PDA

View Full Version : Water versus Gatorade Type Drinks

Takoda
08-13-2006, 14:34
While backpacking in VA, I was unfortunately caught in the heat wave that crossed our country in early August. I relied strickly on water to replenish fluid loss due to sweating. Perhaps it's just age, but at the end of each day I was suffering from dehydration; even though I made an effort to drink water every fifteen minutes.

Has anyone used water mixed with gatorade powder or something similar instead of water to replenish fluid? In your opinion did it work better than water?

:-?

shades of blue
08-13-2006, 14:46
I'm a big fan on the gatorade mix. On really hot days I will mix at least one liter of the stuff (I drink many liters in a day). You also need to listen to your body when it tells you to rest though...especially in the heat of mid day. Hiking early and late while taking a break in the middle of the day is a good strategy for beating the heat.

FLHiker
08-13-2006, 16:11
If I'm strugling, I put a pouch of Emergen"C" in my water (I don't like the taste, so I usually also put a pouch of my trusty crystal light in with it too - great replenisher, anti-cramp, and comes in nice single serving pouches.

Does Gatorade make single serving pouches like crystal lite and the others?

Jeff

saimyoji
08-13-2006, 16:41
Tang single serves are actually cheaper than the big powder keg. There are also now "caffeinated breakfast beverages" (I forget the actual name, but this was the description on the box) being sold at Wally World. You mix it into 12 oz of water. Several fruit flavors, and there is a mixed box.
Haven't tried it so I don't know if its any good.

Peak2Peak
08-13-2006, 17:05
I usually use two packs of Cytomax per day (one pack per liter) and alternate with a liter of regular water. Keeps the electrolytes replenished. Too much plain water or too much powdered mix can throw off the balance in your bloodstream, so its good to alternate. That's what the marathon runners say they do.

neo
08-13-2006, 17:48
While backpacking in VA, I was unfortunately caught in the heat wave that crossed our country in early August. I relied strickly on water to replenish fluid loss due to sweating. Perhaps it's just age, but at the end of each day I was suffering from dehydration; even though I made an effort to drink water every fifteen minutes.

Has anyone used water mixed with gatorade powder or something similar instead of water to replenish fluid? In your opinion did it work better than water?

i am diabetic,i use gator aid to keep my blood sugar out of the hole:cool: neo

Tweety
08-13-2006, 18:11
I was never much of a sports drink drinker, but during my 2002 thru hike found that they were a great help. I got somewhat dehydrated in PA while we had very hot temps and drought conditions. During that time I found out what a difference they made in how I felt. I didn't regulary carry the powder, but always grabbed 32 oz. when I got into town and when I left sometimes taking it with me. Also, I found that with the powder I could enjoy it by the cup or two for a small treat with dinner. Using an entire envelope in the nalgene caused mold, so I really didn't like using it that way. I will be hiking in a couple of weeks for a few days and plan on taking a couple of small envelopes with me. Happy hiking.

Smile
08-13-2006, 18:22
I dig the EmergenC stuff too. Gatorade has too much sugar, and that makes one more thirsty - at least for me it does. It does have electrolytes, or so they say.

Here's a similar question on a site I saw:

Mike: I have a question for you on water -- a lot of people think that they are hydrating themselves when they consume soft drinks or milk or Gatorade or all these other liquid beverages…

Dr. B: Gatorade is possibly okay, but Gatorade has sugar in it, and it's not particularly good for people who might even get hypoglycemic, or might induce insulin secretion, and that insulin secretion will produce more hunger and they overeat. But as a temporary sport drink, it's okay when you're in the middle of a golf game to drink a Gatorade. It immediately gives you a bit of the minerals that you probably will have lost sweating.

But nothing substitutes for water -- not a thing. No drink -- no coffee, no tea, no alcoholic beverages. Not even fruit juices. Each one of them has its own agenda. Your body is used to a fluid that has no agenda, because the body depends on the freedom of that fluid, water, because there are two kinds of water in the body. There is already occupied and engaged water, which is no good for new function. The body needs new water, or free water, to perform new functions. Now, when you give them sugar containing beverages, or caffeine containing beverages, both sugar and caffeine have their own chemical agenda in the body. They defeat the purpose of the need for water.

Source of this info: http://www.newstarget.com/001959.html

And more info for those who drink soda, especially while hiking. http://www.newstarget.com/004416.html

The Solemates
08-14-2006, 09:43

Used to do that all the time-Kool-aid, gatorade, tang-but then I realized I was more thirsty after drinking these than if I had drank water. The sugar residue left in my mouth always had me yearning for more. Now I just stick with water and it seems to quench my thirst better.

Ewker
08-14-2006, 09:48
on the trail I drink water but when I get to camp I use a product called Replenish. It is like Gatorade but not as sweet, IMO. It comes in the little pouches so you can mix it with 16 oz of water.

Frosty
08-14-2006, 09:54
Used to do that all the time-Kool-aid, gatorade, tang-but then I realized I was more thirsty after drinking these than if I had drank water. The sugar residue left in my mouth always had me yearning for more. Now I just stick with water and it seems to quench my thirst better.My experience also (thirsty afterwards) but look at this as a good thing. I never drink enough water, never think to drink. My thirst is easily quenched, even when my body really needs more. So the unquenched thirst has me drinking more water and I don't have to continually think "how long since I drank?"

Backwards, I know, but it works for me :D

kyhiker1
08-14-2006, 10:06

:-?For myself personally,I like the emergen-C products.Doesnt taste very good,but helps out tremendously.

peanuts
08-14-2006, 12:22
I use Electro-Mix, its made by the same company that produces Emergen-C. It just has a slight lemon-lime flavor, no sugar...
It works great!!!

Footslogger
08-14-2006, 12:24
I use Electro-Mix, its made by the same company that produces Emergen-C. It just has a slight lemon-lime flavor, no sugar...
It works great!!!

=================================
Found out about this stuff just a short while ago. One packet makes a liter of drink and I pour a packet of the Emergen-C in to the mix. Notice a definite difference in energy levels ...especially in the late afternoon on those $#&!@ uphills.

'Slogger

FLHiker
08-14-2006, 12:34
For myself personally,I like the emergen-C products.Doesnt taste very good,but helps out tremendously.

It's pretty dang good if you add a pouch of Crystal Light Raspberry Ice.

In case anyone hasn't discovered crystal light - it has absolutely no nutritional value - so it doesn't effect your diet in any way - only flavor, but helps make marginal water drinkable (still have to filter it - but from a taste standpoint.)

twosticks
08-14-2006, 16:22
I was wondering about this the other day from a dibetic standpoint. I'm not a big fan of sacchrin (sp?) or the other stuff. It gives me a head ache and heartburn. On the other hand, too much sugar is bad for everyone. You get that taste in your mouth, makes you more thirsty. Has anyone heard of an energy drink that uses splenda? Not only would this be a a benefit for people needing a boost, but also it would contain about the same amount of powder as those crystal light packets. I know from doing a week long bike ride where I used cytomax, it took up a lot of space and it went fast.

Jack Tarlin
08-14-2006, 16:31
I'm a Gatorade fiend when I hike, and have recently added Emergency-C packets to my pack, the ones fortified with Glucosamine and Vitamin C.

That being said, I still feel that the best all-around beverage for most folks is
fresh, clean water, and lots of it.

RockyTrail
08-14-2006, 16:35
I read an article recently that said sports drinks like Gatorade, etc. are actually more harmful to your tooth enamel than soft drinks like Pepsi, etc.
In fact they recommended that if you are a long term chronic user it is better to chug them than sip them for this reason.
Ironically, I like sports drinks better than soft drinks because they don't taste as sweet.

Sorry, I don't have the reference, just something to think about...has anybody else seen this?

Footslogger
08-14-2006, 16:40
I read an article recently that said sports drinks like Gatorade, etc. are actually more harmful to your tooth enamel than soft drinks like Pepsi, etc.
In fact they recommended that if you are a long term chronic user it is better to chug them than sip them for this reason.
Ironically, I like sports drinks better than soft drinks because they don't taste as sweet.

Sorry, I don't have the reference, just something to think about...has anybody else seen this?
===============================

That's one of the big side benefits of products like Electro-Mix. It contains no sugars ...just the balanced electrolytes. The absense of sugar also makes it lighter and the packaging makes it more convenient to carry and mix.

'Slogger

nicodemus
08-15-2006, 23:43
yep...the cytomax is the best I have tried...but I still alternate it with H2o, just to make it go farther. Gookinade is another good one. Does anyone like the gels, I know they are heavy ( for the gram counters ) but they are an awesome form of quick energy. I used the power gel strawberry/banana w/ caffiene coming out of the Grand Canyon and I sh#t you not, I shaved almost an hour off of my best time hiking out of that crack in the earth. If you don't mind the weight of them in your pack they ROCK!!!

lonehiker
08-16-2006, 01:08
When I do drink gatorade, which isn't often, I simply reduce the amount called for in the directions. About half is what I use. Find that this works well for me. But, I generally just drink plain water.

twosticks
08-16-2006, 11:21
The gels do indeed kick a$$. I wouldn't want to live off of them, but considering it gives you 130 calories in that tiny little packet, it's not bad for the weight.

vipahman
08-16-2006, 11:31
I pack Gatorade packets with my food suuply. I usually use 2 packets per day. And since I replaced my Nalgenes with Platypus' with a hydration pipe, water is always accessible, like in the middle of an ascent. Plus I also carry 2 gel shots per day on a carabiner for that additional energy kick.

I think the main advantage is the hydration pipe that keeps it all handy. I used to hate it but will not hike without it anymore.

Rouen
08-19-2006, 15:52
I was watching a medical show the other day, they had 4 "lab rats"(humans) running on treadmills all drinking different things and asked them how they felt after 7 miles, then had them run another mile racing eachother on a track, the guy they gave gatorade to "won" as he was getting back everything he put out, water came in 2nd, orange juice in 3rd and energy drinks last, energy drinks are caffine and sugar, so you really aren't getting what you need, orange juice is the same way.
I think that if you balance between water and your sports drink you'll be fine, it's also recomended that unless you are going to be sweating alot that you try to avoid drinking too much of any sports drink and just go with water, otherwise you're not losing anything that you need to replace.

mweinstone
08-19-2006, 17:11
alicer, the maker of emercen"c" makes lots of different little packs other than ""c". the one im holding in front of me is the worlds only matthewski approved water additive. ELECTRO MIX.get it or die fools. come to think of it,.. die anyway. just for fun. then come back and make some electro mix. or your a fool.did i forget to say period? period.

Blue Sky II
08-20-2006, 09:12
Takoda,
Many carry both water and drink mix. I carry a pint bottle of water and a pint bottle of diluted Cytomax. Drink mix bottles, containers, and hoses tend to slime-up real fast in the summer so bring something to kill the growth.

Cuffs
09-11-2006, 16:51
I am a big fan of Gatorade (too bad it had to come from such a crummy school!) After bushwhacking my farm, I have found that the Gatorade makes me feel better and I can work longer than just drinking plain water.

I have also heard that it is good to dilute Gatorade to about 1/2 strength for those of us who are not "full-time" (ie: pro/college) athletes. I think that would take away the sweetness/sugar taste for many.

I hadnt heard of the Electro Mix, but did a quick search and found: http://www.smartbomb.com/076314301089.html (http://www.smartbomb.com/076314301089.html)

I like the fact that it doesnt have sugar or sodium.

Tinker
09-11-2006, 17:19
In March, when I headed to Georgia to do the Georgia section, I carried GU2O (which was all REI had on hand). I didn't like the tast of near as much (I suppose you like what you're used to), but it did the job. I carry a Gatorade bottle (I start with a full one) and drink that in the morning. When that's gone, I switch over to straight water (in the heat of the day), or a diluted solution of the powdered drinks mentioned above. It's important not to use these in a hydration bladder as they are great food for bacteria and mold, and it's especially difficult to clean the hose and bite valve of a hydration system. When I carry one in the summer, it only sees water.
Too much sugar can be tough on the digestive system, that's why I don't drink the energy drinks full strength during the heat of the day.