PDA

View Full Version : price

mweinstone
08-12-2006, 20:21
whats the total cost of your thru ?include rent and bills while your gone if thats an exspence. add up every cost both hiking and non hikeing if its a cost you will pay to hike or to be able to maintain your life back home.

my apartment cant be subleted due to my art.and i cant turn off the utilitys. and i live alone and need to maintain this homefront for my return.

so my total cost is alot:
for five months:
rent+electric+gas+phone+trip money+extras = about 9000.00$

onicoe
08-12-2006, 20:33
i'm lucky in that i'm living with my dad while i attend college, and i don't have any bills to pay. i've saved up enough money to last me through the entire hike and gear for said hike has run me about $900, prolly closer to a grand by now i've gotten lazy about keeping track of my gear spending. after i bank the funds i receive for the upcoming fall semester i'll have about 3 grand in hiking money.

fiddlehead
08-12-2006, 22:51
I usually rent my house out when i go hiking.
The money i get for rent usually covers most all of my hiking costs.
I make them pay the utilities too.
Haven't had health insurance since '87, haven't had a car payment since '71. (Real estate taxes are getting higher though.)
so, if you look at it like the original poster wanted, it could be done for free!

"Free is better than cheap" and bill's suck!

hammock engineer
08-13-2006, 00:41
If you are calculating the total cost. Consider figuring the difference in not working. For me after expensies it is going to add about a year less pay, vacation time, retirement, plus.

But having figured in all of that, I still think it is worth it. Although I seem to think I am the only person I know that thinks that way. A couple of my friends seem to think I am making a big career mistake. Time will tell.

Heater
08-13-2006, 01:05
whats the total cost of your thru ?include rent and bills while your gone if thats an exspence. add up every cost both hiking and non hikeing if its a cost you will pay to hike or to be able to maintain your life back home.

my apartment cant be subleted due to my art.and i cant turn off the utilitys. and i live alone and need to maintain this homefront for my return.

so my total cost is alot:
for five months:
rent+electric+gas+phone+trip money+extras = about 9000.00$

I just paid off the homestead on 08-02-06. Average for Property taxes and Insurance is 333 per month. If I go in '08 that's what the while away costs for home are. I plan on having ast least 4500 for the hike.
Total = 6500.

Add 2900 to the total for unpaid debt if I go in 07. 9400. 'Aint gonna happen.

Looks like late March '08 it is. :banana

fiddlehead
08-13-2006, 01:07
Too many (unhappy) people wrongfully assume that time is money!
You will find out differently when hiking the trail. Quality time = Hiking time
Perhaps your friends will have written on their tombstones: "He wishes he would've spent more time at the office" (and who do they think will live longer?)

hammock engineer
08-13-2006, 01:11
Too many (unhappy) people wrongfully assume that time is money!
You will find out differently when hiking the trail. Quality time = Hiking time
Perhaps your friends will have written on their tombstones: "He wishes he would've spent more time at the office" (and who do they think will live longer?)

That's the way I feel. I would rather be poor with lots of time off loving life, than working nonstop and loaded. One of my friends who doesn't live like this, doesn't see me ever getting a real job. Only time will tell.

Heater
08-13-2006, 01:13
If you are calculating the total cost. Consider figuring the difference in not working. For me after expensies it is going to add about a year less pay, vacation time, retirement, plus.

But having figured in all of that, I still think it is worth it. Although I seem to think I am the only person I know that thinks that way. A couple of my friends seem to think I am making a big career mistake. Time will tell.

I am in the same boat except as long as I do not withdraw my retirement savings, I still get it at the "rule of 80" date. (age + years of service = 80)
I'll have to wait about 5 extra years before collecting. I can handle that. :cool:

fiddlehead
08-13-2006, 01:17
Perhaps he will be a plumber and work 40 hours a week with 2 weeks off every year for whatever passion he has. And you may be a wilderness ranger in Utah, or a trail builder that gets to travel to Tazmania to help desing some future trail there. Or a pack designer/manufacturer. Or poet/musician/author/songwriter/movie maker/
Long Distance backpacking has a lot to offer. Mostly quality time and educating yourself about nature and what's really important in this world.
Anyone can be a plumber.

fiddlehead
08-13-2006, 01:19
Sorry, i didn't hit the "Quote" button but was reffering to Hammock Engineer's post above. This thread is too hot to give me time to answer

hammock engineer
08-13-2006, 01:33
I often say I am going to end up doing something completly unrelated to my degree. What ever happens, happens. As long as I have enough money to live and not have to work my whole life, I am happy.

Who says threads get off topic on WB.

HapKiDo
08-13-2006, 18:25
I'll be saving money by Thru Hiking.

I'll be retired. I rent, so I'm giving up my house. I have two animals that go to the kennel ($500 a month), one storage unit ($50 a month), car is parked (one $300 insurance payment while I'm on the Trail), Life Insurance ($40 a quarter, gone 2 payment-quarters).

Six months = $3980 for those items at home.
I plan to spend no more than $3000 while on my Thru Hike. And I may be able to spend less.

I have no other bills. Health insurance is covered by my retirement program. I will be able to save nearly as much as I'll spend while Thru Hiking.

Where will I live after my hike? Anywhere I want to.
HapKiDo :D

karo
08-13-2006, 20:10
I am fortunate to be paid to hike. My plant will be shutdown for a re-tooliing on March 31, 2007. It is expected to be down for 12-18 months. I will be paid state unemployment and the rest of my regular pay up to 95%. I have 8 more years to retirement and may not be healthy enough by then I am afraid. My wife will only have to sign up online once a week for my pay. I hope to be on the trail by April 15th. My only concern is my family situation with my daughter right now. She is expecting a baby on March 23, 2007. That might delay my plans, but I still may section hike the whole trail when I can. That way I could come home when I want to see my family.

StarLyte
08-13-2006, 20:15
I am fortunate to be paid to hike. My plant will be shutdown for a re-tooliing on March 31, 2007. It is expected to be down for 12-18 months. I will be paid state unemployment and the rest of my regular pay up to 95%. I have 8 more years to retirement and may not be healthy enough by then I am afraid. My wife will only have to sign up online once a week for my pay. I hope to be on the trail by April 15th. My only concern is my family situation with my daughter right now. She is expecting a baby on March 23, 2007. That might delay my plans, but I still may section hike the whole trail when I can. That way I could come home when I want to see my family.

Hello fellow flyfisherman and hiker!

Lucky should be your name. :banana

EarthJourney
08-14-2006, 19:59
A couple of my friends seem to think I am making a big career mistake. Time will tell.

I hear ya! With the exception of this board - most of the feedback I get is of the thought........."Are ya really sure you want to do this??????" as they cock and nod their head w/that questioning/disapproving look.

:rolleyes:

Thank goodness for that "birds of a feather" thingie!

the goat
08-14-2006, 20:03
$2,200....lived like a king.

hammock engineer
08-14-2006, 20:45
I hear ya! With the exception of this board - most of the feedback I get is of the thought........."Are ya really sure you want to do this??????" as they cock and nod their head w/that questioning/disapproving look.

:rolleyes:

Thank goodness for that "birds of a feather" thingie!

It all comes down to living life to the fullest and not having any regrets. Not going would be something that would bug my the rest of my life.

Hope to see you out there next year.

mindi
08-18-2006, 13:59
Because of some unexpected medical bills, I'm going to have a lot less cash for my thru than I was originally planning. I'm going to have to be strict with myself about limiting town days/eating out/etc. but I think I'll be okay. I'm planning on about $3000. (This does not include money spent on gear and bills while I'm gone). I could wait another year and be sure that I'd have more, but I'm dead-set on going in '07 and if it means I have to cut bakc on some luxuries, so be it.
:) Mindi

the goat
08-18-2006, 14:38
Because of some unexpected medical bills, I'm going to have a lot less cash for my thru than I was originally planning. I'm going to have to be strict with myself about limiting town days/eating out/etc. but I think I'll be okay. I'm planning on about $3000. (This does not include money spent on gear and bills while I'm gone). I could wait another year and be sure that I'd have more, but I'm dead-set on going in '07 and if it means I have to cut bakc on some luxuries, so be it.
:) Mindi

you'll be just fine with 3K. have a great time!

the_iceman
08-18-2006, 19:25
I you look at lost wages, plus expenses, impact on my buisiness the number would be in the triple digits but it is not about money unless maybe your name is Bryson and you want to write a book.

Mortage 2,200 /month
Kids Tution combined 90K/yr
lost wages ????

hiking the AT - PRICELESS

The Old Fhart
08-18-2006, 19:44
My case was a little different than icemanboston. The first time I sectioned hiked using parts of my 6 weeks of vacation per year. Then in 1998, after I took early retirement, I thru hiked. Income from photo useage more than paid for my hike.

Mortage - paid in full
wife working - good
direct deposit of pension check- great

hiking the AT - PRICELESS :D

mweinstone
08-22-2006, 20:34
id hike all day and each day each year this whole life back and forth up and down the good old AT.

Omarwannahike
09-11-2006, 19:43
yeah, I am selling a house, car, etc, etc.... all I need to leave behind is $7200 for a year... why a year? I am heading to hike NZ, China, Tanzania and Peru after the AT.

And... no, not alone, with My wife.

Well, if not hike at least walk around, lol.

I am sure, if you walk a mile on the AT, as long as it is YOUR HIKE, it is worth all you have done up to the moment you walked that mile.

mweinstone
09-12-2006, 22:25
isnt there some weird charity that would sponsor a hiker or some way to hike free for everyone? ideas?like ask corpoorate america to sponsor the whole class of 07. or we right a grant or something. but all or none. theres a way im sure. some corporation would make millions if they made a comercial of two hundred thruhikes montaged .no? am i crazy? did i get dropped do you think?

the goat
09-12-2006, 22:36
isnt there some weird charity that would sponsor a hiker or some way to hike free for everyone? ideas?like ask corpoorate america to sponsor the whole class of 07. or we right a grant or something. but all or none. theres a way im sure. some corporation would make millions if they made a comercial of two hundred thruhikes montaged .no? am i crazy? did i get dropped do you think?

matt- work hard (i know you already have this covered), save your money, then hike.

no scams, no charity, no corporate dough. you'll be surprised at:
a. how much you can save if you're diligent a/b it.
b. how inexpensive a thru can be.

in any event, i hope you're successful.

mweinstone
09-13-2006, 20:06
kidding. i wish the trail was the whole world and only had 300 people in it.

texangie
09-27-2006, 02:07
I am planning to only have to pay for a storage unit, a low $ cell-phone plan (I will not be gabbing while I walk - I promise! It's for in-town and emergency use only) & a pocketmail account (or something similar).

I am giving up my rent house; my pets will stay with my roommate, who will be moving too; my car is paid for and will be at my mom's; my debt is gone, I'll pay off one smallish doctor bill before leaving, and I'm planning on having $4k saved before I leave. I will either cobra my insurance or buy an accident/injury policy of some sort.

I will start a second job next month and work at least through January. All of that money is to be set aside for my thru hike.

Oh...and I'm getting rid of a lot of extraneous CRAP that has accumulated over the last ten years. It's gotta go!!!!:D

And *then* I get to live my adventure!:clap wahooooooozie!

texangie

bido7614
09-27-2006, 21:20
Hey there. I dont have any expenses as far as bills to pay while im gone considering i live with my parents and they pay everything. i dont have a car... How much will or should i need to have saved up for the trail itself? like for while im gone food etc... i've been wondering about it.. just havent asked yet..

mweinstone
09-28-2006, 20:32
think of it like this. go to a small store or a gas station mart and go to a walmart and buy a load of food that fits in your pack. fill it up like your hungry.get a couple mac and cheese dinners and some ramman and gorp and candy and oats and coffie and such.even if your organic vegan. bare with me.your buying a load that simulates trail choices. most times its pricy and limmited. many other times its the super duper market you grew up with and are used to. aveage the prices of this load at a couple places. oppisite places. like gas station and walmart.buy enough to match your exspected speed. like how fast can you walk to supply sources. fast people carry less. slow minnisotas carry more. hungry stoners carry the most and go the slowest.mail drop support cant be figured with any of these calculations.now with your season and direction of travel adjustments,...cold more warm less....you have a number that needs only the travel/ lodging /repairs calculations.those are easy. 500/ 500/and 500.

basicly 3000.00$

Sly
09-28-2006, 20:46
Hey there. I dont have any expenses as far as bills to pay while im gone considering i live with my parents and they pay everything. i dont have a car... How much will or should i need to have saved up for the trail itself? like for while im gone food etc... i've been wondering about it.. just havent asked yet..

Bido since you're young and living at home, you could probably get by on $2000 or less. The reasons why I say this is, 1) You can't legally drink, it's quite easy to spend money in town having a few, 2) You probably don't smoke, or shouldn''t. If you do, quit while the quitting is easy. 3) You could do all mail drops and probably have your parents send them. It's a way for them to be involved in your hike. Just bear in mind your tastes will change so change each drop. 4) You're more likely able and willing to do more miles. It's not dollars per mile but time on the trail that cost money. The longer you're on the trail, the more it's going to cost.

mweinstone
09-28-2006, 21:01
sly speaks words of wise . all ya do is give them a copy of the book your useing and show em how to use it,..... map on the kitchen wall,...box of pins,... scale,.... empty boxes, tape and bulk cases of good food from a discount place wholesale club thinggy.and three boxes to start em off. as you are able, call and request a box to contain certian things. pace the mailing so they arrive with what you need. pre arrange points of pick up and learn numbers of post offices to forward what may be skipped or missed.thats a free service with the right choice of postage.teach your p's what you need and use trail supply points between posts.

Skidsteer
09-28-2006, 21:31
Yessirree. Cheaper than college.;)

Onealpha
10-02-2006, 00:25
May 8th 2005 my girlfriend of one year had a motorcycle accident and was paralyzed and to this day she has no feeling below her sternum. It has been a long and difficult year and a half but she is doing well considering her injuries. My point is to affirm "Hammock Engineer" and "Earthjourney" and remind everyone that you must follow your own path and live in the now. Whatever that "One Thing" is that makes you passionate, you must do it now. I think the key is to be responsible and then it shouldn't matter what you decide to do, it is your life and you should live it however you see fit. I am trying to do just that. I have most of my gear and I am planning on $5000 for my time away. That will cover the few expenses I will leave behind and my food and supplies for the trip.

bido7614
10-04-2006, 21:52
Hey everyone thanks.. I can make that much by march i way stoked now not as much worried.. :) But I will talk to you later..
Do any of you have recomendations for a water filter? i dont understand the whole concept on which one is good and which ones not..
Lissie..

WhoAh
10-04-2006, 22:36
Lissie -

That's a question that is going to get many varied opinions....

I use the MSR Waterworks, which is one of the heavier and somewhat slower of the filters. It's tough, I can disassemble it easily for cleaning, the filter lasts dang near forever, and it would stop .357 bullet - well, almost anyway. I've dropped this thing several times, and it just keeps on filtering.

I'm not big on using the chemicals - iodine, bleach, even AuqaMira to treat water, and I had one of the Katadin filters die on the second day of a hike.

I am sure others are going to chirp in with their opinions as well...

Panzer1
10-05-2006, 00:27
Also include 401K money that will not be saved, pension and social security money not earned.

Panzer