PDA

View Full Version : Looking for hike in Penn.

joec
08-15-2006, 15:28
I am taking my wife on this one so it has to be mostly flat to downhill and about 10 miles or so with one overnite. We usually take a shuttle out of town and hike back into it, so the downhill part usually takes care of itself. Would prefer a southern Penn hike as we are coming up from NC to Harpers Ferry then onto Penn. Thanks for any advice.

saimyoji
08-15-2006, 15:41
I could recommend some hikes for you but I think this is a better idea:

Take a trip to your local outfitter or any large bookstore. Browse the books on hikes in PA. Pay attention to the trail profiles. Good luck.

fiddlehead
08-15-2006, 21:04
Southern PA is not the best part of PA (IMO of course.)
There are way too many small road crossings to even begin to think you are in the woods, and then you have the Cumberland valley part which used to be the famous road walk but is now just through some corn fields and the like. (the AT switches mtn. ranges here and they don't have much choice on where to put the trail)
I think you could do better by starting around Duncannon or even further north. Possibly start at Dehart dam (and head back to Duncannon or actually the next section north of there is much better yet but the shuttle could be a problem. Starting around PA 443 to Dehart Dam (southbound)
(I'm doing all this from memory and don't have a data book here with me)
But that could be tough for a shuttle as there's no phone and you are in a valley that cell phones might not work. anyway, i'm sure you'll get more answers here, but that's my opinion of PA.

c.coyle
08-16-2006, 07:36
I agree with Fiddlehead.

If you can do 16.5 miles over two days, consider Swatara Gap (Route 72 or Route 443) south to Clark's Valley (Route 325). This is St. Anthony's Wilderness, in the middle of Pa. (Pa. Section 7 if you have the maps).

From 72, you gently climb Second Mountain, then descend into Rausch Gap on an old stagecoach road, about 6 miles. Stay overnight at or near R.G. Shelter. Next day, about 10 1/2 easy, mostly on-the-ridge miles. The last 3 miles to Route 325 are downhill on an old fire road which gets a little rutty toward the bottom. A relocation is under construction.

This section is remote and serene, with no public road crossings. Water is plentiful at Rausch Creek and Rattling Run. The only drawback is no views, unless you get off the AT.

I've left cars at the Route 325 Game Commission lot several times, no problem. Leaving a car at the Swatara Gap end, especially at the Route 443 lot, can be a little dicey.

saimyoji
08-16-2006, 23:30
Does it have to be a hike on the AT? There are thousand of miles of trails in PA that are not on the AT that ARE MUCH BETTER for your purposes. The AT is typically steep up and down, rocky as hell with few decent views and few really pleasant walks.

Check out some of the other hiking options away from the AT. Your wife may appreciate it.

Some ideas: Caledonia. Pine Grove. Laurel Highlands.

saimyoji
08-16-2006, 23:34
You didn't post a date as to when you're planning to hike. This may also make a difference (ice).

If you can get a hold of the PA section of trail maps, they have lots of detail including views, elevation change, water sources, road crossings.....check them out if you can.

IMO we can give you all kinds of advice, but you'll do better to choose (with your wife) the best hike for you. There are TONS of books on hiking in PA. I have at least 10 and they've all been helpful.

joec
08-17-2006, 08:47
My wife and I have a goal to hike (together) at least one hike in each of the states the AT is a part of. I will do more than that but she wants lesser milage. We are doing Harpers Ferry area the first week of Sept. and going on up to Penn. to do a overnite. There is a state park at South Mountain that we may do our Penn. hike in. Thanks for all the responses.

Toolshed
08-17-2006, 09:35
If that's the case, I would either recommend Pine Grove Furnace - Micheaux State Forest. Perhaps from Shippensburg Road to Pine Grove furnace - A nice very easy Approx. 9-10 mile backpack with a L/T about 7 miles in.

Or perhaps from Fox Gap to Delaware Water Gap, at the far Eastern side of the state - The last 8 miles in PA. There are views to enjoy and the walking is easy with a big downhill into DEG. You can either stay at the old Kirkridge Shleter or set up a tent and the huge overlook about 1/8 mile further past the shelter.

I also like the Rausch Gap section (St. Anthony's Wilderness) and if it is too long, you can always take the abandoned railway - now a dirt State Game Commission Road right from the RG shelter 3 miles out to the State Game Commission parking lot (a lot of folks bike this road) on day 2. I think it is called Stony Valley Road.

saimyoji
08-17-2006, 10:57
Just to update you Toolshed, the old shelter at Kirkridge is now brand new. Perhaps in the past year or so. A very nice, clean, spacious, re****l place with reliable water nearby.

trailangelmary
08-18-2006, 11:50
http://www.satc-hike.org/hikemap.html
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/StAnthonyWilderness/anthony.htm

Toolshed
08-18-2006, 13:32
Just to update you Toolshed, the old shelter at Kirkridge is now brand new. Perhaps in the past year or so. A very nice, clean, spacious, re****l place with reliable water nearby.
Really??? It is one of those close wonders (like growing up near Niagara Falls) - I always have another time to go there and check it out.

It's a 25 minute drive - I'll head in there this weekend to take a look.
Thanks
!!!!

emerald
08-18-2006, 18:31

The site of the only developed water source east of Eckville in the A.T. corridor, I believe. We should have more of them. On my thru-hike, I walked 30 miles to Kirkridge Shelter in July having begun at sunrise at George W. Outerbridge Shelter. Definately not for everyone, but that water source I was counting on did not fail me.

People wonder about the issue of trail magic and providing water to hikers? There are two other threads to discuss that issue for those who are interested, I merely wanted to point out that developing water sources where there are not reliable sources may be a better alternative in eastern Pennsylvania than relying on trail magic. That idea likely applies elsewhere too.

Toolshed
08-19-2006, 09:39
Up in some of the Northern Parks where the Susquehannock, Black Forest and West Rim Trail run through, (Ole Bull, Cherry Run, Bradley Wales and others) the DER has groundwater wells with handpumps on them. You have to pump for a minute or two and then water comes out. I have always thought several of them would work great on the AT. No concerns with freezing weather bursting the pipes and since it is a closed type system, you don't have to worry about contamination.