PDA

View Full Version : Boots or shoes?

Earl Grey
08-18-2006, 12:00
Im starting to put my hiking gear together and its time to start thinking about clothes/footwear. Im an avid runner so I know alot about shoes but not too much about hiking boots. Are they needed for hiking in the AT? Theyre waterproof and probaly warmer but they do weigh more. What about a hybrid? I use Asics Gel Kayano XI for running and they could be a good trail shoe maybe. Heres a shoe/boot. And who makes good hiking footwear?

http://www.merrellboot.com/Shop/Detail.aspx?NavID=FT-O-HIK&PID=10413

mingo
08-18-2006, 12:04
shoes are fine. they dry faster too

Big Dawg
08-18-2006, 12:06
You'll get varied answers here. I suggest trail runners. I use the Vasque Breeze Low. I also have Vasque Superhikers, and have used them many miles on the trail, but I feel they're overkill for the AT, unless I'm stompin around in a foot of snow.

Footslogger
08-18-2006, 12:22
I'm a convert to trail shoes, having started my 2003 thru in boots. My original concern was whether or not the shoes would provide as adequate ankle support as boots. But truth be told, if you're going to turn an ankle you will most likely suffer injury in either boots or low cuts.

Trail shoes are lighter/cooler and as already pointed out ...they dry faster (and you WILL get them wet on the AT).

If you do opt for trail shoes, one thing to look for is a shoe with a rather stiff/thick outsole. Regular running shoes or the more fashion based trail shoes tend to have a soft/cushy outsole. You're feet are more prone to bruising to stone/rocks with the softer outsoles.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
08-18-2006, 12:27
Im starting to put my hiking gear together and its time to start thinking about clothes/footwear. Im an avid runner so I know alot about shoes but not too much about hiking boots. Are they needed for hiking in the AT? Theyre waterproof and probaly warmer but they do weigh more. What about a hybrid? I use Asics Gel Kayano XI for running and they could be a good trail shoe maybe. Heres a shoe/boot. And who makes good hiking footwear?

http://www.merrellboot.com/Shop/Detail.aspx?NavID=FT-O-HIK&PID=10413

I have hiked a lot of miles in the same shoes I run in. Maybe you can skip buying trail specific footware and try it to. Just keep the weight low.

But think of this. Impact from a foot strike from running is usually much higher than from walking - even walking with a pack on. So your footware is already designed for some beatings.

Earl Grey
08-18-2006, 12:30
So something like this?

http://www.merrellboot.com/Shop/Detail.aspx?NavID=FT-O-ACT&PID=11500

Earl Grey
08-18-2006, 12:32
I have hiked a lot of miles in the same shoes I run in. Maybe you can skip buying trail specific footware and try it to. Just keep the weight low.

But think of this. Impact from a foot strike from running is usually much higher than from walking - even walking with a pack on. So your footware is already designed for some beatings.

I didnt think of it that way. You put a massive amount of pressure when you run. Im not sure if the running shoes "grip" as good as a trail type shoe. For instance if youre on a slippery slope the running shoes would be more "slicker".

Footslogger
08-18-2006, 12:33
Not familiar with that particular shoe but Merrill makes some pretty trail worthy footwear in my experience.

All things being equal, the first thing that tends to go is the toe area, unless there is a full rubber toe cap on the shoe ...and even then they generally fail sooner or later due to all the toe scuffing from the rocks.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
08-18-2006, 12:34
That looks nice. I would try it on first. Since you are a runner you probably know your foot type and needs. I have a high arch and have to stick with a cushion sole to avoid foot problems and shin splints. Some boots and shoes look great but feel like crap for walking.

I assume you know what I am talking about.

SGT Rock
08-18-2006, 12:36
I use Nike Air Pegasus for running. I have tried some Merril and they were OK, but not as good as my Nike running shoes for my feet. I also have some New Ballance trail runners that seem to work. Jury still deciding.

I have once slipped in mud in my Nike coming down a mountain. Other than that the tread has not been an issue. The soles were caked in mud and I tend to belive any sole could have had that problem based on the red clay of GA.

mingo
08-18-2006, 12:42
i wear running shoes mostly and sometimes my feet hurt because of rocks but the advantages outweigh the disadvantages

Time To Fly 97
08-18-2006, 13:37
I thru-ed with Vanque Super Hikers and felt that they did a great job. One the PCt, I used oversized running shoes with gel inserts and these worked well too...but I think the AT is too rocky for these.

My compromise, and the best solution I've experienced is with a low boot by Merill "Pulse II" These dry very quickly and still give plenty of support (I work out with these with a 90 pound weight vest - Very durable).

Happy hiking!

TTF

rswanson
08-18-2006, 17:33
I have recently turned to trail runners, despite my trick ankle. I don't think that the ankle support of mids- or highs- does much more for me than to move any ankle injuries higher up, which are more difficult injuries to recover from. The worst sprain I've suffered occured while wearing mids.

I went through several different makes and models of trail runners before settling on Salomon XA Pro 3D's. They fit me best as I need a roomy toe box with medium width feet. They're decent enough on the rocks to allow me to put 15-20 mile days over PA rocks. Overall, a big thumbs up.

When deciding between trail runners and boots another big difference to consider is durability. Obviously, you're going to go through more trail runners than boots and they aren't that much cheaper, so you have to allow for a larger 'shoe budget'. Even though the boots vs. shoes debate ends up being largely a matter of opinion and personal preference, I think that's one issue that hardly anyone would dispute.

rswanson
08-18-2006, 18:46
...Im an avid runner so I know alot about shoes but not too much about hiking boots. Are they needed for hiking in the AT? Theyre waterproof and probaly warmer but they do weigh more...
Oh, as an aside, don't bother with 'waterproof' footwear. On the AT your feet WILL get wet. Even the most waterproof boots have a big hole in them...at the top! You might be fine for an overnighter or three but after one serious deluge, you'll regret not having quick drying foot wear. Even if you go for the big, heavy duty, full grain leather, GTX lined boots and wear waterproof socks, your feet will sweat so much the effect will be the same.

IMO, go with the most breathable, quickest drying shoes you can find that will fit you comfortably. That way you'll at least have dry feet soon after the rain stops, not 2 days later when your leather hikers finally dry out and you're one giant blister.

dloome
08-18-2006, 20:08
Here's my $0.02: Although footwear doesn't contribute to your pack weight, it is the most important area where you should look at weight. Because weight on your feet is costantly being accelerated and decelerated as you hike, the weight of your footwear has a huge cummulative affect on your total energy expenditure and mileage. Boots can easily weigh twice as much as running shoes or trail runners. You want the lightest, most breathable footwear that will still suit your needs.

Only get boots for the ankle support if you ACTUALLY NEED IT. Most reasonably fit folks with a pack that isn't excessively heavy do not need it.

The whole "waterproof-breathable" thing being pushed so much by shoe and boot companies is a bit of a misnomer. The more a shoe resists external moisture, the less it breathes and you have to deal with wet feet from condensation problems constantly. I've found there are VERY few situations where a W/B trail runner is superior to my non-waterproof sneakers. In any substantial rain or consistently wet trail YOUR FEET WILL GET WET, regardless of what you're wearing. Sure, boots may keep you dry for a little longer, but what pecentage of time is it actually raining, or are you actually hiking on a very wet trail? Is it really worth carrying an extra pound or more on your feet and dealing with increased condensation 100% of the time so you can enjoy an extra few minutes of dryness for the, say, 10% of the time it's actually raining?

On my thru hike of the AT I hiked in nothing but lightweight New Balance sneakers (83 and 606) and one pair of very light, thin bike socks, or in my Crocs. Had 0 blisters. Sure, I hiked in some deep, slushy snow early on where boots may have been superior, but that was a total of maybe 5 days out of just over 100 I was on the trail. The point is, no single type of footwear will peform ideally over a long hike, the situations are just too diverse for that, use what will be most functional and comfortable the majority of the time.

nano
08-18-2006, 20:28
All you need are trail shoes...look at adventure racing shoes because they are light, designed to take punishment and dry awful fast. You will need multiple pairs on the trail, but in the long run its worth it. A wet boot doesnt dry out for 2 weeks, unlike trail shoes which only need a day. I have recently used Salomon Super Low X2's and they worked great in mud, snow, and under water for that matter. Good Luck!:sun

gumball
08-18-2006, 20:43
I switched to trail runners this year. I have battled blisters in my boots for the past several years, but this year we went full swing into a lighter weight style of hiking. I have been terrorized to tears from blisters over the PA rocks in my boots--this year, we hiked PA's rockiest sections again, both in trail runners and NO blisters...zero, none, zilch. Felt great--didn't like the rocks, but didn't hate them either. I am a convert.

Earl Grey
08-19-2006, 00:54
Ill probaly end up with trail shoes. Something with good ankle support and something that will dry fast.

Footslogger
08-19-2006, 10:09
Ill probaly end up with trail shoes. Something with good ankle support and something that will dry fast.
================================

Trail shoes by design don't offer much if any ankle support.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
08-19-2006, 10:53
And to add to what 'slogger said. You really don't need ankle support as you may have been led to believe.

chief
08-19-2006, 14:42
So as not to do you a disservice, I'd suggest you do some hiking over varied terrain with boots and again with trail shoes. See what works for your ankles, your style of hiking and the weight you're carrying. Personally, I do boots. The idea that boots don't really provide ankle protection or that you really don't need ankle protection anyway, just makes no sense. I guess if you're carrying a lightweight pack, can concentrate on every foot landing and won't be hiking on rocks or roots, you're good to go with any kind of footwear.

Mother's Finest
08-19-2006, 15:00
when folks talk about needing ankle support, often times what they actually need is support for their midfoot. when a persons mid foot collapses, and rotates medially, this often causes the ankles to turn outwards (when viewed from behind), increasing the opportunities for sprains.
proper arch support will stabilize the foot and allow the shoe to do its job of controlling the heel from side to side....
peace
mf