PDA

View Full Version : If NOT doing maildrops what about bulk items?

Michele
08-17-2006, 09:24
For those of you who did not do mail drops and/or did not use a bounce box either, how did you deal w/purchasing those items that are usually only found in bulk? (you need 4 new ziplocks, but have to buy a box of 20 for instance)

Did you waste a lot of $ or how did you deal w/this?

hopefulhiker
08-17-2006, 09:40
You can check out hiker boxes for free...

Grampie
08-17-2006, 10:35
In my estimation and experience, neither mail drops or a bounce box are needed.
The more things you realy on from the real world ( the world outside the thru-hike ) the better hike you will have. Everything that you will need, on a thru, can be found in the towns along the way. Things like zip-lock bags are always found in hiker boxs along with all the other stuff sent to hikers and they decided they didn't want to carry.
I met a lot of folks who were inconvenienced by having to get to a P O at a certin time to pick up a mail drop or forward a bounce bot. The money spent to send mail drops or forward a bounce box is not well spent, especialy if you are hiking on a budget.
Being independant adds to the enjoyment of a thru-hike.

Grampie-N->2001:sun

soulrebel
08-17-2006, 10:53
You'll need to mail yourself "ziplocs" as it is hard to buy "bulk" items on the trail...:) 4 new ziplocs at a time might be a bit much unless your hiking in a group. :)

Michele
08-17-2006, 15:47
So from what I'm understanding then, this isn't so much an issue, where you're stopping from town to town and having to repurchase stuff you just bought in the town before (but got rid of the extras).

I really don't intend on doing either maildrops or bounce boxes for the reasons stated here, so this is good news. Thanks everyone.

mweinstone
08-17-2006, 19:47
all because they forgot to dump the extra ziplocks. the extra weight must have pulled her over sarge.
leave it in the hiker box and check hiker box each time before you go to the store .also , buy lots of crap and waste it sometimes.really a combination of all these.and above all,are bagles. with cheese and pepperoni. ...........what were we talking about?

fiddlehead
08-17-2006, 23:54
you don't need to use ziplocks. Living outside the US you see that they are a rarity. Most folks just use a plastic bag (lightweight) and a rubber band wrapped around about 6 times. Just as waterproof, a little harder to open, but you figure out the knack soon enough. they even sell Coca Cola in them with ice. just leave a straw sticking out the top and you can hang them on your pack while your walking out of town.

Amigi'sLastStand
08-18-2006, 00:46
I agree. Ziplocs are stupid. Dont bother with them. Just buy trash bags and 200 rubber bands. You can even drink Coke that way. Really, I read that somewhere....