PDA

View Full Version : Seam Sealing

moondoggy
08-16-2006, 15:34
Just purchased a Eurkea Apex 2xta tent. Any suggestions on a good commercial seam sealer?? Or sould I just thin down some acrylic caulk (as I've read on WB)
Tent is mostly constructed of Standard Taffeta.....

I'd appreciate any information.

Thanks

swift
08-16-2006, 15:59
Although Silnet is the standard for sealing silicone-impregnated nylon it also works great on other nylons as well because it flows into the needle holes rather than covering them up. An alternative to Silnet which I think is actually superior is flowable silicone windshield glass sealant that you can buy at Autozone or PepBoys for 1/2 the price of Silnet. It dries to a harder finish and does stick to silicone-impregnated materials. Don't take my word for it though, buy a tube and test it out on a scrap piece of nylon. I think you'll be convinced.

There are water-based seam sealers also that people swear by but my view is if it is water-based isn't also water-soluble?

RockyTrail
08-16-2006, 17:36
McNett seam-sealer is good for regular urethane-coated nylon tents.
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48072717&parent_category_rn=4500661&vcat=

Yes, it is "water-based" but that does not mean it is water-soluble after it dries. There are many paints today that water is used as the vehicle (it carries the compound) but then later the water evaporates. Oil-based paints use evaporating solvent in a similar way but the EPA is pressuring them to reduce the VOCs (volatile organic componds i.e. oil-based solvents) so water-based paints are becoming more common.

If you are seam-sealing silnylon however, use a pure silicone caulk like GE Silicone II thinned with odorless mineral spirits, nothing else will stick to silnylon.

moondoggy
08-17-2006, 12:08
Thanks Guys, As always, I really appreciate the information...

dloome
08-17-2006, 21:28
Silicone caulking as found at a hardware store rocks, it's cheap and works as well as anything. Make sure to cut the tip carefully and practice a bit before applying to your tent, it's easy to get all over the place if you're not careful and is a pain to clean up. I think the only advantage of the pricey seam sealers is that they apply easier.