PDA

View Full Version : Proposed 1,100 acre Blue Mountain Resort Proposed

Ridge
08-15-2006, 21:55
http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060815/NEWS/608150351/-1/NEWS01

Terraducky
08-15-2006, 22:46
Funny- we just hiked from Lehigh Gap to Wind Gap this past weekend. I am sad that another Pocono area might fall prey to the tourist industry. This area is rapidly being eaten up by housing developments, so which is worse? I got the feeling that this part of the trail was remote enough that there weren't many people passing thru but us. Guess that could all change soon.

Toolshed
08-16-2006, 12:10
Problem is that the folks around here that are on the town boards/supervisors see this as more tax revenue for a bunch of vacant land and don't really think of the value of open spaces 20-50 years from now.

They also have a glint of greed in their eyes, thinking about the profits from all of the services and establishments needed to cover 4,500 people per day in their vacation homes and time shares. If they don't agee to it, somone esle will and they will have lost out.
Egads!!!!

c.coyle
08-16-2006, 13:21
We got two threads going on this. Maybe the admins can combine them

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16765

saimyoji
08-16-2006, 23:17
Nah, this kind of outrage deserves two threads. The people on the town boards, committees are the same people who flunk the science classes in high school. If there was some kind of a test required to serve in these positions, other than a popular vote, I think we'd see different results. But then there's still the vote and the people voting aren't necessarily reliable either. I know, a test before you can vote. Just being a citizen isn't enough. You need to NOT be a total raving IDIOT before you can influence important decision making.

Guess that rules me out. Damn. :mad:

Newb
08-21-2006, 16:11
Let's face it...Eventually the entire trail, including GSMNP and all the other parks are all doomed. The Developers have no souls and would pave over the graves of their own ancestors to build a memorial to the same.

Nearly Normal
08-22-2006, 01:48
I find that with most development on private land, the owners can't seem to say no. A 100 acre track owner next to areas of growth can't turn down the kind of money development offers. Grandpa bought the place for $50-100 per acre and now its worth 10,000 to 100,000 per acre. Taxes are a problem also. That's the problem we have along the coast. The mountain areas too. The local counties love the increased tax base. There's no stringless incentive offered for the land owner.
Pete