PDA

View Full Version : virtual frame in jam pack

altut
08-14-2006, 12:55
Does anyone think it would be possible to use a section of ridge rest against the pack of the pack, possibly sewn on, to act as a virtual frame in a Jam pack. I would do this instead of using an entire rolled up pad. I use a hammock and am thinking about getting an underquilt instead of a pad. In my mind this would work if the pack was packed real tight. any one with any sort of experience. i just dont want to fool with carrying the entire pad if i dont need it.

frequency
08-14-2006, 19:46
have a Jam and all you need is enough virtual height to stiffen it to the extent you don't want the cylinder of the pack to deform...section should do it...cut the sucker and try it...if it doesn't work then ducttape it back together...or go to walyworld and get a$6 section of cheap blue pad to do the same... I have a section of the cheapblue pad rolled up in my Jam to erect the cylinder and use it as a barrier in my HHammock...seems to work so far but needs more testing under a variety of conditions...

dloome
08-14-2006, 23:16
I use the Jam. You can't fit enough weight in there where you'd actually need frame support anyway, I don't see the point of the rolled up pad thing. The included back pad does an adequate job of keeping junk from poking you, IMO that's all you need. I removed the foam back pad and use my Gossamer Gear pad folded up back there instead. Just pack it carefully so stuff doesn't poke you, skip the sleeping pad back there if you don't use one.

Willyo
06-04-2007, 22:11
I would just take it on a long day hike with no pad and see how it goes - i have the pinnacle and use the same cylinder of blue ccf someone else described - but i then sleep on the blue ccf after -- i wouldn't add weight just to add stiffness you're not even sure you need..