PDA

View Full Version : Which hat: Baseball or Boonie?

Jonnycat
08-12-2006, 22:12
I'm trying to decide what kind of hat to bring on an upcoming trip (PCT thru-hike), and I am hoping for your perspective on what works for you. I've always used a ball cap; it stays on through wind and obstacles,, is adjustable, and shades the eyes from the sun,

I've been thinking, however, of switching over to a boonie-style hat; it has the added function of a sweat-band, and the continuous brim would permit me to attach some bug netting around the perimeter (which would drape down away from the skin), as well as provide some more shielding from the sun in the back. It is cotton, though, which I'm not thrilled about if/when it gets wet.

What do you use, and what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Alligator
08-12-2006, 22:22
I'm trying to decide what kind of hat to bring on an upcoming trip (PCT thru-hike), and I am hoping for your perspective on what works for you. I've always used a ball cap; it stays on through wind and obstacles,, is adjustable, and shades the eyes from the sun,

I've been thinking, however, of switching over to a boonie-style hat; it has the added function of a sweat-band, and the continuous brim would permit me to attach some bug netting around the perimeter (which would drape down away from the skin), as well as provide some more shielding from the sun in the back. It is cotton, though, which I'm not thrilled about if/when it gets wet.

What do you use, and what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks.I prefer a boonie type hat. That is, something that has a brim all the way around. I like it for the same reasons, bug netting and sun, but feel the sweat band is somewhat limited. Get something besides cotton, so it dries out. Under the canopy, I use a bandana as a headband because it is cooler.

fiddlehead
08-12-2006, 22:33
For the first 800 miles of the PCT, it is going to be hot.
So, when i hiked it, i wore a straw hat for that part and switched to a ball cap when i got to kennedy mead.
The wind is definitely a factor and i added a string to keep it on my head in the wind. But it is nice to have that air flowing thru the hat and the cooling effect it provides.
I learned from watching Mexicans and Thai's in hot climates and what they wear when they are out there working in those temps and sun all day.
I would wear the same kind of hat again.

saimyoji
08-12-2006, 22:34
I rarely wear a hat, but I prefer my ranger-style (like a boonie I guess) synthetic hat. You can attach a bug net, you can roll it up (no beak to get in the way), if it gets wet the whole thing will dry normally (no cardboard beak to rot/get moldy) and it provides side shading not just in front.

YMMV

toddhiker
Jonnycat,

I prefer the boonie for precisely the reasons you mention.

My favorite is made by Outdoor Designs (can't find it anymore) and I also have one by Columbia. There are a few advantages these have over cotton boonies, though.

1) Mine are supplex, so they're lighter & don't soak up H2O like a sponge, &
2) the veritcal "sides" of the boonie are made of something similar to noseeum mesh: superior ventilation to any other hat I've had.

Enjoy your trip.

toddhiker

FanaticFringer
Boonie hat from Sportmans Guide. Cheap and offers great sun protection.

neo
08-12-2006, 23:01
i love my camo boonie hat:cool: neo

map man
08-12-2006, 23:12
I wear an all nylon boonie style hat. When it gets really hot I dip the whole hat in creeks or streams and use it to cool down my head and neck, instead of a bandana.

SGT Rock
08-12-2006, 23:13
Boonie in sunny places, baseball in woods like the AT.

Rockman1
08-13-2006, 00:14
I wear a hat by Capsmith (no idea if it is still available) that looks like a baseball hat from front view but trails down my neck in back. I go to extremes to protect the back of my neck from the sun.

mrc237
08-13-2006, 06:36
Heed Fiddlehead, get the biggest brimmed hat you can find then switch at KM

LostInSpace
08-13-2006, 09:30
My US Army boonie is made from a cotton polyester blend fabric that dries very fast when wet. It cost $10. I soaked it and put it back on when the temp was 100+ in the desert. In the woods, I wear a TNF nylon baseball style cap.

bigcranky
08-13-2006, 09:53
Hemp Tilley hat. In the Southwest, I can dip it in the spring and put it on my head, and the evaporative cooling is like a mini air conditioner. Plus the wide brim shades my head. On the AT in summer I wear a nylon ball cap, because there is no such thing as evaporative cooling -- it's just too durn humid.

Kerosene
08-13-2006, 10:22
I've always used a ball cap for the AT, preferring a very light nylon Mountain Hardwear version with a plastic brim that isn't affected by water.

I've considered a boonie hat for sunny, hot weather hiking but have never pulled the trigger. I found the Vineyard Haven Storm Hat (http://www.watership.com/main.php?navarea=Hats&code1=HVN&code=MEB&season=Fall/Winter) on-line after reading a review somewhere. It comes in a variety of fabrics, including canvas, nylon, and even eVENT.

Jonnycat
08-13-2006, 11:05
Thanks a ton for all of the responses; I've got a lot of good considerations to make my decision from. Thanks!

dloome
08-13-2006, 14:02
I'm doing the PCT next year too. Here's what I like to wear in very hot/sunny weather: GoLite mesh running cap with a white cotton bandana covering my ears and neck. The hat is very light and synthetic, wicks very well, the cotton bandana can be wet down and helps to cool you down and is also removable when you just want to wear the ball cap in town or wherever you don't need the sun protection. Weighs a lot less than a full brimmed cap, more versatile.

Jonnycat
08-13-2006, 16:13
Interesting setup there, Bleach. I like it!

FLHiker
08-13-2006, 16:15
synthetic beenie. - I carry an SLR camara, and find it's easier to shoot with a beenie then a baseball hat.

oh, and for all of the above reasons!!

Jeff

max patch
08-13-2006, 16:29
I use a kayak head gasket. Very light and takes up almost no room.

saimyoji
08-13-2006, 16:38
Why not try a pith helmet? :banana

FLHiker
08-13-2006, 16:47
Why not try a pith helmet? :banana

Hey - Watch the language!!! This is a family forum!!:D :D

Dances with Mice
08-13-2006, 17:12
??????????Thome people didn't underthtand the joke.

FLHiker
08-13-2006, 17:15
Lol ! ! ! ! ! ! !

RockyTrail
08-13-2006, 17:24
US Military surplus boonie hat, light tan, cotton-poly blend. Works great, can sit on them, crush'em up, dip in water, even wash it at home. Find them new at surplus stores for $8-$10.

Gray Blazer
08-14-2006, 10:26
Wear a FL Gator hat. Very popular in TN!

Footslogger
08-14-2006, 10:45
For me it depends on whether or not there will be a lot of tree cover where I'm hiking and the weather in general.

Most often I carry/wear a lightweight quick dry nylon bal cap with mesh sides (Mtn Hardware). I also have an extremely light weight/foldable boonie hat (Columbia) that I have started to carry on most if not all trips. It's well ventillated and if there is no top cover from trees and the sun is really shining I will often change over to the boonie hat.

'Slogger

TN_Hiker
08-14-2006, 11:13
Wear a FL Gator hat. Very popular in TN!

Yeah right........you better not being expecting an hitch from a non-hiker local. Of course you can play safe in all of the southern states and just wear the big number 3 on your hat.

GO VOLS!!!!!!

Gray Blazer
08-14-2006, 11:30
Of course you can play safe in all of the southern states and just wear the big number 3 on your hat.

Good compromise!

Ewker
08-14-2006, 11:35
who or what is number 3

hammock engineer
08-14-2006, 11:36
who or what is number 3

I take it you have never watched NASCAR. It is Dale Enhearts number.

Ewker
08-14-2006, 12:32
your right I never have. I have heard of the guy though. Just didn't know that was his number

Gray Blazer
08-14-2006, 12:39
I was on 'Thunder Road' this summer. (And no, that doesn't mean I had just left Erwin Burrito).

FLHiker
08-14-2006, 12:47
This is the hat I prefere to Hike in. click here (http://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/20/coyote_fur_hat.html). Usually have the shelters and camp sites to myself.

Hammerhead
08-14-2006, 16:30
This is the hat I prefere to Hike in. click here (http://www.boingboing.net/2005/12/20/coyote_fur_hat.html). Usually have the shelters and camp sites to myself.

and hostles, and hotels, and stores, and public spaces.....:D

Jonnycat
08-14-2006, 20:07
Thanks to everyone for all of the feedback. I ended up sewing some terrycloth from a towel to the inside front of the brim for a sweatband, and also made a neck shader thingy for my existing hat for the time being.

The neck shader is cut out of an old shirt I had (60/40); it has a slot for the rear adjuster on the hat to slide through (where the pencil is in the picture), and some small pieces of velcro on the ends so I can take it off when it's not needed.

http://jonnycats.home.comcast.net/NeckShader01.jpg
http://jonnycats.home.comcast.net/NeckShader02.jpg

FLHiker
08-14-2006, 20:27
I have to say, I'm disapointed that you did not go with the authentic full-body coyote Mountain Man Hat.

To each his own. :D

Jonnycat
08-14-2006, 22:33
I have to say, I'm disapointed that you did not go with the authentic full-body coyote Mountain Man Hat.

To each his own. :D

Well, FLHiker, let me tell 'ya something. I think that full-body coyote hat you showed me is an incredibly nice hat. Further, it a man of sufficient character would look striking in such a fine

-However-

My personal philosophy concerning a full-body coyote hat is that it needs to have a story associated with it, and I daresay that the story should be more than, "I bought it online." :D

-That having been said-

I'd settle for one of these fine hats (http://crockettcoonskincaps.tripod.com/tailcaps.html) purchased online; go ahead and get it in size Large for me, and thanks. ;)

hammock engineer
08-14-2006, 23:05
The story should read something like,

"he walked into camp and tried to steal me ramen. I had to kill him to stop him. Since the rule is if you kill it you have to eat it. I had him for diner. In keeping with backpacking mentaility, I did not want to waste anything. So I made this hat as a warning to all of the other animals in the forest. Stay away from my ramen!"

Or something to that effect.

FLHiker
08-15-2006, 19:39
Well, FLHiker, let me tell 'ya something. I think that full-body coyote hat you showed me is an incredibly nice hat. Further, it a man of sufficient character would look striking in such a fine

-However-

My personal philosophy concerning a full-body coyote hat is that it needs to have a story associated with it, and I daresay that the story should be more than, "I bought it online." :D

-That having been said-

I'd settle for one of these fine hats (http://crockettcoonskincaps.tripod.com/tailcaps.html) purchased online; go ahead and get it in size Large for me, and thanks. ;)

I'll come up with something - I always do ;)

It's funny 'cause both my brothers and I had Daniel Boone hats like that when we were young. Lots of fun terrorizing the neighborhood in them!

Gray Blazer
08-16-2006, 08:03
I'm disappointed you did not choose the coyote hat. Do you ever watch the 3 stooges? There's one western episode where Curly, I swear, wears a similar hat made from skunk. Now talk about a man of sufficient character.

TwoForty
08-20-2006, 17:03
I recently spent some time in the Sierra and after playing around, I found that I prefer a Precip hat with a bandana under it for the sun. It may be hot in the Mojave though, but not as hot as a Goretex sombrero.
When using a cotton bucket hat, I found it actually did good in rain. It got soaked, but I stayed dry. I just didn't like how it seemed to get in the way of the views!

FanaticFringer
01-13-2007, 02:20
Been researching sun hats for awhile and I bought one from this company. The Oblong sun hat. Some of the widest and best looking hats I've seen.
And a cottage industry is always nice to support.

FanaticFringer
01-13-2007, 02:22
Here's the link:

www.gottahavahat.com

Wanderingson
01-13-2007, 04:12
I like my tin foil hat

highway
01-13-2007, 07:36
I stopped using a hat. I found few really had enough cover to protect my glasses from rain or sun. I looked for something else

I started using an Ex Officio visor for a number of years. Its 'duck bill', so has lots of cover to keep rain from my glasses and sun from my eyes, plus it has a sweatband inside. If the temperature drops I can tie my large 34"x34" silk bandanna to my head and slip visor over it. That keeps enough of my heat in to warm me considerably. Obviously, if hot, just visor is worn. Also, I can flow the bandanna down my back for additional sun protection, with the visor keeping it firmly on my head. And, being a natural material it functions great as a towel and dries, once wrung out, in about 15 minutes in the sun.

What I never use it for is as a potholder. I burned a hole in my last one.

The best ones are quite cheap on the 'net, surprisingly enough, as well as being much thicker than the very thin boutique scarves (too dam@^d feminine)usually offered. Mine is a full 12 mm. I bought it for about $5 here:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1540-AA.shtml?lnav=scarves_silk.html

I guess if i were going on the PCT, facing the desert I'd not dye it, keeping it the lighter,natural color. But I dyed mine a nice olive to keep it subdued some.

My so, though, still likes his floppy billed OR hat. Head wear is like foot wear-very personal:cool:

nitewalker
01-13-2007, 09:53
Boston Red Sox Baseball Cap Is Definitly The Number 1 Choice..camoflauge Welders Hat Is Another Choice..dunk Em Both In A River And Walla, Brrr Down Yor Whole Spine.....

4eyedbuzzard
01-13-2007, 10:11
I like my tin foil hat

We planted that thought in your head.:D

oldfivetango
01-13-2007, 10:14
who or what is number 3

Let's put it this way.My wife,the public elementary school
teacher,has her kids learn to count like this:
one,two,Earnhardt,four.....................
and on graduation they are elligible for a collectible
plate if they have an A average!
Cheers,
Oldfivetango

4eyedbuzzard
01-13-2007, 10:37
I'm disappointed you did not choose the coyote hat. Do you ever watch the 3 stooges? There's one western episode where Curly, I swear, wears a similar hat made from skunk. Now talk about a man of sufficient character.

I'm voting for Ralph Kramden's Raccoon Lodge hat. "Woo-woo".:)

4eyedbuzzard
01-13-2007, 10:41
Let's put it this way.My wife,the public elementary school
teacher,has her kids learn to count like this:
one,two,Earnhardt,four...

In Detroit they have a similar system. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Malcolm.;)

Gray Blazer
01-13-2007, 13:03
There already is an official hat for the AT. Search for official AT hat.

Gray Blazer
01-13-2007, 13:57
There already is an official hat for the AT. Search for official AT hat.
Or look at the 1st photo in my gallery. Long story.

Gray Blazer
01-13-2007, 13:58
In Detroit they have a similar system. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Malcolm.;)
I thought that was for roman numerals.:banana