PDA

View Full Version : Detectoring

Newb
08-15-2006, 09:38
is the use of a metal detector permitted anywhere along the trail? I know it's not legal in National parks and state parks.

RockyTrail
08-15-2006, 22:45
As far as I know, you are free to listen out for any kind of music you want to hear out there:D

saimyoji
08-16-2006, 02:32
I just checked with the AT officials and they said that all valuables must be returned to:

PO Box 583
Allentown,
PA 18106

:D:D:D

saimyoji
08-16-2006, 02:34
I just checked with the AT officials and they said that all valuables must be returned to:

PO Box 583
Allentown,
PA 18106

:D:D:D

Now for the the disclaimer: THIS IS NOT MY PO BOX. IF YOU SEND SOMETHING TO THIS PO BOX YOU WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY AND ALL LIABILITY THAT MAY BE INCURRED THEREIN.

Programbo
08-17-2006, 19:40
is the use of a metal detector permitted anywhere along the trail? I know it's not legal in National parks and state parks.

Speaking of that..Awhile ago..Oh maybe 10 years back..My brother and I were walking up the C & O Canal near Harpers Ferry after a huge flood (After the water had gone back down) looking for old junk and came to some yellow policeline like tape announcing this was National Park land and entry was off limits untill farther notice (I guess because of flood damage or whatever)..But we entered anyway and were strolling up the canal bed and I spied a long pointy rusty looking metal thing sticking up from the gravel...I went over and pulled it up and immediately recognized it as a Civil War bayonet..Very rusted to be sure but complete....I think if you do take a metal detector that a few places here in Maryland would be great as there were a few very little known skirmishes in the Civil War fought in some of the gaps along the AT

Smile
08-17-2006, 20:23
Whatcha hunting for?

Newb
08-18-2006, 07:49
I'm not looking to go dig up battlefields. I just wanna snoop around places that people have gathered in the past...like old homestead sites, etc. I wouldn't use a detector on the CandO since that's off limits. Most of the gaps in Maryland have state parks in them, too.
You have to really know where you are at all times.