PDA

View Full Version : How much water do I need?

firewaterfarm
08-17-2006, 11:02
I was wondering if someone could tell me how mush water is enough for a 6 hour hike up? (4 miles)
We are doing the airline to madison hut, next day to lake of the clouds (10 miles, pretty flat) and then down.
This is my first hike and I have terrible knees and shoulders and would like to keep my pack as light as I can.
Thanks from a newbie!
We leave on Monday!

icemanat95
08-17-2006, 11:52
2 liters will get you up to Madison Hut, then you refill there to get across to either the Observatory on Mt. Washington or straight to Lake of the Clouds. If you are carrying some means of water treatment, you can usually pick up water along the way up the Airline...water across the summits is a bit scarce though.

firewaterfarm
08-17-2006, 12:40
Thanks Andrew, That's really helpful.
If you are still there, or is there anyone else who could give me an idea of how difficult a hike the Airline from Crawford Notch to Madison hut is.
Then, I pomise I'll stop asking questions..

hammock engineer
08-17-2006, 13:26

No reason to stop. If you hve a question ask, that's why WB is here.

celt
08-17-2006, 13:55
The Airline is a beautiful and popular route to Mount Adams and Madison Springs Hut. Below tree line the trail is typical rugged NE mountain trail, roots and rocks, but well maintained. There is a rather steep section in there too. Above treeline you get spectacular views but the trail is very exposed to bad weather as it climbs over ledge, crags and more rock. It is also very important to take care to follow the trail cairns above treeline as there isn't always a clearly defined treadway. You will also climb 3500 vertical feet in 3.7 miles. Taking all that into consideration its best to allow at least four hours hiking time to get to Madison (add time for breaks and views) Also consider I don't know how strong a hiker you are. Have you hiked in the Whites Before? If not, allowing for more time would be a good idea. If the weather is bad the day of this hike it would be best to not hike the Airline. The Valley Way trail goes directly to Madison Hut and is in the protection of the trees until just a few yards from the hut. You lose the views but considering you plan to traverse the ridgetop the next day (views all day, weather permitting) not much will be lost.

The Gulfside trail is also spectacular in good weather and dreary to dangerous in bad weather. The ridge trails are usually rough, rocky and best approached either slowly and steadily to find the best footing or if you have the strength and agility of a ballet dancer you move accross the tops of the rocks, either way it takes time. I recently did this same hike (in reverse) with my 62 year old mother. She is very fit, from a daily 20-30 mile cycling habit, but finds hiking more difficult because of calluses on her feet. We took nine hours to hike the 7.2 miles. We also avoided all the summits: Clay, Jefferson and Adams which saved us vertical but the trails around the summits though shorter are very rough in places. Daily vertical with the summits will be about 3400', bypassing the summits: 2500', each summit is about 300' of climbing. You may not have my mothers feet but I'd allow one hour for every mile plus time for breaks unless your experienced with hiking in the Presidentials.

A couple quarts of water should be enough to climb up to Madison Hut. 3+ for the ridge walk, especially if its hot and sunny and don't count on getting water. The only reliable spring is near Sphinx Col between Jefferson and Clay on the Gulfside Trail (not the Clay Loop over the summit). Of course there is reliable water at the State Park building on top of Mt Washington, and it comes in flavors too... soda flavor, juice flavor etc...

The AMC White Mountain Guide 27th edition has the best descriptions and trail information.

celt
08-17-2006, 14:02
is there anyone else who could give me an idea of how difficult a hike the Airline from Crawford Notch to Madison hut is.

Just in case... The Airline doesn't start in Crawford Notch. The trail starts at the Appalachia Trailhead on Route 2 between Jefferson and Gorham.

firewaterfarm
08-17-2006, 15:10
Right o!
Yes, of course you are right!
We are getting a ride from Crawford Notch to the trail head.
Thanks for the lovely discription.
It sounds wonderful.
No, I am not experienced, and I am icing my knees right now!
I have patella femoral symdrome and that's what worries me most.
We have 9 hours to do the airline, so we can go at a easy pace.
I'm thinking of bringing some of those instant ice packs for the ol' knees.
3 liters of water it is.

celt
08-17-2006, 16:07
I'm thinking of bringing some of those instant ice packs for the ol' knees.

Good idea. Ask the Hut croo if you can toss them in the freezer overnight. If you talk to Liza, tell her The Mahoosuc Rover sent you.

icemanat95
08-17-2006, 17:11
If the weather is looking at ALL dodgy, I would opt for the Valley Way as well. Or Lowe's Path which runs up to Greyknob Cabin.

1 hour per thousand feet of elevation gain is a good rule of thumb.

orangebug
08-17-2006, 19:01
I think your next set of questions will be how to deal with that horrible pain in knees most of us have experienced on the downhills. I suspect you hardest part of the hike will be the return to the notch.

Between now and then, take as many stairs as you can. Sit and extend your knees straight out, until your thighs exhaust. Consider the purchase/borrow trekking poles. Consider the purchase of knee splints (neoprene knee "socks").

I suspect that water is the least of your concerns. Learn to "camel" water before you leave the car and take a couple liters. If all else fails, walk sideways down the hill.

1Pint
08-17-2006, 20:04
I was wondering if someone could tell me how mush water is enough for a 6 hour hike up? (4 miles)
We are doing the airline to ......

I'm sorry, but due to hightened security threats, no liquids (including water) are allowed on any airline, please pick another hike.

firewaterfarm
08-17-2006, 20:12
Thanks so much.This stuff is invaluable.
I borrowed some poles and I got some knee "socks"
(wearing them now) and some instant ice packs, and plenty of advil.
I think they are well worth the extra weight.
I think that's just about all I can do.
From what I hear the trail that we are taking down isn't the worst.
The Crawford path.
Am I not right.
Love the idea of walking sideways.
That would have never occured to me.
Thanks, thanks, thanks...
;)

orangebug
08-18-2006, 10:22
Leave the ice packs in your motel room.

rswanson
08-18-2006, 18:49
I'm sorry, but due to hightened security threats, no liquids (including water) are allowed on any airline, please pick another hike.
Damn, that was on time man! hahaha