PDA

View Full Version : 100 Wilderness

State Owl
08-17-2006, 13:28
I am attempting to complete the 100 Wilderness in six days starting on 8/30. I have been doing a ton of working out as well as 5 - 10 mile hikes twice a week. I can't seem to find much about this portion of the AT. I understand it is extremely challenging but I would like to know more about it for example water crossings, bogs, anything will be of help. I will be carrying a max of 30 lbs. Any and all responses will be appreciated, oh I have been told by at least 20 people I will never finish in this time frame...thoughts?

Regards,

Owl

tarbender
08-17-2006, 13:44
It is possible to hike this section in six days if you are in good shape and will be carrying thirty pounds or less. There are plenty of stream and river crossings in the 100 mile so choose your footwear wisely. I would go with some sort of fast drying non goretex light hiker assuming you will be there in warm weather. A pair of crocs might be handy to. You won't need to haul a lot of water though. I would suggest taking more time to enjoy this awesome stretch of trail. Natural sand beaches on lakes and swimming holes in rivers can make a hiker lazy.

Cheers, -jeff

tarbender
08-17-2006, 13:46
I do remember one serious ford of a river. A bridge had been washed out. That was in June of 2005. Contact the MATC about the bridge and general trail conditions. They will probably be able to provide a bunch of good info.

State Owl
08-17-2006, 14:13
Tarbender thanks for the advice, having an on going debate with my hiking partner, where is the official drop in point? Monson is 114 miles I have argued the point the the katadyn Iron Works puts us right at 100 miles. What do yout think?

RITBlake
08-17-2006, 14:23
I understand it is extremely challenging

Hardly, the nothern part of Maine is some of the easiest walking you will find on the AT. The southern part, well now thats a different story.

weary
08-17-2006, 15:02
I do remember one serious ford of a river. A bridge had been washed out. That was in June of 2005. Contact the MATC about the bridge and general trail conditions. They will probably be able to provide a bunch of good info.
My memory must be getting bad, because I don't remember any bridges in the 100 miles. The most serious June crossing is the west branch of the Pleasant River. But water levels should be pretty low by now, though a storm would raise water levels for a few hours or a day or two -- which is one reason for planning on plenty of time.

Thru hikers often do the 100 miles in six days. But no amount of advanced training seems to work for me. I would plan on eight or nine days if possible -- longer if you can swing it. The 100 miles is a great fun section with lots of interesting swimming holes, over looks and side trails. It's a shame, for instance, to do the 100 miles and skip the Gulf Hagas canyon, probably the premier side trail of the entire AT.

The mountains aren't particularly difficult, though the Barren-Chairback range has a lot of ups and downs.

Weary

State Owl
08-17-2006, 15:10
I would love to spend more time out there but family and work obligations have only allowed me this time frame. I am doing this more so as a personal challenge from a mental and physical perspective. I have run two Boston Marathons and countless 10K's and Biathalons. I still am very active but as I rounded 41 ears old I saw to many trends like sitting behind a computer or steering wheel. Next year I plan on doing it again with my brother and will most likely take 8 or 9 days and catch up.

Alligator
08-17-2006, 15:15
I would love to spend more time out there but family and work obligations have only allowed me this time frame. ...What if you are held up and can't make it in the allotted time? You may not necessarily be able to bail out.

State Owl
08-17-2006, 15:34
Good point the goal is six days but if I need the extra time I am taking it. I have finally figured out that the world will not stop if I am late or miss a day or two of work.

Tramper Al
08-17-2006, 17:21
I'm a section hiker, and I hiked the 100 Mile last summer in an even 5 days. I was in decent shape, having hiked a weekend or two in the prior month, but nothing special. I did walk at least 8 hours a day, and stopped to see the sites. I was aiming for 6 days, but packed food for like 7+, just in case.

The 100 Mile terrain is actually not difficult, save for a couple of peaks early and a few river fords. The second half is actually pretty flat, so whatever your pace, the second 50 miles will be faster.

I don't think 6 days is unreasonable for somewhat with decent preparation.

State owl, the 100 Mile is 99 miles and change, running from Monson (at Rt 15) to Abol Bridge, still outside of Baxter. Your remaining roughly 15 miles to the summit are nearly all within the park.

Blue Jay
08-17-2006, 21:20

If there ever was a bridge in the Maine section, it was built by a beaver.

hopefulhiker
08-17-2006, 21:31
A good pick up/drop off point would be Abol bridge. One can do twenty mile days on the northern half..

TJ aka Teej
08-17-2006, 21:34
The plank bridges inside Baxter Park come and go. Right now one's gone. There's one substantial bridge just south of Potaywadjo Spring.
A time limit isn't the best plan. Consider a shorter distance, say KI Road to Abol Bridge or Jo-Mary Road to Monson.

The Old Fhart
08-17-2006, 22:03
I been thru this section about 6 times and I recall crossing Pollywog Stream just north of Crescent Pond on a road bridge. You hit the road, turn left, cross the bridge on the gravel road, then in 100 yards or so you turn right off the road heading toward Rainbow Stream. This is 17.4 miles south of Abol Bridge, map #1.

There is a side road on the right just on the north side of the bridge that goes to Nahmakanta Lake Camps. Just before this bridge was where I saw the largest cedar tree I've ever seen in Maine. Some hikers don't see Crescent Pond because you can bypass it and save some time by taking the gravel road at the crossing south of Crescent Pond and walking the road.

There is another bridge south of Nahmakanta where you cross the road close to the bridge but you don't cross that bridge.

Shutterbug
08-18-2006, 00:38
I am attempting to complete the 100 Wilderness in six days starting on 8/30. I have been doing a ton of working out as well as 5 - 10 mile hikes twice a week. I can't seem to find much about this portion of the AT. I understand it is extremely challenging but I would like to know more about it for example water crossings, bogs, anything will be of help. I will be carrying a max of 30 lbs. Any and all responses will be appreciated, oh I have been told by at least 20 people I will never finish in this time frame...thoughts?

Regards,

Owl

If you are just wanting to get from Monson to Abol, six days is possible. If you are going to enjoy the 100 Mile Wilderness, six days isn't enough. Last year, I started at Abol and hiked south. Each morning I broke camp before 8 a.m. and hiked until dark. On two days, I hiked until well after dark. It took me 8 days to get from Abol to Gulf Hagas (Katahdin Iron Works Road). I was out of time, so I left the trail at that point.

I admit that I lost a lot of time along the way taking pictures, checking the scenery, and observing wild life, but why would anyone want to rush through the Wilderness and skip those things?

You are welcome to see the pictures I took last year --
http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/at.html

For information about the 100 Mile Wilderness, I highly recommend the Appalachian Trail in Maine map set published by Maine Appalachian Trail Club, P.O. Box 283, Augusta, Me 04332.

Shutterbug
08-18-2006, 00:54
I been thru this section about 6 times and I recall crossing Pollywog Stream just north of Crescent Pond on a road bridge. You hit the road, turn left, cross the bridge on the gravel road, then in 100 yards or so you turn right off the road heading toward Rainbow Stream. This is 17.4 miles south of Abol Bridge, map #1.

There is a side road on the right just on the north side of the bridge that goes to Nahmakanta Lake Camps. Just before this bridge was where I saw the largest cedar tree I've ever seen in Maine. Some hikers don't see Crescent Pond because you can bypass it and save some time by taking the gravel road at the crossing south of Crescent Pond and walking the road.

There is another bridge south of Nahmakanta where you cross the road close to the bridge but you don't cross that bridge.

I am fairly sure this is the bridge noth of Crescent Pond. Note the WhiteBlaze on the end of the rail --
http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/dscn0327.html

Tramper Al
08-18-2006, 11:05
I am fairly sure this is the bridge noth of Crescent Pond. Note the WhiteBlaze on the end of the rail --
http://www.naznet.com/mcclung/at/dscn0327.html
That is DEFINTELY the bridge over Pollywog. You can see (especially in photo 0323) the AT logo reflector on the right hand rail. I have not seen this reflector anywhere else on the trail in New England, and I remember it distinctly from Pollywog.

On a side note, I am very disappointed to read here that I could not possibly have ENJOYED my 100 Mile Wilderness hike. That's quite a disappointment, of course, especially since I really thought I had.

Hike your own hike already.

dloome
08-19-2006, 20:53
Go for the whole section, not a smaller one- The 100 mile "Wilderness" is an absolute breeze, it is NOT extremely challenging in the least. If you are in reasonably good shape and aren't carrying a monster pack you should have no problem whatsoever.

If there is a lot of rain, mud could be an issue in this section since it is generally low and boggy in a lot of areas, but this late in the season tons of rain aren't likely.

I think I did it in just over 4 days and that was taking my sweet sweet time, including a long stop at White House Landing. (Recommended!) I seriously enjoyed myself even though I was going way too fast to possibly enjoy myself. HYOH ya know

weary
08-19-2006, 21:14
On a side note, I am very disappointed to read here that I could not possibly have ENJOYED my 100 Mile Wilderness hike. That's quite a disappointment, of course, especially since I really thought I had. ...
All walks in the woods are enjoyable. It's just that some of us also think that the more time we spend doing walks, the more enjoyable they become -- especially when we are exploring an especially remote section that is difficult to return to easily.

Weary

Shutterbug
08-19-2006, 23:00
[quote=Tramper Al]On a side note, I am very disappointed to read here that I could not possibly have ENJOYED my 100 Mile Wilderness hike. That's quite a disappointment, of course, especially since I really thought I had. .../QUOTE]
All walks in the woods are enjoyable. It's just that some of us also think that the more time we spend doing walks, the more enjoyable they become -- especially when we are exploring an especially remote section that is difficult to return to easily.

Weary

Weary, maybe it has something to do with our age. When I was younger, I considered it important to cover as many miles as I could in a day. As I get older, I consider it more important to not miss anything along the way.

boarstone
08-20-2006, 09:00
Tarbender thanks for the advice, having an on going debate with my hiking partner, where is the official drop in point? Monson is 114 miles I have argued the point the the katadyn Iron Works puts us right at 100 miles. What do yout think?
Your start point NOBO is at Monson-Abol not at Katadin Iron Works road unless you want to do only half of it.

dickdurk
08-20-2006, 09:44
I did Katahdin-Pleasant Pond last year (about 140 miles) I found I was unable to maintain my usual pace for long stretches in the Wilderness. Roots, rocks, and bog required careful foot placement; I was going with a failrly heavy pack. Then you have the slate in the southern part- it rained a couple times and that stuff is treacherous when wet.

Bottom line, I did the 100 miles in 9 days, I think it worthwhile to consider reducing expectations to enjoy what the area has to offer.

dickdurk

latte
08-20-2006, 11:35
In July I hiked the 100 mile wilderness (July 1-10). The entire region of upper Maine has just had 2 months solid of rain. The trail was one big BOG! NO PUNCHEONS in normally dry places. Pond that had overtaken the trail, ect. It took us 9 days to get to Gulf Haggis where we bailed. I got a long cut on the back of my knee on day 2. Because of the damp and mud, no bandages would stay on it. It was infected by day 6, and I had to hike until day 9 to get out of the wilderness! It was by far the most extreme hike I have ever taken. It's flatness should not be underestimated because it is under a foot of water. :(

State Owl
08-20-2006, 11:45
I appreciate the feed back very much thanks for the advice. Is there anyway to get trail conditions? How has August been this year on this stretch of trail?

Shutterbug
08-20-2006, 12:54
I appreciate the feed back very much thanks for the advice. Is there anyway to get trail conditions? How has August been this year on this stretch of trail?

It is raining today. The weatherman (out of Portland, Me) is predicting up to one inch of rain in this system, but is also predicting that it will pass through before tomorrow. The rest of this week is supposed to be good weather.

Temperatures are 65/83 in Bangor and will probably be a little cooler in the Wilderness.

Dave

walkin' wally
08-22-2006, 09:56
Lots of mud this year everywhere along this section. I just returned from trail maintenance at Rainbow Lake and I would say you will probably be wet from the rain and mud. It seems like it has rained nearly every day this summer, at least a little, somewhere in Maine. Expect a few short detours around, or walk through, trail sections that are just covered in mud. Some areas don't have bog bridges or step stones.

Shutterbug
08-26-2006, 11:50

Regards,

Owl

I just completed a section hike in the 100 Mile Wilderness. I hiked south bound from Gulf Hagas to Monson. I think I can safely say that there is practically no chance that you will make it through the Wilderness in six days this year.

I did meet one group of 7 hikers (probably the same group who "poisoned the well" in NH and discussed in another thread) who were planning to make it through in six days. When I met them on Barren Mountain, they were behind schedule.

I saw, but did not talk to another who was trying to make it. He passed by our camp site at 10 p.m. in a trot. He was hiking with a head lamp.

I met four different groups who left Monson with the intention of hiking the 100 Mile Wilderness. None of them had plans as short as six days, but all were having trouble keeping their planned schedule. Two members of the first group dropped out at Gulf Hagas and got a shuttle back to Shaw's.

The second group was holed up in the Cloud Pond Lean To. They got the phone number of Shaw's so that they could call for a shuttle. (There is cell phone coverage from the Barren Ledges).

A third group was asking about options for getting out the 100 Mile Wilderness. He was thinking that Bill from White House Landing would take him out. I told him not to count on it except in a dire emergency. Bill needs to be at White House Landing to do the water shuttle.

The fourth group had prepositioned a car at Abol. By the time they got to Long Pond Lean To it was clear that they would not make their planned schedule. The one with the tightest schedule turned around and headed back to Monson.

My own hike went well, but we took 4 1/2 days to get from Gulf Hagas to Monson. Even with a "slow" schedule, it took us three hours longer than planned. Perhaps I am just a wimp, but all week I was thinking, "I am sure glad I didn't plan to do this in less time."

Why do I think it is practically impossible to complete the 100 Mile Wilderness in six days this year? roots, rocks and mud holes.

DawnTreader
08-26-2006, 12:22
I hiked the 100 miles from june 29th-july 8th.
It rained for the first 4 days, then started to get nice. It was one big mud puddle.. My feet wouldn't dry out, they paid the price..I lost a crock in a bog, was up to my waist in mud fishing it out. It was an excellent hike otherwise..

DawnTreader
08-26-2006, 12:24
don't listen to these fools.. you can make it in six days.. I met a group that did it in 4 1/2, in foul weather.. It might suck, but you can do it...

Shutterbug
08-26-2006, 16:34
don't listen to these fools.. you can make it in six days.. I met a group that did it in 4 1/2, in foul weather.. It might suck, but you can do it...

If I count right, you took 10 days (June 28 -- July 8). That sounds about right to me. Under current conditions, 10 miles a day is about right.

State Owl
08-26-2006, 19:15
Shutter bug how about this...PM me you phone number and I will call you when I get down from Katadin on Monday day six, I'll need a lift back to Shaw's. I will not bail out.

;)

State Owl
08-26-2006, 19:26
Shutterbug I read your post again how many people are in these groups one had seven and another four? You can only hike as fast as the slowest hiker. If you go in without being physically prepared you lessen the chance for group success. I am going in with a buddy who has packed across Africa and Egypt not to mention summitting Kilimanjaro and another in SA Peak 21,300 feet. Prepositioning cars is already setting yourself and others to bail out becasue they are there and it easy. You seem to take your time I don't have it so I am going light and fast. Just because you took 4 1/2 days don't assume I can't do it in less. I don't quit.

Shutterbug
08-26-2006, 21:24
Shutterbug I read your post again how many people are in these groups one had seven and another four? You can only hike as fast as the slowest hiker. If you go in without being physically prepared you lessen the chance for group success. I am going in with a buddy who has packed across Africa and Egypt not to mention summitting Kilimanjaro and another in SA Peak 21,300 feet. Prepositioning cars is already setting yourself and others to bail out becasue they are there and it easy. You seem to take your time I don't have it so I am going light and fast. Just because you took 4 1/2 days don't assume I can't do it in less. I don't quit.

Owl
I really hope you enjoy your hike. The one phrase I heard several times this week was, "I wasn't prepared for this." Since you a fully prepared, you will probably find it to be an easy hike.

I would be pleased to provide you with a shuttle, but I will be going back to Washington before you complete your hike.

If you were serious about needing a shuttle back from Abol Bridge to Monson, you can set it up with Shaw's or with Minuteman Taxi. At Monson, you can park at the trail head or at Shaw's. I don't know that there has been a problem at the trail head, but I was more comfortable parking mine at Shaw's. I noticed that most of the cars at the trail head had out of state plates.

When you get back, please give us a report.

State Owl
08-26-2006, 22:00
I will post either way, safe travels.

Owl

Shutterbug
08-26-2006, 22:14
I will post either way, safe travels.

Owl

Here are the pictures I took this week. The first two pictures were taken at Shaw's when we parked our car. Buddy from Shaw's shuttled us to Gulf Hagas parking lot on the Katahdin Iron Work's Road. The pictures, after the first two, start there and show the scenery going south.

There is one picture that was off the trail. At one point, there was a downed tree across the trail. We left the trail to go around the tree and missed a sharp turn. We ended up in the woods off the trail. As we made our way back to the trail, we saw a memorial that looked like a grave site in the middle of the woods. The picture of the cross was "off trail."

Here is a link to the album -- http://www.davemcclung.com/album/thumbnails.php?album=45&page=1

Shutterbug
08-26-2006, 23:48
There is one picture that was off the trail. At one point, there was a downed tree across the trail. We left the trail to go around the tree and missed a sharp turn. We ended up in the woods off the trail. As we made our way back to the trail, we saw a memorial that looked like a grave site in the middle of the woods. The picture of the cross was "off trail."

Here is a link to the album -- http://www.davemcclung.com/album/thumbnails.php?album=45&page=1 (http://www.davemcclung.com/album/thumbnails.php?album=45&page=1)

I found the story on the memorial stone we found in the woods. I guess it was just outside the AT Corridor.

http://www.bangornews.com/a/class/obituaries/obituary.cfm?id=49990

I don't know, but I doubt that a memorial along the trail would be allowed. I am going to guess that his family put it as close as they could get to the place he died without being on U.S. Government Property.

DawnTreader
08-27-2006, 01:02
10 days was perfect for me. But it was no physical challange

Conductor
08-27-2006, 09:21

Owl, I hiked the 100 mile wilderness just last week and mostly in good weather. My partner and I did it in only 5 days Monson-Abol Bridge, but we were in "Get er dun" mode and pushed pretty hard. There are only a few fords, like Big Wilson and Hurd Brook that can really become hazardous in heavy rains. For our run, it wasn't an issue.

Thing is, it could have rained hard, which would have made it different. Also, depending on what you want to get from the hike, you may want to take more time. Six days is not unreasonable.

Its Maine. There are rocks and roots galore, lots of lake shore... (spelled even more rocks and roots.) Very slippery even without wet conditions.

Also, its August. The 100 mile wilderness was crowded and most shelters were occupied by folks who end their hike at 3:00 in the afternoon. Plan to tent. It's a popular place, and accessible by many roads at many points. Very nice section of trail though, and possibly the easier third of Maine, not that any of Maine is easy. :)

Have a great hike!

Shutterbug
08-27-2006, 21:43

Regards,

Owl

Owl

You will be encouraged by this trail journal. She completed the 100 Mile Wilderness last week and took only six days and had a lot of free time in the afternoons. She said that "after the first two days" it was easy. Her first two days were the same part I hiked last week, so I may have seen the worst part.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=153063