PDA

View Full Version : thru hiker w/broken arm?

6's and 7's
08-17-2006, 12:21
I heard a rumor that a thru hiker broke his arm on his way down katahdin, it was a NOBO. Anyone know who it was?

Jack Tarlin
08-18-2006, 14:10
Over the years, plenty of hikers have continued hiking with broken bones.

Whether this involves persistence, preserverance, stubborness, or simple stupidity, I'm not sure.

Speaking purely for myself, it was most likely the last two.

Heater
08-19-2006, 00:55
Over the years, plenty of hikers have continued hiking with broken bones.

Whether this involves persistence, preserverance, stubborness, or simple stupidity, I'm not sure.

Speaking purely for myself, it was most likely the last two.

Well, it was a NOBO, coming off Kathadin. I'd guess it was just a matter of "crap, I need to get to a doctor" line of thought, Kind of a survival insticts sort of thing. ;)

One Leg
08-19-2006, 22:14
Well, it was a NOBO, coming off Kathadin. I'd guess it was just a matter of "crap, I need to get to a doctor" line of thought, Kind of a survival insticts sort of thing. ;)

Well at least he didn't get snake-bit on the privates whilest taking a dump.:eek: Every cloud has a brown....er.....silver lining.:banana

greentick
08-19-2006, 22:27
Well at least he didn't get snake-bit on the privates whilest taking a dump.:eek: Every cloud has a brown....er.....silver lining.:banana

Wasn't a Georgia Brownsnake was it?:D

greentick
08-19-2006, 22:30
My wife's cousin is SOBO now (Captain Sea-grass). He had a close call with a lightning strike in Maine and later as he was going uphill tripped and dislocated a joint in his small finger. He did a decent reduction in the field.

One Leg
08-20-2006, 00:55
Wasn't a Georgia Brownsnake was it?:D

Hmmm, could've been....

"Ditch Medic on Hiatus"? EMT/Paramedic?

greentick
08-21-2006, 23:56
Hmmm, could've been....

"Ditch Medic on Hiatus"? EMT/Paramedic?

Army medic, now Physician Assistant in the ER. Have been paramedic qualified at one point in my life but never did it as a job...

Thinking about a simple orthopedics addendum to my med article just aint got the time.

Appalachian Tater
08-29-2006, 11:29
fell backwards at one of the iron rungs halfway up Katahdin on Sunday, 27 August 2006, broke his wrist, and was unable to summit.

He started in Key West in January and did over 4,000 miles to get there.

Smile
08-29-2006, 16:34
Ouch. Hope Powerstroke is healing up AOK, definately not the best timing....

Ewker
08-29-2006, 16:55
wow, sorry to hear that about Powerstroke. I met him in April while he was in the Smokies

MOWGLI
08-29-2006, 17:03
I heard a rumor that a thru hiker broke his arm on his way down katahdin, it was a NOBO.

What happened? Someone forgot to tell him to turn around after reaching the sign. Lucky it was only a broken arm. The first step NOBO atop Katahdin is a doozy! :eek: