PDA

View Full Version : A.T. Museum and significant A.T. individuals

eArThworm
08-16-2006, 18:36
The President of the Appalachian Trail Museum Society, Larry Luxenberg, has asked me to head up the "Priority Collections" committee. The charge for this committee is to identify significant A. T. figures whose memorabilia should be preserved, to gather contact information for those people or their families, and to be sure the contacts are made and documented. Too often people die and their A.T. items are discarded or scattered before the Museum knows to ask for them. Or contemporary hikers aren't aware that their "stuff" is of value to the Museum; or they don't know how to contact the Museum.

We are in the process of building a database of people who should be contacted. Of course Earl Shaffer's family is already on board. We have some items from Sam Waddle and we hope to have more when his family is ready to part with them. And there are others, such as Flyin' Brian Robinson, who have donated items. Some others we have in mind are the families of Myron Avery, William O. Douglas, Ruth Blackburn, O.W. Lacy, Roly Muesser, and Ed Garvey (if you know family contact people for any of those, please notify me).

I am writing to this List to ask for your input to this database. Please take some time for this vital task, and let me know all the names you can think of that need to be included. We need names of important (for any reason) past hikers, current hikers, hostels (or any other place that might have old registers), parks or associations personnel, trail angels, or any other trail-related people. Never mind if you think we already have the name, give it to us anyway. You never know what perfectly obvious name we may have overlooked.

The Museum is on the verge of getting some climate-controlled storage space in Harpers Ferry and, at an April planning retreat, a hired consultant gave the Museum Society a preliminary report on practical issues to be considered in setting up the Museum. So progress is being made.

Now we need your help, and hope you will respond. Email me off-list.
Thank you!

~~ Linda Patton/aka/eArThworm [email protected]
on behalf of the A.T. Museum's "Priority Collections" Committee

Sly
08-16-2006, 19:07
Sounds like the AT Museum is really coming along. Harpers Ferry is the perfect place. It will be intersting in how they set up the exhibits.

Here's my tip, Weathercarrot's snow map probably deserves to be in there! And perhaps some of the better DVD's played in a small studio. Takoma Tedd's music playing in the background!

Lone Wolf
08-16-2006, 20:43
Individual hikers shouldn't be singled out. Too elistist.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-16-2006, 21:15
Granny Gatewood should be there.

Lone Wolf
08-16-2006, 21:21
Granny Gatewood should be there.
Why should she? Earl said she was a fraud.

ed bell
08-16-2006, 22:11
Individual hikers shouldn't be singled out. Too elistist.Wise words considering the fact that many have put their energy into pioneering, preserving and maintaining the AT. Unique hikers do have a place in the history of the AT, but they should not be the focal point of this effort. I would love to see some authentic trail clearing tools and old photographs of trail blazing. The project sounds like a winner.:sun

saimyoji
08-16-2006, 22:24
I think contacting these people or their families to collect memorabilia in the spirit of sharing history is a good one:

Caption found next to a well used Ion stove:

"This type of alcohol stove was popular among AT thruhikers for a period until the micro-nuclear-reactors were mainstreamed. This particular model was designed by "Sgt. Rock" and was donated by surviving family members."

No harm here.

Now, if there is a section on "Famous Hikers" or I think you may have a point about elitism. We all know that some hikers gain more noteriety for various reasons. Is it really so bad to record their existence?

mdionne
08-16-2006, 22:28
I am writing to this List to ask for your input to this database. Please take some time for this vital task, and let me know all the names you can think of that need to be included. We need names of important (for any reason) past hikers, current hikers, hostels (or any other place that might have old registers), parks or associations personnel, trail angels, or any other trail-related people.

~~ Linda Patton/aka/eArThworm [email protected]
on behalf of the A.T. Museum's "Priority Collections" Committee

Person: me

Reason: just because :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-16-2006, 22:30
Why should she? Earl said she was a fraud.Well, Earl was entitled to his opinion. As the first woman to thru hike the AT(edited to add) solo, I feel she has earned a place in the history of the AT along side Earl.

BTW, if nobody has told you they love you today, I love your ornery self.

Tin Man
08-16-2006, 23:07
I hope they include famous books of the AT... my votes include

Model-T's = YES
A Walk in the Woods = NO

I heard they asked for Bryson's pack and he said, "what pack? I slacked".

saimyoji
08-16-2006, 23:09
Didn't Bryson wear jeans and a cotton sweater when he hiked Mt. Washington? How about boobs of the AT?

DawnTreader
08-16-2006, 23:17
gramma gatewood was the first woman to thru hike solo..
Peace Pilgram did it three years earlier with a companion..http://www.peacepilgrim.com/ap_trail.htm

ed bell
08-16-2006, 23:59
We all know that some hikers gain more noteriety for various reasons. Is it really so bad to record their existence?Not at all, any characters that become part of the AT story are worthy of a little attention. How about a list of all past thru hikers?;)

rickb
08-17-2006, 07:04
While its kind of stating the obvious for those who have been around the AT for a while, but Warren Doyle would have to be very high up on the list.

History on the Trail didn't stop in 1970.

No one has walked more miles of Trail than Warren (even if some who post a lot around here hate that some of those miles were not walked in the proper way), and no one has hiked the complete trail more times, either.

And he posts here on White blaze from time to time!

I would ask him to donate the WD Memorial Bathtub.

warren doyle
08-17-2006, 10:57
Thanks Rick.
But I'm not dead yet.
There still is 'history' to be made.

I hope the ATC and the Museum come to their senses and move everything to Exit 54 of I-81 at the Groseclose trail crossing.

Plenty of space, great public access, lower living expenses and helping the local economy.

It would be an insightful decision that would have many long-range benefits.

Unfortunately, the original memorial bathtub whereabouts is unknown after it was removed by do-gooders. However, I do have another bathtub in storage awaiting it's future use as a 'live' piece of history.

wilconow
08-17-2006, 15:12

Why did he think she was a fraud?

eArThworm
08-17-2006, 23:49
First of all, let me thank everyone who's come up with some good ideas. Secondly, let me assure everyone that the trail WORKERS will definitely be represented heavily in the museum...along with everyone else important to any aspect of Trail history. And yes, it's planned to have a library as part of the museum. That's where my book collection will be going. Let's see, did I leave anything out? .... Oh yes, Lone Wolf, can we have your beard for posterity? ;-))

Nean
08-18-2006, 00:11

Did he think she was a yellowblazer?:-? If so then 8o% ( I know Jack, thats low) of thru hikers are a fraud. I really don't care the color of the blaze either, but most skip somewhere, somehow. Nevermind the few who suck it up and endure.
So, a guy who does the A.T., in sections, once; well, besides the roadwalking, in two states :rolleyes: already has his gear sent in. Sounds like you're all set! Actually, if you could get one of Warrens vans, even a couple of tires, you could double the price of addmission.:D

Really, I'm all for the museum: as long as there is a lager than life statue of LW out front!:)

Smile
08-18-2006, 00:13
How about a place there for folks to induct themselves?

If you thru hiked, and want to put together an account, scrapbook, whatever - how about small area of shelves for all to contribute as they see fit ;-)

Sly
08-18-2006, 06:04
Still wondering why Warren thinks the Groseclose exit off I-81 would be a better location than Harpers Ferry? It's where I first met his dad eating at the restaurant but that hardly gives it historical significance.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-18-2006, 06:13
gramma gatewood was the first woman to thru hike solo..
Peace Pilgram did it three years earlier with a companion..http://www.peacepilgrim.com/ap_trail.htmThanks for the history lesson. Peace Pilgram has earned a place in the history as well.

While I wouldn't want to see a museum that only focused on individuals, the people are part of what makes the AT the special place it is. Some are the hikers and some are people like Ms. Janet and her mother - people that have been part of the community for many years and have left their footprints.

Granny Gatewood holds a special place in my heart because her story was my inspiration for wanting to thru-hike. This dream has since become a section hike because of the injuries to my leg / hip and the declining health of my mother.

The 'institutions' are also a part - the trail towns, the hostels, the outfitters.

While I don't know exactly how a museum will do this, I hope you are able to capsure the feeling of family between the members of the hiking community in a way that will share it with those who haven't and likely won't experience it firsthand.

rickb
08-18-2006, 06:51
If the museum has a wing featuring Trai Angels, you might want to track down Bonnie Shipe, AKA the Ice Cream Lady.

Her house was in the middle of the Cumberland Valley Road Walk, and to my way of thinking she and her husband Steve really were something special.

I imagine she has trail registers which would be an amazing chronical of the Trail for quite a few years. Not to mention a wealth of photos and such.

Heater
08-18-2006, 07:19
...a lager than life statue of LW out front!:)

"lager than life"? Was that a freudian slip? :D

SGT Rock
08-18-2006, 07:43
I was wondering the same thing about the museum location. I would expect that a place like HF which already gets walking traffic tourists would be a good place to introduce people to the trail. Seems like with the traffic it gets and the type of traffice that consists of would be more likely to stop in and learn than having a museum at what is basically another interstate fuel and food stop for most Americans which would have no interest in stopping to see it. Put it there and it seems that most traffic would only be hikers that already know about it.

max patch
08-18-2006, 07:44
Did he think she was a yellowblazer?:-? If so then 8o% ( I know Jack, thats low) of thru hikers are a fraud.

Zero percent of thruhikers yellowblaze.

Really, I'm all for the museum: as long as there is a lager than life statue of LW out front!:)

Just a matter of time before you know who starts up a collection for a minnesota smith statue.

Tha Wookie
08-18-2006, 08:36
What about Benton Mackaye?

Warren Doyle?

Jeff Marion?

Pack-man?

ahem.... Lone Wolf?

mdionne
08-18-2006, 10:05
Bill Erwin???

One Leg???

Ricochet???

Who was the person who hiked the trail over 48 years?

Many hostel owners, especially Bob Peoples.

Strictly an AT museum? what about...

Nean, three time triple crowner

Wasn't Yogi the first female to triple crown?

Squeaky, for the fastest triple crown.

I'd think Old Fahrt has photography of some "inductees" that would be of value to the museum as well.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-18-2006, 10:05
Some may claim to be superior,
To have toiled more than he.
They've logged more miles or camped more nights,
But only Lone Wolf has seen more.

He dont speak from his posterior,
Read his posts and you will see.
Been there done that, more than most will ever know,
And now he's atop Mt. Rushmore!

Amigi'sLastStand
08-18-2006, 10:06
Ok, so I have no Photoshop skills.:D

Kerosene
08-18-2006, 13:25
Who was the person who hiked the trail over 48 years?Wow, that's only about a tenth of a mile a day! :D

If you mean that this person only hiked a little each year, then I just need to stretch my now-annual section hikes to 2020 and I can be listed as an AT notable. :o

Sly
08-18-2006, 14:11
Wasn't Yogi the first female to triple crown?
No. listed with ALDHA West would be...

Cindy Sinclair
Norfolk, CT
AT 1975, PCT 1977, CDT 1985

It looks like there's 11 in front of Yogi. Of course they may have been others that never "signed-up"

http://www.aldhawest.org/Triple/default.asp

Jack Tarlin
08-18-2006, 14:26
I'm also at a loss as to why Groseclose is such a great location for the Museum.

It's near an Interstate, but then so are several hundred other locations on or near the Trail.

Personally, I think Harpers Ferry is a fine site:

*It's directly on the Trail.
*It's always been considered the unofficial half-way mark of the Trail.
*It's where the ATC is headquartered.
*Most of all, locating the Museum here would guarantee that all thru hikers
visit the museum; it's a location that's easy to return to; and locating the
museum here might inspire more hikers to join the ATC, which is something
every long-distance hiker should do.

And lastly, remember that a museum devoted to the Appalachian Trail is always going to have a rather limited audience. Other than hikers, I'm not sure who's going to go out of their way to find a small musuem located in a field off an obscure Interstate Exit in Virginia. However, siting the museum in an area that is already an established tourist destination, as well as being the home of the Trail's maintenance and protection organization, would seem to be a better idea. It'd certainly attract more visitors.

In short, I see no reason to NOT have Harpers as the permanent museum site.

StarLyte
08-18-2006, 14:34
Jack I think you need to autograph and donate the Ann Coulter t-shirt to the AT Museum.
click here (http://gallery.backcountry.net/Trail-Days-2006/HPIM3853)

Jack Tarlin
08-18-2006, 14:37
No, what I need to do is to do something about this large impostor who's been hounding me for years.

I'm actually much thinner.

I'm shocked, shocked to think that StarLyte would think I'd actualy wear something like this.

StarLyte
08-18-2006, 14:49
Jack--I had this photo of you from the PA Ruck 2003. NOTE the T-shirt is new--sleeves attached and all! Donate this T-shirt.
click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12464)

eArThworm
08-18-2006, 17:38
Jack--I had this photo of you from the PA Ruck 2003. NOTE the T-shirt is new--sleeves attached and all! Donate this T-shirt.
click here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=12464)
Or maybe a sleeveless black one with "Hiker Trash," or "Bill Bryson...." or some such, on it? :-)

StarLyte
08-18-2006, 18:04
Or maybe a sleeveless black one with "Hiker Trash," or "Bill Bryson...." or some such, on it? :-)

Hey eArThworm - the picture in the link IS the shirt I'm talking about. I actually have a picture of him wearing it while it was newer :D At the PA Ruck in 2003.

You didn't think I was serious about the Ann Coulter t-shirt did ya?

eArThworm
08-18-2006, 20:57
[QUOTE=StarLyte]Hey eArThworm - the picture in the link IS the shirt I'm talking about. I actually have a picture of him wearing it while it was newer :D At the PA Ruck in 2003. .../QUOTE]

Ah...so the sleeves have been removed since then? Good, then that's the one we want. :-)

Sly
08-18-2006, 21:42
Yeah, add a couple T-shirts, shorts, socks, boots to the AT thru-hiker smell-a-vision booth!

Lone Wolf
08-19-2006, 00:15
There needs to be a dark side of the museum too. All the rapes, murders, assaults, hostels closed because of Ahole hikers, etc., etc.

Tha Wookie
08-19-2006, 01:04
I think they should put the AT Museum on the north side of the Kennebec River.

rickb
08-19-2006, 06:37
Laura Waterman, co auther with the Late Guy Waterman on a couple Wildenreness Ethics Books, and Guy wrot the definitive book on the history of hiking in the Norht East might have some interesting stuff for the Museum.

Guy Waterman wasn't a thu hiker (so what) but he was very close to the AT, especialy in the WHites. Guy took his own life on th Franconia Ridge a few years back, and his wife wrote about that too.

Laura Waterman could probably be reached thorugh her publisher.

StarLyte
08-19-2006, 07:48
Sounds like the AT Museum is really coming along. Harpers Ferry is the perfect place. It will be intersting in how they set up the exhibits.

Here's my tip, Weathercarrot's snow map probably deserves to be in there! And perhaps some of the better DVD's played in a small studio. Takoma Tedd's music playing in the background!

Sly you're so thoughtful.

There are so many ideas already posted and the best part is that we can all contribute in many different ways.

I'm so pleased that Larry Luxenberg has chosen eArThworm as the Priority Collections coordinator for this project. She needs our help.

Each and every one of us need to take this very seriously and become part of this effort in some way or another.

Every person that has ever stepped foot on the Appalachian Trail, or has any connection with the Trail, in some way, is part of it's history.

I like that thought.

One Leg
08-19-2006, 22:09
Can dogs be a part of this museum?

Dogs better be a part of the museum, otherwise, Bill Irwin wouldn't make it in.. Orient was as much of his history as his blindness was/is.

eArThworm
01-21-2007, 14:38
Work is continuing on the list of "Priority Collections" and I'd like to re-state what I and others have said:

Frolicking Dinosaurs, "The 'institutions' are also a part - the trail towns, the hostels, the outfitters."

Starlyte, "Every person that has ever stepped foot on the Appalachian Trail, or has any connection with the Trail, in some way, is part of it's history."

Smile, "How about a place there for folks to induct themselves? If you thru hiked, and want to put together an account, scrapbook, whatever - how about small area of shelves for all to contribute as they see fit."

Although our top priority is to identify folks who are 'up in years' or others whose 'artifacts' are in danger of being lost forever if we don't get to work and ask for them, every suggestion is useful in the long run. And maintainers, trail angels, hostels, outfitters, trail clubs, people from ATC, NPS, USFS, (etc.), and the hikers themselves--all are candidates for "the list."

If any individual has an "account, scrapbook, whatever" to contribute, please contact me directly. We'd be happy to accept your contibution.

I'm still looking for suggestions to be added to the list. So keep 'em coming. If you'd like to see the draft of the list as it stands now, and can open an EXCEL file, contact me and I'll email it to you.

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2007, 19:45
Work is continuing on the list of "Priority Collections" and I'd like to re-state what I and others have said:

I'm still looking for suggestions to be added to the list. So keep 'em coming. If you'd like to see the draft of the list as it stands now, and can open an EXCEL file, contact me and I'll email it to you.

{From your first post in this thread} We are in the process of building a database of people who should be contacted. Of course Earl Shaffer's family is already on board. We have some items from Sam Waddle and we hope to have more when his family is ready to part with them. And there are others, such as Flyin' Brian Robinson, who have donated items. Some others we have in mind are the families of Myron Avery, William O. Douglas, Ruth Blackburn, O.W. Lacy, Roly Muesser, and Ed Garvey (if you know family contact people for any of those, please notify me).

I am writing to this List to ask for your input to this database. Please take some time for this vital task, and let me know all the names you can think of that need to be included. We need names of important (for any reason) past hikers, current hikers, hostels (or any other place that might have old registers), parks or associations personnel, trail angels, or any other trail-related people. Never mind if you think we already have the name, give it to us anyway. You never know what perfectly obvious name we may have overlooked.

A few people who might be added to this list if you haven't already:

Clarence Stein, Chairman of the Committee on Community Planning for the American Institute of Architects, who MacKaye contacted early in 1921 and with whom he corresponded regarding his plan. MacKaye's article, "An Appalachian Trail, A Project in Regional Planning," was first published in the Journal of Amercan Architects in October 1921. Stein wrote a wonderful introduction to the article that would start it all in motion.

Albert Turner, early NETC Chaiman
Allen Chamberlain, NETC
Raymond Torrey, founder NYNJTC
Major William Welch first chairman of ATC
Judge Arthur Perkins, who replaced Welch and brought Myron Avery with him
H. Anderson, P Ricker, and Joseph Cox Sr. & Jr. PATC
Everett Stone, Roy Ozmer, Charlie Elliot GATC

weary
01-21-2007, 23:35
Earl thought she was mostly a common beggar, because, he said, she would knock on doors and ask for food and a bed.

Jester2000
01-22-2007, 00:16

This is actually a reference to something Earl said at a PA Ruck a couple of years ago. Earl was asked, in a roomful of people, which female hiker he most respected. Someone in the group suggested Grandma Gatewood, to which Earl replied, "Grandma Gatewood? Grandma Gatewood was a FRAUD!"

The room went silent.

He then explained that he would frequently pass her during the day, only to find her ahead of him later on.

I can't attest to the accuracy of his statement, but I can say that he said it, as I was there.

bascomgrillmaster
01-22-2007, 00:53
Hello All,Bascom here,
I,ve been collecting the AT guide books for about four years now.I,am up to about 65 books.Plan on getting 500 for the museum in Harpers Ferry.If you know of some one who is getting rid of them,send them my way. Thanks.

pipesmoke
01-22-2007, 07:33
I have tons of memorabilia but 95% is in my head and I don't intend to give it away. I would suggest a massive flat screen showing a collage of pics, from all the hikers and years, constantly running. New could be added each year.

Bryan Mc
01-22-2007, 14:44
There needs to be a dark side of the museum too. All the rapes, murders, assaults, hostels closed because of Ahole hikers, etc., etc.
:confused:

Hey good idea L. Wolf. That way we can drive as many people away from the lure of the trail as possible. Im gonna go with that one...
I also move that we put L. Wolf in the museum for his devotion to making sure there is a negative comment in every thread.

saimyoji
01-22-2007, 22:15
:confused:

Hey good idea L. Wolf. That way we can drive as many people away from the lure of the trail as possible. Im gonna go with that one...
I also move that we put L. Wolf in the museum for his devotion to making sure there is a negative comment in every thread.

Rather than negative, I read most of wolf's posts as realism. He's not being negative, just offering a more wholistic (realistic) approach to the topic in an offhand way.

I agree there should be some mention of the tragedies that have occured along the trail as part of its history. The last thing we should do as responsible historical hikers is hide the misfortunes of the trail. That would do a disservice to future hikers, and usurp (?) the memory of those who fell to misfortune. The fact that we can count such incidents on our fingers speaks volumes about the safety of the trail, without hiding any truths. :cool:

Bryan Mc
01-22-2007, 23:52
we all know people udnerstand the same things iin different perspectives. a tripute to the fallen of course is a great idea, i think the wording could have been a little better as well as the wording of many other posts by this hiker. my point is every post i read that leads up to the ubiquitous negative vibe from the same person makes me straight up stop reading that thread. its come to a point where i flat out expect it to come with every thread in all forums. but ill yield judgment in respect to opinions.

Programbo
01-27-2007, 20:52
In this day of the internet and world wide instant info most people can`t imagine what it was like in the earlier days..People can say what they think of him but probably one of the greatest influences on the modern Appalachian Trial was Ed Garvey..His book introduced a generation to the trail in general and thru hiking in particular..On a more personal/regional level I would nominate Thurston Griggs

Tipi Walter
01-27-2007, 21:24
One of my personal favorites is Dorothy Laker, I think she thruhiked 3 times about 45 years ago. She would carry cabbage or a head a lettuce for "crunchiness".

I would leave out the Iron Man types, those speed demons obsessed with miles.

weary
01-27-2007, 21:56
Rather than negative, I read most of wolf's posts as realism. He's not being negative, just offering a more wholistic (realistic) approach to the topic in an offhand way. ....:
Close, but no prize. Lone Wolf likes to provoke people into thinking. He makes no attempt at balance, or true realism. But his comments from time to time, certainly point us towards the truth about the trail and those who walk it.

StarLyte
11-02-2008, 07:28
I wanted to resurrect this thread by posting the following tidbit:

Pine Grove Furnace State Park PA could be the home of the Appalachian Trail Museum.

Click here (http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2008/10/31/news/local/doc490bd18d0489c720379245.txt) for news article

One can also access more information on Larry Luxenberg's blog:
click here (http://www.atmuseum.org/)

Rocks 'n Roots
11-02-2008, 12:48
Have to agree that Harper's Ferry is the better location for all the reasons Jack gave. Plus, for whatever starving 'trickle' the AT gets from Washington, the Harper's location is physically and symbolically closer to Washington. Doesn't hurt to be close to your funding source. Or Clinton and Gore heaving Trail boulders.

Harper's already has the historic and antique National Park atmosphere going. That's good momentum to swing an AT museum in to.

Lone Wolf is right (style besides) that a small section for Trail noteriety should be set to the side in a display. It would only add to a fuller dimension.

If I missed any positive aspects to Warren's suggestion I apologize.

Jack Tarlin
11-02-2008, 14:11
You didn't miss anything. He wanted the Museum located in Groseclose because he owned property there that he wanted the Museum people to buy. Other than that, there was never any good or compelling reason for the museum to be cited there.

But his comment about how putting the museum there would "help the local economy" was pretty amusing.

I can think of one person it would've helped. :D

Anyway, water under the bridge. The Virginia property in question was sold to someone else (and is now a hiker hostel!) and it's looking very much like the museum will be in Pine Grove Furnace Park, a place which, believe it or not, gets more visitors annually than Harpers Ferry.

So hopefully this will all work out just fine.

MOWGLI
11-02-2008, 14:34
Other than that, there was never any good or compelling reason for the museum to be cited there (Groseclose).

I respectfully disagree. Easy access off I-81. Close to the trail. A short drive from Grayson Highlands and Damascus and Abingdon. Close to the Settlers Museum of SW Virginia.

I think the committee made a fine choice in Pennsylvania though. I have all the respect for Larry, Model T and the other good folks who selflessly give of their time for this labor of love. I look forward to visiting the museum someday.

Jack Tarlin
11-02-2008, 14:40
Whatever, Mowgli.

But there are thousands of nice places just off I-81 in Virginia that are also close to the Trail.

And the Settler's Museum draws a few thousand folks a year. Pine Grove probably draws several HUNDRED thousand.

But if you still want to think Groseclose was the perfect place for the Museum, well fine. Other folks know better. :rolleyes:

MOWGLI
11-02-2008, 14:49
Whatever, Mowgli.

But there are thousands of nice places just off I-81 in Virginia that are also close to the Trail.

And the Settler's Museum draws a few thousand folks a year. Pine Grove probably draws several HUNDRED thousand.

But if you still want to think Groseclose was the perfect place for the Museum, well fine. Other folks know better. :rolleyes:

You're exaggerating when you say that there are "Thousands of nice places just off I-81 in Virginia" for an AT museum. The trail crosses under I-81 at Groseclose and again in Troutville. There are hardly dozens of suitable places close to the trail, much less "thousands".

Let me repeat. I think the committee made a fine choice in Pennsylvania.

trailangelmary
11-02-2008, 14:53
Not much to accomplish here by arguing the placement of the At museum in VA since, as I understand from attending the AT Museum Meeting at the Gathering, the museum will be in Pine Grove Furnace.

rcli4
11-02-2008, 14:59
I think you should have to be dead 5 years before you could be mentioned in the museum. Keeps emotion out and history in.

Clyde

Jack Tarlin
11-02-2008, 15:09
Wait 5 years?

Geez, that means that if the Museum had opened when we originally thought it would, then Earl Shaffer wouldn't have merited a mention. :eek:

Sorry, I think the 5 year rule isn't necessary.

warren doyle
11-02-2008, 17:13
To clear up yet another negative, distorted interpretation....

In the early years of the AT Museum future site search, I offered Larry Luxenburg the possible use of a large wormy chestnut barn on property I owned near the trail in Groseclose for $1 a year.

I also suggested on several occasions to the ATC, that the Exit #54 interchange on I-81 had several buildings for sale which would make for a great, accessible site for the ATC to move to their entire headquarters operation to.

This site has great potential and several advantages over the current ATC site in Harpers Ferry.

I applaud and respect Larry and the AT museum committee's efforts to secure a site at Pine Grove Furnace State Park. I hope the State of PA is creative/flexible enough and it works out for them.

Happy trails!

Rocks 'n Roots
11-02-2008, 19:26
There could be something said for spreading Trail offices out instead of locating them in one town. Also, the Trail is named after the Appalachians and the heart of the Appalachians south of HF is under represented. Never the less, being unfamiliar with Pine Grove Furnance besides walking through it, my quick look would be Harper's over PGF.

Lone Wolf
11-02-2008, 19:30
Damascus. It's a no -brainer. the current post office is up for sale. plenty of space for a museum. but it sounds like practicality ain't gonna win out :rolleyes:

Tin Man
11-02-2008, 19:46

Pine Grove Furnace State Park PA could be the home of the Appalachian Trail Museum.

Click here (http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2008/10/31/news/local/doc490bd18d0489c720379245.txt) for news article

Interesting. Here is a place on the atmuseum blog for those who have stories they want to share...

http://www.atmuseum.org/Trail_Stories.htm

SassyWindsor
11-02-2008, 19:53
Damascus would be the ideal location, the town has shown its hospitality to the AT community for many years and by locating it here would be an acknowledgment of it. I would say more people are introduced to hiking and the AT during "Trail Days" than most anywhere else I can think of.
I know I was. My vote would be Damascus 1st, Springer area 2nd, Katahdin area 3rd. Anywhere else doesn't make sense. Just in case Trail-Days goes away, then maybe the museum should follow, IF that should happen.

Yahtzee
11-02-2008, 20:07

That's great news, Starlyte. Thanks for posting. Pine Grove is the perfect place for the museum. It's a no-brainer, actually. Many visitors already. ATC office nearby. Halfway point. Close to major highway.

Good decision on the part of the powers that be.

Lone Wolf
11-02-2008, 21:02
Damascus would be the ideal location, the town has shown its hospitality to the AT community for many years and by locating it here would be an acknowledgment of it. I would say more people are introduced to hiking and the AT during "Trail Days" than most anywhere else I can think of.
I know I was. My vote would be Damascus 1st, Springer area 2nd, Katahdin area 3rd. Anywhere else doesn't make sense. Just in case Trail-Days goes away, then maybe the museum should follow, IF that should happen.

the ATC likes high dollar areas just like the AMC etc. for their club houses. another no-brainer. $$$

Lone Wolf
11-02-2008, 21:04
the ATC likes high dollar areas just like the AMC etc. for their club houses. another no-brainer. $$$

a certain member here on WB rags on the AMC having heasdquarters in Boston yet totally kisses ATC butt being in high rent Harpers Ferry.

Tin Man
11-02-2008, 21:20
at least harper's ferry is on the trail

Lone Wolf
11-02-2008, 21:24
at least damascus is on the trail and it's one hell of a lot more accomadating to hikers than HF is

rickb
11-02-2008, 21:25
at least harper's ferry is on the trail

Now it is.

Tin Man
11-02-2008, 21:26
whatever, i was only comparing ATC vs. AMC hq locations

does anyone know if ATC hq is owned or rented?

Lugnut
11-03-2008, 00:09
Wait 5 years?
Sorry, I think the 5 year rule isn't necessary.

You're just upset because that would put you at 72 when you were inducted! :D

weary
11-03-2008, 00:11
whatever, i was only comparing ATC vs. AMC hq locations

does anyone know if ATC hq is owned or rented?
I believe it's owned. And like AMC's Joy Street headquarters, a trail museum in Harpers Ferry would preserve important trail history and traditions.

Weary

Panzer1
11-03-2008, 02:28
Where exactly in Pin Grove will the Museum be located. Has a building been picked?

Panzer

Yahtzee
11-03-2008, 02:52
Where exactly in Pin Grove will the Museum be located. Has a building been picked?

Panzer

The article mentioned a 200 yr old grist mill in the park. I believe this is it http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.millpictures.com/Mills/images/thumbs/sm_Pa-21-01-01-Pine%2520Grove%2520Furnace%2520Mill-rtk-9-25-07.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.millpictures.com/Mills/index_pictures.cfm%3Fstate%3DPennsylvania&h=67&w=100&sz=3&hl=en&start=4&usg=__s_VSFO5Av58R1pZY1r6Ihgg3k3E=&tbnid=bM1IeHx7N6BubM:&tbnh=55&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2522pine%2Bgrove%2Bfurnace%2522%2Bba rn%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den

Sorry for the long link.

Yahtzee
11-03-2008, 02:54
Well my linking capabilities stink, but if you go to the PA section, Cumberland Co. section, the photos are there. Nice old building.

Jack Tarlin
11-03-2008, 15:31
Wolf:

Comparing the ATC's modest headquarters to the AMC's is a long stretch.

The building in Boston is enormous, it is worth millions, and as it's over a century old, is very expensive to maintain.

None of this is true of the ATC's headquarters, which are extremely humble in comparison.

Also, please note that the Trail passes a few minutes walk from the ATC office in Harpers Ferry. You can walk out their door and be on the Trail in around three minutes, so the ATC offices being cited in Harpers Ferry, the 1000-mile mark on the Trail and the unofficial half-way point of the Trail, well this makes perfect sense.

But last I checked, Beacon Hill in Boston was somewhat removed from the AMC's principal operations, which, last I checked, were mainly in the woods and mountains of New Hampshire and Maine. But they refuse to re-locate to somewhere more appropriate (like Gorham, Pinkham Notch, or Crawford Notch) for two main reasons: The Boston chapter is too influential and likes to hang out and socialize on Joy St. And more important, the club honchos, who tend to live in tony suburbs like Cambridge, Brookline, Belmont, etc. don't want to live out in the sticks. I mean God forbid that they actually live with woods and mountains in their back yards!

Rain Man
11-04-2008, 11:14
I think you should have to be dead 5 years before you could be mentioned in the museum. Keeps emotion out and history in.

Absolutely. Should be in the US Constitution, IMHO. Way too many things named due to partisanship and/or the heat of the moment. Distance and time is a much truer test. And if Earl Shaffer has to wait a little while, he's just setting another high standard. Not to mention, keeps the riff-raff out of his museum. :)

Rain:sunMan

Rain Man
11-04-2008, 11:16
I know I was. ...

Agreed. Not to mention, it'd be in the South, where most aspiring thru-hikers are on the trail.

Rain:sunMan

Lone Wolf
11-04-2008, 11:37
And if Earl Shaffer has to wait a little while, he's just setting another high standard. Not to mention, keeps the riff-raff out of his museum.

it ain't "his" museum

senache
11-04-2008, 15:39
How about Howard E. Bassett, a through hiker at age 63, who I met in 1968 while on the trail in new Hampshire? There's a marker on the trail were his ashes were scattered.

rafe
11-04-2008, 20:07
Agreed. Not to mention, it'd be in the South, where most aspiring thru-hikers are on the trail.

Went right over my head.... :-? I can sort of guess what you mean, given that "aspiring" is a euphemism for "wannabe."

rafe
11-04-2008, 20:08
How about Howard E. Bassett, a through hiker at age 63, who I met in 1968 while on the trail in new Hampshire? There's a marker on the trail were his ashes were scattered.

http://www.terrapinphoto.com/bassett_grave.jpg

I forget what state that was in... but somewhere down south, for sure.

rcli4
11-04-2008, 20:18
Wolf:

Comparing the ATC's modest headquarters to the AMC's is a long stretch.

The building in Boston is enormous, it is worth millions, and as it's over a century old, is very expensive to maintain.

None of this is true of the ATC's headquarters, which are extremely humble in comparison.

Also, please note that the Trail passes a few minutes walk from the ATC office in Harpers Ferry. You can walk out their door and be on the Trail in around three minutes, so the ATC offices being cited in Harpers Ferry, the 1000-mile mark on the Trail and the unofficial half-way point of the Trail, well this makes perfect sense.

But last I checked, Beacon Hill in Boston was somewhat removed from the AMC's principal operations, which, last I checked, were mainly in the woods and mountains of New Hampshire and Maine. But they refuse to re-locate to somewhere more appropriate (like Gorham, Pinkham Notch, or Crawford Notch) for two main reasons: The Boston chapter is too influential and likes to hang out and socialize on Joy St. And more important, the club honchos, who tend to live in tony suburbs like Cambridge, Brookline, Belmont, etc. don't want to live out in the sticks. I mean God forbid that they actually live with woods and mountains in their back yards!

Most large donors are large donors to a particular orgs because they have a relationship with someone high up in that org. Having the HQ in Boston makes perfect sense to me. Their is large money in Boston. Their job is to collect money. That is the core of their mission. What they do with that money is secondary. There is no land protection or anything else without the money.

Clyde

mweinstone
11-05-2008, 08:07
i think we all know who earl voted for last night.may our country thrive and prosper and this meuseum too

Lone Wolf
11-05-2008, 08:27
i think we all know who earl voted for last night.

no, i don't. fill me in

max patch
11-05-2008, 09:13
i think we all know who earl voted for last night.may our country thrive and prosper and this meuseum too

Did ACORN register him too?

mudhead
11-05-2008, 09:17
I heard he prefered Beechnut.

Neener. Neener.

Jack Tarlin
11-05-2008, 19:03
Geez, I think it's pretty funny that people that live in Jacksonville Florida know all about the AMC......

Um, no, it doesn't make "perfect sense" for the club to be based in downtown Boston.

The club could do more, and have a helluva lot more credibility with locals and local town government and local organizations is they weren't seen as a bunch of meddling blueblood Boston yuppies. Kinda harder to get angrier with someone when he lives down the street, belongs to your church, coahes your kid's baseball team, whatever. Fact is, in their main base of operations (i.e. North central New Hampshire) the AMC is CONSTANTLY perceived as a bunch of sharpnosed Boston elitists who are always telling the little people in the hill towns how to best run their own backyards.

Moving to Pinkham Notch or Gorham and encouraging the leaders of the AMC to actuallly join and embrace the communities that comprise their scope of operations would actually do a world of good.

But what do I know, I only live in New Hampshire.

Needless to say, people who write from Florida know more about this, just as people who live in suburban Boston know best about what's good for New Hampshire's high country. :rolleyes:

Um, sorry. No, they don't.

Lone Wolf
11-05-2008, 19:25
Geez, I think it's pretty funny that people that live in Jacksonville Florida know all about the AMC......

Um, no, it doesn't make "perfect sense" for the club to be based in downtown Boston.

The club could do more, and have a helluva lot more credibility with locals and local town government and local organizations is they weren't seen as a bunch of meddling blueblood Boston yuppies. Kinda harder to get angrier with someone when he lives down the street, belongs to your church, coahes your kid's baseball team, whatever. Fact is, in their main base of operations (i.e. North central New Hampshire) the AMC is CONSTANTLY perceived as a bunch of sharpnosed Boston elitists who are always telling the little people in the hill towns how to best run their own backyards.

Moving to Pinkham Notch or Gorham and encouraging the leaders of the AMC to actuallly join and embrace the communities that comprise their scope of operations would actually do a world of good.

Needless to say, people who write from Florida know more about this, just as people who live in suburban Boston know best about what's good for New Hampshire's high country. :rolleyes:

you're wrong. the AMC belongs in boston as it has for years

Mags
11-05-2008, 19:46
I heard he prefered Beechnut.

Neener. Neener.

Nice way to defuse the political discussion. :)

Lets keep it that way..grazie!

smokymtnsteve
11-05-2008, 19:53

yes jack you live sometime in NH..but do you live in gorham or Pinkham notch...alas I have family in gorham and berlin

MOWGLI
11-05-2008, 20:42
Anytime you start a sentence with the word "Um" of "Uh", it's meant to insult and condescend. Perhaps we can all make an effort to refrain from condescension.

rcli4
11-05-2008, 21:38
Jack I only know how fund raising works. I'll let you prove that you know more than me. How much have you given the AMC. How much has the folks from boston gave. You made my point for me. The folks that control the money from their corps. that play baseball and go to church with and all the other thing are more likely to give their money. As old as you are and you haven't figured out FOLLOW THE MONEY. I always took you to be smarter than that. I live in Jacksonville Fl. and believe it or not we raise money and read, hike and all that stuff down here. Just because the 300 people that live and care about the trail in Hanover are impressed with them selves don't mean the million in Boston are. I have no doubt you know more what the trail needs but you aint got shat without the money.

Clyde