PDA

View Full Version : Gaiters..are they necessary?

nano
08-15-2006, 14:46
Are gaiters necessary on the AT? It seems like it would help but....can someone with experience with gaiters help? (I will be wearing trail shoes, not boots)

hopefulhiker
08-15-2006, 14:49
I liked to wear the short ones with the trail shoes, helped to keep stones and water out.

hammock engineer
08-15-2006, 14:50
I used to hate them. Then I bought a pair on sale at Campmor. After using them in the muddy trails around where I live, I will definitely to taking them with me.

Get an inexpensive pair and try them out for yourself. Half the people here will say yes, the other half will say no.

Jack Tarlin
08-15-2006, 15:00
I've never worn them. If I get a stick or pebble in my boot, then I welcome the opportunity to take a moment's rest and dig it out.

Gaiters might keep your socks and boots drier, but in a real driving rain, you're feel are gonna get soaked anyway.

Some folks feel that gaiters are a protection against ticks and snakes.
Ticks, maybe. Snakes, no.

The answer to your question, "Are gaiters necessary?" is "No, they're not. But some folks find them worth the trouble."

Alligator
08-15-2006, 15:04
I still use mine in the winter, but have abandoned them the rest of the year since converting to trail runners. My trail runners (Salomon) have a cord lock that makes getting them on and off quite easy. No tying. They are also non-Gore tex, so gaitors wouldn't be useful keeping water out as they are half mesh anyway.

I don't really get much in the shoe though. Might be different on scree, but I can't say there's much of that on the AT.

You can get a really cheap pair of short gaitors from www.mec.ca (http://www.mec.ca) if you ever order from there.

Time To Fly 97
08-15-2006, 15:04
How often to you expect to see:

Heavy rain (pants protect against light rain), snow over your boots (I use lows, so this is very possible), deep puddles, dew soaked overgrowth, Summertime dusty trail with little pieces of gravel...

Gaitors certainly serve a purpose, but are optional gear in my opinion. I use them, but consider them a convenience.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Footslogger
08-15-2006, 15:07
Not necessary but they are worth it to me. Used them my entire thru in 2003. Had the shorties in the beginning but switched over a pair of high ones in DWG. When it was warm I just loosened them and pushed them down. BUT ...when the weather started to get cold they served as my lower pant legs, since I hiked most of the trail in shorts.

'Slogger

nano
08-15-2006, 15:15
Thanks everyone! I will be wearing shorts the whole way so I think some light, long ones would help against mosquitoes, sunburn, and could be used as rain pants. If I can't find some lightweight ones then Im not going to use them.

http://nanodiaries.blogspot.com

Alligator
08-15-2006, 15:23
Thanks everyone! I will be wearing shorts the whole way so I think some light, long ones would help against mosquitoes, sunburn, and could be used as rain pants. If I can't find some lightweight ones then Im not going to use them.

http://nanodiaries.blogspot.com The long ones are good at preventing sunburn. Then again though, once the canopy fills out, sunburn is not nearly as big an issue. I burn relatively easy too BTW.

nano
08-15-2006, 15:26
I don't sunburn easily, but when I backpacked the JMT I walked in miles of snow while the sun was out and thats why I got sunburn. Forget gaiters, I have decided they are unnecessary for me. Thanks to everyone who responded!!!:)

squivens
08-15-2006, 18:54
I use them year round, depending on where I'm hiking. I will be wearing them on my thru.

map man
08-15-2006, 19:14
I have a knack for getting lots of pebbles and twigs in my shoes. Since I started wearing a short pair of gaiters I don't have that problem anymore. And last I heard, the AT still has lots of pebbles and twigs.

wilderness bob
08-15-2006, 19:38
One other thing to note when wearing gators. They actually help keep your socks clean (except for sweat of course). Dirt, stones and debris wear out your socks early if you don't use gators (IMO). A quick rinse and hang your socks inside out on your pack, since they are not soiled, this is a great way for them to last longer between washing them in a washing machine. Also be prepared to replace the Gator's string that runs under the boot as it wears out quickly. Replace them with a heavier cord before you hike (as a suggestion).

the_iceman
08-15-2006, 20:18
I use them all the time. It keeps the mud off the inside of my legs, helps with ticks, etc. I was out on the trail a few weeks ago and passed a lot of thru-hikers. I would say more wore gaiters than not. Never did catch the barefoot hiker, he was 1/2 a day ahead on my last day so I do not know if he had any.

feel naked with out them.

neo
08-15-2006, 22:02
gaiters are like shelters on the AT,they suck:cool: neo

nicodemus
08-16-2006, 00:07
I wear mine on every single hike I go on....I'm a messy hiker, I recognize this, and to compensate for the fact that I walk like a moose, gaiters keep my feet happy. I use the short ones from OR, but the long ones from Black Diamond are good also. Since they weigh nothing and are never in your pack where's the harm?

lonehiker
08-16-2006, 01:00
I wear them on all of my hikes. Seems that any opinions of any substance are pro gaitor........ Are there any cons to wearing them? Weight perhaps?

Ridge
08-16-2006, 01:58
I wore short Outdoor Research (OR) gaiters. They keep out trash, elements, small critters. They also protect laces, keeps them tied, protect the majority of the boots, but most of all they do a heck of a job keeping socks clean and from snagging. They keep the feet much warmer in cold weather (the down side is wearing them in warm weather). Ice will build up on the heel or sole cord and you have to knock it off occasionally with your stick. I also used them as knee pads when building a fire, staking the tent or cooking on the ground. They're not necessary, but I sure like'em and highly recommend them.

Heater
08-16-2006, 01:59
I wear them on all of my hikes. Seems that any opinions of any substance are pro gaitor........ Are there any cons to wearing them? Weight perhaps?

Nerdish suntan. :D

Smile
08-16-2006, 02:10
Teva tans and gaiter tans are cool, show you've been there, done that ;-)

IMHO, definately worth taking, if I had to sit down and rest every time I got something in my shoe, I would never make it to the next shelter! Shorties are best, and not so hot, even in cold weather legs can get sweaty hot under gaitors.

HIKER7s
08-16-2006, 06:16
I like to wear them and would encourage potential users to wear them on your shakedowns in areas where their assets are defined. Really a happy small victory after a mud-slogging day of sitting down at your destination and unwraping your mud encased package to reveal nice clean boot lacings.

jazilla
08-16-2006, 08:33
I made a pair and since I won't hike with out them. I get lots of small pebbles and sticks cause I like to walk with loose shoes. It helps to not have to stop every 5 feet to take something out of my shoe.

Alligator
08-16-2006, 08:47

They can be hot, creating sweatier feet and the potential for blisters.

Fuss factor for the cords.

If you are wearing them because you don't like to stop and take off your shoes, you are less likely to stop and air out your feet when wet.

They do have weight, fairly negligible but it is on your feet/legs. If you multiply that out by the 5-6X weight on the feet factor, a 2 oz pair of gaitors is worth 5-6 pairs of socks in the pack. (My short socks weigh 2 oz.) And that 2 oz is generous IMO for the gaiters, the MEC one's I listed were 100g=3.5 oz, OR's shorties are 4.5 oz.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=24905727&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

There are trade-offs either way. I found my blister problems dramatically increased when I switched to Gore-tex boots and gaitors. I have pretty average sweaty feet. No sweat problems in everyday settings. When I switched to trail runners and left off the gaitors, the blisters subsided greatly. YMMV.

the_iceman
08-16-2006, 08:57
Alligator - I noticed you switched to trail runners, did you have goretex boots before?

I wear gaiters all the time and I sweat like a pig but have no issues with my feet sweating too much unless I am wearing goretex boots. My summer gaiters are just an old pair of coated nylon I bought 20 years ago.

Goretex does not breathe as fast as I sweat so I look for non-goretex boots for the summer.

The weight thing is correct. However, if you try them then stuff them in your pack it will be like SAVING wieght since they FEEL lighter in your pack then on your feet.

BTW - Same is true for your boots. If you really want to FEEL like your are saving weight carry them in your pack.:)

lonehiker
08-16-2006, 09:04
I agree with the cord problem. After much aggravation, I finally just quit using them and haven't had any significant problem. The brand I use is the OR Rocky Mtn Low and it has the hook in front and seems to do the trick.

I think that it was on one of Lynn Wheldon's hiking videos (CDT?) that one of the interviewees said that they sewed a little velcro on the back of their shoes and the gaitors. That would solve the problem.

Alligator
08-16-2006, 09:22
Alligator - I noticed you switched to trail runners, did you have goretex boots before?...I had light hiking goretex boots and still have full grain leather non-goretex boots, both of which I have used with the gaitors.

IMO, boots are overrated in the spring-fall so I use non-goretex trail runners. Since they can get wet, the added wetness protection of gaitors is moot. Since they are half mesh, fine dust gets in, so the added dirt protection of gaitors is also moot. Since I wear low socks, there is nothing to snag. The cordlock on my laces tucks under a flap, mud is not a problem. Mud on legs gives me that "been there done that" look;) . My daily mileage is very good for a section hiker, so stopping every so often should a pebble intrude does not appear to be a problem.

Of course, when it rains, my feet get wet. My socks do get dirtier, moreso from the open mesh than anything else.

The weight thing is correct. However, if you try them then stuff them in your pack it will be like SAVING wieght since they FEEL lighter in your pack then on your feet.

BTW - Same is true for your boots. If you really want to FEEL like your are saving weight carry them in your pack.:)
Now now if you want to save weight after trying them, you just leave them at home:) . I get just about 2 pairs of socks between having the gaitors in the pack and the socks in the pack.

Alligator
08-16-2006, 09:25
I agree with the cord problem. After much aggravation, I finally just quit using them and haven't had any significant problem. The brand I use is the OR Rocky Mtn Low and it has the hook in front and seems to do the trick.

I think that it was on one of Lynn Wheldon's hiking videos (CDT?) that one of the interviewees said that they sewed a little velcro on the back of their shoes and the gaitors. That would solve the problem.I did away with the cord on my boots no problem (at least for my short ones, I pretty much stopped using the long ones, even in winter. But it was needed if I wanted to use them with my trail runners. I think the flat strap kind may be more durable but never owned a pair like those.

Velcro might work in the warmer months, but I would be interested in knowing how well it worked in the winter. I wonder if ice and snow might build up on it?

Footslogger
08-16-2006, 09:53
The tall gaiters I have use a sturdy flat rubberized strap under the sole of the shoe/boot. Hiked them all the way from DWG to Katahdin and they are still holding up.

For what it's worth ...I switched over to parachute cord on my lower gaiters (OR Rocky Mtn Lows) and it seems to last a lot longer than the stuff that OR uses.

'Slogger

Big Dawg
08-16-2006, 10:39
gaiters are like shelters on the AT,they suck:cool: neo

awww c'mon Neo, you know if they made camo gaiters, you'd buy a pair. LOL :D

nano
08-16-2006, 11:58
If anyone's looking for a lightweight gaiter look no further than the Montbell Stretch gaiter

http://argear.com/gear/grmontbellstretchgaiters.html

http://nanodiaries.blogspot.com

the_iceman
08-16-2006, 14:29
the under the boot cords feel off off mine about 10 years ago and I just cut off the excess. I rely on the lace hook period. The issue with that is that it sometimes gets crushed closed and I have to pry it back open.

Blue Sky II
08-20-2006, 09:53
Nano,
It's personal preference on the AT and I also wear trail shoes.
Some hikers, like me, have a stride that kicks-up trail debris and mud. Other hikers don't have that problem or just don't seem to mind. I wear gaiters when the trail is sloppy, for tick and biting bug protection, stinging nettle protection, or for warmth in cooler months.
In the summer, I can hike cooler and faster without gaiters.
All that being said. If you're doing a spring thru-hike you're likely to hit a lot of sloppy trail and need gailters with your low-top hiking shoes.

Rain
08-20-2006, 23:12
I prefer long gaiters until the weather turns warm. They function as my removable pant legs. Nice and warm. Though I STILL have my knee band/long gaiter tan. ....wonder if its ever going to go away....

mweinstone
08-21-2006, 19:30
nano, the well loved starter of such threads as gaiters, to be or not to be,... and,.. will you please stop posting !,...was recently caught trying to end this thread. twice she thanks us and dumps us. then she posts a gaiter witch will fufill everyones gaiter needs so there wont be any need for more disscusion. i think i see whats going on here. bit off more than you could chew eh? well let me tell you somthing little miss bikini gaters.gaters are big medicine around here and we fight to the death over such things. tired of talking about gaters? never i say to you mamm! why that would be like being tired of talking about,....poles or no poles?,.... or,...filter or pills?,......or ,....mail drops or not? no, i think we will keep talking to you nano,.. all about gaters. for the rest of your natural life.

this post contains humor. matthewski is not responsible for outdated or non funny material.

tarbender
08-22-2006, 13:57
They still have a time and place. For me that time and place was in GSMNP in December. Many conditions do not warrant their use. There are conditions that do. You make the call.

Outlaw
08-22-2006, 14:22
Both my son/hiking partner and I recently switched from boots to trail shoes. We've always worn low gaiters, but they didn't fit comfortably nor do their intended job with low trail shoes. I found The North Face Scree Gaiters II and the best part is they're only $10! :) Go to: http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?site=NA&model=A789&dc=002 .

They appear to be of the same design/construction as the gaiters Nano posted above but a whole lot cheaper. We haven't tried them out yet on the trail, but they seem to fit snugger and are designed specifically for trail shoes (especially some select models of TNF shoes). We''ll be testing them out on our 5 days in the backwoods of the Adirondacks starting Friday. :banana

Southern Comfort
08-22-2006, 15:07
Go for the short Outdoor Research model...I wore Nike trail runners the whole way and wouldn't consider wearing them without gaiters. Take plenty of 550 cord to tie new straps under your arch...

Outlaw
08-22-2006, 15:43
The problem I found wearing trail shoes w/ the OR gaiter is that it tends to ride up in the back and no longer offers protection from scree, etc. from getting in. The TNF gaiter (I mentioned above) has a a total of 4 hooks (one on the back) so that you can easily and effectively hold the gaiter down on all sides. They're extremely lightweight & cheap to boot!

Peaks
08-22-2006, 17:07
Gaiters help keep skree out of your boots, and keep your socks cleaner. They are probably more useful with low boots than mid ankle boots. Also, if wearing long pants, they are redundant.

Myself, I use gaiters when the trail is wet and muddy. Otherwise, I don't use them. And I wear a mid ankle high boot. Thus, said, if I were to do the AT again, I would probably use them only in the Northern States.

mweinstone
08-30-2006, 18:12
ters are not needed. i use them to look cool.

Cuffs
08-31-2006, 09:56
Just a quick thought on gaitors... I use them when bushwhacking on my new farm to clear fence lines... I love them since I have to traverse huge expanses of brambles/briars. The one thing I would change on them is the hook that catches your shoe/boot laces. Besides brambles, I've had to go through vines and other low lying brush. My OR gaitors hook points up through the laces. This just causes and extra place to get hung up on vines/brush. If you find that youre getting gaitors, I would highly suggest that you find a pair that hook down into the laces, or modify ones that hook upward... Granted, there may not be much area like what I have on the Trail, but if you ever take a side track for whatever reason, it might be worth it not to be hassled with hang ups.

mweinstone
08-31-2006, 22:41
up pointing hooks? thats unheard of! sounds like youve been hooked up with some bad hookers.personaly id call the company and ask to speak to the head pimp.tell him his hookers are getting upity.

highway
09-01-2006, 06:57
They would really look even goofier over my sandals!:p

Spiritual Pillgrim
09-06-2006, 05:30
I used tall ones down south and was glad to have them while in the snow. Later I got short ones, but hardly used them so I sent 'em home.

mweinstone
09-06-2006, 20:13
but i use straiters. i find gayters to be too fussy.

boarstone
09-06-2006, 20:46
Are gaiters necessary on the AT? It seems like it would help but....can someone with experience with gaiters help? (I will be wearing trail shoes, not boots)
I've only used them for winter forays out into the white stuff, XC skiing, snowshoeing, walking but mostly they are great for ice fishing when drilling those fish holes! Once the ice augur breaks through up comes all that water and the gaiters keep the water off your lower legs and out of your boots.:)

rockrat
09-06-2006, 22:13
I wear goretex trail runners, and the for my thru in 2007 I'm bringing a cheap pair along until I get out of Mt. Rogers. I hate hiking in snow without them, and when it gets misty in the Smokies and Va Highlands the water soaks my legs and socks which is no fun.

MedicineMan
09-07-2006, 00:12
1. they are like having a pair of pants on that dont restrict the knees
2. yep they do keep crap out of the boot and socks cleaner but not
realy dryer unless you get goretex gaiters and even then depending
on how many jules your putting out
3. I dissagree with Jack a bit on the snake thing...any material the fangs
have to go through decrease the depth of the envenomization, and the
difference might make a difference in getting venom into a vein or not
but the odds of getting snakebit on the AT are too small to worry about
4. the best thing about gaiters is that you can put the insecticide/repellan
on the gaiters and not your skin
5. they are especially good for the wet fields, even if over long pants
6. if you're cooling off or if a stiff wind comes up they are quicker (well for
me) to put on then zip on legs, maybe its just the zip off pants i've tried?
7. gaiters will prevent snags on your laces and boot hardware, doesnt happen
often at all but just another plus
8. they are available in very lightweight models, some very low and of spandex
good for sand/dessert hiking-used a pair of these on the Bright Angel Trail
and found them well worth the extra weight keeping sand out of the boot
9. water bags, if you get the long gaiters you could use them for emergency
water bags...