PDA

View Full Version : NC Mountains-To-Sea trail

Earl Grey
08-14-2006, 23:45
This trail will run from Clingmans Dome to Jockeys Ridge on the Outer Banks. Its not all complete yet but most of it is passable. Whats interesting about this trail is that its 934 miles and all contained in one state! Thats almost half the length of the AT! I may do this one as a "warmup" to the AT.

blackbishop351
08-14-2006, 23:54
If you look at some of the info on the MTST, you'll realize that most of it is along roads and through towns. Not my cup of tea. In fact, a large section runs along the "Greenway" here in Greensboro - a small road-like bike path.

However, the section that starts around Julian Price Park (BRP) and goes west is mostly trail. I've hiked this from Price Park to the western edge of Linville Gorge and it's awesome.

Ridge
08-15-2006, 00:01
The last time I checked the MTS trail was only about 1/2 finished. I also remember a heck of a lot of the trail will be asphalt, as in roads. I know they are advertising it as a hike and bike trail, which sounds pretty good if one plans on a combination of the two sports. It really didn't sound like the entire trail was all that suitable for foot travel, maybe my assumption is incorrect.

I will say the portion of trail in Pisgah NF is a really good trail to hike, especially in the Fall. I highly recommend it.

Earl Grey
08-15-2006, 00:23
If you look at some of the info on the MTST, you'll realize that most of it is along roads and through towns. Not my cup of tea. In fact, a large section runs along the "Greenway" here in Greensboro - a small road-like bike path.

However, the section that starts around Julian Price Park (BRP) and goes west is mostly trail. I've hiked this from Price Park to the western edge of Linville Gorge and it's awesome.

Dude I was just up there this weekend riding my bike around there. On Owls Roost Trail anyway. Then I biked over to the battleground and rode around it to take some pics. I havent put them on my website yet but soon.

The last time I checked the MTS trail was only about 1/2 finished. I also remember a heck of a lot of the trail will be asphalt, as in roads. I know they are advertising it as a hike and bike trail, which sounds pretty good if one plans on a combination of the two sports. It really didn't sound like the entire trail was all that suitable for foot travel, maybe my assumption is incorrect.

I will say the portion of trail in Pisgah NF is a really good trail to hike, especially in the Fall. I highly recommend it.

Do you have a map of this part of the trail? I googled some words but didnt come back with anything.

Ridge
08-15-2006, 00:43
http://www.ncmst.org/mstsections.htm

http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/

http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/pisgah/pisgah/davidson.html

Remember the MTS trail incorporates other established trails such as the Art Loeb Trail near Brevard and in the Pisgah NF. The above links will get you where you need to be. The Carolina Mtn Club is an AT maintenance club that offer organized hikes on a regular basis, which you do not need to be a member. They also maintain and have constructed some of the MTS in their area. I've take several hikes with them in the past. Nice folks.

Ridge
08-15-2006, 00:46
Another suggestion. Pilot Mtn on the Art Loeb/MTS trail offers the most spectacular sunrises and sunsets I've ever seen. Very tight spot to camp however.

blackbishop351
08-15-2006, 01:12
Do you have a map of this part of the trail? I googled some words but didnt come back with anything.

I found some really crappy trail layout maps a long time ago, then overlaid them on my Forest Service maps of the Wilson Creek, Linville Gorge, and BRP sections I was interested in. Surprisingly, it worked out fine...

I'll be happy to get them to you, if I can figure out HOW....I don't know if enough detail would come through on a scan.

The Solemates
08-15-2006, 09:44
look up grizzly adams on trailjournals. he hiked the MST last year and has a great journal.

ASUGrad
08-15-2006, 10:16
I can't imagine hiking through Eastern NC. Ugh.

headchange4u
08-15-2006, 10:36
I have a couple of the National Geographic Trails Illustrated maps of the AT and I noticed that the MTS trail was shown on some of those that are around the Hot Springs/Gatlinburg areas. I think the MTS trail is pink.

Big Dawg
08-15-2006, 10:43
I can't imagine hiking through Eastern NC. Ugh.

I agree,,,,,,, mountains---great, foothills---nice, beach----unique,,,,,, flatlands of eastern NC----doesn't sound appealing to me. Although, one day I'll probably complete the whole MST just b/c it's the "Long Trail" of my home state, NC.