PDA

View Full Version : Ridgerunner Article (8/14/2006)

c.coyle
08-15-2006, 06:59
"Ridgerunners patrol Appalachian Trail to help those less experienced make their way" (http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1155531344173740.xml&coll=1)

D'Artagnan
08-15-2006, 08:24
I especially liked Gregoire's quote, "I looked around and there was Wal-Mart, and that just wasn't going to happen." That just about sums it up.

Thanks for posting the article. Ridgerunners sometimes catch a lot of flak, but I believe they serve an important purpose. I'm just glad there are qualified folks willing to take on the responsibility for $8/hour.

wilconow
08-15-2006, 09:04
On the job, ridgerunners meet "through-hikers," seasoned backpackers who dedicate months to trekking the entire trail.

"They have the scraggly beards, lots of equipment -- pots, maybe, hanging off a pack," Wright said. "You can often smell them coming."

:confused:

Ridge
08-16-2006, 01:37
The part where the lost hikers where looking for a water fountain in the article that C.Coyle linked to, reminded me of a group asking me if the shelters had a pay phone. This was back before the Cell Phone explosion.

gsingjane
08-16-2006, 06:50
My Girl Scouts are uniformly shocked to discover that there are no restroom facilities (save privies) along the trail.

Jane in CT

p.s. Thanks for posting the article, I enjoyed it!

StarLyte
08-16-2006, 07:57
"Ridgerunners patrol Appalachian Trail to help those less experienced make their way" (http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1155531344173740.xml&coll=1)

Thanks for posting this C.Coyle (like yer new avatar)......

A very special ridgerunner helped me once.

I counted on a water source once and it was dried up so I continued hiking because I didn't want to set up camp and then wake up with no water. It led me into such anxiety. I met an AT Ridgerunner; he stated that all the water sources were dried up in the area and gave me his water. I had to blue blaze. I will never forget him.

I met a new AT Ridgerunner at Blackburn around Memorial Day weekend named Jim, I wonder how he is doing. Anybody seen him? He was a very quiet and gentle man, tall, beard, salt and pepper hair.

mingo
08-16-2006, 11:18
many ridgerunners are nice but there are a couple in the smokies who are real pains in the ass. boy scouts. take themselves way too seriously

Rain Man
08-16-2006, 12:59
I hiked the AT section through Great Smoky Mountain National Park last year. Met two Ridgerunners, one near Fontana and another close Tri-corner Knob Shelter. Very nice guys.

Rain:sunMan