PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiking Shenandoah NP Info

nhinze
08-14-2006, 17:14
Dear all,

I would like to do a rather long AT hike. I was thinking on hiking through Shenandoah NP. Where could I find information about doing something like this ? Length, campsites, other tips. I'm actually looking for something like a 7 day hike.

What are other good recommended long hikes on the AT ? I did the following "Weekend/3 Day hikes":
- Mount Rogers (Virginia)
- Tripple Crown (Virginia).

Another quick question: What would be the recommended backpack weight be for a woman ?

Nick,

The Solemates
08-14-2006, 17:34
the SNP would be a good 7-day hike for the beginner backpacker. its easy terrain through about 100 miles of trail, is close to civilization and extra food, and there are plenty of people in case you get stuck. info that you want can be found at www.aldha.org by clicking on the guidebook. There are plenty of other options for a 3 day hike as well. The Roan Highlands of TN are pretty, as well as the Smokies, and many others. your weight should be as light as you are comfortable carrying; the general rule is do not exceed 25% or so of your body weight.

Cookerhiker
08-14-2006, 21:43
Since you live in Blacksburg, another option is to hike from the southern I-81 crossing (Atkins/Groseclose, Exit 54) to Pearisburg. It's 87 miles and offers the variation of some open field walking - especially over Chestnut Knob - as well as forest. There's plenty of water along most parts. You'll have views alternatively of east and west. It's more challenging than Shenandoah but not too bad. The longest ascent is Chestnut Knob.

peter_pan
08-15-2006, 10:43
The SNP in 8 days is very doable....resupply is convient at the waysides....water is sometimes a problem in late summer up on the ridge springs but usually fine down lower....When done you will have the pleasure of the trip when you did the At thru the SNP end to end....Plus you are almost guarenteed a bear sighting and lots odf other wildlife.

Pan

Creek Dancer
08-15-2006, 11:19
Check out the website for the Potomac Appalchian Trail Club www.patc.net (http://www.patc.net). They maintain this section of the AT, as well as many other trails and cabins in the park.

This section is very doable in 7 days. The pack weight depends on your needs, time of year, number of days of food, etc. Generally, if your basic pack weight (pack, tent, pad and bag) is under 10 pounds, you should be in good shape.

Yes, there a lots of bears. I have read there is approximately 1 bear per square mile. Unfortunately, I have never seen one and I have hiking up there for many years.

Footslogger
08-15-2006, 11:28
Yes, there a lots of bears. I have read there is approximately 1 bear per square mile. Unfortunately, I have never seen one and I have hiking up there for many years.
=========================================
Aside from my first night on the trail at Hawk Mountain Shelter in Georgia, the Shennies were where I saw the majority of bears during my thru. Most of my sitings were early in the morning and late at night.

Bears are active at night and they DO walk the trail ....

'Slogger

Creek Dancer
08-15-2006, 11:37
Yeah, I don't doubt that they are there. I am just surprised that I have yet to see one since I have spent so much time up there. I have backpacked all of the AT in the SNP, as well as many circuit hikes.

There is a lot of wildlife in the park. I heard a bobcat once. The scream was incredibly eerie. At first it sounded like a woman being murdered.

There are tons of deer and they are very tame. They will actually stand nearby and beg for food. Don't feed them, of course.

Then there was the little skunk who snuggled up next to me while I was sleeping in the Pinefield Hut.

Alligator
08-15-2006, 11:53
You can purchase the Shenandoah map set with guidebook from the ATC.
http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/itemlist.cfm?catid=67&compid=1&pcatid=45

Blissful
08-15-2006, 14:55
Yeah, I don't doubt that they are there. I am just surprised that I have yet to see one since I have spent so much time up there. I have backpacked all of the AT in the SNP, as well as many circuit hikes.

Same here. We always end up missing them and I've hiked tons in the park and we've completed the AT through it. Last one I saw was eighteen years ago off the Broad Hollow Trail. Heard the stories from other hikers about the bears, then when we come up, they vanish.

I don't think they exist anymore...haha

Or maybe I need to hang Snickers from my pack.

teachergal
08-15-2006, 16:19
My bear sightings in SNP:

4 years ago, on my birthday (early May) I was headed south on Skyline Dr from Thorton Gap and I saw a large brown animal cross the road in front of me. My 1st thought: WOW that's a big dog. My next, more intelligent thought was - that was a bear!

That summer I saw a bear near Elkwallow - I was headed north on the AT and I was about a mile (or less) from Elkwallow. I was coming to the end of an 11 mile day hike and looked up and there was a bear sitting on a dead tree about 500 yards from where I was! He (she?) just stayed put and watched me - I watched him and kept walking.

The next summer (3 years ago) I saw a bear on the Rose River Fire Trail near Big Meadows. It was a baby bear and it was very near the trail. No sign of a mama.

THe day after that sighting I was hiking the AT between Skyland and Fisher's Gap and I saw two more bear cubs up on the hillside.

So they are there.....it's a matter of luck! :)

Good luck with your SNP hike! I think it's a great place and love to get out there whenever I can! I second the suggestion to check out PATC - they are great (course I'm a member so....)