PDA

View Full Version : (Make fun of) My 5.3 lb base weight for upcoming hike

dloome
08-16-2006, 23:26
This is going to be the lightest pack I've ever done a substantial hike with, can't wait to NOT feel this on my back. :eek: This will be used on a yo-yo hike of the Superior Trail in northern MN in September (410 miles total, roughly 12 days on the trail) I know this set-up to be comfortable in temps down to the mid 30's, lower that what I'm likely to encounter. Bugs will not be an issue, and I am eating cold food. When I say "modified" this just means I've trimmed stuff off it (webbing, straps, zipper pulls, excess cord, etc.)

BIG 4
Pack- GoLite Jam (modified), with Hefty bag liner- 1 lb. 1 oz
Shelter- GoLite Lair 1 tarp, spectra guylines, 6 homemade aluminum stakes, 0.8mm poly painters dropcloth cut to size- 15 oz.
Bag- Homemade Primaloft quilt in stuff sack, homemade silk liner- 14 oz.
Pad- Gossamer Nightlite torso- 3.7 oz

CLOTHING (worn, not in pack)
GoLite mesh running cap- 1.7 oz
Asic Marathon running shorts (modified)- 2.4 oz
Sugoi lightweight top- 3.5 oz
DeFeet Air-E-Ator socks- 1 oz

(carried in pack)
FroggToggs pro action jacket- 8 oz
GoLite Whim shell pants- 4 oz
DeFeet Air-E-Ator socks (2 pair)- 2 oz
Midweight thermal top- 8 oz
Stylin' fleece skull cap custom-made by Mom Bleach 1.3 oz

HYDRATION
1 liter soda bottles (2) 3 oz
2 liter Platypus bladder 1 oz
AquaMira (not full bottles) 1.5 oz.

HYGIENE/ 1ST AID/ OTHER
Trimmed toothbrush, dehydrated toothpaste dots- 1 oz
Duct tape, Vitamin I, 18 squares TP- 0.5 oz
Victorinox mini Classic knife (modified) 1 oz
Homemade stuff sacks for food, clothing, other 3 oz total
Lexan spoon, trimmed 0.2 oz
Navigation materials- 1.9 oz

Base weight- (items in pack, does not include clothing worn) 85 oz/
5.31 lbs if I added that all up right.

I'd love to spank it down to under 5, just on principle.
Suggestions/comments?

saimyoji
08-16-2006, 23:46
Sorry if I misread this, but are you planning to walk barefoot other than your socks?

fiddlehead
08-17-2006, 00:43
seems like your stuff sacks could be lighter. Are they sil-nylon?
I'm not familiar with the territory but is the hat necessary?
Do you need the sleeping pad? doing away with that could put you very close to your goal. Possibly you can pick up leaves, pine needles, etc. and make one each night???
I once hiked with a guy who had a 4 lb baseweight. His best item was a sil-nylon pack that weighed about 4 oz. It was starting to wear a hole in it after 250 miles but hey, you are shooting for under 5. how important is that to you? after all, someone you know can possibly make one.
The only thing i would do different is no knife or just a razor blade, but yours is only one oz. so it's no big help. (and i'd skip the aqua mira & drink the water) have fun. Other hikers are going to be wondering where you left your car.

Tha Wookie
08-17-2006, 01:51
looks like a good list to me. Good luck!

People have been going into the woods with 0 pounds on their backs for thousands of years. Surely we haven't "progressed" too much to accomplish that feat with 5 pounds of stuff!

best wishes!

tarbender
08-17-2006, 02:47
A lighter pack is the only way for you to lose weight. Check out zpacks.com, mountain laurel designs, and gossamer gear. Awesome kit, nice job.

tarbender
08-17-2006, 02:48
Do you carry any kind of light?

rumbler
08-17-2006, 07:09
Wow. On both the light base weight and the daily mileage.

Blue Jay
08-17-2006, 07:21
Waaaay to heavy. How do you expect to get hypothermia with all those clothes.:banana

g8trh8tr
08-17-2006, 08:31
Wow! Weight is very light. I was wondering why you didn't pack a camera then I saw the pace you were going to maintain and that explained it. All the pictures will be blurry at that breakneck speed! Good luck and enjoy.

soulrebel
08-17-2006, 10:34
ditch the 2L platy, ditch the aqua-mira, swap out midweight shirt for micro weight (will dry faster if you need to field wash it), more tp, 1 foot or less of duct tape. oware/bmw sil sacks .3oz should be lighter, i'd add a photon coin cell light .3oz, full size spoon, pair of possumdown gloves (1.3oz), maybe a bala as well,

are you sure the lair and stakes and polycro are only 14oz? i'd think about 16oz. Maybe make a jardine pack that weighs around 8-10oz...

weary
08-17-2006, 12:30
.....How do you expect to get hypothermia with all those clothes.:banana
Keep in mind the ultra-lite pack-carrying guy who started the Pacific Crest Trail last year. They found his body a couple of months ago.

tarbender
08-17-2006, 13:20
Keep in mind the ultra-lite pack-carrying guy who started the Pacific Crest Trail last year. They found his body a couple of months ago.

Hey guys, Going super ultralight is just fine. It is not for everyone though. Going super ultra light requires extensive planning and knowledge. A certain skill set is required. Specifically advanced knowledge of mountain clothing and sleep systems, navigation, survival, and being able to use your kit to keep warm and dry are essential. Going ultralight is not for rookies. Going Super Ultra Light is for hardcore folks with serious kits and serious skill sets some of which I briefly touched on above. One thing I think many people don't understand is that the hardcore fringe of lightweight philosophy actually involves accepting more risk. This philosophy values knowledge and skill highly. Gear is still highly valued in terms of function and quality although not in quantity. Hope this helps. Remember every individual is ultimately their own responsibility in the field. Helping others is the right thing to do, but what if there is no one to help? Be responsible for yourself!
All that said, I am not a super ultralight hiker. I am still working towards that goal.

Cheers, -jeff

dloome
08-17-2006, 21:22
There are some good suggestions here, thanks for the input. Tarbender-Good words, I agree completely. My pack: http://troop72.com/photos/2004/08.sht/fullsize/P8200060.JPG
Kidding. No, I'm not.

Yes I am.

Shoes are New Balance 606. I recently switched to these since I can't find the 83 anymore. Don't know the weight.

Because the days are so much shorter now I may bring my headlamp for night hiking, still undecided on this point.

I forgot about my camera- FujiFilm F460. Very small and light, need to weigh it though. Sheesh, even though I'm doing a bunch of miles what kind of crazy doesn't bring a camera on a hike?! I remember Skurka mentioning he carried something like a 9 lb base on most of his Sea To Sea which included 2.5 lbs of camera. Good call, seriously. His site has some pretty amazing photos.

I am obviously going very light in clothing, notably on insulation. I am able to do this for several reasons- 1. I produce a lot of body heat while hiking and extremely rarely have a need for insulation while hiking other than my FroggToggs jacket and cap. 2. I know my sleeping system and its limitations well. It will be perfectly adequate in the temps I am likely to encounter and then some. 3. The silk liner is the functional equivalent of sleeping clothes. I never wear wet or damp clothes to sleep, synthetic bag or not. The thermal top is mostly for additional torso insulation if the night time temps get freakishly cold. I suppose for this function I could cut the sleeves off (it's pretty old anyway) or use a lighter vest. I'll take a better look at this as this has the biggest potential for weight savings.

Stuff I am keeping: The pack is the stand out heavy item. I'm only resupplying once and the suspension of the Jam will be nice with 6 days of food so it stays. The Platy stays since I drink an absurd amount of water, especially at night to rehydrate and I need the capacity. The pad stays since the SHT gets some use and I want to keep impact to a minimum, so no Daniel Boone pine-bough bed. :( Also keeping the fleece cap. My quilt obviously has no hood and I need a warm head to sleep.

Great suggestion on the knife. I think I'll bring a tiny medical razor my Mom can get at her work and the tweezers from the knife for 1st aid. That saves just about an ounce. I think I'll also ditch the Aqua Mira. I only use it once in a while and the water up there is pretty good. 2.5 oz gone.

Now that I look at it, the stuff sacks are heavy, mostly because of one heavy zippered one I use for food. I can sew up a ripstop one instead. Another 1.5 oz or so gone. Thanks for the suggestions. I think sub-5 may be possible even with the camera. Not like it functionally matters, it just sounds so cool.

Boston- Yes I did go and hike on the Long Trail right after the AT, although not all of it- I got from the Williamstown Inn where Greyhound let's you off to Sherburne Pass in 72 hours (112 miles or so I think, a few of them pavement) and developed some bad pain in my hips and shin splints. I hadn't recovered at all from the AT, I think it was just too much too soon. I didn't have the time or money to wait around and wait until I felt better so I went home early. I wasn't too happy about calling it quits. Still am not. :mad:

fiddlehead
08-17-2006, 23:43
Also, think about cutting the pad down. I made mine so that it extends from my butt to my neck. I use my empty pack rolled up for a pillow and my food bag to prop up my feet. works.
also, i've nighthiked with the photon II which weighs in at .2oz (somebody mentioned .3 but maybe it's a different model. They are bright enough to night hike. Also if there's a half moon waxing, you probably will enjoy it more without a light. (i saw a guy on a thru-hike who just flicked his bic lighter without pressing the button for fuel. lasted the whole hike and it was enough for him to go to the john at night or whatever)
throw away cameras are light and not bad pics although the no. is limited of course.
As far as the doom sayers who think you're going to die out there, you must know that you can be strong enough to get back to the trail where you will usually find help if you get hurt. Then just wait. Too many folks die because searchers or whatever can't find them.
let us know how it went afterwards.