiting to be discovered.

In any case, there is very little chance this incident involved intentional theft.

Yeah, we had the same thought as soon as the word "drunk" appeared.

generoll
08-13-2006, 10:09
I find it interesting that people who don't give out there real name in this forum, even in their profile are so interested in the names of others who may have acted foolishly. Just in case you don't want to look at my profile, the name here's Gene Roll

Just Jeff
08-13-2006, 12:21
HAHA - I always thought it was a play on "general" or something. That's funny.

ed bell
08-13-2006, 12:40
HAHA - I always thought it was a play on "general" or something. That's funny.Same here, damn Gene you took all the fun out of your WB name.:)

FLHiker
08-13-2006, 12:49
Me too - that's funny

Alligator
08-13-2006, 13:23
Yep, I've been thinking "general" whenever I read one your posts.

mweinstone
08-13-2006, 14:31
i happen to know you are a retired army general who is still being contacted by the millitary for advice on the war.so what are you recomending general ? pull out or put on protection and keep at it?

generoll
08-13-2006, 15:04
general? Nope, I was a Spec 5 when I was in, they let me go because I became drunk with power.

Jack Tarlin
08-14-2006, 13:30
Boston:

The guy who lost his pack in Hanover seemed pretty embarassed by the whole thing, and while the story was pretty well known on the Trail, there doesn't seem to be any reason to publish his name here.

Of course, there are probably a few idiots out there who believe my shielding this information is an indication the story isn't true.

As on other matters, people desiring more information can contact me privately, but yeah, this happened, an it wasn't a theft, it was merely carelessness; in short, not much story here.

Time To Fly 97
08-14-2006, 14:28
general? Nope, I was a Spec 5 when I was in, they let me go because I became drunk with power.

What a perfect response! LOL!

TTF

neo
08-18-2006, 11:05

i am glad he did not get hit by a train when he was drunk.i have been sober since oct 1994,i have came to in all kinds of place when in alcoholic black outs.:cool: neo

Heater
08-19-2006, 01:45
Of course, there are probably a few idiots out there who believe my shielding this information is an indication the story isn't true.

You mean you aren't better than everyone else?

:D

I am crushed!

:rolleyes:

Heater
08-19-2006, 01:48
i am glad he did not get hit by a train when he was drunk.i have been sober since oct 1994,i have came to in all kinds of place when in alcoholic black outs.:cool: neo

:D I don't believe you. Got Pics?:cool: austexs

Jack Tarlin
08-19-2006, 16:13
Hey, Aus, here's a hiking tip for ya:

Take the stick out of your ass someday and your Trail mileage might improve.

The sheer number of your posts that are about me, or are directed at me, boggles the mind.

You need a new hobby.

Ever thought of trying out backpacking some day?

Heater
08-19-2006, 20:27
Hey, Aus, here's a hiking tip for ya:

Take the stick out of your ass someday and your Trail mileage might improve.

The sheer number of your posts that are about me, or are directed at me, boggles the mind.

You need a new hobby.

Ever thought of trying out backpacking some day?

I have only made two posts about you or directed at you that I can think of. And both those were within the last two or three weeks. The first one was when you were slamming Dino. This last one was a jab at amigi and a post he made about you earlier so it wasn't directed to you at all.
Sarcasm, jack, Learn to recognize it

Maybe you should remove the stick from of your ass. ;)

Darwin again
08-20-2006, 00:15
Here we go ... another thread in the incinerator...