PDA

View Full Version : Cheap silk liners?

vaporjourney
08-17-2006, 05:32
I'm always baffled at finding silk liners priced around $40 or even more. Does anyone know of sites with a liner around or under $20? I find it hard to take the idea seriously of spending so much money for a piece of silk. I'd make one myself if I had a sewing machine, but I dont think that hand-stitching would be strong enough to sleep in. Perhaps there are other lightweight liner alternatives that are cheaper? I want something lightweight to use with my summer quilt when temps drop to around 40 degrees.

hopefulhiker
08-17-2006, 07:23
There is a place in New Zealand that sells good rectangular silk liners for only five dollars.... Plus Shipping... it still is less than twenty dollars. I used one for almost the whole through hike. It lasted until Maine... They also sell possum fur nipple warmers.... Look them up on the Internet. cannot remember name of company though....

hiker5
08-17-2006, 08:33
You must mean these guys:
http://www.nznature.co.nz/

Doctari
08-17-2006, 12:28
Sportsmans Guide sometimes has them, Way cheap.

Also has from time to time silk sleeping bag liners, also cheep.

www.sportsmansguide.com

Doctari.

tarbender
08-17-2006, 13:30
Search for jagbags. They start at about Twenty bucks plus shipping. I don't think you will get much cheaper unless you construct your own silk liner.

SGT Rock
08-17-2006, 13:35
I made my own from silk - ended up costing as much as just buying one. But at least I got to pick a cool pattern.

Kevin A. Boyce
08-17-2006, 13:43
Check Ebay... I was just looking some stuff up there and came across a seller that was offering them for as low as $9.99... Just do a search there on 'silk liners'. Buy at your own risk, I am not selling them...

IdahoDavid
08-17-2006, 13:45
:eek: I can't believe you people are going to let the phrase "possum fur nipple warmers" pass without comment. I think it's a sad day that we as Americans have to depend on fancy imported foreign nipple warmers. Buffalo and beaver nipple warmers were good enough for our pioneer foremothers and I believe we need to support the hard-working men and women in our domestic nipple warmer industry. Also, I would like to see some weight stats on these New Zealand NWs. I'm guessing one of us can come up with something lighter and just as efficient using Pepsi cans and fibreglass insulation. If not, well, the terrorists have already won.

Gray Blazer
08-17-2006, 14:14
:eek: I can't believe you people are going to let the phrase "possum fur nipple warmers" pass without comment. I think it's a sad day that we as Americans have to depend on fancy imported foreign nipple warmers. Buffalo and beaver nipple warmers were good enough for our pioneer foremothers and I believe we need to support the hard-working men and women in our domestic nipple warmer industry. Also, I would like to see some weight stats on these New Zealand NWs. I'm guessing one of us can come up with something lighter and just as efficient using Pepsi cans and fibreglass insulation. If not, well, the terrorists have already won.

I'll help with the research!

vaporjourney
08-17-2006, 17:01
which is better: the liners with an opening in the side, or no opening? The ones with the opening would make sense to make use of a full-zip mummy bag (for winter) but would probably shift all around while sleeping. The ones with no opening would be great for summer under a quilt, but a pain if using a full-zip mummy. opinions?

Smile
08-17-2006, 20:18
http://www.jagbags.co.nz

They are quick with shipping, nice color selection, and well made. Loved mine this year on trail, and good enough for a summer 'bag' when really hot out. They do get stinky though and you do not want to put these in a dryer.

Doctari
08-17-2006, 21:08
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=128370
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=40252
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=279543

Doctari.

fiddlehead
08-17-2006, 23:48
I've been selling nipple warmers online for 3 years now. Here's the link: http://fiddleheadpa.safeshopper.com/16/cat16.htm?260
That's my wife modeling them. (top 3 pics) (before she had our son)

As far as silk liners, I agree with Rock: make your own. silk isn't cheap and the best silk (softest) all comes from China (Thai silk is a lot rougher and heavier) Just use your sleeping bag for a pattern and it'll fit perfectly

Smile
08-18-2006, 00:11
Now that I look around online....perhaps those three words shouldn't be used in the same sentence ;-)

Cheap Silk Liners

highway
12-10-2006, 08:47
http://www.jagbags.co.nz

They are quick with shipping, nice color selection, and well made. Loved mine this year on trail, and good enough for a summer 'bag' when really hot out. They do get stinky though and you do not want to put these in a dryer.

I like Jagbags. I had them sew one for me with a drawstring opening at the bottom (its already opened at the top) for use with a FF Wren sleeping bag which had the same drawstring opening at the bottom as well. This was about 3 years ago-or longer-and was for use with my Hennessey hammock. I have heard they now offer them in that configuration.It worked great while I had the liner as it was wider than the design salt model, where i had a local seamstress do the same thing locally to it.

Why you ask? Well, If I have the need to pee in hammock, I reach down & undo drawstring at bottom of sleeping bag, then liner too, then hike both up to waist, insert feet through hammock slit, stand, lift hammock appropriately, turn and do it. Reverse process and you are back in the rack momentarily:D

Of course, just remember where you stowed your stuff underneath the hammock first or use a little photon light to orient yourself.

saimyoji
12-10-2006, 21:31
I like Jagbags. I had them sew one for me with a drawstring opening at the bottom (its already opened at the top) for use with a FF Wren sleeping bag which had the same drawstring opening at the bottom as well. This was about 3 years ago-or longer-and was for use with my Hennessey hammock. I have heard they now offer them in that configuration.It worked great while I had the liner as it was wider than the design salt model, where i had a local seamstress do the same thing locally to it.

Why you ask? Well, If I have the need to pee in hammock, I reach down & undo drawstring at bottom of sleeping bag, then liner too, then hike both up to waist, insert feet through hammock slit, stand, lift hammock appropriately, turn and do it. Reverse process and you are back in the rack momentarily:D

Of course, just remember where you stowed your stuff underneath the hammock first or use a little photon light to orient yourself.

Try this: cut a "tinkle slit" as appropriately matched to your build, add a zipper/velcro/draw string...then when you get the urge, just open that
slit, open enough of the hammock, do your thing. :D

Frosty
12-10-2006, 21:52
which is better: the liners with an opening in the side, or no opening? The ones with the opening would make sense to make use of a full-zip mummy bag (for winter) but would probably shift all around while sleeping. The ones with no opening would be great for summer under a quilt, but a pain if using a full-zip mummy. opinions?http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/24

I have a bag liner (thermolite, not silk, but the procedure is the same). It has no side opening. It's just a long sack, which makes it nice and light, but it is a real pain to wiggle out of, especially in a crowded shelter. If you sleep through the night without getting up to pee, it would be great, I'm sure. If you are a middle + aged man who makes two or more trips per night, it becomes a major hassle. I've only used it twice. Both times it was cold enough that I put up with the hassle in order to sleep warm. It did make a difference with warmth.

Silk is probably easier to use than the one I have. It isn't as "slippery" as silk, and it is awkward dragging stockinged feet and long-underwear clad legs in and out. It clings.