PDA

View Full Version : A Hennessy by any other name is...

tlbj6142
04-01-2003, 16:24
I noticed that BCGear is having a sale (http://www.backcountrygear.com/manufacturers/Hennessy.cfm) on Hennessy Hammocks. Unfortunatley, I can't quite tell the difference between a few of the models listed. In particular what is the difference between...

Explorer Ultralite A-Sym
Explorer Deluxe A-Sym
Expedition A-Sym

Is the Deluxe an older model of the Explorer? I notice it doesn't have a Sil-nylon fly. Is that the only difference? If so, I'll carry the extra couple of ounces to save $50.

The Expedition is $20 more and an ounce lighter than the Deluxe???

brian
04-01-2003, 22:33
Get it direct from hennessyhammock.com

its cheaper

Brian

MedicineMan
04-01-2003, 23:06
Cheaper? Hmmmm, I just ordered another one (Backpacker A-sym) from MEC and saved even more thanks to the exchange rate plus more of their version of the Puffball vest. If you like gear and aren't familiar with MEC you should disabuse and rectify.

tlbj6142
04-02-2003, 11:27
Good point. I forgot about MEC. However, the last few times I wanted to buy something from them, they would/could not ship it to the US.

Virginian
04-03-2003, 22:35
The explorer and theexpedition are bigger and heavier. I use the safari ultra lite. Its all you need.

attroll
04-04-2003, 02:38
I own two Ultralite Backpacker A-SYM's and they each weigh 1lb.15oz. I don't know why anyone would want any other type when they weigh a pound more at least. But the one I own is only rated at 200lbs. So if you weigh more then you will have to get a different one. But this is my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

But really if you get one of them make sure it is a A-SYM style.

Dirtyoldman
04-04-2003, 05:35
some of the other models offer more space then the UL asym...

attroll
04-04-2003, 12:12
Yes they may offer more space then the Ultrlite Backpacker A-SYM and some of the other models are A-SYM also. But keep in mind you will lay a lot flatter in an A-SYM style hammock. So I would recommend that if you want space get a larger one but stay with the A-SYM style. Again that is my opinion.

tlbj6142
04-04-2003, 12:22
Right now I'm leaning toward the Explorer UL A-Sym. I'm right at the 200# limit of the UL. Though Hennessy has told me that they allow for another 25# of gear. And, I certainly don't expect to have 25# of gear in, or on, the hammock.

But, for the 4-5oz increase by selecting the Explorer over the Backpacker model, I'll get a bit more peace of mind. And a bit more room. Though I don't know what I'll do with the space. In fact, I would think the large hammock would lead to more sagging.

BTW, I was also told by Hennessey that you can order (directly from them) the BP UL A-sym from them with "heavier" guide lines. Which is still an option. As I doubt the "heavier" (read stronger) lines would add much to the weight of the BP UL A-Sym. Maybe another ounce.

Virginian
04-04-2003, 20:35
Im not sure but I think that the Explorer has the same size rain fly as the Safari Ultra Lite, and you had to work that thing just right to get it to cover the Safari in a downpour. The Explorer will give you more room but Im 6 ft 190 lbs and found the Safari Ultra to be room enough. If you can wait until Trail Days you can probably get a 20 to 30 dollar discount from Tom. If you go that is.

tlbj6142
04-04-2003, 23:30
You mentioned trail days. We were actually thinking about hiking in the area that weekend.

I noticed the vendors are there on Saturday. That would sort of cut into our long weekend. Is it worth it to see all of the vendors?

I'd love to go, but I only get a few chances a year to get out on the trail. So, I can't decide if I want to cut into the trip.

What are the crowds like?

Virginian
04-06-2003, 19:35
Its a cool place if you want to party and see old friends. It like a Grateful Dead concert with the Dead being there( well maybe Id better rethink that one). The vendors are ok but not really worth getting off the trail just to see them. Damascus is a great town though!!

jlb2012
04-07-2003, 08:15
I mostly agree about the vendors but there was one exception I would make - if you want to buy a Gearskin then have the folks from Moonbow (the mfg.) measure you to get the right fit.

neo
09-14-2007, 10:22
I noticed that BCGear is having a sale (http://www.backcountrygear.com/manufacturers/Hennessy.cfm) on Hennessy Hammocks. Unfortunatley, I can't quite tell the difference between a few of the models listed. In particular what is the difference between...

Explorer Ultralite A-Sym
Explorer Deluxe A-Sym
Expedition A-Sym

Is the Deluxe an older model of the Explorer? I notice it doesn't have a Sil-nylon fly. Is that the only difference? If so, I'll carry the extra couple of ounces to save $50.

The Expedition is $20 more and an ounce lighter than the Deluxe???

i dont like the hennessey hammock co.anymore:cool: neo

SGT Rock
09-14-2007, 10:33
You going to the hammock hand this weekend?

gold bond
09-14-2007, 10:58
Is there a hammock that will be sufficiant for a 225-235 lbs person? Would this be comfortable for a person weighing that much? I am about 225 and my hiking partner says he doesn't weigh much more than me.... Anyway just wondering!

Ewker
09-14-2007, 11:02
Is there a hammock that will be sufficiant for a 225-235 lbs person? Would this be comfortable for a person weighing that much? I am about 225 and my hiking partner says he doesn't weigh much more than me.... Anyway just wondering!

go here www.speerhammocks.com (http://www.speerhammocks.com/)

Cannibal
09-14-2007, 11:14

I weighed 245 when I got hooked on hangin. I've lost 33 lbs. since then, but never had any problems hanging at that weight. I will admit to not being quite as nervous, but I don't know if that's the experience talkin or just the skinny version of me. Most manufacturers list a model that will handle up to 250 lbs. Go for it!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
09-14-2007, 11:32
I would definitely recommend a top-loader over a Hennessey for larger people. (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=784)

Cannibal
09-14-2007, 11:48
Ha! I forgot about that thread...conehead.:D I laughed for hours when I heard you tell the story at TD about crawling out head first.

FD is probably right; the HH entry slit is a challenge in and of itself.

Tsani
09-14-2007, 14:04
I weigh about 235 and I have been hanging a Rothco G.I. style hammock for several years. Never had a problem. The bottom is canvas and the entry is from the side. It's pretty rugged, but that canvas weighs more than these modern type hammocks.

http://www.specopstactical.com/shop/catalog/woodland-camo-jungle-hammock-p-1906.html

Nightwalker
09-14-2007, 19:41
I own two Ultralite Backpacker A-SYM's and they each weigh 1lb.15oz. I don't know why anyone would want any other type when they weigh a pound more at least. But the one I own is only rated at 200lbs. So if you weigh more then you will have to get a different one. But this is my opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

But really if you get one of them make sure it is a A-SYM style.

Here's a nice reply that I got from a Hennessy CSR:
-------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, if you are comfortable in your Expedition Asym but weigh over
200 lbs., we do have some ultralight backpacker Asym which have
heavier duty ropes - just adds a few ounces, but holds more weight.
We would have to ship from our Canada shipping(free regular expedited
parcel) but they are the same price and made in USA. Please let me
know if you need more info. We are very durability and safety conscious and
prefer to err a little on the side of reliability.

Thanks

Ann
-------------------------------------------------------------
And don't a lot of us do away with the ropes (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565) anyway?

Nightwalker
09-14-2007, 19:47
FD is probably right; the HH entry slit is a challenge in and of itself.

Or your favorite part, as the case may be. And I am a big Hennessy fan.

A lot of folks are angry that he defends his patents. I say they're his and he has a right to defend them. Either way, choose for yourself.

Cannibal
09-14-2007, 19:55
I don't take issue with his defense of patents, they're his to defend.

I like his hammocks, but that entry slit is a little different. My first major hammock purchase was a Hennessy and it's what I use to let people try hammocking.

GREEN THERAPY
09-14-2007, 20:08
My first hammock was also a Hennesy. It is the one that got me hooked on hangin, but the entry system sucks. I have since "borrowed" his design and built a few of my own but with a zippered top loading design for the bug net. There are so many haelpful folks in this and other forums when it comes to building a hammock its hard to go too far wrong in the building process. The only downside, if there is one is that you either have to coax someone or learn how to sew to build it. I have since given my Hennesy to my daughter who is an avid backpacker. She did say thanks.

JoeHiker
09-15-2007, 10:36
i dont like the hennessey hammock co.anymore:cool: neo

Why don't you like them?