PDA

View Full Version : Ladies that use the ULA Catalyst, needing some advice

Michele
08-16-2006, 14:41
This is a question for the ladies, however, if you're a man with large breasts, you might be able to chime in as well! :D

I went out for my first shakedown hike last weekend. I've got the ULA Catalyst (as the title so obviously suggests). I have all of my gear in it as well (not sacks of rice and beans). My question is about the shoulder and chest strap. I follow the directions given by Brian as far as order of strap tightening, but I'm finding that I can't quite get these two straps right. Either I'm tightening the chest strap tight enough to prevent the shoulder straps from digging into my armpit (which then makes it a bit difficult to breathe full breaths) or, I leave the chest strap loose enough to breathe just fine, and the shoulder straps are kind of rubbing right where my armpit and arm meet.

What order to you tighten your straps, and do any ladies have any suggestions for me to mess w/this and figure it out? I REALLY want to make this pack work....I love everything about it, but obviously, I can't wear a pack that doesn't quite fit me right. Thanks for your help.

Also, I'm assuming I'm experiencing this issue due to breasts, but if I am incorrect in this assumption, I'm open to any/all advice from anyone in the know. Thanks!

StarLyte
08-16-2006, 15:01
Hey Michele-

I don't have ULA Catalyst, but I've worn many different packs.

You need to tighten the shoulder straps FIRST then the sternum strap. When removing the pack, always unfasten your sternum strap first.

I would also suggest wearing your pack fully loaded and going to a local outfitter to have it adjusted by someone who backpacks and is experienced in adjusting one. Too bad you didn't live closer to the trail. Maybe someone here on the list can help you too.

That sternum strap always gives me a problem no matter what pack I'm wearing. You're right, it's a little hard breathing if it's too tight. The strap is even annoying.

the_iceman
08-16-2006, 15:10
How old a pack is it? Mine just shipped but there was a version that had strap issues that Brian addressed. It was as you described, people with a little extra flesh in that area were getting pinched. He went back to the old style straps.

the_iceman
08-16-2006, 15:28
Check this out:

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551

jbchiker
08-16-2006, 16:29
I also have the Catalyst - just got it a few weeks ago. Did you get the list of instructions that came with it?
1. Loosen all straps before putting the pack on.
2. Once pack is on, secure hipbelt around waist snugging up the 1" buckle and lightly pulling on the webbing (alternating) between sides. Hipbone should be near the middle of the hipbelt padding. You can move the hipbelt up or down ~1" for adjustment. Make sure the load stabilizers attached to the pack are loose.
3. Tighten shoulder straps by pulling downward on the 3/4" webbing. If the hipbelt comes up the shoulder straps are too tight.
4. Buckle the strenum strap and loosen/tighten as necessary. If sternum straps are turning inward the sternum strap is too tight.
5. Loadlifter straps (on top of the shoulder straps, running to the top of the pack) should be adjusted so the attachment point on the shoulder strap is located on the top of your shoulder. Tighten strap slightly.
6. Snug up the hipbelt load stabilizers (3/4" webbing attahed to the pack sides and hipbelt.
7. Reapeat theses steps each time you saddle up.
When I ordered mine I specifically requested a woman specific pack. Brian is great to work with (although right now he is out on a hike.)
Also make sure that you (if you ordered the framesheet) adjust it so that it conforms to your back by slightly bending where needed. You may need someone to help you with that though.
Hope this helps :-)
jbchiker

Lilred
08-16-2006, 17:01
If your sternum strap is making it hard to breathe, then you may have it too high up. It should not be across your throat. It should be very low, across your sternum. My strap runs across the top of my breasts. Also, the loadlifter straps should not be tightened down. They should be pulled just until it tightens, but don't pull them tight. If you pull them too tight, it will cause your shoulder straps to cut into your armpits. Hope this helps.

Michele
08-16-2006, 22:10
When I ordered mine I specifically requested a woman specific pack. Brian is great to work with (although right now he is out on a hike.)jbchiker

I had no idea Brian offered a woman-specific pack. I never saw that option on his website. So what's different about it? Is it just the straps?

I think I'll take it and all my gear to a local outfitters as suggested and get some help as well. I'm also going to mess around with how I load my pack, as I suspect weight distribution could also affect all of this too.

DawnTreader
08-16-2006, 23:25
it all depends on when you got the pack....check out the practical backpacking link.. there was some fleshy chested people that had the exact same problem with the pinching.. some were pretty serious when all said and done.. He started putting the old style p-2 shoulder straps back on the Catalyst. Regardless, I think you will have to wait a while, as I believe Brian is hiking right now.. check ula-equipment.com.... I'd try calling... Once you its comfortable I think you'll love the pack.. I have it and it treated me very well
Peace

Michele
08-17-2006, 08:38
Check this out:

http://www.practicalbackpacking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551

So by looking at the pics of the old vs. new straps and hearing what all of you are saying, it sounds like I may need to have him put the older style straps back on. They look like they are not as wide, which I think could be the issue. I do know that Brian is on vacation right now, and seeing I don't leave till next March, I've got some time. Just goes to prove it's smart to try to get your gear early enough to be able to deal with these types of things. Just for my own personal education/comparison, I ordered an Osprey Ariel 65 and want to see how differently it feels. I really hope the Catalyst is it, because it has so much more volume and weighs over 1 lb LESS, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to just see what it's like. I'm going to take the Catalyst, all my gear, and go try on both packs thsi weekend I think. Thanks for the advice everyone!

the_iceman
08-17-2006, 20:16
I spoke (email) with Brian on Sunday 8/13/06 and he was getting ready to head out but will be back in November.

Michelle, when did you get the pack because I think he went back to the old style straps a while ago. Search for Catalyst on this web site. I think I saw a discussion about the straps here and Brian responded at the time. That would help determine which version of the straps you have.

Michele
08-17-2006, 20:53
I spoke (email) with Brian on Sunday 8/13/06 and he was getting ready to head out but will be back in November.

Michelle, when did you get the pack because I think he went back to the old style straps a while ago. Search for Catalyst on this web site. I think I saw a discussion about the straps here and Brian responded at the time. That would help determine which version of the straps you have.

I just got my pack out and compared it to the pics on that link. I definitely have the new straps on my pack. I ordered it on 6/30/06 and got it pretty quickly (much quicker than expected)....in July actually. I'm guessing he had this pack already made, perhaps before changing back to the old straps, but knowing all of this now, I think I'll contact him when he gets back in November, and see if he can change the straps out. This has been most helpful everyone. I want this pack to be THE pack for me, so I'm willing to try just about anything to make it fit.