PDA

View Full Version : Boot Inserts

EarlyBird2007
08-14-2006, 08:11
I went on a two day hike with my new Asolo Fugitives last weekend. I did 38 miles total. It went very well generally. Late into the second day, the soles of my feet started complaining, especially the balls of my feet. No blisters, just sore. I use plenty of petroleum jelly on them. Would inserts help with this? Any suggestions as to which brand to use? Thanks in advance.

StarLyte
08-14-2006, 09:08
I went on a two day hike with my new Asolo Fugitives last weekend. I did 38 miles total. It went very well generally. Late into the second day, the soles of my feet started complaining, especially the balls of my feet. No blisters, just sore. I use plenty of petroleum jelly on them. Would inserts help with this? Any suggestions as to which brand to use? Thanks in advance.

Hey Early Bird.....
Besides preaching esbit :rolleyes: ...I stress the need for insoles for the section hiker.

I'm a section hiker and my feet are not conditioned for constant hiking. I use Dr. Scholl's high impact insoles. I have good hiking shoes too. Once you use these, you'll never go without them. Try any of their products. Be good to your feet.

mrc237
08-14-2006, 09:41
You can spend mucho $$$ on insoles or do this : go to any Dollar or store like that buy a pair of those cheap canvas shoes the kind with the elastic on the sides take out the inner sole - use it. Be sure to buy a size or two smaller and put under existing inner sole. Can even use the innersoleless shoes as campies.

icemanat95
08-14-2006, 09:50
Question: What is the pain like? Is it a big hot spot on the bottom of your foot or is it a deep ache?

Your boots are probably too tight across the forefoot. This squeezes the bones of your forefoot together and puts a lot of stress on the nerves, tendons, etc. there.

Factory insoles are, as a whole, absolute crap. They begin to compress beyond usefullness within hours of starting hiking. I ALWAYS recommend a good aftermarket insole...just plan it into the purchase price.

My personal choice used to be Spenco Hiker or Runner insoles. Now I use Sore Dawg insoles. The Spencos have more cushion, the Sore Dawgs offer more structure to support high arches like mine. You may need to spend some significant money finding the right insole for you, purchasing several types and trying them on during your hikes.

An issue to consider is the volume that the aftermarket insoles may take away from the inside of the boot. If the forefoot of your boots is already tightish (as I suspect), a bulky insole like the Spencos, may make the problem worse.

I bought a pari of Merrells a number of years ago that did the same thing to me. The first day they were great, the next day, every step felt like someone was taking a ball-peen hammer to the ball of my foot.

Ewker
08-14-2006, 09:52
at Trail Days 2005 Superfeet had a huge booth there. I got a pair of custom insoles for my boots from them. No foot/back problems since.

Time To Fly 97
08-14-2006, 10:04
Your boots are probably too tight across the forefoot. This squeezes the bones of your forefoot together and puts a lot of stress on the nerves, tendons, etc. there.

I ALWAYS recommend a good aftermarket insole...just plan it into the purchase price.

Iceman is right on. Definitly go with aftermarket insoles. Try loosening your boot laces above the balls of your feet.

I use Superfeet and Thorlo hikers (thick socks) with Merrill boots.

Happy hiking!

TTF