PDA

View Full Version : How many people who finished skipped the approach trail?

the_iceman
08-14-2006, 13:34
It seems like anyone sho skips the approach trail is already looking for shortcuts. I know the trail does not start until the summit but it has more to do with tradition.

I wonder how many people who skipped the 8.8 miles made it to the Big K?

the goat
08-14-2006, 13:37
i skipped the approach trail, but then again i also go sobo.

Footslogger
08-14-2006, 13:40
Does it count if you did the approach trail 4 - 5 times in advance of your thru and then just went ahead and started at Springer.

Cuz ...that's what I did in 2003 and I made it to Katahdin.

'Slogger

frieden
08-14-2006, 13:51
We have no intention of doing the approach trail. We do plan on adding some mileage with side trips and blue blazes, in order to see the sights. Not looking for any shortcuts, just want to enjoy the hike.

Time To Fly 97
08-14-2006, 14:21
I originally hadn't planned on doing the approach trail...but it was meant to be.

Due to delayed baggage (my pack) at the Atlanta airport, missing my shuttle to the trail and me exaggerating a lawsuit with Continental Airlines, I had a very unique arrival to the trail. Continental Airlines limoed me to the trail in a big black streeeeetch limo - which was pretty hysterical considering I was in my hiking clothes and the only luggage in the trunk was my backpack. I was talking with the driver who was like 12 feet away - which like something out of a Quentin Tarantino movie.

The only problem was that the driver didn't know how to get to FS 42 and my AT trail map didn't have the radius to cover the surrounding roads. So...he ended up dropping me off at the beginning of the approach trail. I stayed in that shelter the first night. The next morning I headed up the approach trail, and knew that the first chapter of a wild journey had begun.

One memory of the approach trail I have is sitting on a log on the trail about halfway up dumping out every liquid I could find (toothpaste, medical kit stuff, etc.) to get rid of weight. I was thinking to myself, "Holy flamp...and this is just the approach trail..."

Looking back on it, the approach trail is a rite of initiation and it makes arrival on Springer even more exciting.

What is very funny as you hike the approach trail... and you brought too much weight, and your pack doesn't feel comfortable yet, your thighs are burning from the climb, and you didn't know to drink enough... is this moment when you notice actual gear that other hikers have jetisoned from their packs (even sleeping bags!)... and you realize that you SO aren't alone.

My non-painful hiking didn't start until I left Walasi-Yi with a tarp and lekis after sending 16 pounds of unnecessary stuff home. Those first days with the approach trail, Tray mountain and Blood mountain... just had me dilirious with exhaustion.

Everyone's AT story is different - I wouldn't have changed a thing, especially hiking the approach trail.

Happy hiking!

TTF

gravityman
08-14-2006, 15:04
2001 - Gravityman and Tuffie (although we didn't have trail names at that point) Hiked approach trail because we were told that's what tradition required. Didn't make it because we were too rigid and didn't want to spend too much time in town, because that's just too easy, but we should have in order to heal a few key problems (GI issues and foot neuromas) but instead punished outselves until they got too bad to ignore.

2005 - Gravity and Danger (renamed from Tuffie) didn't hike approach trail because we were older and wiser. We made it the whole way without blue blazing (other than shelter loops) but we did it our way and made it just fine.

Doing or not going the approach is most likely inconsequential to finishing the trail.

Gravity

gravityman
08-14-2006, 15:08
Doing or not going the approach is most likely inconsequential to finishing the trail.

Gravity

Oh, but my point was, the mindset that lead us to think that we "HAD" to hike the approach was probably the main reason we didn't finish. We were listen to others, essentially hiking other people's hikes, rather than listening to what we wanted, and hiking our own hike. We made it to WV, 1000 miles in, and we were done in from extended injuries. In 2005 we did what we felt was the right thing, and it made the world of difference. We started again at Springer, and this time made it the whole way!

Gravity and Danger

The Solemates
08-14-2006, 15:23
Does it count if you did the approach trail 4 - 5 times in advance of your thru and then just went ahead and started at Springer.

Cuz ...that's what I did in 2003 and I made it to Katahdin.

'Slogger

ditto for us.

Jack Tarlin
08-14-2006, 16:25
At one point I thought that skipping the Approach Trail was probably a bad thing, and that it set a bad precedent. I felt that from a psychological point of view, looking for ways to "cut corners" or make it easier on ones self from the fvery irst day of your trip onwards was a bad attitude to embrace.

In retrospect, tho, hikers are ALWAYS looking for ways to make it easier on themselves, whether it's making sure they're in really good shape when their
trip begins; or taking the time and trouble to purchase lighter-weight gear; or whether it's searching their packs months into their trips for tiny little things they can do without.

In short, hikers are constantly looking for ways to make things a bit less difficult.

It's probably healthier psychologically (in terms of feeling that you've achieved something significant) to hike Springer from bottom to top, instead of going round back, hiking a mile, and tagging the plaque at the summit, but as to whether or not doing the Approach Trail improves your chances of completion, I'd agree ith Gravityman.

I don't think it matters much at all, and in that a lot of folks suffer thru the first few days on the Trail as it is, perhaps starting the first day's hike with a few pounds less of supplies might not be such a bad idea after all.

On the other hand, I know people whose best friends on the Trail were folks they met at the Springer Mountain shelter. Overnighting on Springer and starting from the summit first thing the next morning is a pretty cool thing to do, and those that skip the Approach Trail generally don't do this.

But to each their own.

WalkinHome
08-14-2006, 17:09
Didn't count didn't do it-summited 30 Sep 2000

the_iceman
08-14-2006, 19:07
Thanks for all the feedback. Also, I was not implying that not doing the approach trail diminished the overall hike, I was more looking for state of mind when starting and how that translated in to sucess, if at all.

rumbler
08-14-2006, 19:20
Wanted to do it, but an overly impressive ice storm convinced me to stay at the Lodge in a warm bed with a wee bit of whiskey and companionship for just one more night packed silly with creature comforts instead. A decision which I blissfully look back on with fond if somewhat hazy memories.

It WAS a bit wierd jogging (or wheezingly stumbling) up Springer, snapping a photo, and then lurching back down Springer to head north, as Jack points out.

At some point I will do the approach trail - maybe when I go out for a November hike this year. Might see if I can join the SOBO's for a week and hit the approach trail on the backside. Had I done it on my thru it may have convinced me to abandon the trail and see a doctor or a mortician before I ever got started. In fact - true story - my training regimen of consuming large quantities of enchiladas and beer - which I adhered to religiously - had me so prepared for the trail that I was winded and gasping for air walking up the two flights of wooden stairs by the falls. Tourists were practically asking me if I needed assistance. I would have snatched a cane from an elderly woman who was viewing the falls as well except I couldn't catch her.

So scratch that "wanted to do it" sentence. And stay in the Lodge. :)

Blissful
08-14-2006, 19:50
I wasn't going to do the Approach Trail for my 2007 thru, but since reading posts here on a thread aobut it a while back and considering it takes time to adapt, might as well start adapting right off with Approach Trail! I just believe now it's part of the experience - like the trail that goes to the base camp before the Mt Everest approach, he he

But hey - if you've already done the Approach, that's like sectioning a part of the trail IMO. We are sectioning part of VA which we will then skip over in 2007 so we can summit the K and get back in time for my son to go to community college.

StarLyte
08-14-2006, 19:57
I was with Miss Janet once and we shuttled 2 hikers back to a trailhead they had exited on several days prior. When they got out of the van they walked across the street, I yelled "HEY----northbound is THAT way!" pointing in the opposite direction.

Miss Janet laughed at me and said.....they're touching the last step they made on the AT, they are "tagging" the AT. Even though it was only 20 steps, they had to actually start where they left off.

So whomever the hiker is---purist, section hiker, myself, I think it just depends on the sentimentality of that hiker.

I have never done the approach trail. Twice I went up from USFS 42, spent a few hours up at the top and then started my journey. Eventually I'll make that historic 8.8 mile trek, but when I'm ready.

Ridge
08-14-2006, 20:19
The wildest way to start a thru hike was the way "JumpStart" did. He parachuted onto the top of Springer, I can't remember the details but I remember he did have more than a few scratches due to the heavy tree cover. I can't think of a wilder way to begin and I've not heard of anyone else doing it. He's probably the only person to ever start from Springer without doing the approach trail or backtracking from the FS road.

fiddlehead
08-14-2006, 20:41
Tradition could mean: hiking in heavy cotton/canvas clothes, leather boots, canvas pup tents, staying in all the shelters ( Ed Garvey) (or at least hiking to them all to check them out), on the PCT tradition would mean doing it on horseback, Tradition sucks: HYOH!

Smile
08-14-2006, 22:48
I do know that it puts the beat down on ones feet - especially newbs who didn't do any prep - this could be a reason for a higher number dropping out early in the year - but don't think it affects the numbers at the Big K, but who knows, it would be an interesting poll ;-)

hammock engineer
08-14-2006, 23:01
I do know that it puts the beat down on ones feet - especially newbs who didn't do any prep - this could be a reason for a higher number dropping out early in the year - but don't think it affects the numbers at the Big K, but who knows, it would be an interesting poll ;-)

That's an interesting point. If someone is going to quit, then they are going to quit. I do not think that 9 more miles over the course of 2100+ really account for anything.

Having said that I will probibly do the approach trail. If for no other reason to make my trip longer, and give me more time hiking.

Ridge
08-14-2006, 23:40
One of the biggest problems with the approach trail out of ASP is a lot of hikers get really bad blisters and end up getting off the trail or holding up in a shelter somewhere close to Springer. Some call it quits right off the bat, some torture themselves and make it to Neel's Gap and then bail. Having boots that are broken-in and trail tested is very, very important.

Nean
08-15-2006, 00:13
It seems like anyone sho skips the approach trail is already looking for shortcuts. I know the trail does not start until the summit but it has more to do with tradition.

I'm wondering who feed you this line of BS. :confused: My guess is some poor yahoo who couldn't get a ride to Springer.;) Walking up from the hotel has nothing to do with reaching Katahdin, nothing to do with tradition. :) Its just a way to pull some greenhorns chain.:eek:

Smile
08-15-2006, 06:21
A trail is either part of the AT or not.

Hike your own hike, and have a great time no matter whether you do the approach or not ;-)

Grampie
08-15-2006, 11:16
Starting my hike I intended not to do the approach trail, but when the taxi driver wanted another $40 to take me up the 42 fire road I changed my mind.
I did the approach trail and spent my first night on the trail at Springer shelter.
If you do the approach trail or not, those who start are doomed to fail. Only about 20 % of those starting finish.:-?

Footslogger
08-15-2006, 11:18
If you do the approach trail or not, those who start are doomed to fail. :-?
=======================================

...and there were many days in 2003 when I felt quite DOOMED !!

'Slogger

icemanat95
08-15-2006, 12:05
I did the approach trail and stayed the night at Springer Shelter With Ski-Pole, Strawberry Shortcake and Freight Train, and Turtle. Trillium and McGyver stayed in their tent with their dog. Pretty vivid memories. A surprising amount of trash off the side of the trail that people had spent hard earned money to buy, but decided was too darned heavy to hike up. I was surprised also at how far they tossed it into the woods instead of leaving it close to the trail where it could be readily picked up and removed.

I don't think it really matters whether you do the approach trail or not. It certainly sucks with a 75 pound pack, but it is hardly impossible. A steady pace gets it done. Since a 75 pound pack is rare as hens teeth these days (wasn't too common then), most won't have to cope with that, which means its just miles.

hopefulhiker
08-15-2006, 15:09
I skipped it. Ran up Springer and "touched base". One day I am going back and do the approach just for fun...

rumbler
08-15-2006, 16:35
If you do the approach trail or not, those who start are doomed to fail. Only about 20 % of those starting finish.:-?

But all of them got out for at least awhile. Not sure I would classify a hike of 250, 500 or 2000 miles a "doomed failure".

the_iceman
08-15-2006, 17:34
Let's see, the approach trail is 8.8 miles and means you stay at Springer or Stover Creek rather than Hawk Mountain. That means one more day of food before Neels Gap.

From all accounts it sounds like what a pioneer would experience on the East side of the Sierra's after a wagon train racing winter. A lot of discarded equipment, hopes, and dreams.

My thoughts now are to do several trips from the forest road down the approach trail before my start so I can “shop” for free equipment and supplies

Skidsteer
08-15-2006, 17:48
I skipped it. Ran up Springer and "touched base". One day I am going back and do the approach just for fun...

If you want to do it 'for fun' then hike it Southbound. :D

Actually it's not that bad either way.

Nean
08-15-2006, 18:23
do it 'for fun' :D

Actually it's not that bad either way.

I've heard this rumor and tend to agree.;)

bfitz
08-16-2006, 00:26
The best way is to be airlifted by helicopter to the top of springer and head north. Or teleported. They should build a chairlift or gondola one of these days...oooh! A cog-rail!!

scope
08-16-2006, 01:11

Help me out here... the approach trail is traditional for what reason? Just that it predated road access to Springer? It seems absurd to me to draw the inference of not doing the approach trail as some sort of corner-cutting.

However, after having visited Springer by road, if I were doing a thru, I would most definitely do it starting at Amicalola, for the reason that it seems more like the start of a great trail than does the gravel parking lot of USFS 42.

Smile
08-16-2006, 02:19
Can anyone say SHERPA?

I look forward to doing the section SoBo ;-)
Good suggestion Skidsteer!

saimyoji
08-16-2006, 03:56
Tradition in THIS case is a bunch of BS. If you are concerned about starting at the traditional place, there is a differen't Mtn. in Georgia you should be looking at.

HIKER7s
08-16-2006, 05:54
When I did my thru, I did the approach trail . I knew about it and knew ?I wanted to do it from the start. (At the time, "I" just didnt feel you dont earn the start, unless you've proved the test.... of the approach trail)

Anyway, when I did this. There was a group of 5 or so people aged I would guess 25-35; they were behind me at first then left me in the dust and bounded on. A mile later here they are one guy on the ground huffing and puffing and two of the others not much better.

One, a woman about 30, she was just shaking her head (she looked like a real deal hiker). Once I made sure they were ok I asked how long they were planning to hike. OH! the whole thing they all said. I just said its a good thing they did the approach trail to figure out if thats what they really wanted to do. left'em with that. As I passed that not so happy woman hiker, I whispered when I went by the words we have all had to cling to one time or another "hike YOUR own hike".

I did see only her on the top of springer the next day, they were getting their car. She said she was coming back to start for real in a week as she had to get her brother home. Hope she got back and went for it.

SO- with all this rambling-
YOU SHOULD do the approach trail
it wont take away from a 2k status however think of it a shakedown, so by the time you get to the top o Springer. You will be in the zone.
ready to start the AT.

the_iceman
08-16-2006, 09:17
Wow, I never realized “Tradition” was such an inflammatory word. I am not sure if some of the other synonyms work as well: ritual, practice, habit, institution, convention, belief, or folklore. What I do know is no one seems to talk about starting from the forest road but many talk about the approach trail as it was a test of fire.

How many thru-hikers carry a pebble from Springer? Is that a tradition as well?

Doing or not doing the approach trail is a personal choice. Asking for advice or opinions on doing it is no different about asking about pack brands. I guess the same people who flame about the use of the word “tradition” would berate you for using the wrong brand, style, or color pack if you run into them on the trail. Boy the world is an angry place, I need to escape to the woods.

springerfever
08-16-2006, 09:42
Another option is to stay at the Hike-Inn. On a weeklong outing a few years ago I stayed there the first night and at dinner we were fortunate enough to have as a guest speaker none other than M.J. Eberhart, The Nimblewill Nomad. I know when I do my thru, hopefully in a few years, my first night will be at the Hike-Inn followed by a night on Springer .

http://www.hike-inn.com/

Dances with Mice
08-16-2006, 09:42
It's just another blue-blazed trail. The only good views are at the ends of the Trail - along the old gravel road between the falls & visitor's center and then just south of Springer. The trail NOBO up the ridge to Frosty is rough and ugly and no fun at all - some people have given up their hike there. The old plane crash site sign is moderately interesting but not really worth a special trip.

But, all that being said, climbing up Springer from the south is a great way to approach the Terminus as the forest gives way to brush then the twisted oak trees near the summit are downright spooky if you get there near sunset. And the Approach is not as worn down as the AT from the Terminus north to the parking lot, that part of the Trail is my least favorite in GA.

But, again, the Approach is just another blue-blazed trail and not a particularly outstanding one.

bigben
08-16-2006, 11:29
I did the Approach Trail this past May en route to Neel's Gap and have to say that it totally was not as bad as it's "cracked up" to be. I didn't think it was any harder than any of the rest of my hike. I'm sectioning the whole AT on a 23 year plan, and I figured it would be a long time before I got back down there to do it, so might as well do it now. No regrets. But I agree with those who have hiked it before and chose not to do it on subsequent hikes. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice hike and all. But it's kind of short on views once you get past the falls. I didn't think any of the climbs were too tough. Having done it, I'd probably skip it if I was doing a thru. It's just 4 more mountains and another day in the woods when you think about it.

Bigben

scope
08-16-2006, 13:30
Wow, I never realized “Tradition” was such an inflammatory word. I am not sure if some of the other synonyms work as well: ritual, practice, habit, institution, convention, belief, or folklore. What I do know is no one seems to talk about starting from the forest road but many talk about the approach trail as it was a test of fire.

How many thru-hikers carry a pebble from Springer? Is that a tradition as well?

Doing or not doing the approach trail is a personal choice. Asking for advice or opinions on doing it is no different about asking about pack brands. I guess the same people who flame about the use of the word “tradition” would berate you for using the wrong brand, style, or color pack if you run into them on the trail. Boy the world is an angry place, I need to escape to the woods.

OK, who's got the anger??? You did not ask for advice or opinion on doing the approach trail. You inferred that not doing the traditional approach to Springer is somehow akin to short-cutting and asked how many real thru hikers (those that finished) did the approach, or actually, how many "skipped" the approach...

... then, I find it equally unfair that you turn it around on those that responded to that perceived negative inference as part of some angry world that would berate you for asking a simple question.

How about we do that. From this point forward, the simple question for this forum is, "Of those who have finished a NOBO thru hike, how many did the approach trail?" Is that not the question you wanted to ask?

This is in no way about "tradition' being a flammable subject. It would be nice if you took some responsibility for phrasing it the way you did. And please, this is not about semantics. You struck a negative chord with folks who have some passion for the AT, and they called you on it.

p.s. I'll be on the Cape next week if you want to come slap me around a little.:)

Michele
08-16-2006, 14:25
Whereas it's a nice coincidence that there's lodging located 8.8 miles from Springer, and there just so happens to be a trail that leads from that lodging to the beginning of the AT, I don't think hiking or not hiking the approach trail should even be an issue, nor do I think it has anything to do with one's ability to finish in Maine. I mean really, if all it took to guarantee a finish on the Big K was to start on the approach trail, I bet every single person would do it.

I often wonder how the discussion on this topic (that has been visited many times I'm sure) would change if Amicalola was located say 20 miles from Springer. Would people still be willing to hike the approach if it was 20 miles from Springer with the only other alternative being shuttled to the gravel road that is closer and/or would it even be considered an option by most people who are brand new hikers? Just a thought.

Me personally, I'm 99% for sure I'll be staying at the Hiker Hostel and taking the shuttle to the closest location to Springer. I guess it all comes down to whether or not you are one of those people that goes to Mapquest and clicks the "give me the most direct path" option or the "give me the scenic path" button. No matter what, we all get where we're going! :sun

the_iceman
08-16-2006, 14:53
Man Scope, I hope you plan on spending some time with an umbrella drink and chillin a little bit.

the_iceman
08-16-2006, 15:16
Good Point Michelle. The real issue I was trying to get at was this:
Based on weather, time, mood, and the ability to get a ride we had considered starting from the forest road. However, we did not want to get all the way to Maine (if we are part of the few) and say; “man, we were the only ones that skipped the approach trail”.

I guess if someone thru-hiked without doing the approach trail they might consider the wording of my question inflammatory but I am not sure why. The approach is a blue blaze trail, one of 100’s that join the AT. Skipping it does not shorten the length of the AT but to me shows the mindset at work at the beginning of ones hike.

It is a kin to asking what percentage of hikers who have more than 30% zero days finish? I guess if you were the person with 31% zero days standing on the Big K you would feel insulted or maybe think you beat the odds, who knows.

I think we all want to increase our odds of being successful.

swift
08-16-2006, 16:02
skipped it the first time, only made it to NH. Did the approach trail the second time, made it to the Big K. If it works dont fix it.

Cedar Tree
08-16-2006, 16:03
On my thruhike, I did not do the approach trail and I made it to Katahdin. I've since hiked the approach trail, and after the first mile or so, it is not so bad. I think a better indicator of completion is start date. I believe early starters (Jan, Feb) have a higher completion rate. Just my opinion/observation, but in 2000 it seemed that nearly all the people I hiked with early finished.
CT

the_iceman
08-16-2006, 16:55
Thanks Cedar Tree - we are looking at a mid February start so that is encouraging

Mountain Man
08-16-2006, 17:57
Another option is to stay at the Hike-Inn. On a weeklong outing a few years ago I stayed there the first night and at dinner we were fortunate enough to have as a guest speaker none other than M.J. Eberhart, The Nimblewill Nomad. I know when I do my thru, hopefully in a few years, my first night will be at the Hike-Inn followed by a night on Springer .

http://www.hike-inn.com/

I don't think it really matters where you start. If I was trying to get to Katahdin in the shortest time possible I wouldn't do it. But if I was out to just hike and take in all I can, I would diffently do the Approach. Amicalola is a nice park. Get your picture made at the visitors center, and check out the park. Also in 07 I'm doing as Springerfever said above and stay at the Len Foote Hike Inn then tag Springer the next morning. Even if you don't stay at the Hike Inn it's only a mile off the Approach trail and worth the visit before going on up to Springer. I've lost count at the times I've done the Approach but still planning on doing it again, because I just like to hike. My mind might change but right now I don't think it would matter where I started as for as me getting to Katahdin, I feel like I could start in Key West and make it because I'm determined "right now anyway". :D

springerfever
08-17-2006, 02:13
You know its pretty amazing but most thru-hikers that complete the trail have a similar suggestion for those wanting to do a thru-hike:

"Slow down and enjoy the ride."

I think it's a fairly common malady that causes thru-hikers to actually slow down as they approach Katahdin....they don't want their hike to be over !

Seems like most thru-hikers want to bust-out-of-the-gates and get big mileages in the first few weeks. This seems to be a proven method to screw up big time and drop off the trail for one reason or another. I see the first few weeks as a shake-down and an opportunity to tweak your gear while your body adjusts to the regimen of hiking 8-10 hours per day on a decidely different diet.

Can't remember who it was, but I read one account of a thru-hiker who was attempting the slowest hike of the AT. Now that's my kind of a thru-hike !!

Personally, I plan on taking at least six months for the AT and that is with a mid-March start. As much as I am looking forward to the comaradie of fellow hikers , my main focus will be my personal development and the natural beauty of the hike. Of course, all this may change during the hike itself, but that's my current motivation that obsesses me.

Anybody that has hiked through the Smokies is aware how incredibly beautiful and diverse this area is, but it seems with the current shelter regulations, thru hikers tend to blast-thru this 70 miles, with maybe a resupply and a night or two of debauchery in Gatlinburg. Not that there is anything wrong with debauchery....

I hope to spend at least a week in the Smokies with some quality time hiking over to Mt. LeConte via the Boulevard Trail and making use of its shelter along with a Myrtle Point sunrise and a Cliff Top sunset. On the Northern end, Mt. Cammerer is absolutely awe inspiring, yet I would guess 90% of thru-hikers never even consider the short blue-blaze to the tower.

Sorry for the rant, and yes, I do totally subscribe to the mantra, "Hike you own hike" but isn't that why you are out here to enjoy what the trail has to offer, in all its glory?

To me, a thru-hike is what ever you make it....blue blaze, yellow blaze, aqua blaze, skip the approach,whatever. Personally, I want to start my hike with the customary pack-weighing, the pictures at the arch, the new AT exhibit recently opened at Amicalola Falls State Park and definately the choosing of a Springer Mountain rock to deposit on Katahdin......

Just my personal thoughts, thanks for your indulgence......

SGT Rock
08-17-2006, 02:20
How about this: How many people enjoyed their hike of the approach trail?

If they enjoyed it, why?

If it sounds like you would enjoy it based on their responses, then do it. If not, then don't. Either way it is your hike and you will set the mindset of how you want to hike it. If you start any hike with a bunch of rules about how you have to do it or you are a failure or will fail, then you set up lots of mental traps for yourself that can make you feel like a failure and lead to you quitting.

If you start with the attitude you are going to go out and enjoy yourself, take things at your own speed (slow or fast) and not get wrapped up in how you are going to do something before you ever get there, then you may just enjoy what you are doing as you are doing it. Hiking the AT is not a contest and there is no cheating, there is no standard you have to follow.

Unless you decide you have to. Then that is your decision to allow some artificial overlay run how you hike.

Nean
08-17-2006, 08:52
However, after having visited Springer by road, if I were doing a thru, I would most definitely do it starting at Amicalola, for the reason that it seems more like the start of a great trail than does the gravel parking lot of USFS 42.

Lets see, a paved parking lot at Amicalola Falls (huge hotel, etc.) or a gravel parking lot surrounded by the forest. The trail starts at neither place. The only mindset I see at 42 is people starting the AT w/o any off the wall assumptions.;)

solace
08-17-2006, 10:30
I have to agree with Baltimore.. to each thier own ~ When it comes down to it.. It's really what YOU, as a hiker want.. do you want that first day to be as traditional as possible? I have done the approach each of my 3 years. It seems to add a bit a Bonus time.. if you will, to my hike.
During my several hours up Springer, its that time I look forward to as my thought sturn to seeing that plaque, once again.
Most hikers I have met honestly haven't done much pre-hiking, and the approach is thier first bite out of the A.T.
And yes, hiking up, and meeting other thru & section hopefuls @ Springer MT shelter is such a magical experience in itself.. immediate friendships are formed that last long beyond 2100 miles....

SGT Rock
08-17-2006, 14:27
I have to agree with Baltimore.. to each thier own ~ When it comes down to it.. It's really what YOU, as a hiker want.. do you want that first day to be as traditional as possible? I have done the approach each of my 3 years. It seems to add a bit a Bonus time.. if you will, to my hike.
During my several hours up Springer, its that time I look forward to as my thought sturn to seeing that plaque, once again.
Most hikers I have met honestly haven't done much pre-hiking, and the approach is thier first bite out of the A.T.
And yes, hiking up, and meeting other thru & section hopefuls @ Springer MT shelter is such a magical experience in itself.. immediate friendships are formed that last long beyond 2100 miles....

That is a good example of a testimony of how you like it and why.

If I were trying to decide, that would almost certainly make me want to hike it. Bonus trail time, the cool feeling of finding the start of the trail. That is a positive testement, not some bid to make someone follow an arbitrary rule.

It almost makes me want to change how I plan to hike the start of my thru-hike.

Smile
08-17-2006, 14:44
Hi Solace!
you are awesome, hope things are going terrific for you. Hope to see you out there again sometime :-)

Dances with Mice
08-17-2006, 15:44
If you start with the attitude you are going to go out and enjoy yourself, take things at your own speed (slow or fast) Well, when you put it that way...

Although I still hold that it's not a great Trail and there's nothing missed or earned by hiking it, I've always enjoyed my hikes of the Approach to Springer much more than I've enjoyed my drives to the Springer parking lot. I can remember each hike but the drives are just more car time, y'know?

SGT Rock
08-17-2006, 15:46
Great point DWM.

A good day on the trail beats a great day in the car.

Topcat
08-17-2006, 15:51
When i finally get to do my thru hike, I want to experience as much as i can, including the approach trail. I always thought it was interesting that you had to hike 7 miles to start a trip. That being said, i dont know why anyone would be judged for either decision.

the_iceman
08-17-2006, 20:55
I was surprised that people were so passionate over their choice. For what I thought was a curiosity question this thread sure has legs. I guess the start of what some people plan a life time to do has a lot of meaning and memories. Still not sure which way we will start. Like I said, I think the weather and the mood of the moment will dictate as it will for most of our days on the trail.

Thanks to everyone who gave feed back and apologies to anyone offended by the question.

scope
08-18-2006, 09:18
Hiking the AT is not a contest and there is no cheating, there is no standard you have to follow.

Unless you decide you have to. Then that is your decision to allow some artificial overlay run how you hike.

Good point, and this is basically what I was trying to say when I said it was "absurd" to infer that it was short-cutting to not do the approach trail. I actually don't know that much about the tradition of starting at Amicalola, I know that the approach is there and that its 8 miles or so uphill as opposed to an easy jaunt (my wife did it and she hates hiking) from USFS 42. If there is more of a tradition that I don't know about, then I can understand IcemanB's mindset, even though I don't agree with it.

I don't think that mine, or others' responses, were necessarily so filled with anger as to justify IcemanB's 'backpack criticism' response, though. I think he's the one with the passion regarding tradition and didn't handle it very well when others called that into question. Sarge, I think your 'overlay' comment goes a long way in explaining what's going on here, and is very much something for others to look at - in themselves - with caution as they prepare for this hike.

scope
08-18-2006, 12:56
Lets see, a paved parking lot at Amicalola Falls (huge hotel, etc.) or a gravel parking lot surrounded by the forest. The trail starts at neither place. The only mindset I see at 42 is people starting the AT w/o any off the wall assumptions.;)

I hear you. For me, I'm assuming I would like starting at Amicalola so I would be walking out of civilization and into the woods, with the beginning set by the drama of the falls - as opposed to the blank forest and generic parking lot of USFS 42.

neo
08-18-2006, 13:06
i called the approach trail the departer trail when i hiked it in may 2001
i parked at amicola falls state park and was shuttled to deep gap near standing indian in nc,then i hiked this section heading south back to amicola falls,so for me it was not an approch but a departer hike,i am glad i hiked it,if i was hiking north,i still would have hiked it:cool: neo

Nean
08-18-2006, 17:47

It isn't your question so much imb, you "skipped" the point. Maybe it was your unfounded negative opinion and remark that led to your skipped question.:-?

I agree w/ Solace; only I have those thoughts up from 42.;)

I don't think there is any tradition; I've never heard of it.:confused:

I wouldn't mind doing the approach some day, as with many other trails.

At the end of the day - It doesn't matter! Do what you want and be happy you did. :eek:

The Old Fhart
08-18-2006, 18:21
I didn't "skip" the approach trail, I just didn't do it any of the times I started. Maybe next time I'll do it. I don't think whether you do it or not means anything.

In 2000 Nimblewill Nomad gave me a ride up to the parking lot and walked to Springer and back to the parking lot with me. As we were standing there talking, we watched a father and 2 sons get out of the shuttle and start north, skipping the 0.9 mile from Springer to FS42 because they told the driver they didn't have time to do that all important short piece of the trail. That is certainly an indicator of a failed hike!

max patch
08-18-2006, 20:34
Its "traditional" inasmuch as the approach trail -- most of it, anyway -- is the only part of the original trail left from when the trail started at Mt. Ogelthorpe.

Rendezvous01
08-18-2006, 21:37
How about this: How many people enjoyed their hike of the approach trail?

If they enjoyed it, why?

I thoroughly enjoyed my approach trail day during my half-hike in 2001. Why? Because of the several people I met. I met my hiking partner of the first two weeks about 200 yards up the approach trail, and we quickly bonded. I met a local who hiked with us for a couple hours, gave us advice, hiking sticks, and would have given us the shirt off his back had we needed it. While waiting for the shop to open so I could sign in and weigh my pack, I met a vanful of girl scouts who were impressed with my impending journey and full of sage advice such as 'don't eat macaroni and cheese for breakfast, it gives you bad breath all day'.

The nine miles or so to the Springer shelter was, for me, the right length of opening day hike, not too far to wear me down, far enough to tire me out.

The four hours, or six, or, truthfully, eight were like sitting in the theater waiting for the show to start, building the suspense, increasing the anticipation. Seeing the stone with the plaque was such a great feeling. Sitting with half a dozen other prospective thrus watching the sun fade through the late afternoon haze, sharing dreams, fears, expectations; for me, jumping out of a cab, trotting up to tag the sign, then turning around and heading north just wouldn't have had the same impact, the same feeling of excitement and building anticipation.

I hiked the approach trail, and haven't made it to Katahdin yet--still stuck in this extended intermission. Did hiking from Amicalola impact my mid-hike break? No. If I had continued on to Maine at that time, could I claim that hiking the approach made a difference? No. If I were to start over again would I rehike the 8.8 miles from the state park to the top of Springer? Absolutely.

Sly
08-18-2006, 21:55
we watched a father and 2 sons get out of the shuttle and start north, skipping the 0.9 mile from Springer to FS42 because they told the driver they didn't have time to do that all important short piece of the trail. That is certainly an indicator of a failed hike!
Depends on why they were out there. Maybe they had already hiked it before? I'd call it lame (not having time) more than anything else.

SGT Rock
08-18-2006, 21:58
I thoroughly enjoyed my approach trail day during my half-hike in 2001. Why? Because of the several people I met. I met my hiking partner of the first two weeks about 200 yards up the approach trail, and we quickly bonded. I met a local who hiked with us for a couple hours, gave us advice, hiking sticks, and would have given us the shirt off his back had we needed it. While waiting for the shop to open so I could sign in and weigh my pack, I met a vanful of girl scouts who were impressed with my impending journey and full of sage advice such as 'don't eat macaroni and cheese for breakfast, it gives you bad breath all day'.

The nine miles or so to the Springer shelter was, for me, the right length of opening day hike, not too far to wear me down, far enough to tire me out.

The four hours, or six, or, truthfully, eight were like sitting in the theater waiting for the show to start, building the suspense, increasing the anticipation. Seeing the stone with the plaque was such a great feeling. Sitting with half a dozen other prospective thrus watching the sun fade through the late afternoon haze, sharing dreams, fears, expectations; for me, jumping out of a cab, trotting up to tag the sign, then turning around and heading north just wouldn't have had the same impact, the same feeling of excitement and building anticipation.

I hiked the approach trail, and haven't made it to Katahdin yet--still stuck in this extended intermission. Did hiking from Amicalola impact my mid-hike break? No. If I had continued on to Maine at that time, could I claim that hiking the approach made a difference? No. If I were to start over again would I rehike the 8.8 miles from the state park to the top of Springer? Absolutely.

Another great post with a great answer to the question. Again, almost makes me want to change my plan. I ought to stop reading this thread LOL ;)

Nean
08-18-2006, 23:49
Seeing the stone with the plaque was such a great feeling. Sitting with half a dozen other prospective thrus watching the sun fade through the late afternoon haze, sharing dreams, fears, expectations; for me, jumping out of a cab, trotting up to tag the sign, then turning around and heading north just wouldn't have had the same impact, the same feeling of excitement and building anticipation.

Why a cab? Why trot, tag and turn? Sounds a tad demeaning? You can't catch a cab to Amicalola? Are you saying a couple of extra hours make a difference in journey of many months? Maybe its just a state of mind...:-?

What if you went with a parent or special friend up to 42? And what if they could handle 1.8 but not 8.8? What if you had some of your best memories from starting at 42?:confused:

Why run down someone elses experience to make yours seem better?:o
Have you even tried both?

Again, it only matters, depending on how you want it to.;)

highway
09-21-2006, 11:09
...It's really what YOU, as a hiker want..it seems to add a bit a(t) Bonus time.. if you will, to my hike.

Solace, you, as well as some others convinced me to add the Approach trail when I go next April. I had already walked it in 2004 and found it then a "magical" place to start. So, I had decided to skip it this time but you all have just changed my mind.

So many pleasant memories still stand out in my mind when I started from the visitor's center that very late afternoon after Josh from HikerHostal dropped me off . He had picked me up from a late flight. I am still sorry I didnt weigh my pack at the official scales, even though I knew precisely what it weighed at the time. I recall only partially filling up my 2 L Platypus hoser at the fountain right outside the back door before I headed out and hoping that all the posters on WhiteBlaze were correct about the plentiful water ahead. I recalled being amazed, even in late April, at the amount of peculiar items being discarded and abandoned right alongside the trail from hikers ahead. As I recall it didnt even dawn on me then that those hikers werent coming back to claim them; I guess I felt they were in the bushes someplace. I can still see those piles of discarded stuff now, in plain view, alongside the trail. I recall taking the side detour just to see those falls that Sgt Rock spoke so fondly of in some of the earlier '02, '03 postings on this site. I remember getting into Black Gap shelter just at dark, alone, and wandering too far downhill alongside the stream, looking for a deep enough pool from which to refill my Platypus, without getting too much vegetation in it. I recall it being my first tasty drink of many, many drinks of clear AT water, untarnished by either filter or chemical. When I returned to the shelter G-man had arrived, attempting his second thru and we eached cooked our evening meals, sharing my water so he wouldnt have to walk so far downhill, now in the dark, and we formed a friendship that lasted for weeks ahead. Early next morning, I was alone, in the foggy drizzle, when I came around the bend of the trail and saw the "Rock" and the Springer Mountain plaque for the first time. I guess I would have thought it to be larger, as I recall, looking for the partially hidden trail register to officially sign my presence in and then read the other hiker's notes. It was indeed a "magical moment, standing there in the fog and drizzling rain, sheltering that spiral bound notebook as I read with the brim of my hat, and I decided the little monument was plenty big enough. Then, I recall looking for my first view of a "White Blaze", the first of many that would follow. And will follow again I hope...

Yep! You convinced me. I'll start next April and do the Approach Trail once more. I wish to add to my collection of those beautiful memories. Maybe i can finish it all, this time....